PDA

View Full Version : trail conditions -- Palmerton to High Point, NJ

cutman11
04-12-2007, 00:36
I am planning to do an 80 mile / 5 day section from Palmerton to High Point State Park starting about 10 days from now. Anybody been on that part in the last few days? Night time temps above 32?

Elf
04-12-2007, 02:47
Average low temperatures here (a few miles south of Palmerton) are in the mid 30s. Spring temperatuers are really unpredictable here, though. We often see low tempertures anywhere from 20s and 40s.

Jimmers
04-12-2007, 03:01
Unpredictable is the best way to describe temps there, especially lately. Whenever spring decides to reappear you can expect anything from 30 to 40 at night. Daytime pretty much anything from 40 to 75.

Toolshed
04-12-2007, 07:07
Matthewski was just over by Wind Gap doing some trail work, He was a bit further south (Hamburg) a few weeks earlier doing trail work as well.

After the cold snap of recent, we are having quite a bit of rain over the next 4-5 days, so, I beleive most springs will be running nicely. I was on the AT in Worthington an few weeks ago and saw nothing but nice trail and plenty of water.
As far as temps go, I am also in the lehigh valley and I guess it depends where you are (We are up on a hill) our nighttime temps have been in the low 20's for the past 2 weeks and daytimes in the mid 40's.
I would suspect (or at least hope) that after this Nor'easter passes by, we will have some spring-like weather - Nights in the high 30's - mid 40's and days into the 60's. I have 4 acres of grass seed and fertilizer in the shed just awaiting some warmth.

mrc237
04-12-2007, 07:33
Just did the section from DWG to Unionville a week ago. Temps were mild but one night my water froze. Few blowdowns but trail conditions were fine.

Moon Monster
04-12-2007, 16:02
A potential 100-year April Nor'easter is brewing for Sunday (15th) into Monday (16th). If it indeed comes together, it could still be warmish a couple days later. But, the "100-year" part is as much about possible wind as it is about snow. Hurricane force winds with low pressure the depth of a Cat. 3 hurricane are possible towards the coast. Not sure what that means for the hills, but new blowdowns are possible.

It bears watching.

cutman11
04-14-2007, 03:16
Thanks all for replies, will keep my fingers crossed for spring as I will be taking a 30 deg bag(WM) with silk liner. May need to use the heated water in the nalgene trick at night, I guess.