PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Toggs

chris
09-03-2003, 15:47
My Frogg Toggs anorak is about done, with the back and kidneys almost worn through and a nice hole in one of the arm pits. Since the fit of the anorak is so terrible, I thought I might buy the jacket, which supposedly fits better. Does anyone have weight numbers for the two?

Alternatively, does anyone else have a favorite, sub 10 oz. rain jacket (not a poncho) that they like?

tlbj6142
09-03-2003, 16:29
Check out this thread (http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=geartalk&Number=27668&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) on backpacking.net. Seems a lot of folks like EPIC. While not waterproof. It certainly seems to be (except for seams) and it breathes quite a bit more.

Check out www.wildthingsgear.com (stuff on clearance now), www.featheredfriends.com and www.golite.com for various jacket, pullover, windshirt configurations.

BTW, I use a Rain Shield O2 Jacket (Size XXL 5.9oz) I bought at Wal-Mart for $15. It works well. But it won't last. It gets snagged on everything. I already have a couple of small rips in the sleeves.

Peaks
09-03-2003, 16:43
Marmont PreCip scales out at 10.9 ounces (men's medium).

Cedar Tree
09-03-2003, 16:47
Chris, Check out the Packa. www.thepacka.com
Its between 10 and 11 oz. and that includes packcover too. Plus, you can control your body temperature while hiking so much better with a Packa. Look at the Gear Review forum on this site for a review. CT

gravityman
09-03-2003, 17:03
At 13 oz for pants and jacket, you can't beat it. I find the fit better than frogg toggs, and the jacket has a storm flap with buttons. Lighter than the Frogg Toggs at 16.6 oz.

Blue is the style that i have. I think the yellow are a little less substantial.

Check out http://www.rainshield.com/

Gravity Man

Rain Man
09-04-2003, 12:35
Originally posted by chris
My Frogg Toggs anorak is about done, ... I thought I might buy the jacket, which supposedly fits better. Does anyone have weight numbers for the two?

Check out http://www.froggtoggs.com

Hopefully the weights are there and they will have an 800 number for you to boot.

My family all has 'em and we love 'em.

Rain Man

chris
09-04-2003, 12:45
I couldn't find the weights on the site and am too lazy to call. I'm leaning towards the Rain Shield stuff, mostly for a little variety.

tlbj6142
09-04-2003, 12:57
Rain Shield stuff, mostly for a little variety. I wish I could get my hands on the "blue version". I wonder if it is actually made out a different material than the yellow version?

OK, I'll answer this myself....

I just called RainShield. The "blue version" is a trilaminate. And is "tougher" for "sportsmen", than the "yellow version". The "yellow version" is a bilaminate.

gravityman
09-04-2003, 15:01
You can get the blue version on-line. If you go to the rainshield site, they have a link to some online stores that sells their stuff. The main advantage of the blue that I see (beside the number of layers) is the storm flap that buttons. I had an older version of the yellow, and the storm flap was useless.

Gravity Man

MadAussieInLondon
09-04-2003, 16:11
the packa looks goofy, but, well,, damn! i want one! thats the solution. ive found in the past, rain covers on packs, it just all goes down the back, and soaks into the backpad of the pack..

looks like the packa solves the problem, and has a good length too it!

mmm since i lash my foam mat roll underneath my pack looks like it wont fit..

dang! so close to what I needed!!

Cedar Tree
09-04-2003, 16:37
MadAussie, I custom make Packas to fit any size pack. But first, what size pack do you carry? If your pack is not too big, strapping the pad at the bottom should not be a problem for the factory made Packas. Plus, if you buy one, and it doesn't fit, you may return it for a full refund. Thanks for your interest, Cedar Tree

MadAussieInLondon
09-04-2003, 16:46
i'm only standing at 5'4 and carry (currently) an osprey aether 75. life seems to have ruled me a 'medium' in most things :)

i gotta think this expense over. (pay day isnt for another 3 weeks!) (i didnt see much of a sizing chart on your site, or about shipping internationaly, since i live in London... )

if i have more questions, i'll drop you a direct email!

cheers mate

chris
09-05-2003, 16:54
Does anyone know where (and if) I can buy the Rainshield jacket and pants separately? I want the blue version, but would like to get a large jacket and medium pants. I can do this with the yellow, but I'd prefer blue. It really brings out my eyes, and important part of attracting ladies while out hiking.

jlb2012
09-05-2003, 20:54
yo chris - you forgot the dancing banana on that last post

tlbj6142
09-06-2003, 07:54
Does anyone know where (and if) I can buy the Rainshield jacket and pants separately? I want the blue version, but would like to get a large jacket and medium pants. I can do this with the yellow, but I'd prefer blue. It really brings out my eyes, and important part of attracting ladies while out hiking. Call Rainshield. I asked them the same question. They seemed to think there was some way to do it.