PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Damascus to Grayson Highland

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 07:55
I am coming up today to hike from Grayson Highland back to Damascus and need a ride back to Grayson around Sunday. Is it easy to hitch on hwy 58 or who in the area doe's shuttles and how much would it cost?

jlb2012
04-12-2007, 08:02
better choice would be to hike toward your car - get the shuttle at the beginning of the hike

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 08:10
I will be coming in from the Grayson side and would have to go to Damascus and the hitch back to start. Either way would work for me but it's short notice and if I'm trying to get a ride back to Grayson after the hike I can hang out in town (things to do, eat drink and be marry ) until I find one. I don't have the time to "hang out" in town waiting for a ride "to start" my hike. By the way are any of the bar and grills open that sale beer on Sunday in Va? Is Dots open on Sunday?

orangebug
04-12-2007, 08:11
Agreed. Leave the car in Damascus and get a shuttle to Grayson Highlands. It may be easier to get a shuttle to The Scales, just outside the highlands.

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 08:17
Whats the "Scales"? I'm familure with the area somewhat but not that. If I do that I'll need that ride TODAY and be pushed for time.

orangebug
04-12-2007, 08:26
The Scales is an area for hunters, horsemen and intersects the AT just north of Wise Shelter. You should get the good map (not the AT map, but NG or similar) and blueblaze along horse trails over to rhododendron Gap (or back to Massey Gap and follow AT the rest of the way. I'd encourage you to blue blaze along the Virginia Creeper Trail, as you have ice cream, easier footpath, more scenery, and great looking girls in spandex.

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 08:37
Your not talking about the AT crossing at White Top / Mt Rogers are you? Also I thought I'd probably take the "Creeper" when I came to it and watch the creek on the way down.

Alligator
04-12-2007, 08:40
Try Mt. Rogers Outfitters or send Lone Wolf a pm, he could steer you in the correct direction.

Midway Sam
04-12-2007, 09:04
Try Mt. Rogers Outfitters or send Lone Wolf a pm, he could steer you in the correct direction.

MRO Shuttle Prices:

http://www.mtrogersoutfitters.com/hostshut.html

Just used them, great folks. Dave REALLY went out of his way to retrieve an item I forgot in my vehicle and bring it to me on the trail!

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 09:15
Thanks midway but dang those prices are alittle high ya think? Shnt! Grayson wasn't listed but they want 35.00 just to white top. Thats pretty high priced.

Midway Sam
04-12-2007, 09:19
I found the prices VERY reasonable. Gas ain't cheap and neither is an employee's time.

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 09:41
Those rates appear to me to be about a dollar a minute for the ride. Thats reasonable? Professional drivers don't make near that. I haven't had to pay shuttle before so I don't know what the going rate is but that sounds high to me.

orangebug
04-12-2007, 09:44
MRO's prices are reasonable. Remember that little Katrina thingy and where the bulk of our crude oil comes from?

I'd expect the cost to Grayson Highlands State Park to be pretty steep. I believe my wife and I went to ElkGardens (just south of Mt Rogers) for $30 last August.

You join the Virginia Creeper south of White Top Mtn, not on the mountain itself. The AT leaves and rejoins. Don't leave the Creeper trail at all, as you will find a much more rewarding walk, and make up the extra time walking in from the Scales.

Lone Wolf
04-12-2007, 09:49
Thanks midway but dang those prices are alittle high ya think? Shnt! Grayson wasn't listed but they want 35.00 just to white top. Thats pretty high priced.

I'll take you to Grayson for $30.

eventidecu
04-12-2007, 10:08
MRO's prices are reasonable. Remember that little Katrina thingy and where the bulk of our crude oil comes from?

I'd expect the cost to Grayson Highlands State Park to be pretty steep. I believe my wife and I went to ElkGardens (just south of Mt Rogers) for $30 last August.

You join the Virginia Creeper south of White Top Mtn, not on the mountain itself. The AT leaves and rejoins. Don't leave the Creeper trail at all, as you will find a much more rewarding walk, and make up the extra time walking in from the Scales.

Sorry but thats tourist trap rates. I can drive my 4wd from Charlotte there and back for 25-30 bucks. ( Did it 2 weeks ago) It aint the fuel and the gas prices are because of fat cat oil tycoons shutting down every other refinery every other six months claiming "routine maintiance" to "fix" the supply vs. demand to drive the price up. The only thing their "maintaining" is having half the refinery's shut down at any given time. LW's offer is reasonable enough, MRO's would be twice that at least.

Alligator
04-12-2007, 10:13
When it comes to shuttlers, LW is a cheap ride:jump .

Alligator
04-12-2007, 10:37
I've heard rumors that he may even give rides for beer. That might be hearsay, so don't go thinking he's some kind of cheap ho.

Jimmers
04-12-2007, 10:38
Those rates appear to me to be about a dollar a minute for the ride. Thats reasonable? Professional drivers don't make near that. I haven't had to pay shuttle before so I don't know what the going rate is but that sounds high to me.

Sounds about right to me. They have to make a slight profit, and the rate's probably based on tha fact that the van's not always going to be full. Gas for a van trip of about 25 miles one way, drivers time, wear on the van, it adds up quick.

orangebug
04-12-2007, 10:40
LW gives good rides, as does MRO and other shuttlers in the area. Go with whatever seems most appropriate with you.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Midway Sam
04-12-2007, 10:48
LW gives good rides, as does MRO and other shuttlers in the area. Go with whatever seems most appropriate with you.

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I hired MRO to shuttle me and they did so in a safe and courteous manner, and even added the value of retrieving an item and delivering it to me AT NO COST. They asked me what MY schedule was rather than telling me when to show up. My group were the only ones in the van and the $55 to the Park HQ split 3 ways was only $18.33 per person. BARGAIN!

Keep in mind that this is a "round trip" for them, even if you don't ride round trip. They are not a taxi service.

Alligator
04-12-2007, 11:03
Additional service for nothing, that's always nice. Usually if you want a little something more or another ride it'll cost you extra. Discounts for groups though is usually standard.

waterboy99
04-12-2007, 11:18
If you plan on leaving your car at the parking lot near the AT, I would think again. Last year was a pretty bad year for breakins at just about every parking area near the trail. I know at least one person who's car was broken into at several of the local trailhead parking area. Last year in Damascus alone there were 7 or more cars stolen from the parking lot at the park. All were Toyotos but one pick up truck was stolen at the Straight Branch Creeper Trail lot along with a trailer loaded with Boy Scouts gear and bikes. Since there were so many breakins at the local trailheads I thought I will just leave my car unlocked because there is nothing in it anyway. Someone tried to steal my VA safety inspection sticker but it started tearing. I doubt this year will be much different as far as the breakins. Just a thought from some one who lives in the area.

D'Artagnan
04-12-2007, 11:49
I need to figure out a way to rig up my car to explode like James Bond's Lotus in "For Your Eyes Only". That would teach the rat bastids to mess with other people's stuff. On second thought, I'm not sure how State Farm would handle that claim. Oh yeah, they'd screw me over just like any other time. :rolleyes:

Groucho
04-12-2007, 17:02

Massie Gap=Grayson $50

Just in case anyone might think they don't go there