PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Oneshot Tent

austinlowes17
04-10-2007, 21:38
I currently own the North Face Talus 23, it's a good tent and all but I'm looking for something lighter for my thru hike next spring. (It's almost 6 pounds)

I've been checking out tents and i'm really impressed with Black Diamonds Oneshot Tent. It's a little pricey (about $285) but it only weighs two pounds 5 ounces.

Have any of you guys had any experience with the Oneshot or any other blackdiamond tent? Or do you have another lightweight tent to recommend?

--THANKS

austinlowes17
04-10-2007, 21:39
Here's the link.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/oneshot.php

What do you guys think???

Gray Blazer
04-10-2007, 21:45
I want one!

Phreak
04-10-2007, 22:08
I've been using the BD Lighthouse over the past couple of years and it's by far my favorite tent. Spent many days in heavy downpours without a single leak.

generoll
04-10-2007, 22:11
Slightly heavier but considerably roomier is this one. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/mega_light.php

Since it has no floor you'll need to bring along a piece of tyvek or something similar, but you can leave the tent pole behind if you like and use your trekking poles if you wish. The only downside to this tent is that it doesn't breathe. That seems to be pretty much the case with nearly all single wall or syl/nylon tents. I got one for my section hike this year and am sold on it. To each his own.

Earl Grey
04-10-2007, 22:13
I was going to get this tent but ended up with a Hubba because I got it for $150 cheaper.

generoll
04-10-2007, 22:23
I don't know about this one, but you can't beat the weight. http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/beta_light.php

I assume that it has the same high quality as everything else that I've bought from BD.

Smile
04-10-2007, 22:32
The Oneshot looks OK, but the 'tech vid" was not for that tent, so I really couldn't check out the configuration of the poles, or see if it was easy to set up.

I don't like those Biblers, the way you have to bend and hold both ends of the poles to take it down and put it up....seems like a hassle in pouring rain - anybody have experience with them?

Fannypack
04-10-2007, 23:15
The Oneshot looks OK, but the 'tech vid" was not for that tent, so I really couldn't check out the configuration of the poles, or see if it was easy to set up.

I don't like those Biblers, the way you have to bend and hold both ends of the poles to take it down and put it up....seems like a hassle in pouring rain - anybody have experience with them?
i have the Bibler I-tent & it is easy to setup; never set it up in pouring rain...

my question is: what tent is easy to setup in rain? r u referring to the fact that it is hard to get the tent setup & keep everything dry?

pls explain your concern about setting up in the rain?

Smile
04-10-2007, 23:27
IMHExperience, a tent with poles is usually quicker to set up, and that tents that you have to stake to have them 'stand' are usually more difficult; like the ground may be crumbly and wet making staking more difficult and get you wetter.

I could be wrong, but I also am one to ditch the tent if I arrive at a shelter when it's pouring rain. I did section hike one year, and set the tent up UNDER the shelter and then moved it outdoors, that was easy - and no one else was in the shelter yet, and the tent was dry all around.

I'm just weighing the possibilities right now, since I am going to ebay my Lunar Solo E I used for a few weeks last year for a tent with poles most likely.

rafe
04-10-2007, 23:54
Here's a comparison of the BD OneShot and the TarpTent Rainbow.
Width/height/length in inches; area in square feet, weight in lb'oz.

BD TT
Width 36 46
Length 85 98
Height 36 43
Weight 2'4 2'0
Area 21.3 23+7
Cost $290 $215

Smile
04-11-2007, 00:37
Thanks for the comparison, very cool
I went to the tarptent.com site, but was not sure what the measurements of: 38-46" wide
and 88-96" long meant.
Are these different measurements for set up? Confused, also, does anybody have any experience in this tent in a windy storm?
I like the design, but it looks like it's not too aerodynamic.

rafe
04-11-2007, 00:52
Thanks for the comparison, very cool
I went to the tarptent.com site, but was not sure what the measurements of: 38-46" wide
and 88-96" long meant.
Are these different measurements for set up? Confused, also, does anybody have any experience in this tent in a windy storm?
I like the design, but it looks like it's not too aerodynamic.

I've used the Rainbow in moderate wind, and it's fine. I set it up with the long axis parallel to the wind direction. No problems.

I'm guessing that the two width X length values might be interior/exterior measurements. Ie., the interior bathtub floor is 38x88, and the outer walls measure 46x96 -- ie., extending 4" out from the floor on each edge.

In any case, the Rainbow is the roomiest "solo" tent I've ever owned or used.

Smile
04-11-2007, 01:07
Thanks for the info TT, that will help me with my final choice! Now, to sell that Lunar Solo.... have to get to that asap. :)

EWS
04-11-2007, 01:57
I had a Bibler Bombshelter I used for big climbing trips. It was one of the last handmade in the US of A, so I'm not sure how the quality has changed since they've moved production overseas. You HAD to climb inside it to set it up, after a little practice it was quite easy. Just don't let go of one of the poles though, as it would rip the tent apart or spear a bystander.

EWS
04-11-2007, 02:07
Oh what, I was implying abou the quality is that it was OUTSTANDING, but for $1100 IIRC nothing less was expected. I never had any worry that they tent wouldn't stand up to a storm or snowloading, my ex-wiph could literally sit on top of the tent.

Heater
04-11-2007, 02:22
I've used the Rainbow in moderate wind, and it's fine. I set it up with the long axis parallel to the wind direction. No problems.

I'm guessing that the two width X length values might be interior/exterior measurements. Ie., the interior bathtub floor is 38x88, and the outer walls measure 46x96 -- ie., extending 4" out from the floor on each edge.

In any case, the Rainbow is the roomiest "solo" tent I've ever owned or used.

When you let down the bathtub floor, does it spread out or just fall down?
If it spreads out, that would explain the extra 6" of length and width of floor area.

rafe
04-11-2007, 08:20
When you let down the bathtub floor, does it spread out or just fall down?
If it spreads out, that would explain the extra 6" of length and width of floor area.

I'm not sure what you're asking. My Rainbow has the sewn-in floor. There are elastic bands at each corner of the floor. These bands attach to the four corner stakes (or the pole ends in freestanding mode.) The floor is cut to be somewhat smaller than the exterior dimensions of the tent.

IOW, the Rainbow has some of the attributes of a conventional double-wall tent, but without the inner wall that would normally extend upwards from the bathtub floor.

flyfisher
04-11-2007, 08:23

BD TT
Width 36 46
Length 85 98
Height 36 43
Weight 2'4 2'0
Area 21.3 23+7
Cost $290 $215

Brawny's 10 foot tarptent, now available from AntiGravity Gear, is also worth considering. I just did up the comparison and came up with:

Width 54"
Length Trapazoid with average length of 102"
Height 40 to 44"
Weight listed as 1#4oz (measured 2 oz less)
Floor Area 38 sq ft
Cost $199 (on introductory sale)

I have been using this tent most of the spring and it is very roomy for a single person tent. I spent a 12 hour rainy night in it at the Smoky Mts and was able to sit up, cook some tea and then breakfast, and stay dry. I also was able to watch the woods through the downwind "picture window" instead of being cooped up in a fully enclosed tent.

BradMT
04-11-2007, 08:49
I've been checking out tents and i'm really impressed with Black Diamonds Oneshot Tent. It's a little pricey (about $285) but it only weighs two pounds 5 ounces.

Have any of you guys had any experience with the Oneshot or any other blackdiamond tent? Or do you have another lightweight tent to recommend?

--THANKS

What's the intended use?

All-around backpacking?

Personally, with the BD Firstlight available for 6oz's extra I'd absolutely get the Firstlight. I'd get claustraphobic in the Oneshot! I use the FL as my year round solo shelter and love it. Room enough for me and gear. Have used it above timberline in heavy wind a rain with no leakage. It's not a "perfect" tent (definately go to a longer tent if you're above 6' tall) but it's an amazing amount of shelter for a little weight.

BradMT
04-11-2007, 08:52
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000554a.jpg

Smile
04-11-2007, 09:13
Very nice shot, thanks BMT. ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2007, 09:13
You might also want to look at the Squall II (http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html) - it is a palace for one in the rain
Weight 33 oz (940 g) when using trekking poles
Width 78/51 in (198/130 cm)
Length 94 in (239 cm)
Height 45 in (114 cm) adjustable
Floor Area 30-37 sq ft (2.8-3.4 sq m)
Beak Area 7 sq ft (0.65 sq m)
Stakes (included) 4
Packed size 20 x 4 in (51 x 10 cm)
Price $225

BradMT
04-11-2007, 09:35
Smile, glad you liked it!

Absaroka/Beartooth Wilderness north of Jellystone.

Here's another:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000597.jpg

Heater
04-11-2007, 09:35
I'm not sure what you're asking. My Rainbow has the sewn-in floor. There are elastic bands at each corner of the floor. These bands attach to the four corner stakes (or the pole ends in freestanding mode.) The floor is cut to be somewhat smaller than the exterior dimensions of the tent.

IOW, the Rainbow has some of the attributes of a conventional double-wall tent, but without the inner wall that would normally extend upwards from the bathtub floor.

The site says, "Hybrid bathtub floor walls clip up to interior roof corners when needed in stormy weather. Floor walls unclip for enhanced ventilation and floor area in good weather."

So, When you unclip the walls does the floor lay flat or just bunch up on the sides? IOW how does it "enhance to floor area". :-? :confused:

BradMT
04-11-2007, 09:36
One more... you can just make out the tent in the meadow:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000575.jpg

Skidsteer
04-11-2007, 09:38
One more... you can just make out the tent in the meadow:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/IM000575.jpg

WooHoo!

Nice view!

generoll
04-11-2007, 09:40
A question about the tarptents from AGG. Am I correct in assuming that there is no 'front door'? It appears that there is a mesh closure, but no actual door to the tent. When you cook, I assume that you are cooking in the covered area outside? By that I guess I mean that the floor is attached so that you can't cook inside the tent.

Chache
04-11-2007, 16:15

BD TT
Width 36 46
Length 85 98
Height 36 43
Weight 2'4 2'0
Area 21.3 23+7
Cost $290 $215
You Left out that one shot is Free standing and tarptent not.

Smile
04-11-2007, 16:26
Ya.

Brad MT - very cool, thanks for posting, I like the one from far away too, nice climb! How is it in driving rain?
Ease of set up ( I just got the pDF sent to me from BD since the vid on the site was incorrect)

Where did you store your pack, inside?
Thanks so much.

I do really dig the Tarptent, but it's that freestanding issue I think I just want to go with. I've camped in the TT, nice tents!

rafe
04-11-2007, 17:51
I do really dig the Tarptent, but it's that freestanding issue I think I just want to go with. I've camped in the TT, nice tents!

The Rainbow is free-standing... sort of.

Skidsteer
04-11-2007, 18:52
A question about the tarptents from AGG. Am I correct in assuming that there is no 'front door'? It appears that there is a mesh closure, but no actual door to the tent. When you cook, I assume that you are cooking in the covered area outside? By that I guess I mean that the floor is attached so that you can't cook inside the tent.

Yeah pretty much.

I just got a used, floorless model. AGG has both.

wing it
04-11-2007, 21:11
I've been carrying a Firstlight for going on 2900 miles now, and am debating taking it on the PCT this year. Aside from sticker shock, it's been a great tent. It's supposively a 2 person, while the one you're looking at looks like it has less room, but the Firstlight is more than enough room for myself and my gear. Plus, you can sit up in it, so that helps on rainy days and cold mornings. I've had some issues with heavy condensation along the internal poles, but a bandana works wonders for that. Plus it's easy to set up, and has a small footprint. Without going on too much, I'd say it has drawbacks that double wall tents don't have, but it's got enough advantages that I'm not going to replace my tent for anything else out there right now.

And if you're going for lightweight, there are (as I think is mentioned already), tarptents. People seem to like their Henry Shires design, and apparantly the new ones have a bathtub floor, if you'd like. Plus, they have a vestibule, so you can cook if it's raining (and you're not at a shelter). But you've also got to stake it out, and the footprint is huge, comparatively.

There's a lot of stuff out there if you're just looking for a general, lightweight, enclosed shelter. But I will say that I think I'm getting my money's worth out of my tent, if you're dead set on that black diamond one.

Big Dawg
04-12-2007, 10:12
I've been carrying a Firstlight for going on 2900 miles now, and am debating taking it on the PCT this year. Aside from sticker shock, it's been a great tent. It's supposively a 2 person, while the one you're looking at looks like it has less room, but the Firstlight is more than enough room for myself and my gear. Plus, you can sit up in it, so that helps on rainy days and cold mornings. I've had some issues with heavy condensation along the internal poles, but a bandana works wonders for that. Plus it's easy to set up, and has a small footprint. Without going on too much, I'd say it has drawbacks that double wall tents don't have, but it's got enough advantages that I'm not going to replace my tent for anything else out there right now.

And if you're going for lightweight, there are (as I think is mentioned already), tarptents. People seem to like their Henry Shires design, and apparantly the new ones have a bathtub floor, if you'd like. Plus, they have a vestibule, so you can cook if it's raining (and you're not at a shelter). But you've also got to stake it out, and the footprint is huge, comparatively.

There's a lot of stuff out there if you're just looking for a general, lightweight, enclosed shelter. But I will say that I think I'm getting my money's worth out of my tent, if you're dead set on that black diamond one.

The BD site says the EPIC tent body fabric is water resistent. Huh?? How does the tent hold up in heavy downpours?

Smile
04-12-2007, 10:38
That's the one issue I was wondering about too.....! :)

wing it
04-12-2007, 12:38
The BD site says the EPIC tent body fabric is water resistent. Huh?? How does the tent hold up in heavy downpours?

I wouldn't set it up under a gutter pipe, but I think they claim it's water RESISTANT because they want to claim the fabric is breathable. It's not, but they tried. It's similar to saying that goretex is breathable - in the right conditions, I'm sure it is. But if you keep the door open a crack (there's a little overhang), and the back window, you get about as much condensation as a tarp does.

wing it
04-12-2007, 12:40
But no, I haven't had the rain come in yet (except one bad night on the FT, but that was because I hadn't seam sealed again before I left, so nothing to do with the fabric).

BradMT
04-12-2007, 17:01
I've used mine above timberline twice in heavy downpous and 50+ mph wind with no water coming through. I've had standing water on my Tyvek ground cloth (gotta cut that thing a few inches shorter one of these days) and never had ANY water come through the floor. I did carefully seal all seams.

I like the Firstlight... great Alpine solo shelter. For an AT thru-hike I'd get a Tarptent from Henry.

firemountain
04-12-2007, 23:05
That Oneshot looks like one hot tent! I want one. I have the BD Betalight and Lightsabre. The lightsabre is a bivy sack with a tent head. The bivy (same material as tent) has excellant breathability. I used the Betalight on my thruhike and it worked great for me as there were no bugs.