PDA

View Full Version : Question: Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1

Newb
04-11-2007, 14:39
Anyone use this tent? I'm about to order one from Backcountry gear and I need to know if it's well reviewed.

I need a new tent FAST.

MikeG
04-11-2007, 18:39
Big Agnes SL1 is the way to go.

TomScanlan
04-11-2007, 21:32
I'm about 5'11", 180 lbs.

I have one, but have only used it once. Weather was snow and freezing temperatures, not much wind. In those conditions I had no issues with it's performance.

Setup was easy enough, though keep in mind there are 9 stakes, 8 to really keep the tent up and one to make the vestibule more spacious.

I had some trouble getting in and out of the tent, as removing boots at the door is my habbit, and sitting up is difficult. So, I'd half crawl in, rotate so I could plant my butt in the tent with feet hanging out, and really tweak my body to reach my laces. Having a left hand side zipper on your sleeping bag will make this event more comfortable when going directly into the sack, as it will eliminate more gyrations trying to get your legs into the sleeping bag.

There is some extra space near your head for storage. I had enough for night time essentials, such as reading material, water ( later moved into sleeping bag), a late night snack, and a couple small sacks for clothes and bathroom supplies.

There was enough room near my feet to slip my pack under my legs (to help cover where my sleeping pad ends off; this is a 65 liter lowe alpine, not a super small pack). Also, my water bottle and boots were able to fit into the foot area of my sleeping bag. With all that stuff at my feet, it was tight, but doable, and I could still turn to my sides as needed.

My only complaints:
I wish it took up a little less space (stuffed, it takes around 6.5" diameter, 12" long). I wish it was a bit less heavy (still around 3.5 lbs). I wish it used a few less stakes.

Newb
04-12-2007, 07:48
I decided on the Big Agnes SeedHouse 1. It's a pound heavier than the SL1, but it's 100 bucks cheaper.