PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bags

VenomX
04-11-2007, 13:16
I sleep pretty warm as it is so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on sleeping bags. I was going to pick up a Big Agnes Encampment which is rated to 15 degrees but I got to wondering if I'd end up to warm in that during the summer months so I decided to look at some of the other bags which are rated at 30-45 degrees. Now the twist to this is that I'm alergic to down so I wanted to stick with synth. I'm also really broad at the shoulders which is why I was looking at the Encampment to begin with so I could move around a bit. I treid it out at REI and it was a good fit, I just dont want to be roasting in the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chache
04-11-2007, 14:25
Have you tried a super strechhttps://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1102&hinban=1121729

fiddlehead
04-11-2007, 18:17
I think 30-45 is not enough bag. IMO of course
I don't sleep warm though. But chances are you will hit snow.
One alternative could be to get the smaller bag you are thinking of and a microfleece sleeping bag liner for the colder months. Of course in July and August, the 30-45 bag is enough. but in April in the Smokies, possibly not.
Another thing to keep in mind that fit counts in a sleeping bag if you want it to be efficient. If you want to buy a bag that's too big because you want to be able to move around in it a lot, keep in mind you will probably get used to it and there's not a lot of sense in buying a bag that's too big.
Too warm, maybe. too big, no.

Chache
04-11-2007, 18:35
The idea behind the montbell line of stretch bags is that you get both room and tight fit. They have all range of temps.