PDA

View Full Version : 5 day stretch in New Hampshire or Maine

JRamboLemur
04-12-2007, 14:16
Hi folks~

I'm planning on doing a week long section of the AT in either NH or Maine the first week of June. Though I've never hiked the AT, I've got a 70 mile stretch of the Pacific Crest trail (another week long hike) in the mountains of Washington State under my belt.

So where should I go and what should I be aware of? If early June is too early to get high up in the Whites, I'm open. I just need to get out on the trail!

Many thanks,

Josh

Peaks
04-12-2007, 17:25
June should be a great time to hike, just expect black flies.

Buy the AMC White Mountain Guide. There are several great multi-trips possible.

Askus3
04-12-2007, 22:26
I consider Maine one of the best AT hiking experiences. If you want to hike with a good many of AT MEGA's any place in maine in June going southbound you will have company. If you hike your section northbound, you will meet oodles of thrus for brief encounters. The snow should be gone in June but streams are swollen.

I think the section from US 201 to ME 4 (southbound) would be a terrific week long haul (68.8 AT miles). After setting up your shuttle, you can spend the night in Caratunk, ME at Steve Longley's hostel and right out of the gate the next morning you get to experience the ferry experience across the Kennebec. First you have relatively easy hiking to the base of Little Bigelow. Then after this pleasant stretch the terrain drastically changes and you get to climb over the Bigelows, Crockers, Sugarloaf (spur trail), Spaulding (spur trail) and for a great above treeline experience take the spur to Mt. Abraham. Then onward and over the Saddlebacks. The stretch from ME 26 to ME 4 is only crossed by two lumber roads, so other than backpackers, you really are on your own thru some far less travelled and at times above tree-line experience. Then if you are going good and you have time beyond ME 4 to ME 17 (additional 13.1 miles) is easier lake country terrain similar to the stretch from 201 to East Flagstaff Raod.

The Mahoosuc stretch southbound including the Moriah-Carter-Wildcat Ranges make another nice AT section worth tackling. From Andover, ME (East B Hill Road) to Pinkham Notch (62.5 miles) it is quite spectacular and worth considering. You start at Andover. ME where there is a choice of fantastic hostels to stay at. Immediately you climb the brethtaking Baldpates with views that are hard to beat. On the second day you get to go through the infamous Mahoosuc Notch which is considered the toughest one mile piece of the AT and it is fun! You also pass the highest lake in Maine (Speck Pond) and once south of US 2 you get to climb over 6 - 4,000 footers.

The Whites are far more accessible and with the huts is much more travelled. The NH White Mountain stretch is quite spectacular but if the weather is not in your favor could be much more challenging and camping options are far more limited. No stealth camping over treeline. So your plans through the Whites are much more rigid.

For me a backpack between the first two choices would be what I would choose from.

rafe
04-12-2007, 23:33
The section between Pinkham and Grafton notch (Carter-Moriah and Mahoosucs) is gorgeous. It's generally much less crowded than the Presidential range, and the shelters aren't halfway down the mountain. Gorgeous views from Imp shelter looking back at Mt. Washington, Adams, Madison, et. al.

warraghiyagey
04-13-2007, 01:30
If your week consists of both weekends - as in nine days - why not get a great feeling for the start of a through hikeand hike the 100 mile from Katahdin to Monson. You could spend your last night at Shaw's for a last taste that will leave you wanting more.:) :)
Or start at Monson and end at Katahdin to get a glimpse at the end of a thru hike.:)

rafe
04-13-2007, 09:22
If your week consists of both weekends - as in nine days - why not get a great feeling for the start of a through hikeand hike the 100 mile from Katahdin to Monson. You could spend your last night at Shaw's for a last taste that will leave you wanting more.:) :)
Or start at Monson and end at Katahdin to get a glimpse at the end of a thru hike.:)

If one intends to thru-hike (eventually), that's like eating dessert first. :D

DawnTreader
04-13-2007, 10:24
I always eat desert first. closely followed by a nice apple treat.. Isn't that right Warraghiyagey!!
Since there was no mention of a thru hike by the poster, I would also suggest monson to Katahdin..
All other routes suggested are also great options.

rafe
04-13-2007, 10:48
The 100-mile wilderness is a gorgeous piece of trail, a righteous finale for a nobo thru-hike. "Back in the day" it was assumed that there was no practical resupply between Abol Bridge and Monson. I'm not sure how things stand nowadays on that score.

warraghiyagey
04-13-2007, 13:11
The 100-mile wilderness is a gorgeous piece of trail, a righteous finale for a nobo thru-hike. "Back in the day" it was assumed that there was no practical resupply between Abol Bridge and Monson. I'm not sure how things stand nowadays on that score.

Well there is White House Landing that definitely has enough supplies to get you through to Monson if you're running short of food. They also make a GREAT cheeseburger and generally all their food is delicious. Plus you can use their canoes on Pemadumcook Lake for a great view of Katahdin.
The down side is you'll be serenaded by offers to by the property and be exposed to some unpleasant domestic energy.
Supply-wise though, definitely enough to get you through.:)

warraghiyagey
04-13-2007, 13:13
If one intends to thru-hike (eventually), that's like eating dessert first. :D

Hey, If it were practical to eat cheesecake with globs of whipped cream allo day, all I would ever eat is dessert, well almost.;)

warraghiyagey
04-13-2007, 13:15
I always eat desert first. closely followed by a nice apple treat.. Isn't that right Warraghiyagey!!
Since there was no mention of a thru hike by the poster, I would also suggest monson to Katahdin..
All other routes suggested are also great options.

Yes, there are so many different desserts to be made with apples. Or to put it another way, an apple a day keeps the therapist away, right Dude?:) :D

JRamboLemur
04-13-2007, 18:00
Thanks everyone, these ideas are exactly what I was looking for. You've pretty much sold me on Maine.

Is the last 100 miles really doable in 9 days? You're tempting me!

And, though I'd love to, I don't see a through-hike happening any time soon. By the time I get around to it, I'm sure I'll be more than happy to hike ME again. In any case, I don't mind eating desert first, but the cigar has to wait 'til after supper. Not flexible on that one.

Askus3, what do you mean by After setting up your shuttle...?

Any other adivce you all want to throw my way, I'm all ears. I'm new to the ways of the AT. On the PC trail in WA, once you're in the mountains you're pretty much on your own. No shelters, no caches (that I know of anyhow), only latrines with million dollar views.

I'll buy the AMC Maine guide book.

woodsy
04-13-2007, 18:55
From Rt 4....up over Saddleback and Junior and spend 1st night at Poplar Ridge . Onward to Lone, Spaulding and Sugarloaf Mtn, spend 2nd night in the panoramic(weather permitting) Sugarloaf summit building(short blueblaze trail).
Onward to Crockers and RT 27(bail here if need) and the Bigelows. This could be a long day but Horns Pond lean 2's or camp at base of Bigelow 3rd night.
Attack the Bigelows with all you got left and shoot for The Tubbs lean 2 on Little Bigelow night 4 or camp where you may . Day 5 hit Long Falls dam road and your vehicle which you hired someone to place there. Good Luck, lots of 4,000' peaks in this trip.

DawnTreader
04-13-2007, 23:11
In all seriousness, the 100 miles could easily be done in 9, depending on your conditioning ect. ect. However, I spent 10 days in the wilderness and still felt rushed. I would gladly re-do the section, going less than 10 miles a day and hanging out at ponds and finding sweet campsites, and checking out blue blazes that I had skipped last time through....

JRamboLemur
04-13-2007, 23:51
In all seriousness, the 100 miles could easily be done in 9, depending on your conditioning ect. ect. However, I spent 10 days in the wilderness and still felt rushed. I would gladly re-do the section, going less than 10 miles a day and hanging out at ponds and finding sweet campsites, and checking out blue blazes that I had skipped last time through....

I'm with you on that, good reality check. I like the challenge of covering a lot of ground, but I like exploring and taking in the views more. I'd love to do the 100, but unless I can get 10 or more days to do it, I probably won't.

Your namesake happen to be Narnian? I just finished read The Voyage of... to my kids.

warraghiyagey
04-14-2007, 06:49
Thanks everyone, these ideas are exactly what I was looking for. You've pretty much sold me on Maine.

Is the last 100 miles really doable in 9 days? You're tempting me!

And, though I'd love to, I don't see a through-hike happening any time soon. By the time I get around to it, I'm sure I'll be more than happy to hike ME again. . .

If you set out to hike it in nine days,the tenth day you'll be telling all your friends what an amazing experience it was. And if you're wavering about a possible thru-hike someday, you won't be after the 100 mile (actually 117).
BTW, Shaw's in Monson is one of the legendary stops on the trail. And stop and have lunch at Lulu's. She is a great lady who can cook about any dish the world has to offer.:) :)

Deadeye
04-14-2007, 20:28
Before you head out, call ahead for trail conditions. At the rate we're going, you may have a good deal of snow left in early June. It's normal to have some snow remaining at Memorial Day, and this has been a relatively heavy snow year. It's also been a late snow year, with at least 4 major snowfalls since Valentine's day, and another 12-18" forecast this weekend (4/15-4/16) on the AT corridor in VT, NH and Maine.

Askus3
04-15-2007, 12:08
In post #12 you asked what I mean by car shuttle. Well you are hiking point to point, so either you have to have someone take you around from where you leave your car or you have to have two cars and shuttle. Since you are coming from Vermont, I figured day one is basically a travel day and setting up your car shuttle or leaving your car on ME 4 and driving around to the north end (Caratunk). Staying with Steve the "Ferryman at his hostel is a great way to start and then let him ferry you over the Kennebec. I prefer Caratunk as a start as you have an easy terrain day to start versus a northbound traverse over the Saddlebacks as Woodsy suggests. Also, the first week in June you can hike with the bulk of the southbounders and get the feel of their early on the trail experiences.

As far as buying the AMC Maine Mountain Guide, I think you would be better off with the Maine AT guide unless you plan on sometime in the future exploring Baxter State Park, Acadia National Park and other off the AT trails. The AT guide is better at giving you mile by mile details of the AT and where all the shelters are over the cousrse of the one week venture.

DawnTreader
04-15-2007, 15:40
As far as buying the AMC Maine Mountain Guide, I think you would be better off with the Maine AT guide unless you plan on sometime in the future exploring Baxter State Park, Acadia National Park and other off the AT trails. The AT guide is better at giving you mile by mile details of the AT and where all the shelters are over the cousrse of the one week venture.

Although you don't need the AMC guide if you have the AT trail map, I just have to say that I love my AMC Maine Moutain Guide...Its fantastic..