PDA

View Full Version : Ice Axe

The Solemates
04-10-2007, 14:33
I am looking for a new ice axe for trips to highpoints out west. I only will need to use it on 1-2 trips a year, so I am not looking for anything too expensive, but I do want a quality one that is relatively lightweight. I am 6'4" 215 lbs. Anyone with suggestions?

BlackCloud
04-10-2007, 14:50
I don't know; they seem to be all the same. Your height dictates the length, but your weight is basically irrelevant. I have a Charlet Moser Chardonnet. I picked it b/c it is light and has a textured grip that I think is less cold than some other metals.

Since I bought that one in 2000 however, they've gotten MUCH lighter for the same price ($75 - 100). Price seems to be related to name brand. REI sells its own for $75 & an identical Black Diamond ax for $90 I think.

Identical I tell you!

max patch
04-10-2007, 15:05
I've never used an ice ax so beware....

I learned about this one from one of the trailcast podcasts. Made by Brian Frankle of ULA. Its sold as a "potty trowel" since he doesn't want to spend the big bucks needed to get it certified as an ice ax.

After hearing the podcast I'd be interested in the comments of anyone who has actually used this thing.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm

icemanat95
04-10-2007, 15:26
Petzl,

Makes an interesting one. It has a telescoping pole inside it, replacing the heel spike with a trekking pole end. An almost ideal combination of tools for general alpine travel, but not technical mountaineering. The adze and pick head is a forged aluminum unit with many cut-outs to reduce weight quite a bit. I spotted it at a local shop this past week and gave it a good look over. It isn't cheap, but it's a damned nice tool.

It does run about 125.00 though. If that's too much for you, I may be willing to sell my current general use axe. I'm 6"2" the axe is a 75 cm and has worked well for me in the Whites. Steel head and spike, aluminum shaft. It's a Black Diamond and never failed me. On the other hand, once I saw that Petzl unit, I knew it was precisely what I needed, at my age, and in the conditions I expect to hike in the future.

icemanat95
04-10-2007, 15:32
I would edit my above reply, but since that's not possible here, I'll append to it.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportProduits?Produit=433

is the Petzl axe I was talking about, the Snowscopic.

I was wrong about the head BTW, it is steel, but the cut outs in it make it nice and light.

My old axe is a Black Diamond Alpamayo

Footslogger
04-10-2007, 15:43
Soulmates ...not exactly suitable for ice climbing, but here's another option for emergency self-arrest AND it's dual purpose.

http://www.bentgear.com/product_info.php?products_id=1313&engine=adwords!3869&keyword=%28Black+Diamond+Whippet%29&match_type=

I bought one for my upcoming PCT thru.

'Slogger

Frosty
04-10-2007, 17:05
I am looking for a new ice axe for trips to highpoints out west. I only will need to use it on 1-2 trips a year, so I am not looking for anything too expensive, but I do want a quality one that is relatively lightweight. I am 6'4" 215 lbs. Anyone with suggestions?I got mine from Campmor. The important thing for you is to get one long enough because you are so tall. And as you know, all equipment designers are six feet tall or shorter, and have shoe sizes smaller than 14.

Assuming you will not be swinging it over head climbing ice cliffs, you will likely need to go with 90 cm. It will look too long, but the general sizing of a mountaineering ax vice a climbing ax (others can correct me here) is that if you hold the mountaineering ax head loosely in your hand, the point of the shaft should touch the floor. Mine doesn't, but 90 cm (almost 36 inches) is the longest one I could find. (I'm 6'5")

icemanat95
04-11-2007, 10:17
The problem with long piolet axes is that you've got to carry the weight, even when you don't need the axe. The beauty of the Snowscopic is that it shortens up enough to comfortably attach to your pack out of the way. When hiking up steep terrain, the shaft can be telescoped in. Going downslope, extend it.

fiddlehead
04-11-2007, 10:54
I searched for and found about the lightest ice axe i've ever seen.
It has an aluminum head, which we broke one time when our Sherpas in Nepal were digging rocks with it, i had it rewelded. I think it is made by a company called Grivel or Givel or Griven or something like that. It is really lightweight.
Once when i was in Nepal, i didn't bring mine because space was limited and i just rented one, well the one i had was only about a foot long and i used it to climb my highest peak ever: a 20,000 footer named Dhampus Peak. I guess a longer one would be better but if weight is a big concern, I'd go with a light one and if that means the length isn't right, well, that wouldn't bother me too much.
I have learned to self-arrest with a collapsed hiking stick/pole. I got pretty good at that and had 2 self arrests that would've cost some sure physical problems had I not stopped. I'm confident with the collapsed pole idea but you must take the basket off. (And PRACTICE!)

Frosty
04-11-2007, 12:49
(And PRACTICE!)This is key. No point in carrying one if you haven't practiced self-arrests. AMC gives one-day course every year, or you can just head up to Tuckermans and practice self-arrest while sliding down hilll all four ways (feet first belly up, feet first belly down, legs first belly up, legs first belly down.)

It is pretty easy if you think about it, how to plant the ax so that you end up feet first belly down, but when you are sliding down a slope is NOT the time to try to figure out how to plant the ax. It should be instinctive.

fiddlehead
04-11-2007, 18:24
PRACTICE!
And in all kinds of conditions. I remember when i first hiked the PCT in '96, we went up to Vermont and slid down Stratton mt. ski area all day practicing our technique. Then when i got on the trail and into some snow, i was showing off and describing the technique and i jumped down a steep bank to find that my technique that worked in VT, was not stopping me in the corn snow that i was in. I had to dig in my toes and hands to stop in that stuff. I later found out that there are so many different kinds of snow and they all feel different in a fall.
Practice on the trail when you do see snow in a safe spot. (one that does not end in a rock field, 50 metres downhill)
The better you get at it, the better chance you have of saving yourself when the real fall comes.

Skidsteer
04-11-2007, 18:32
I've never used an ice ax so beware....

I learned about this one from one of the trailcast podcasts. Made by Brian Frankle of ULA. Its sold as a "potty trowel" since he doesn't want to spend the big bucks needed to get it certified as an ice ax.

After hearing the podcast I'd be interested in the comments of anyone who has actually used this thing.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm

That product description from the link is a hoot!

The Solemates
04-12-2007, 11:19
thanks for the responses. i really like the telescopic one. but i would also like to see more...keep em coming!

The Solemates
04-23-2007, 12:59
no more comments? i'd like to hear what others think before i purchase...