PDA

View Full Version : Current conditions at Icewater Spring Shelter??

tenderfoot smith
04-11-2007, 19:21
Seeking any current info for an upcoming trip in May. planning on going north on AT and would stay in Icewater, Tricorner and Cosby Knob shelters on 3 night trip wed thru Fri.

Familiar with updated styles of shelters; however, concerned with overcrowded situations, groups showing up w/o permits etc... Was wondering if this is still a problem at these locations. Hoping May during mid-week may help . Also, not sure how often these are patroled by park service. Would i have a problem if i pitched a tent because shelters were full with people w/o permit and i had a permit?? Do they do a good job at keeping shelters from being overcrowded??

Thanks for info!

ken209
04-12-2007, 15:55
What are your dates?:)

tenderfoot smith
04-13-2007, 09:34
not sure of dates at this time. Would like to go this route , however trying to see if I can get feedback from someone who has is familiar with this area and get a feel of what to expect for a mid-week hike. Was hoping mid-week would cut down on some of the crowds.

Whistler
04-13-2007, 09:47
I was at Icewater the Tuesday night after Memorial weekend in 05. I guess that was at the very very end of May. We had a full house, but only 2 people had to tent out. That's not too bad for such a popular spot.
-Mark

ken209
04-13-2007, 13:52
Doing that hike starting 4-30, have reservations for icewater may 2. You need to get yours asap, hard to get them for icewater anytime.

tenderfoot smith
04-13-2007, 17:23
yes we need to get our reservations as it sounds as if their is alot of traffic in this area regardless of day of week or time of year.

NINpigNIN
12-25-2008, 13:09
Icewater is popular year-round because it is a scant 3 miles from Newfound Gap. I will be there on night 2 of a 3-night trip on 12/28 and my group of 3 filled up the shelter. During thru-hiker season the park service always leaves 2-4 spots open to account for NOBOs and SOBOs since they're not required to make reservations, but I doubt that this policy is in place in late December.

Joey
12-25-2008, 22:27
Very crowded at all times and you also have to put up with sometimes individuals who have no business being on a trail much less in public, but that is rare. Start early and hump it to Pecks Corner or if you are froggy go on to Tri-Corner. Tri-Corner is probably one of the best shelters in the Smokies but the most remote too!!

NINpigNIN
12-25-2008, 22:50
You get that at other shelters too. Rsle, eightiesguy and I had the misfortune of sharing Cosby shelter with a family that matched that description in the summer of '07.

OldStormcrow
12-29-2008, 11:23
I've always been amused by the hordes of hypothermia-stricken dayhikers in street shoes who show up at Icewater in the winter. It is always full of overnighters....registered and non-registered alike, the privey is quite often overflowing with frozen waste, firewood is very scarce, etc. It's a long way past it to get to Pecks Corner in one day, though, particularly in winter. At least it looks like the Rangers are allowing people to register months in advance now.....used to be that you could only register one month in advance and it was like a radio call-in show to get through on the phone to the Backcountry Reservation office.

sliderule
12-29-2008, 20:00
At least it looks like the Rangers are allowing people to register months in advance now.....used to be that you could only register one month in advance and it was like a radio call-in show to get through on the phone to the Backcountry Reservation office.

It seems that the reservation duties have been turned over to the volunteer staff. Some of them don't seem to know what month it is now!!!