PDA

View Full Version : Food and Clothing Bags

HaddenLo
04-12-2007, 15:36
This might be a dumb or obvious question but how big of a bag do you usually have as your food sack. And how big of a bad for extra clothes. I know it would depend on what you take but im just looking for the common size bags for each.

And Were will the hikers who started the tru-hike this spring be at about the beginning of June?

Whistler
04-12-2007, 15:51
I use 2 bags in the 7x15in size for food. Clothing I don't wear also goes in a 7x15 (not the food ones :)

-Mark

map man
04-12-2007, 19:12
To answer your second question, the "typical" median completing thru-hiker would be around Harpers Ferry WV, or just south of there, at the beginning of June.

firemountain
04-12-2007, 22:41
For food on my thruhike I used the granite gear #6 ultralight. It is listed on the site as 28 grams, 8.25" x 18.25" and 980ci. I would usually stuff that full and then have another day and a half on top of that when leaving town. The very lightweight fabric and string held up great. Many nights I would hang the bag (weighing at the fullest almost 18lbs) from the shelter mouse hangers. Around five days or 100 miles. For clothing I would just jam extra stuff into empty spaces in the pack.

fiddlehead
04-12-2007, 23:00
For extra clothing, i don't need a big bag, because i don't carry much extra anything. A small bread size bag will do.
For food, much bigger, although some use 2 (one for snacks and daytime use, and one for after setting up camp) but, i just use one and it's about the size of 2 loaves of bread. here's a link to a pic of the bags i use: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/14/95.htm?567
I keep the food bag right on top as it's the one i access the most. The clothes really is down in the pack for after i hit camp. It's rare that i need it earlier in the day as long as my fleece top is handy. (and my raingear of course) have fun.

Earl Grey
04-12-2007, 23:18
I have one sea to summit 20L bag that I keep everything in at night. In the bottom of the bag I have the first aid kit and clothes and then in other sil nylon bags I have breakfast/lunch in one bag and then dinner in another. During the day I take those bags out of the sea to summit bag for easy access in the pack and then at night I put everything into the sea to summit bag for tree hanging. So in reality I have 3 bags but it "condenses" down to 1 for hanging. Seems to be efficient.