PDA

View Full Version : Weather expectations : New Hampshire in Early June

DawnTreader
04-12-2007, 11:07
I know how chilly it can get in the Whites in early spring, I am wondering what, if any, altertercations I should make to my summer setup for these first 2 weeks of June. I tend to pack heavy on weather clothes as it is. These are my plans, suggestions and opinions wanted..
1 fleece pullover
dri ducks rain jacket
Thermal baselayer (pants and shirt)
1 pair of zip off hiking pants
wool socks
beanie and gloves
2 quilts for hammock and a silk liner

I know how to use my gear in combinations and figure that if I get too cold my down quilts (nest + Shennendoha) can bail me out... Is this setup unsafe for early June?

The Solemates
04-12-2007, 11:17
I know how chilly it can get in the Whites in early spring, I am wondering what, if any, altertercations I should make to my summer setup for these first 2 weeks of June. I tend to pack heavy on weather clothes as it is. These are my plans, suggestions and opinions wanted..
1 fleece pullover
dri ducks rain jacket
Thermal baselayer (pants and shirt)
1 pair of zip off hiking pants
wool socks
beanie and gloves
2 quilts for hammock and a silk liner

I know how to use my gear in combinations and figure that if I get too cold my down quilts (nest + Shennendoha) can bail me out... Is this setup unsafe for early June?

We were in NH in May on our thru, so assuming May is cooler than June, you can compare our list to yours:

I carried:

zip off pants
long sleeve tee
200-weight fleece
rainjacket
rainpants
fleece hat
socks
30-degree bag that the two of us unzipped and shared as a quilt

I never got too cold.

Rhino-lfl
04-12-2007, 13:22
You ought to be fine, if anything you'll probably be warm during the day. And at night if you do get cold, you can alway fill your hammock with leaves.

Frosty
04-12-2007, 14:34
I would add a second pair of gloves. One for hiking should be pretty much waterproof if you are going to be on trails where you need to hold onto rocks/trees. Everything is likely to be wet.

A second thin pair (silk or polypro) for chores in camp at night.

I would also bring along a warm watch cap or balaclava, unless that is what you mean by beanie.

Lastly I wouild bring along a shell sturdier than the Dri Ducks. They are fine for keeping warm in camp, but a shell is better for hiking in spruce forests.