PDA

View Full Version : My legs hurt!

Trailers
04-10-2007, 17:57
I went for my first hike in a while the other day....8 hours hike up and down Snowdon (tallest mountain in England and Wales) in the blazing sunshine without a pack, t'was easy....but MY GOD, i ached the next 2 days! i need to get my act together! i can see why a lot of people would drop out after a week on the AT. being totally unprepared like i was for a very easy climb in favourable conditions and only one day was challengably enjoyable, but 3 days of that in a row and id be in trouble! 3 months until my 1000 mile trek through spain and i have a lot of work to do!

Bloodroot
04-10-2007, 18:03
I wouldn't fret over it. Let the trail whip you in shape as you go along.

Marta
04-10-2007, 18:47
Moderation, moderation, moderation.

SGT Rock
04-10-2007, 18:52
Quit now and save the air fare it takes to get there.

Just kidding. Glad you are doing something to prepare for the hike.

Jester2000
04-10-2007, 18:55
Good Lord. Why would you do something like that? Was there cheese at the top or something?

The nice thing about being on a 6 month long hike is that you could always decide to NOT hike for a day if you were sore. Turns out that unlike at last call, you don't have to go home and you CAN stay here.

Toolshed
04-10-2007, 19:42
Head North Young Cragrat. Get yourself into the lake district and off you go up and up. Fellwalking is what you need.

EWS
04-11-2007, 03:51
Why'd you walk you, isn't the train running this time of year? ;)

Trailers
04-11-2007, 05:29
train is running, yup. its rather a strange sight. at 3500 feet, huge women with walking canes, a person in a wheelchair, a throat cancer victim with a hole the size of a plum in his neck. all people i saw up there!

theyve finally knocked down that monsterous cafe at the top.

havent been to the lake district in ageeeessss. Used to go every october with my family when i was in my teens. in the past 5 years at uni and slacking off afterwards ive barely done any hiking. a lake district trip could be in order sometime soon.

The General
04-11-2007, 05:53
Toolshed, has the right idea. Get thee sen up North Lad and stop pussy footing about in Wales. Train up North where we have bred hard men of the hills for generations. Hike in The Lakes or The Dales, dont try to do to much at one time, and yal be reet.

Never drink a beer you can see through,

Jaybird
04-11-2007, 06:20
I went for my first hike in a while the other day....8 hours hike up and down Snowdon (tallest mountain in England and Wales) in the blazing sunshine without a pack, t'was easy....but MY GOD, i ached the next 2 days!.........................etc,etc,etc, i have a lot of work to do!

Hell, anyone would be ACHING if you took an 8 hour hike first hike of the season!... your body adapts!:D

EWS
04-11-2007, 07:12
I always hated that train. The first time I went there, we climbed up the westside(?) in January, it was f-ing cold, and were greeted by a guy talking on his cell phone, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and a pint in his other hand. It almost go ugly when he said "*** are you stupid Yanks doing? There's a train you know.":rolleyes: I always had a good time there though.

I would give Boot my vote though. Surrounded by hills and more pubs than houses, my kind of place.:D It's funny what kind of chit you can into in a pub, when the staff out number you four to two. The owner of the old sheep shearing place always charged us 10 quid to let us crash in the bunk house and served us a proper breakfast; plus he ignored his corrupt bar staff giving all the drink we wanted, after we paid for the first pint. One night he offered the property to us for 20 pounds, provided we disabled the constables truck. There were some x-rated incidents that happened all over that pub, disinfect, disinfect. I miss that place:(

superman
04-11-2007, 08:44
How out of condition can a 23 year old be? I came back from two tours in Vietnam, in the Army, when I was 20. I went to university and then re-enlisted into the Marine Corps when I was 25. Boot camp after four years of drunkenness and sloth has to be experienced to be appreciated. Suck it up, stop sniveling and no whining. Ignorance and brute force can over come anything. What I lack in brute force I make up for in ignorance.

Toolshed
04-11-2007, 10:00
How out of condition can a 23 year old be? I came back from two tours in Vietnam, in the Army, when I was 20. I went to university and then re-enlisted into the Marine Corps when I was 25. Boot camp after four years of drunkenness and sloth has to be experienced to be appreciated. Suck it up, stop sniveling and no whining. Ignorance and brute force can over come anything. What I lack in brute force I make up for in ignorance.

My uncle had a Marquee business in the Lake District and I remember as a 19-20 year old, going out with him on jobs and running up and down smaller fells iin jeans and adidas, close to his work sites. (though Scafell pike does comes to mind - Home of the highest mountain, deepest lake, smallest church and biggest liar.) That was a long time time ago.....

superman
04-11-2007, 11:45
LOL:welcome

RadioFreq
04-11-2007, 11:53
...but MY GOD, i ached the next 2 days!

Don't forget the vitamin I.

HapKiDo
04-12-2007, 07:12
:sun The latest issue of Backpacker Magazine has an article on how to strengthen legs. VERY good exercises.

Check here: http://find.backpacker.com/vignette/bp/searchresult.jsp

And Moderation IS the Key.

See you on the Trail in 2008.

HapKiDo
AKA Coosa:D

jlb2012
04-12-2007, 07:57
:sun The latest issue of Backpacker Magazine has an article on how to strengthen legs. VERY good exercises.

Check here: http://find.backpacker.com/vignette/bp/searchresult.jsp

And Moderation IS the Key.

See you on the Trail in 2008.

HapKiDo
AKA Coosa:D

was this the link you meant to post : http://www.backpacker.com/technique/article/1,1026,5425,00.html ?

white rabbit
04-12-2007, 12:31
Best way to get in shape for hiking is to hike. Keep walking that hill a couple of times a week. Then, after a couple of weeks, add a backpack. You will not get sore after about a month of hiking.

flyingduckmonster
04-12-2007, 15:42
Good Lord. Why would you do something like that? Was there cheese at the top or something?

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :D

HapKiDo
04-14-2007, 20:30
was this the link you meant to post : http://www.backpacker.com/technique/article/1,1026,5425,00.html ?

Apparently so. Thanks for the heads up.

HapKiDo
KeeeYop!:confused:

Trailers
04-16-2007, 05:40

ohhhhhhh get you sailor. i say

Nightwalker
04-16-2007, 14:36

http://www.backpacker.com/article/1,2646,5425_P,00.html

All one page, no sidebars