PDA

View Full Version : Bell on a walking stick

squirrel bait
09-03-2003, 15:47
Having read this forum for a little while I realize that the late summer funnies have set in. All right I'll throw out a subject, how long, if at all, will it be before my bell on my hiking stick drive you nuts? Will you sneak in the night and duct tape it? Suggest I eat it with my off brand Ramen? Say your helping me save wieght and toss it? Tell me to dig the next cathole deeper cause therewill be an extra deposit? Will I be hiking alone? Sooner than I think? As we say here on the outer banks, bring it Fabian.

brian
09-03-2003, 15:52
Hiking alone is a good way to put it;-)

Streamweaver
09-03-2003, 16:15
That bell has only one rightfull place and thats at the end of a fishing pole ,when fishing for catfish at night. Seems to me that if people started wearing these bells on the trails the bears would soon get used to them and they would become a dinner bell just making his job that much easier! Streamweaver

squirrel bait
09-03-2003, 21:49
Doesn't help with make no sound does it.

smokymtnsteve
09-03-2003, 22:14
Why do you carry a walking stick????...Oh forget it that was the hiking poles forum I got to thinking about...:D

squirrel bait
09-08-2003, 10:01
Moderator you can close this. My bell stays on my Glacier National Park staff, I'll take my Osage Orange. Thanks evryone good luck on your hikes.

Virginian
09-08-2003, 22:49
If you want to carry a bell on your stick. At least make it a no# 3 farm bell. That why the rest of us have something to talk about.

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2003, 15:03
There are at least 4 good reasons NOT to have bells on your stick, shoes,or anywhere else while on the A.T:

1. They will most likely NOT deter a bear from attacking you, which is their assumed purpose; if a bear wants to cause you trouble, he will, and 99% of the time will be when you're in camp, where your bear bells will be even more useless than they are on the Trail.
2. You don't have to worry about bear attacks on the A.T. in any case; they are virtually unheard of. You have a much better chance of being attacked in your home by the family cat.
3. Bells are extremely annoying to anyone that has to listen to them.
4. Most important---bells will serve one purpose only, and that is to scare off wildlife away from the Trail, meaning anyone hiking immediately behind you will miss out on a lot of animal sightings, photos, etc. Hiking behind a guy with bear bells is like hiking right behind a dog; if you don't want to see any native wildlife, by all means hike with bells or Fido.

In short, the only place one wants to hear bells on the A.T. is in church on Sunday. Leave em at home.

squirrel bait
09-12-2003, 09:44
Thanks ya all, as stated earlier I am taking my osage orange. And thank you jack for the resupply advice. Very very helpful.

Jaybird
01-19-2004, 16:02
Not for me............

the bears can just hear you coming quicker....with bells on! hehehehehe ;)

see ya'll out there (WITHOUT BELLS) in 2004!

Doctari
01-19-2004, 17:37
Bear Bells??? :jump

How to tell bear poop from other poop: Bear poop has Hiker bells in it. (silly giggle)

So, obviously my answer was "don't need them".

Besides, I like the peace & quiet, and all the bells do is scare away the critters I want to see, even bears.

Doctari.

Buckingham
08-02-2005, 23:13
I attached 2 huge bells to my over-sized walking stick, just so I can hear people comment, "Look at the set of bells on that guys big stick".:eek:

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2005, 14:11
At one point this spring we were completely surrounded by annoying people who were so timorous about being in the woods that just about everything they owned was liberally festooned with bear bells......their sticks, their boot laces, packs, etc. If they'd had little cymbals it would've sounded like a bunch of hiking Hari Krishnas.

We dedcided to get well ahead of 'em, but first, we bought a bunch of bells in a dollar store, which we proceeded to jam into all the bear turd piles we found on the trail, with just a wee bit of bell sticking out, enough for hikers to notice in passing.

We're sure these folks slept well for several days before happily decamping to New York.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2005, 14:16
Hmmm. Leaving bells in sht is littering. Where's LNT come in? :cool:

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2005, 14:24
You're right, Wolf. I'm sure Rick will chastise me at any moment for flagrant dis-respect for the law.

Geez. Maybe I shoulda told you the bells in question were made by a non-profit group from Ashevile that employs left-handed albino transgendered Latvian emmigrants, and were manufactured from entirely bio-degradable components.

Silly me for leaving this out.

gr8fulyankee
08-03-2005, 15:02
HAAAAAA ! :D
left-handed

You're right, Wolf. I'm sure Rick will chastise me at any moment for flagrant dis-respect for the law.

Geez. Maybe I shoulda told you the bells in question were made by a non-profit group from Ashevile that employs left-handed albino transgendered Latvian emmigrants, and were manufactured from entirely bio-degradable components.

Spirit Walker
08-03-2005, 15:02
One of the great pleasures of hiking in the mountains is the wildlife - birds, deer, moose, porcupines, etc. If you are making noise, you will miss out on a lot. Bells aren't necessary, they are annoying to most, and will prevent you from enjoying the wildlife. So why do you think it necessary?

Buckingham
08-03-2005, 15:23

Silly me for leaving this out.As a left-handed albino transgendered Latvian emmigrant I am appalled by your comments. For God's sakes, my brothers and I slave away at a factory, working for a "non-profit" group, which really means they can get away with paying us well below minimum wage. Exposure to your so-called "bio-degradable" components, has caused great swelling in my eyes, nearly blinding me, making it near impossible to work on those tiny little bells, thus leading to my recent demotion, and almost inevitablely, my termination.

And all of this just so you can play with bear feces.

Nean
08-03-2005, 16:08
Hey Buckingham, you can always get a job at Rosettos'. Lots of the factory workers have gone on to work there. Its one of my favorite spots in Asheville.

justusryans
08-03-2005, 17:25

THATS RIGHT!! Discriminate against us RIGHT-HANDED albino transgendered Latvian emmigrants. Carpel-tunnel, carpel-tunnel... WHERE'S MY LAWYER!!??