PDA

View Full Version : Topographical maps & cell phone question

campbell
04-11-2007, 22:15
I have never hiked on the A.T. and my plan is to go from Amicalola to Hot Springs or beyond in mid May and was wondering about the following two things.

First, is it worth it to carry a set of trail/topographical maps and if so what would be the best or most common set of maps to carry? I have a Thru-Hikers Handbook, which has a lot of data, but no topographical maps.

Second, is it worth it to carry a cell phone? I would only use the phone in towns to call home and leave it turned off on the trail to preserve the battery.

Thanks

Tin Man
04-11-2007, 22:29
The ATC sells topo maps on their web site in the form of guidebooks by state. www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org). You can simply buy the section you are hiking, read the book before you go and leave at home and just carry the map. The guidebooks are also available at many outfitters.

Cell phones are a touchy subject to some. As long as you keep it turned off and hidden in your pack, no one should complain and you may find it useful at times.

Enjoy your hike!

Uncle Silly
04-16-2007, 17:49
You don't *really* need the topo maps, but they can be handy in emergency situations. Plus, some people (like me!) just love 'em. I feel more connected to the area with the birds'-eye-view of a map than I do with the databook, and I enjoy the challenges of using the map to figure out exactly where I am and what landmarks I can see from my perch on a ridgetop.

rswanson
04-16-2007, 17:57
Cell phones are a touchy subject to some. As long as you keep it turned off and hidden in your pack, no one should complain and you may find it useful at times.
I'm not sure why using a cell at a shelter is touchy subject with hikers on the A/T. Maybe its a reminder of civilization some are trying to forget about while they're on the trail...the jet engine roar of a Pocket Rocket stove isn't very woodsy but that doesn't get much complaint. And, infrequent is the day on the A/T where you don't hear an internal combustion engine at least several times, if not all day long. Bring the cell if you need to make calls.

Jester2000
04-16-2007, 18:12
I'm not sure why using a cell at a shelter is touchy subject with hikers on the A/T.

There are other threads dedicated to arguing about cell phone use on the trail. Campbell is asking if it is worth it. Try to stick to what the thread starter wants to know.

I would say it's worth it if you feel you need it, but you probably won't really need it.

rswanson
04-16-2007, 18:15
There are other threads dedicated to arguing about cell phone use on the trail. Campbell is asking if it is worth it. Try to stick to what the thread starter wants to know.
Guess did you catch my answer to his question, then?

Tin Man
04-16-2007, 22:15
Try to stick to what the thread starter wants to know.

Good idea. Post the same message in all the other threads when they get off track. Oops, change that to every thread. ;)