PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap

jmcgarrahan
04-09-2007, 16:19
I am planning to meet my husband Saturday the 21st at Davenport Gap more specifically Standing Bear Farm. I will get into the area Friday night so I need a room, I looked and though Im not sure, there doesn't appear to be much in Hartford, TN the closest town...Is that correct or am I missing something?

Lone Wolf
04-09-2007, 16:21
Newport, Tn. is close by. Lots of motels just off I-40 there.

jmcgarrahan
04-09-2007, 16:23
How long from Newport to Standing Bear Farm for me to drive come Saturday morning?

Lone Wolf
04-09-2007, 16:27
How long from Newport to Standing Bear Farm for me to drive come Saturday morning?

less than 1/2 hour.

jmcgarrahan
04-09-2007, 16:28
Thanks so much L.Wolf. You have been a great help....

Lone Wolf
04-09-2007, 16:29
less than 1/2 hour.

according to mapquest it's 18.5 miles and a 24 minute drive.

jmcgarrahan
04-09-2007, 16:36
yea thats what I got after asking such a stupid question. Thanks alot. I guess I have been reading on here so much information, and you guys are so privy to the information I need, I guess I got lazy on my research. This is all kinda new to me. Thanks for all your help.....I have no doubt when he gets to VA, I'll be back on here asking more stupid questions. So look for it...;)

Fannypack
04-09-2007, 17:52
.....I have no doubt when he gets to VA, I'll be back on here asking more stupid questions. So look for it...;)
suggestion: if u plan on mtg your husband in VA and maybe slackpacking him some, u may want to invest in a VA Gazeteer ($19.95) - the AT is marked on it... an oz. of prevention is worth a lb. of cure.

Gray Blazer
04-09-2007, 22:11
Stay at the Family Inn in Newport. Just a suggestion. You can go next door and see the huge people grazing at Ryan's. Just don't get between them and the buffet.:D

Rain Man
04-09-2007, 22:35
I agree with L. Wolf about Newport, TN, but have you thought of staying at Standing Bear Farm itself? Or is it booked up? Anyway, don't overlook SBF if rustic interests you.

Since it appears you might be coming from the Carolina side of things, you could just stay in the Asheville area. Lots of places there. Then finish your drive to SBF the next day.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
04-10-2007, 09:16
I agree with L. Wolf about Newport, TN, but have you thought of staying at Standing Bear Farm itself? Or is it booked up? Anyway, don't overlook SBF if rustic interests you.

Since it appears you might be coming from the Carolina side of things, you could just stay in the Asheville area. Lots of places there. Then finish your drive to SBF the next day.

Rain:sunMan

the lady is driving from the SC coast. she ain't gonna want to stay in a friggin hostel for crissake.

jmcgarrahan
04-11-2007, 19:20
And I was hoping for a bit more privacy, not to mention I really don't want to take a weary hikers space at the hostel. Thanks guys....

napster
04-11-2007, 20:08
My wife met me at standing bear and we stayed alone in the honeymoon suite and closed all the curtains.:D Napster

Doctari
04-12-2007, 13:52
It took us about 1 hr to get to the Western edge of asheville from the hostel last Thursday PM, (the wife & I just stopped to say "HI", then left) there are several nice motels in that area. We stayed at the Ramada, a nice place, can't remember the exit #, sorry.

To get to the hostel, if you need the directions, take I40 to the waterville rd Exit, go Right, the road almost immediatly turns into a gravel rd, the hostel is the first house on the right. I was able to park just off the road at the driveway, there is ONE spot. BTW, take TP, there usually is none in the privy.

Doctari.