PDA

View Full Version : Older hikers

goosespencer
04-11-2007, 07:38
Looking for info on older hikers on the trail.Thanks

superman
04-11-2007, 08:08
What kind of older hiker information are you looking for?

weary
04-11-2007, 08:13
Looking for info on older hikers on the trail.Thanks
No such thing. We all become young once we get on the trail. A bit slower than the crowd, but still young.

The General
04-11-2007, 08:50
Great answer Weary, I was chasing EZ1 for days in the register in 2004 I finaly caught up with him on a rainy day in PA only because he was taking it easy on some slippery rocks.
He was 81 years young on his second Thru hike and his fourth end to end. I think of him often and hope that the good Lord see's fit to bless me with his good grace so I can still be burning up the trail when I am 81. I saw a picture of him here on whiteblaze just as I remember him smiling from under his rain hood with his home made pack and gear. In a word "Awesome"

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 09:00
What's the cutoff age ??

'Slogger

ImkerVS
04-11-2007, 09:00
Everybody's older than somebody. Nobody's older than the mountains. Somebody younger than you is in worse shape. Go for it.

Smile
04-11-2007, 09:06
Gotta agree with Weary. On my first month long section hike with my husband, an older couple in nice clean looking clothes with nice neat little packs came up behind us near a picnic area.

I told my husband to pick up the pace. They whooped us. Flew right by amidst pleasant hello's!

As we dragged ourself to the next shelter, happy to see someone was already there and had a tent set up. Who was already finished cooking Mac and Cheese? The older couple! They SERIOUSLY whooped us. Not only that - they had started out 8 miles South of where we had camped the night before. Now they had ULTIMATELY whooped us.

They were happy for company since they were celebrating passing the 1000 mile marker and shared sandwiches they brought up for their "party". It was the second or third time they had thru-hiked, or attempted a thru-hike.
This was our first experience with older thru hikers, and they were in great shape. 70's I believe. Trailname (collectively) "CNN". What great folks!

I was humbled and inspired. I want to be just like them when I am their age! :)

mudhead
04-11-2007, 09:12
Maybe they mean stuff that needs to be done different.

I don't mend anywhere near as quick anymore. Enters my thought process when ever I see some "I remember when" stunt.

Days of sleeping on the ground are over for me.

Ice is not nice.

Hot food brightens the mood.

It is always nice to get onto asphalt fom dirt.

I need to write more stuff down. I wish I had written down the 80's...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2007, 09:22
The dino nickname was given to us by our grandkids - many of whom now have kids of their own who are carrying on the tradition. We are slower and more careful than we used to be and carry a bit warmer gear than we once did. We don't care about speed or covering lots of miles anymore - the joy is in the journey.

moxie
04-11-2007, 09:52
I hiked the trail when my first social security check came in and one of the things I was pleased to discover was that all thru hikers were hikers, period.
I felt as comfortable with a 17 year old hiker as I did with the few my own age. Another thing that astounded me and I will never forget as long as I live was the equality all thru hikers enjoyed. Everyone was equal, white, black, man, woman, arab or jew. We all shared a goal, Maine and we all worked and hiked together to reach it. There was no "womens work' or "young peoples work" at shelters and campsites. I never felt old on the trail and was never treated any different than any fellow hiker. I see no need to create catogories of hikers like young, old, or by sex, race , religion or nationality. The trail can be a great equalizer and hikers are only as old as they feel. (I feel about 21 when I'm out there, wish I looked 21)

rafe
04-11-2007, 10:38
IEveryone was equal, white, black, man, woman, arab or jew. We all shared a goal, Maine and we all worked and hiked together to reach it.

How many Blacks, Arabs and Jews did you meet on the trail... and how did you distinguish the Arabs and Jews? I know this has been discussed before, but I don't see that many people-of-color on the trail, except occasionally as part of organized groups. I can only guess why.

Smile
04-11-2007, 10:41
Stereotypes are not all wrong (far fetched), unfortunately just "politically incorrect" these days.

Mudhead - you're YOUNG! :)

minnesotasmith
04-11-2007, 11:06
I don't see that many people-of-color on the trail, except occasionally as part of organized groups. I can only guess why.

No guessing needed. Since there is no barrier to their hiking the AT except inclination, they have less inclination than whites do to hike the AT.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2007, 11:19
No guessing needed. Since there is no barrier to their hiking the AT except inclination, they have less inclination than whites do to hike the AT.

pretty much it in a nut shell.

superman
04-11-2007, 11:40
Older hikers tend to listen to their bodies more than the young ones do or is it that the older bodies speak louder?

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 11:42
...or is it that the older bodies speak louder?

====================================

Older hikers can do everything younger hikers can ...it just takes a little longer sometimes.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-11-2007, 11:54
::: Heats up drawn butter and smacks lips :::

weary
04-11-2007, 14:08
What's the cutoff age ??

'Slogger
I hiked in 1993 and celebrated my 64th birthday two weeks into my walk north. I met a guy who was 77 and considerably faster than I was.

Earl Shaffer completed the trail a few weeks shy of his 80th birthday.

I met Paw Paw on the summit of Saddleback a few years ago, 150 miles shy of Katahdin. He was 82.

I don't think the cut off age has been established yet. I doubt if it ever will be.

I returned from a funeral an hour ago. Among the people at the reception was a woman, 70 plus, who is active in leading local land trust hikes. She told me she had competed in a "masters" swim meet last weekend and set a new record in the 1,500 meter free style.

Stay active every day and there is no age limit -- other than those imposed by genes and illness.

Humans can't live forever. But most of us can remain active for many years longer than those who vegetate with inactivity.

Weary

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 14:11
[quote=weary;351187]

I don't think the cut off age has been established yet. I doubt if it ever will be.

==================================

...but how about the "low end" cutoff, in terms of being considered an "Old Hiker" ??

'Slogger

jlb2012
04-11-2007, 14:19
[QUOTE=Footslogger;351189...but how about the "low end" cutoff, in terms of being considered an "Old Hiker" ??

'Slogger[/QUOTE]

how about qualified to join AARP? :p

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 14:21
how about qualified to join AARP? :p

============================

Guess that includes me then ...

'Slogger

leeki pole
04-11-2007, 14:32
============================

Guess that includes me then ...

'Slogger
Just joined to get them discounts...better half did half a hundred in March!
:)

weary
04-11-2007, 14:33
[quote=weary;351187]

...but how about the "low end" cutoff, in terms of being considered an "Old Hiker" ??

'Slogger
Some are old at 25. Some are young at 65. Some 25 year olds are too physically unfit to thru hike. Sadly some 15 year olds also. A lot of 65 year olds are better able to thru hike than most 40 year olds.

Weary

Footslogger
04-11-2007, 14:34
[quote=Footslogger;351189]
Some are old at 25. Some are young at 65. Some 25 year olds are too physically unfit to thru hike. Sadly some 15 year olds also. A lot of 65 year olds are better able to thru hike than most 40 year olds.

Weary

So true !!

Maybe we need to qualify this thread then as being "chronological" or "behavioral" age ??

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
04-11-2007, 14:44

My black friends declined my invitation to go hiking by saying, "I'm not going off into the woods alone with a bunch of white people." Seriously, that's what they said.

superman
04-11-2007, 15:13
Your white friends may have said the same thing.

moxie
04-11-2007, 16:32
How many Blacks, Arabs and Jews did you meet on the trail... and how did you distinguish the Arabs and Jews? I know this has been discussed before, but I don't see that many people-of-color on the trail, except occasionally as part of organized groups. I can only guess why.
I have no idea why you would ask a question like that but I will answer you. There were three black kikers, not hiking together , in our loose trail family and I met several black section hikers in the north. One young man in Maryland who was southbound was completing the trail. At Roan mountain there was a family of Arab hikers and I met several in towns. How do I know they were Arabs? because I grew up in an Arab neighaborhood and while my ability to speak the language is limited I do understand it and recgonize it. I can get by in Arabic in a pinch. I hiked with several Lebanionese hikers but I believe they were Marionite Christians. I did not meet any Palestinian hikers but in 2000 Isreal was very well represented on the trail. I had a funny situation in the Whites. The Godfather, who happened to be black, was hiking with, but a little ahead of The Golden One who was from Isreal and her six month visa had just run out. We hid in the bushes together and when she walked past I yelled US Immigration Service, HALT! Scared the hell out of her until she saw The Godfather. One night in the 100 mile wilderness I had a long talk with a Jewish hiker from Isreal who amazed me because he was very sympathetic to the Palestine Liberation Movement. In New Jersey I met over 100 young Jewish kids from Isreal that got caught by a storm and spent while day hiking and spent the night at Sunrise Mountain Pavalion. I quess I would answer, Blacks, about a dozen, Jews well over 100, Arabs including Lebanonese, 10-12, and it is easy to distinguish between Arabs and Jews because most people told me. Virtually all hikers from Isreal spoke English.

rafe
04-11-2007, 17:46
I have no idea why you would ask a question like that but I will answer you.

Appreciate the answer. Mostly I was just curious. I don't think much about ethnicity on the trail. I do notice -- over many years of hiking -- that the serious hikers I meet are overwhelmingly Caucasian. Occasionally one sees groups of day hikers of different color and ethnicity. But mostly, Americans or folks from central or northern Europe, and a few Asians.

I'm not sure I'd be able to distinguish between Turks, Greeks, Macedonians, Lebanese, Moroccans or Egyptians from a casual encounter on the trail. I'd recognize Israelis, maybe, because I am one. ;) But mostly, young Israelis are indistinguishable from Americans or Europeans, except by their language and accent. Most are fluent or at least conversant in English. All I know is that I don't meet many such folk on the trail, except as casual visitors.

SawnieRobertson
04-11-2007, 19:58
When I first qualified for AARP, I could do ANYTHING. That was because I'd been running and was otherwise active for years. I think "older hiker" can only be a subjective determination, but, otherwise, how about receiving a social security check?--Kinnickinic

Grampie
04-12-2007, 10:04
[quote=weary;351187]

'Slogger

Slogger, You know I have qualified, so my thoughts. I have met alot of folks younger and a few older while on the AT. Some of the younger ones complain and act like they are old. Most of the older hikers wish that they were younger and act like they were. So, I guess my point is "you are who you are", so make the best out of it.:sun

Footslogger
04-12-2007, 10:15
So, I guess my point is "you are who you are", so make the best out of it.:sun

======================================

ROGER that !!

'Slogger

WILLIAM HAYES
04-12-2007, 22:47
I am in my early 60's and never thought much about age, Been section hiking for the past four years . I usually average about 12-14 miles a day depending on the PUDS I have. Age is not a factor --just do it and listen to your body
Hillbilly

BradMT
04-13-2007, 00:48
In 1976 a friend and I were hiking the CT section of the AT... we had stopped at a lean-to for the night when an older couple pulled up and began setting up their tent next to us. Besides looking like they'd been on the trail more than a few days they obviously knew what they were about and had some pretty large packs. I asked what their story was. Seems they were both 65 years old and had both just retired from teaching... they had come from Springer Mountain!

I often think of those two... obviously very much in love and sharing their passion for the outdoors by thru-hiking the trail together.

They'd 96 years old now... who knows, perhaps they're still padding around planet earth.

mudhead
04-13-2007, 16:25
Wouldn't it be nice to wake up to 19yr old legs? Rice Krispies in the morning!

weary
04-13-2007, 17:09
Right. I'm getting tired of bran flakes with raisins. But ya gotta do whatever moves you.

Footslogger
04-13-2007, 17:16

===============================

One could interpret that a couple different ways ...

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-13-2007, 17:58
Reminds me of what I asked the male dino when I turned 40 - are you going to trade me in for two 20's? He told me he wasn't wired for 220s. :D

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 18:31
I hiked the trail when my first social security check came in and one of the things I was pleased to discover was that all thru hikers were hikers, period.
I felt as comfortable with a 17 year old hiker as I did with the few my own age. . .

True. But to be honest, if I had known that Moxie was "old" I wouldn't have hung out with him as much as I did. Is he really "old?" Hmmm. . .

How many Blacks, Arabs and Jews did you meet on the trail... and how did you distinguish the Arabs and Jews?

So. Black hikers I met would include Godfather, Harriet Tubman, Buffalo Soldier, and a couple of others whose names I can't recall. Met three Israeli hikers at NOC. Quite a few American Jews. Don't recall running into any Arabs.

I suppose the easiest way to distinguish between Jews and Arabs would be to ask them. You'd be surprised what kind of information you can glean about people by talking to them. Works with Jews and Italians, too.

rafe
04-13-2007, 18:59
I suppose the easiest way to distinguish between Jews and Arabs would be to ask them. You'd be surprised what kind of information you can glean about people by talking to them. Works with Jews and Italians, too.

I don't ask people about their ethnicity. If it comes out in the course of conversation, that's fine. If I had to guess the ethnicity of most of the thru-hikers I've met and spoken with over the years, I'd say 95% or more were just plain... whitebread. ;)

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 19:14
You'd be surprised what kind of information you can glean about people by talking to them.

If it comes out in the course of conversation, that's fine.

I correct myself. You apparently do glean information from people by talking to them, so you wouldn't be surprised.

As for asking about ethnicity, I can't say I often do, but I do ask if I'm curious. Never seemed to leave anyone feeling insulted, although it probably has to do with how you ask.

If I didn't ever ask, how would I know that I'm hot for Lebanese women? I wouldn't, and that would be a tragedy. Not just for me, but more importantly, for them.

mudhead
04-13-2007, 19:19
Bran Buds will cure what ails ya.

So will miller bran with anything, at a fraction of the cost.

I imagine waking up with 19 yr old legs would be costly, now that I picture it.

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 19:55
Older hikers. . .

Earl recommended a glass of apple vinegar every day. Good luck with that. 'cause there's no way I'm doing it.

Cookerhiker
04-13-2007, 20:49
I have 2 "older hiker" stories from the same hike. When I section-hiked all of Maine mid-Aug to mid-Sept. 2005, I met a 69-year old guy in the Baldpates who gave himself the trail name of Oly short for "Old Lee." He didn't mind at all being one of the oldest on the Trail. Like me, he was on his last section hike to finish the Trail. I stopped the next day in Andover and he went on. By his own admission, he never hiked more than 10-11 miles per day but he never took long breaks for resupplying. Although I only lost half a day on him in Andover, I didn't catch him again until Chairback LT in the 100 mile wilderness. Oly's hip bothered him when he first started hiking so he never took long breaks because of the pain from restarting. Anyway, he summited Katahdin September 15 the day after me.

The same hike, I was getting banged up big time in those first 2 weeks with twisted ankles, scabbed knees, wrenched shoulders and more. When I fell several times on the wet rocks off of Bemis, I was ready to quit because I really thought I'd injure myself and I was behind my overly ambitious schedule. After some unexpected Trail Magic at Rt. 17, I shared the Sabbath Day Pond shelter with two older women well into their 70s. We had delightful conversation and later when I revealed I might drop out at Rangeley, the quieter one said to me "Well, we made it up Saddleback so you should be able to too." I wouldn't quite say I was shamed into continuing but that certainly motivated me! The rest of the hike went well even though the worst injury was yet to come - straining a ribcage muscle on the ascent up Pleasant Pond Mountain.

gsingjane
04-14-2007, 07:18
I heard something cute about AARP and thought I'd share... it's been suggested that the government put them on the trail of Osama bin Laden, since he's almost certainly over the age of 53, and they seem to be able to track down everybody else who's over 53!!! Much to my husband's chagrin!

Seriously, though, I find that, now pushing 50 with a short stick, I'm actually in better shape than I was in my child-bearing years. From 1989 through 1999, I was either pregnant, nursing, or caring for multiple children in diapers with virtually no time for fitness. Now that the "baby days" are over, I have so much more time to exercise and eat right. I didn't return to hiking or backpacking until a few years ago, and this is largely because I didn't even have a minute to breathe back then, much less figure out how to cart around little people.

Since I've been able to return to a degree of fitness and have had the chance to pursue some of my own interests, I've fulfilled my lifelong dream of running a marathon, and have also taken many overnight hiking trips (and become a wall climbing instructor). I don't know whether this story is typical of many women, but I bet it is. As wonderful and terrific as it was to have my kids, and I wouldn't trade any of it for the world, it really does do a number on your body and your life in general. Now that I've given birth to and raised my own hiking partners, though, the sky's the limit!

Jane in CT

Quoddy
04-14-2007, 09:10
Whenever I'm hiking, it's usually with my Welsh Springer Spaniel Quoddy, whose name I began sharing on the trail four years ago. When hiking with others and I need a break I say, "Quoddy break", making it sound like the pup needs it. Yeah, like a 4 1/2 year old springer needs a break. Other than needing an occasional breather, I don't find too much difference hiking now as years ago.

rafe
04-14-2007, 09:44
I'm not sure I fit into the "older hikers" category or not. My enthusiasm for hiking certainly hasn't waned at all in the 30 years I've been hiking. If anything, I think I'm a bit better at it than I was at the start. What I've lost in physical strength or stamina, I've made up for with efficiency, lighter loads, better technology... and judgement gained from experience.

I rarely walk faster than 2 mph, but on my section hikes I usually walk from dawn to dusk, taking 10-15 minute breaks every 90 minutes or so, and a long break for lunch. On my long section hike in 1990 (Springer to Pearisburg) I was averaging a bit over 11 miles per day (long-term) but on recent section hikes I've been hitting 13-15 mpd, without really trying. Knock wood, I've never had an injury that's forced me off the trail or most of the foot/knee/ankle problems that so many other hikers report.

Find a pace you can walk at, long-term. Adjust stride according to the terrain. If you're tired, take a break. Make sure you're getting enough calories and protein and water as you go. Take a break or quit for the day when you're tired. Common sense stuff.

The key (IMO) is to know and respect your body's limits, and not push beyond them to the point of bodily harm. It's natural to want to push your limits, and that's fine. My own choice is to be cautious and sensible about it and (hopefully) not pushing to the point of pain or injury. It's not a rat race. Keep it fun.

mrc237
04-14-2007, 10:11
Nice post TT I'll remember that as I start my third hike (as a section hike) of the AT on thurs. I always use the slogan that I found on WB "I like to start off slow then I slow down" BTW I'll celebrate my 62nd bd if I make it on trail May 30

Cookerhiker
04-14-2007, 10:32
Nice post TT I'll remember that as I start my third hike (as a section hike) of the AT on thurs. I always use the slogan that I found on WB "I like to start off slow then I slow down" BTW I'll celebrate my 62nd bd if I make it on trail May 30

I believe you can thank Medicine Man for that quote - it's on his WB signature.

goosespencer
04-16-2007, 22:22
Thanks everyone for the info.

Brushy Sage
04-17-2007, 20:43
The future for all younger hikers is that they will become older hikers, provided they don't depart this earth.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-18-2007, 08:19
Nice post TT I'll remember that as I start my third hike (as a section hike) of the AT on thurs. I always use the slogan that I found on WB "I like to start off slow then I slow down" BTW I'll celebrate my 62nd bd if I make it on trail May 30Nice quote from a couple of young whipper-snappers.

Bolo
04-18-2007, 15:05
I'm not going to consider myself "old" until I'm 80 and can get the 1% senior citizens discount at Bi-Lo.

-Bolo

BobbyNoel
04-20-2007, 00:23

When I was a kid I remember watching a ball game on TV with my Dad. My father smiled watching one of the black pitchers and said that when he was growing up there were no "negros" playing baseball, everyone "knew why", they didn't have the ability.

I'm a Jew, I'm on the trail, look for me, you can distinguish me, I'm the one without the white hood.

COLLIER

LIhikers
04-20-2007, 07:37
How many Blacks, Arabs and Jews did you meet on the trail....

Let's see, how many catagories do I fit into?

I'm an AARP member so I must be old.....
My mother's family were Jews from eastern Europe that came to the U.S.
My father's family came to the U.S. from Lebanon

So I guess that makes me an Old, Arab, Jew who loves hiking..... :-?

BradMT
12-27-2010, 00:25
In 1976 a friend and I were hiking the CT section of the AT... we had stopped at a lean-to for the night when an older couple pulled up and began setting up their tent next to us. Besides looking like they'd been on the trail more than a few days they obviously knew what they were about and had some pretty large packs. I asked what their story was. Seems they were both 65 years old and had both just retired from teaching... they had come from Springer Mountain!

I often think of those two... obviously very much in love and sharing their passion for the outdoors by thru-hiking the trail together.

They'd 96 years old now... who knows, perhaps they're still padding around planet earth.

Still wondering about these two...

SouthMark
12-27-2010, 08:15
I am in my early 60's and never thought much about age, Been section hiking for the past four years . I usually average about 12-14 miles a day depending on the PUDS I have. Age is not a factor --just do it and listen to your body
Hillbilly

Hey Hillbilly, met you at the Carl Newhall LT this past August.

I'm 64 and I have met or heard of many hikers older than me that I wished that I were as young as.

mweinstone
12-27-2010, 08:45
im fifty. a jew. a jesus lover. a hippie. hikertrash. an idiot. a friend of ms. currently a welfare baby. live in the getto. have a 10th grade education. a friend of the dude. belive i have a working unified field theory. hold the record for high altitude snot rocketry. and have several times of late, driven my bicycle deep into the badlands of north philly searching for the kensington strangler, our current serial killer with a 37,000.00$ reward on his head,..thinking i was just regular job hunting as usual.i belive this qualifys me as a normal, conservative right wing american. cause thats what i am.

now,...who says old folks are what now?

Sailor (The other one)
12-27-2010, 08:57
Footslogger: "What's the cutoff age?"

Death.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 09:59
I'm 64. Last night/today we had the worst blizzard here in NJ that I can remember. About 12 - 24 inches, with gusts to 40 mph. Can't tell how much snow for sure with the 6 foot drifts next to the bare ground.

I shovelled from 5 AM til just now (8:30 AM) to clear the driveway. Everyone is still asleep. They will awaken soon and drive off to work/school, if not closed, never knowing the great workout I had! Just like starting a good hike for me, except today I can come inside and get a nice hot cup of coffee and relax on the sofa... life is good.

weary
12-27-2010, 12:39
I like it when these four year old threads reappear. Notice how much sharper my replies were when I was only 77?

valiweva
12-27-2010, 16:26
I am only 58(you guys made me feel young! Haven't purchased too many things yet,but I am sich enough of work and love hiking.can't wait to go!

Carbo
12-27-2010, 19:24
I like it when these four year old threads reappear. Notice how much sharper my replies were when I was only 77?

Well, maybe quick on the draw then. Better aim now :D.

Cookerhiker
12-27-2010, 22:17
Yeah, when I responded before I was still in my 50s so I felt I could comment on old hikers. Now I'm one of them.:D