PDA

View Full Version : Fleece advice

EWS
04-11-2007, 02:17
I ordered an Ibex Icefall to replace my worn-out Mountain Hardwear Windstopper that was also sort of ill fitting. The Ibex is beautiful constructed jacket, but I suppose it is more of a softshell than a fleece as the wool lining is very thin and I want something with a bit more insulation. The fit on the Ibex is great too. What fleeces fit come close to fitting form tallskinnywhiteguys, 6'4" 195lbs 42" chest 32" waist, while being long enough?

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 05:16
I don't like fleece for insulation. I would reccomend looking at lofted insulations like the patagonia puffball jacket or the kennebeck pullover. They are lighter and compress better than the same warmth level of fleece. If you wanna go cheap I have found surplus parka liners and field pants liners are warmer than much more expensive fleece and can be easily modified if you want a more taylored fit.

The General
04-11-2007, 06:02
Listen to the Rock, leave the fleece at home and get the Patognia, you are right to go for more insulation at 6'4" and 195 your gonna need it or the first frost may kill ya.

Only Joking about the frost but the patogonia will do all you ask of it.

Jaybird
04-11-2007, 06:17
patagonia "PUFF" is nice...but NOT as warm as good old FLEECE!

If you can stand a few extra ounces keep the fleece!

good luck with your hike!:D

see ya'll out there Apr 25th-May 6

SGT Rock
04-11-2007, 06:25
Fleece sucks.

EWS
04-11-2007, 06:56
Hum... I have Feathered Friends Helios that is very toasty and only weighs a pound. It’s great for winter time climbing, riding the lifts while snowboarding, and for sitting on my butt at football games. I actually think it would be too warm for hiking in just unless, it was cold (0-10°F) and the wind is whipping through. As well, I don't think it would be the optimum garment for the woods, one thorn and poof, down everywhere.

Patagonia stuff doesn’t fit me properly; the arms and torso are too short.

All in all, I actually do like fleece compare to quilted materials, when constant use and abuse is involved, as it is more durable, ripping it isn’t a problem. Plus if you sweat in it or get it wet, fleece dries much more quickly, than quilted stuff.

mudhead
04-11-2007, 09:02
What does fit you? Not trying to be smart.

I find that tall sizing varies dramaticly(?) by brand.

I would live to know what fits you as I have sleeve length/armpit binding issues. Or I have a frigging mumu around the waist.

Longjohn bottoms are a whole nother issue.

That said, if I don't take the feedbag off some, it won't be an issue.

Good luck.

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 09:10
All fleece is NOT created equal. That's the first problem. Next time you get a chance (either at home with your fleece or in a store) hold it up to the light. Chances are you'll see a lot of light through the fleece.

Next problem is bulk. Fleece, especially the more dense variety, does not pack down very well.

I've got some great old fleece and wear it around town. But for weight/warmth/bulk it's pretty hard to beat some of the lightweight synthetic/down pullovers and jackets like those from MEC, Patagonia and WM.

I carried an MEC Primaloft pullover on my thru in 2003. About 11 - 12 ounces and packed in its own pocket down to the size of a small sandwich bag. When I didn't need it for warmth it served me well as a comfortable pillow.

'Slogger

mudhead
04-11-2007, 09:15
Would love to have one of those MEC jobs. Wonder how much forearm would be exposed.

EWS
04-11-2007, 10:20
I took my measurements ,though I'm not sure if it was the correct way. With my arms as if I were crucified, from my spine to my wrist is 32”. Back, spine from the big vertebrate 7th(?) to my sacrum is 22.5”.

What does fits me best: La Sportiva; TNF pants except for the leg length; euro-trash poly shirts, the Ibex was a perfect fit; Feathered Friends because they will size it to fit; I've only own one pair of Black Diamond pants they fit great, though another 1" in the inseam would be nice.

What doesn't fit: Mnt. Hardwear pants are way to short in the crotch and most tops are to short; anything made by Patagonia minus one set of long johns that they no longer make; Lowe Allipe stuff is way to short and loose in the waist.

I know there was a company out a few years ago who made fleeces to fit. Anyone recall who they were, or if they're still around?

NICKTHEGREEK
04-11-2007, 11:00
I took my measurements ,though I'm not sure if it was the correct way. With my arms as if I were crucified, from my spine to my wrist is 32”. Back, spine from the big vertebrate 7th(?) to my sacrum is 22.5”.

What does fits me best: La Sportiva; TNF pants except for the leg length; euro-trash poly shirts, the Ibex was a perfect fit; Feathered Friends because they will size it to fit; I've only own one pair of Black Diamond pants they fit great, though another 1" in the inseam would be nice.

What doesn't fit: Mnt. Hardwear pants are way to short in the crotch and most tops are to short; anything made by Patagonia minus one set of long johns that they no longer make; Lowe Allipe stuff is way to short and loose in the waist.

I know there was a company out a few years ago who made fleeces to fit. Anyone recall who they were, or if they're still around?

BEYOND FLEECE does custom work, but a quick check on the web shows they aren't accepting orders till mid May to facilitate expansion.
About the company, I bought a jacket from them and it was pretty nice but not perfect. The fit had everything to do with how well I specified what I wanted, and I didn't do as good a job as I should have. Only real complaint was the side pockets zip up to open...
They did fit, and guarantee fit for anybody from our solar system so if it's fleece you want in an odd size, that's the place to go