PDA

View Full Version : Novelist Kurt Vonnegut dies at age 84

Jimmers
04-12-2007, 02:53
Not really related to anything here, but he was a great novelist with a wonderfull sense of humor who will be sorely missed.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/obit_vonnegut

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2007, 06:15
We have lost an excellent novelist. Prayers for his family to be comforted.

SGT Rock
04-12-2007, 06:17
Defiantly someone that didn't follow conventions when it came to writing. Loved his books.

My condolences to his family.

The Old Fhart
04-12-2007, 06:38
Thanks to Kurt Vonnegut, whenever I hear someone says they are "going to take a leak" I hide my mirrors.

We will miss Kilgore Trout, Billy Pilgrim, ice-nine with the pile of cannon balls, and that whole other universe he took us to.

rafe
04-12-2007, 07:11
Owww, that is a real loss. Kurt was quite possibly the greatest living American author (imo.) I'll miss his wit and humor. The American Humanist Association will have to find a new Honorary President. RIP, Kurt. So it goes.

Ender
04-12-2007, 09:01
It's related to hiking for me... I read 3 of his books during my AT thru. Very sad that he's gone... he had a unique mind.

rafe
04-12-2007, 09:08
I think this is from Sirens of Titan:

Rented a tent
Rented a tent
Rented a Rented a tent

Baum Trigger
04-12-2007, 09:21
"My name is Yon Yonson, I come from Wisconsin. I work as a lumberjack there. The people I meet when I walk down the street, they ask me my name and I say..." ...so it goes...

A great man and a wonderful novelist. He will truly be missed...

Freeleo
04-12-2007, 12:15
problably one of the few authors who i have liked enough to read all they have had published..........that i know of

a question to all who adore him.......

who else would you suggest reading??????

remember....."so it goes"

peace
jeff

frieden
04-12-2007, 12:26
Prayers for him and his family. It is good that we have his books, so part of his magic is still here. Great novelist.

superman
04-12-2007, 14:01
"I never liked him anyways."

Freeleo
04-12-2007, 14:45
if you are being serious i would say some things are better left unsaid...untyped....but he problably wouldnt care that you said that

jch

Heater
04-12-2007, 14:55
Oh Wow!

BIG freakin bummer.

This is like losing Lennon (almost).

I am so depressed...

:( :( :( :(

Heater
04-12-2007, 14:59

He never disliked you. Of course, he probably never met you.

jambalaya
04-12-2007, 15:15
I just read "A Man Without a Country" a few days ago and was wishing he'd finish his novel about the little mauve men from space. I never did write him a fan letter but I hope he gets it in the chrono-synclastic infundibulum.

Yahtzee
04-12-2007, 15:36
problably one of the few authors who i have liked enough to read all they have had published..........that i know of

peace
jeff

I would start at the source, the final writings of Mark Twain, unreleased until after his death. They are A Pen Warmed in Hell and Letters from Earth. Both are wicked reflections on American society and its fascination with money and god. Also, the funniest stuff I have ever read. Also, some of the saddest.

I would also look up H.L. Mencken. A little rough but spot on analysis of American culture.

Some Tom Robbins is as fantastic.

I always just read Cat's Cradle or God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater again.

The final line of his final novel, Timequake, "What a brother, what a language." Sleep well, brother. * (Breakfast of Champions)

soad
04-12-2007, 15:45

peace
jeff

I second Tom Robbins (born in Blowing Rock, NC 1936 not TOO far from the AT...).

Bless you Kurt

Freeleo
04-12-2007, 16:07
thanks for the feedback
jch

Skidsteer
04-12-2007, 17:06
Another vote for Tom Robbins....

Jimmers
04-12-2007, 17:24
I would start at the source, the final writings of Mark Twain, unreleased until after his death. They are A Pen Warmed in Hell and Letters from Earth. Both are wicked reflections on American society and its fascination with money and god. Also, the funniest stuff I have ever read. Also, some of the saddest.

I'd have to say almost all of Twain's works are worth a read. He had such an irreverent outlook on almost everything that you could mistake him for a modern day author. Pity we don't have another Twain around right now.

superman
04-12-2007, 17:55
Originally Posted by superman http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=351662#post351662)
He never disliked you. Of course, he probably never met you.

Notice the qoutes on my post. It was a qoute from one of his books.

Freeleo
04-12-2007, 19:35
my apologies to superman.......i just glanced at the post while doing (or not doing) three different things at work........i figured as much after seeing the quotes..... after i reacted..........my newb knucklehead should have thought better....the people and insights here at WB are great... hope u enjoys this pic i just arranged

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k165/jeffhartman1019/IMGP0549.jpg

jch

EWS
04-12-2007, 23:03

peace
jeff

Ray Bradbury, Leonard Wibberley, and George Orwell are close to his genre. But I've never found anyone as wonderfully twisted as Vonnegut.