PDA

View Full Version : Slackpacker's dilemma.

Heater
04-10-2007, 08:01
What percentage of the trail can you slackpack and still have it considered a valid thruhike?

rafe
04-10-2007, 08:04
What percentage of the trail can you slackpack and still have it considered a valid thruhike?

100%, apparently. Ask Warren Doyle. ;)

Grampie
04-10-2007, 08:40
I only have one question. Who decides who is disqualified?:-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-10-2007, 08:41
The ATC does not specify that a backpack must be carried to earn the 2,000 mile patch. In the same spirit, I cannot see any reason that that anyone who walks the entire length of the trail in a single year should not be considered a thru-hiker regardless of what they did (or didn't) carry on their back during any portion of the trip.

If carrying a pack is necessary, then does being an ultralighter make you less worthy than carrying a MN Smith size load?

Cookerhiker
04-10-2007, 08:58
The ATC does not specify that a backpack must be carried to earn the 2,000 mile patch. In the same spirit, I cannot see any reason that that anyone who walks the entire length of the trail in a single year should not be considered a thru-hiker regardless of what they did (or didn't) carry on their back during any portion of the trip.

If carrying a pack is necessary, then does being an ultralighter make you less worthy than carrying a MN Smith size load?

Agree. And if one must carry a full pack 100% of the way to be a "pure" thruhiker, I guess that means even up the 5.2 miles to Katahdin.

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 09:14
I said 0% just to be a jerk. ;)

I decide how you will hike!!!:datz

Lone Wolf
04-10-2007, 09:33

slackpack once and you're a weenie.

Lone Wolf
04-10-2007, 09:33
Agree. And if one must carry a full pack 100% of the way to be a "pure" thruhiker, I guess that means even up the 5.2 miles to Katahdin.

i've carried a full pack up katahdin many times

generoll
04-10-2007, 09:53
clarify a point for me, if you please. the 2000 mile patch or whatever it is called, must this be done in one calendar year or within 365 days from start to finish? just wondering if there's any reason why someone who sections hikes the trail from start to finish over a period of years would be considered dishonest if they applied for the patch.

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 09:54
nope. no time limit

Heater
04-10-2007, 09:59
I said 0% just to be a jerk. ;)

I decide how you will hike!!!:datz

Do I have to carry one of those greasepots? :(
...and hammock?

:D

generoll
04-10-2007, 10:15
nope. no time limit

Thanks for the response. I'd assumed that there was no time limit, but hadn't actually researched the matter.

Moon Monster
04-10-2007, 10:20
If my pack weighed 20 lbs with all my gear and yours weighed 40 lbs with all your gear, do I get credit for only half a thru-hike or do you get credit for two thru-hikes? Silly, so slackpacking can't be a weight issue. Must then be an issue of support.

Footslogger
04-10-2007, 10:26

==============================

RIGHT ON !!

'Slogger

Heater
04-10-2007, 10:26
If my pack weighed 20 lbs with all my gear and yours weighed 40 lbs with all your gear, do I get credit for only half a thru-hike or do you get credit for two thru-hikes? Silly, so slackpacking can't be a weight issue. Must then be an issue of support.

Everything you need to be self sustaining without dedicated resupply support or shuttles.

Footslogger
04-10-2007, 10:28

==============================

Slackpack once, twice ...whatever.

Walk from GA to ME (or vice versa) and you've hiked the trail end-to-end and walked more than 2000 miles.

'Slogger

Heater
04-10-2007, 10:29

Well it's a dilemma... so I guess it would be the hiker his/herself.

If not, then Lone Wolf. :D

rafe
04-10-2007, 10:29

Good point. We've some folks here who clearly feel that ultra-lighting (or slackpacking) is for weenies, and real hikers (ie., hikers back in the "good old days") would never stoop to carrying a load less than 45 lbs, or -- g*d forbid, not carring a full pack at all.

It's almost as if we want credit for simple pain, deprivation, and boredom. You know, I'm a better hiker than you 'cuz my hike was boring and hurt a lot more. :rolleyes:

Gaiter
04-10-2007, 10:32
backyard boogie who is hiking this year tried slackpacking for the first time at miss. janet's (he ended up spending a week there) last i saw him his goal is to slackpack at least 20% of the trail. HooYah!!! (as he likes to say)

Rain Man
04-10-2007, 10:32
Everything you need to be self sustaining without dedicated resupply support or shuttles.

Hmmmm... what if my wife resupplies and shuttles me, BUT she's not very dedicated?!

I can easily see how a 20 lb pack only qualifies as half the hike that a 40 lb pack qualifies a hiker for. But how does we reliably rate support dedication? And what happens if she starts out 100% dedicated to the undertaking, but abandons me by Maine? Do I get partial credit for a real thru-hike?

What if it's sunny more than half my days? Or, rainy more than half? I can see this is a slippery slope, not to mention a tough nut to crack!

What if I fall down and slide on my butt past a white blaze or two, instead of actually hiking past them?! Oh my gosh! Am I losing it?!

Rain:sunMan

Lumberjack
04-10-2007, 12:19
We better get to springer and pass out bricks to all those whos packs are to light to qualify.....

:}

mrc237
04-10-2007, 13:54
never carried a full pack up katadin:::::::::never had a problem

rafe
04-10-2007, 13:56
It's the pain, main. Points for pain. If it's too easy or you're having fun, it doesn't count.

Skyline
04-10-2007, 14:31
To qualify for the ATC patch, publication in the magazine, get the certificate, etc. you only need to walk the entire white-blazed AT as it existed at the time of your hike. Doesn't matter if it took two months or 20 years. Doesn't matter if you humped a 70# pack or a 1# fannypack. Doesn't matter how you resupplied.

That's ATC's expectations. Others may have different expectations. If you don't intend to sign the ATC application and claim you hiked the actual white-blazed AT all the way, it really shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself how you hiked it.

-MYST-
04-10-2007, 14:40

Exactly, carrying everything you need to stay in the woods and not have to be picked up at the end of a 'day hike'. Slackpacking to me is day hiking, and it some how cheapens 'my' idea of a thru-hike. But that is 'my thru-hike' and probrably not yours. I like the thought of being 'trail based' and only going into the cities for resupply during the day and not being 'city based' and only going into the woods for the day.

-MYST-
04-10-2007, 14:42
To qualify for the ATC patch, publication in the magazine, get the certificate, etc. you only need to walk the entire white-blazed AT as it existed at the time of your hike. Doesn't matter if it took two months or 20 years. Doesn't matter if you humped a 70# pack or a 1# fannypack. Doesn't matter how you resupplied.

That's ATC's expectations. Others may have different expectations. If you don't intend to sign the ATC application and claim you hiked the actual white-blazed AT all the way, it really shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself how you hiked it.

But that is for a 2000 miler patch not a "Thru-Hiker" patch or recognition. ATC has no 'thru-hiker' recognition.

emerald
04-10-2007, 15:07
Can excess weight carried be used to offset deviations from the pure white route when applying for 2000 miler certification? In particular, I'm wondering how many miles is a full pack carried from Katahdin Stream Campground to Baxter Peak worth?

If the offset is allowed, is the credit taken mile for mile? May I substitute 5.2 miles of blue blazes toward my total and is my total required 2000 or the actual number of trail miles reported in ATC's A.T. Data Book in the year I apply?

Maybe I'm off the mark entirely. Perhaps people who carry excess weight get penalized? Maybe those miles in excess of 2000 are meant to serve as additional punishment for those who insist on carrying more than actually required?:confused:

On the other hand, I may be nothing more than off-topic as usual.:D Upon further inspection, I now see that's the case as the original question had nothing to do with 2000 miler certification by ATC.:o

FWIW I would have voted 100% were it an option and I did vote this time.

Heater
04-10-2007, 15:32
Can excess weight carried be used to offset deviations from the pure white route when applying for 2000 miler certification?

Yes, but as you pass each blaze you must walk backwards and repeat the phrase "Makalaka hee laka hiny he ho" a minimum of three times while making hula dancing motions with your left hand.

Heater
04-10-2007, 15:40
Yes, but as you pass each blaze you must walk backwards and repeat the phrase "Makalaka hee laka hiny he ho" a minimum of three times while making hula dancing motions with your left hand.

P.S. Extra points for fluent hip swivel movement.

rafe
04-10-2007, 15:44
never carried a full pack up katadin:::::::::never had a problem

Like to see LW climb down the Knife Edge with a full pack. ;)

Skyline
04-10-2007, 18:19
But that is for a 2000 miler patch not a "Thru-Hiker" patch or recognition. ATC has no 'thru-hiker' recognition.

Yes, you are correct. ATC does not distinguish between thru-hikers, section hikers, etc. Everyone who submits the application gets the "2,000-miler" patch and recognition for completing the entire AT after the application is reviewed.

BTW, the term "2,000-miler" is not to be taken literally--it is merely a throwback to the days when the AT was much closer to 2,000 miles. This year, I believe, to be totally accurate ATC would have to invent something like a "2,175-miler" patch but since the cumulative mileage of the AT changes each year due to relos it would be inefficient to keep changing the numbers on the patches.

Jester2000
04-10-2007, 18:44
This is such a non-issue it's funny.

It's not called thru-backpacking, is it? With 50 lb. pack, fanny pack, tuba, van support, seeing eye dog, one leg, big beard, clean shaven, blue blazing, walking backwards, smoking Camels, playing four-square at every shelter, not staying in shelters, going to feeds, slacking, doing the "four state challenge" or not. . .Jesus.

Isn't it difficult regardless of how we choose to do it? I mean, as long as you don't snivel, who cares?

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 18:47
If you remember a while back a proposal about hiking with only 5 resupplies. I therefore move that anyone that uses more than 5 resupplies of any type is a weenie head and can't get thru-hiker recognition from the ATC.

Top that! :p

humunuku
04-10-2007, 18:49

I don't even know why this thread exists. Are we really going to start to have to justify our hike as legal? Is the AT of the future going to have referees? Is there going to be a penalty box if you blue blaze?

Wow, I though the trail would be a place where you can get away from living up to someone elses standards.

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 18:50
I don't even know why this thread exists. Are we really going to start to have to justify our hike as legal? Is the AT of the future going to have referees? Is there going to be a penalty box if you blue blaze?

Wow, I though the trail would be a place where you can get away from living up to someone elses standards.

(It really is, but there are some people that like to think they can control your hike. It really offends them if you snub their "rules")

emerald
04-10-2007, 18:52

I presume that's to be done between the first and second tag on double-white blazes, but is it to be done before or after tagging the single white blazes? I think there may be a picture in WhiteBlaze's gallery of a young lady entitled something like first white blaze -- it's a double -- engaged in this ritual, either that or she was executing a double-tag.:)

Jester2000
04-10-2007, 18:59
I presume that's to be done between the first and second tag on double-white blazes, but is it to be done before or after tagging the single white blazes? I think there may be a picture in WhiteBlaze's gallery of a young lady entitled something like first white blaze -- it's a double -- engaged in this ritual, either that or she was executing a double-tag.:)

As you tag each blaze, be sure to yell out "1,2,3 you're my man, no breaksies!"

emerald
04-10-2007, 19:02
Is the AT of the future going to have referees? Is there going to be a penalty box if you blue blaze?

Has the motion concerning a penalty box been properly seconded? If so, I move to ammend that blue blaze be striked and the word sniveling be substituted.

rickb
04-10-2007, 19:06
An AT thru hike requires you walk through 14 states, and climb Katahdin, right?

If you agree, you subscribe to the idea there are "rules".

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 19:06
Yes, lets allow blue blazing, I am just tired of sniveling. Especially sniveling about blue blazing. Sniveling about blue blazing shall double the time in the penalty box.

emerald
04-10-2007, 19:36
Has anyone ever encountered the black knight who utters "None shall pass?":eek: ;) on the A.T.? What did you do?:D

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 19:38
I saw this in a movie once.

Cut off his legs.

emerald
04-10-2007, 19:45
i've carried a full pack up katahdin many times

whoopie do

Google toolbar indicates it's whoopee do! Just thought you might want to know.;)

I carried my full pack across The Knife Edge!:p

emerald
04-10-2007, 19:47
I saw this in a movie once.

Cut off his legs.

I don't believe that would discourage him!:rolleyes:

saimyoji
04-10-2007, 20:01
You'll be okay so long as you wear your knee-cap-guards.

The Old Fhart
04-10-2007, 20:05
There is no 'requirement' to carry anything at all when you hike the A.T. but I personally think the minimum requirement would be that you at least wear clothes.:eek:

bigmac_in
04-10-2007, 20:24
This has to be one of the stupidest polls I've ever seen on this sight...Maybe you can ask Wingnut - he makes the rules doesn't he? (sarcasm in case you don't recognize it). I wasn't aware there were rules........ JUST LET THE PEOPLE HIKE !!

Tin Man
04-10-2007, 21:16
The next time I see a white blaze, I am going to duck and bushwhack around it so it doesn't see me. Then I am going to discard my pack and see if it finds me at the next road crossing. And finally, I am going to snivel for all those who felt repressed or deprived over their purist dreams ran asunder.

emerald
04-10-2007, 23:00
:-? Where's freefall when you need his contributions?

Skyline
04-11-2007, 11:01
This has to be one of the stupidest polls I've ever seen on this sight...Maybe you can ask Wingnut - he makes the rules doesn't he? (sarcasm in case you don't recognize it). I wasn't aware there were rules........ JUST LET THE PEOPLE HIKE !!

Well, there aren't any RULES about hiking the AT beyond those imposed by managers of public lands where they may prohibit camping, fires, dogs, etc. at certain places.

What some hikers cite is not an enforced rule but more of an honor-system expectation that appeared on the ATC website last time I looked: (paraphrasing) that if you are going to sign the ATC application for official recognition (patch, publication in the magazine, certificate of completion) you should have actually hiked the official white-blazed Appalachian Trail in its entirety as it existed at the time of your hike. Detours are encouraged in the event of severe life-threatening weather, forest fires, etc.

If you do not want to do the whole actual trail, no problem! But some of us will say: Be honest about your hike and don't sign that application.

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 17:06
Or snivel about it.

Skyline
04-11-2007, 17:27
Google toolbar indicates it's whoopee do! Just thought you might want to know.;)

I carried my full pack across The Knife Edge!:p

It's definitely not Whoopi-do. That's Ms. Goldberg's hairstyle.

emerald
04-11-2007, 18:00
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary lists whoop-de-do or -doo, a noun that might describe WhiteBlaze.net at times or perhaps this thread.

fiddlehead
04-11-2007, 19:17
I'm a little bored here this morning so thought i'd check out this thread for some laughs.
Turns out, that on the 1st page, most all are serious.
Unbelievable! Some people need a rule for everything i guess.
What do you folks do when you pass someone on the trail? Is there a rule on whether you should pass on the left or right?
Reminds me of a time on the PCT when someone had come and dumped a truckload of brush right on the middle of the trail. My buddy Rainman knew that there were some "do-gooders" right behind him so he decided to stop and take a break just to see what they would do. They got there, looked at the brush pile and after a few seconds of thinking, asked him what he thought they should do. They finally realized that for some things, there are no rules. He said it was like a light going on in their eyes when they realized they might have to think for themselves out here.
The best hiking is no trail, no people, no map! just you and nature. Then you learn what the real rules are.

emerald
04-11-2007, 19:41
Some people need a rule for everything i guess. What do you folks do when you pass someone on the trail?

Is there a rule on whether you should pass on the left or right?

I believe passing rules vary from state to state and club to club. I try to avoid passing on club hikes, but out-of-state usually won't hesitate when passing slow-pokes going uphill I don't expect to see again later in the day.;)

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 19:52
OK. Let me see if I understand here. Hike from GA to ME (or ME to GA) on the AT corridor and you are a "thru-hiker" if you do it more or less as one trip and you are a "2000-miler" if you do it in one year or over multiple years. Utilizing the occasional blue blazes is OK as long as they inflict more pain or for safety over the white blazes. So basically, HYOH except NO SNIVELING.

Hmm, if you make it the whole way, but snivel once or twice, then what are you? A "snivel-hiker"? I am only asking from a purely academic perspective. :rolleyes:

Big Dawg
04-11-2007, 19:53

I've seen you slackin all over the trail,,,,, in Damascus,,,,, ya weenie:D

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 19:57
What do you folks do when you pass someone on the trail? Is there a rule on whether you should pass on the left or right?

On the AT I try to follow the American rules of the road, but almost caused a major pile-up on the trail in VT when I came across two guys from the UK.

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 19:58
OK. Let me see if I understand here. Hike from GA to ME (or ME to GA) on the AT corridor and you are a "thru-hiker" if you do it more or less as one trip and you are a "2000-miler" if you do it in one year or over multiple years. Utilizing the occasional blue blazes is OK as long as they inflict more pain or for safety over the white blazes. So basically, HYOH except NO SNIVELING.

Hmm, if you make it the whole way, but snivel once or twice, then what are you? A "snivel-hiker"? I am only asking from a purely academic perspective. :rolleyes:
From my system you would not qualify for my patch. You could still be an A-type-pureWhitetm

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 20:03
From my system you would not qualify for my patch. You could still be an A-type-pureWhitetm

Well, if I am not interested in the ATC's patch, why would I be interested in yours? No offense meant, I am just not into hiking for a patch.

p.s. What the heck is a A-type-pureWhite?

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 20:08
It is another one I am coming up with. I figure why not. The No-Sniveling Patch is pretty easy. The A-Type-PureWhitetm Patch will be very hard to get. I figure the purists will all line up for another thru-hike just to qualify!

Conditions will follow. I am ready to take reccomendations

emerald
04-11-2007, 20:14
Message responding to earlier post, not related to newest post.

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 20:16
Someone sniveling once would be a one-sniveler, twice a two-sniveler, but snivel-purists don't recognize hikes that involve sniveling. Others may or may not recognize a snivel-hike and would probably prefer that you don't snivel, but will likely get over it.

:-? I really ought to find something else to do tonight.
We will get over it. Failure to get over it constitutes sniveling.

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 20:26
We will get over it. Failure to get over it constitutes sniveling.

What if no one is around when you snivel? Does the lack of a witness other than your good conscious count for sniveling? If you get over a snivel before someone witnesses it, are you cleared of any wrong-doing?

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 20:27
What if no one is around when you snivel? Does the lack of a witness other than your good conscious count for sniveling? If you get over a snivel before someone witnesses it, are you cleared of any wrong-doing?
One should make an honest effort not to snivel. We are trusting people's honesty.

Bunch of liars.:mad:

emerald
04-11-2007, 20:30
Is off-board, solo cyber-sniveling ever witnessed? I guess pleading the 5th isn't permitted?

2 dumb questions!:datz

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 20:32
Cyber sniviling. Hmmmm....

I reckon if it is done when you are not actually on your hike it could be ignored. That is one that I must take into consideration. I ought to go ask my friend JimB.

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 20:48
Now I am lost. What actually constitutes sniveling? I mean is it sniveling to make an observation that could be taken as a negative comment? For example, if you get to the top of a long climb and you proclaim, ":mad: oh heck, its just another damn PUD", is that sniveling? Sounds like a snivel, right? Replay the scene, but instead say, ":) Cool. Another PUD. We are having fun now!" That sounds like it avoids the snivel, right? But what about: ":rolleyes: Wow. The view on top of this PUD is almost as good as the last one." Does sarcasm constitute a snivel? Or perhaps these last two examples are just disguised snivels and it is best not to say anything or even use the word PUD?

rickb
04-11-2007, 20:56
This sniveling about sniveling is getting me down. If people want to snivel, let them. Don't snivel about it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2007, 21:47
::: Mama Dino helps SgtRock patrol the no-snivel zone by yelling :::
If y'all don't quit snivelling, I'm going to give you something to snivel about.

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 21:54
Now I am lost. What actually constitutes sniveling? I mean is it sniveling to make an observation that could be taken as a negative comment? For example, if you get to the top of a long climb and you proclaim, ":mad: oh heck, its just another damn PUD", is that sniveling? Sounds like a snivel, right? Replay the scene, but instead say, ":) Cool. Another PUD. We are having fun now!" That sounds like it avoids the snivel, right? But what about: ":rolleyes: Wow. The view on top of this PUD is almost as good as the last one." Does sarcasm constitute a snivel? Or perhaps these last two examples are just disguised snivels and it is best not to say anything or even use the word PUD?
Sarcasm is encouraged. False enthusiasm is too.

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 22:12
Now that I know and understand the "no sniveling" rule, do I have to re-hike the parts of the trail where I may have violated said rule or can I get a one time redemption pass? :-?

SGT Rock
04-12-2007, 06:31
No sniveling.

Dances with Mice
04-12-2007, 07:45
What if someone hiked the trail without sniveling but didn't like the color, shape, size, construction and weight of the patch? Do they have to return the patch if they snivel about it?

And I don't like the absolute "No Sniveling" rule. We should be able to snivel for the first week. Everyone snivels the first week. It's just not fair.

mudhead
04-12-2007, 09:28
What if the upper lip quivers, and about two foot of snot hangs down. Under ten = rest break, over ten = ?

snivel squared?

mega-snivel?

snivel on steroids?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2007, 09:51
Can I buy 'snivel credits' to offset my snivel footprint or would that be cheating?

saimyoji
04-12-2007, 10:44
Can I buy 'snivel credits' to offset my snivel footprint or would that be cheating?

Preparing for sniveling in advance is twice as bad as the unintended snivel. You must sew patches for this years no-snivelers. :eek:

Heater
04-12-2007, 11:27
What if someone hiked the trail without sniveling but didn't like the color, shape, size, construction and weight of the patch? Do they have to return the patch if they snivel about it?

And I don't like the absolute "No Sniveling" rule. We should be able to snivel for the first week. Everyone snivels the first week. It's just not fair.

Ahhhh... Sniveling about "No sniveling" hmmm...

That is kind of admirable in a twisted sort of way... like a comedian going over the top or a talk show host crossing the line.

I think there may be some sort of penalty box for that "infraction." :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2007, 12:27
Preparing for sniveling in advance is twice as bad as the unintended snivel. You must sew patches for this years no-snivelers. :eek:http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Dinocorner.jpg ::: threads many needles in preparation :::