PDA

View Full Version : weather in smokies and NC mountains this spring?

DavidNH
04-09-2007, 16:50
HI folks!

It has been an unusually chilly spring up here in New England (2007)
with a snow storm last week and perhaps one more coming this Thursday.

I am curious, have hikers seen any snow in the Smokies and other carolina mtns such as Max Patch? Any rain storms? heat waves? have conditions been average or worse or better than normally?

Have any weather horror stories to share about this hiking season?

Please reference just conditions for April and late March.

Thanks! I can't wait to hear your stories!

DavidNH

booney_1
04-09-2007, 17:11
We just had a real cold weekend in the whole state. It snowed as far east as winston-salem. In Greensboro this weekend the lows were in the mid-20's.
10 days before this it was unseasonably warm (low 80's). Hikers on the AT were cold this weekend for sure.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2007, 17:25
HI folks!

It has been an unusually chilly spring up here in New England (2007)
with a snow storm last week and perhaps one more coming this Thursday.

I am curious, have hikers seen any snow in the Smokies and other carolina mtns such as Max Patch? Any rain storms? heat waves? have conditions been average or worse or better than normally?

Have any weather horror stories to share about this hiking season?

Please reference just conditions for April and late March.

Thanks! I can't wait to hear your stories!

DavidNH

David, did you check out the Franklin, snowing like hell thread. Lots of stories there.

littlelaurel59
04-09-2007, 21:50
I hiked Three Top Mtn in NW NC last Friday. It is perhaps 20-30 miles due south of Mt Rogers. While it was clear where I was, I could see that Mt Rogers and White Top were snow covered. Beautiful.

We have gone from winter to summer, back to winter in piedmont NC. A week ago, highs were in the 80's; over the weekend, in the low 40's. I'm hoping for a stretch with something in between.

Gray Blazer
04-09-2007, 21:59
I hiked out to groundhog shelter on Tuesday night and even though I knew a cold front was coming I could not resist the temptation of setting up on that ridge overlooking lake Hiawasee. Beautiful view! Sure enough when the cold front came through at 1:30 am, the first huge blast bent my front tent stake (a cheap one obviously) and my tent came down on me. I had an extra titaniun stake and I got out and put it in during the worst of the storm and I was alright after that. Other thru-hikers were not as fortunate as I, which in a way, since I am a trash hiker, made me feel pretty good about my equipment.

SGT Rock
04-09-2007, 22:01
A can attest to that. Gray Blazer embraces dirtbagging.

Gray Blazer
04-09-2007, 22:06
Thanks, Sarge.

Rain Man
04-09-2007, 22:09
My wife and I hiked the 11.2 miles from Spivey Gap, NC to Erwin, TN this past Saturday. It was about 27 degrees when we started at 8:45. We were toasty as long as we kept hiking.

I've been calling her "Mrs. Rain Man," but this weekend she declared she wanted her own trail name and decided on "Stitch" because she likes to quilt, needle-point, and sew. So, Stitch it is!

On Sunday (Easter), I hiked from Erwin to Indian Grave Gap in the morning. It was 19 degrees when I hit the trail at Erwin at 7:15. Again, I was toasty as long as I kept moving.

Here are links to photos of each of us from Saturday morning, which I just uploaded.
Stitch--
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16029&c=531
Rain Man--
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16030&c=531

You asked for snow... you've got snow. :)

Rain:sunMan

camich
04-10-2007, 14:31
Great pics Rain Man...glad ya'll stayed warm. We're itchin' to get out there but stuff keeps happening to prevent it. Stitch is a cool trail name!!

Scaper
04-10-2007, 23:26
David the first week of May in 1992 some parts of the smokies had over 4 feet of snow.