PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Caretakers Wanted for AMC employment this summer.

Dingle
04-12-2007, 12:17
Hey everyone. First off please refrain from turning this thread into a debate over the AMC, if you have any specific issues you would like to address, please contact me.

One of my first tasks as the new Backcountry Field Coordinator this summer is to help finish hiring for the upcoming Caretaker season. Currently there are two positions open to fill, and currently we do not have a very big applicant pool of qualified or experienced candidates. If you would be interested in working as a Backcountry Caretaker and would like to apply for a position, please email me or fill out a seasonal application form at:

AMC Seasonal Employment (http://www.outdoors.org/employment)

Please note that this is for managing a Backcountry Campsite/Shelter with a focus on backcountry resource management, public education, and trail/campsite rehabilitation. This is not a hut job nor is it a hospitality position. The season starts on May 30 and goes through September 10, with a possibility of continued employment until end of September. We are currently only looking for applicatants who's availability matches that.

Here is the job description, please contact me if you have any questions:

AMC Backcountry Campsite & Shelter Caretaker/Rotator

Summary:

In cooperation with the White Mountain National Forest and the State of Maine, the AMC places caretakers at the most heavily used backcountry shelters and tentsites in the White and Mahoosuc Mountains. In 2006 the following nine of the fourteen sites maintained by the AMC will be staffed with a caretaker: Kinsman Pond, Liberty Springs, Garfield Ridge, 13 Falls, Guyot, Ethan Pond, Nauman, Imp, and Speck Pond. Most sites are on or near the Appalachian Trail.

Caretakers are placed on site as a result of a site’s popularity and resource sensitivity to recreational impacts. Staffed sites see between 1,000 and 2,200 overnight visitors in the summer months with system wide use averaging 14,000 visitors. Caretakers are placed on site to provide exemplary resource protection and public service, which is accomplished through information and education, campsite management and rehabilitation, trail maintenance, human waste management, and search and rescue.

Permanent caretakers stay on site for 10 or 11 days at a time followed by 3 or 4 days off. Home is a 10 x 12 foot canvas wall tent with all tools, supplies, and equipment provided. Rotator positions cover three sites when the regular caretakers are on days off, traveling from location to location. Reporting to the Shelter Supervisor, the Shelter Caretaker’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:

- Provide information and education to trail and campsite users
- Perform campsite and shelter maintenance, rehabilitation, and supervision
- Maintain nearby trails
- Maintain human waste composting system
- Collect overnight fees from users and post daily weather forecast
- Generate daily use and work reports, and year end report
- Protect water supply
- Supervise and lead volunteers as needed
- Address special problems as they arise at site
- Promote Leave No Trace ethics

Required skills:

- Strong commitment to resource protection and public service
- Emotional maturity and self motivation
- Ability to work and live alone in remote setting with minimal supervision
- Excellent education and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with diverse groups of hikers
- Extensive backpacking experience and ability to carry heavy loads long distances over rugged terrain
- Strong commitment to backcountry stewardship and Leave No Trace ethics (over)

Desired skills:

- Knowledge of AMC and White Mountains
- Wilderness First Aid certification
- Trail work experience
- Public service experience
- Education experience

Season:

Summer: Third week of May through August or late September
Fall: Mid-August through late September

hammock engineer
04-12-2007, 13:00
Sounds like a cool summer job for the right person. If I wasn't hiking I would consider it.

celt
04-12-2007, 13:07
Congratulations on your new job!