PDA

View Full Version : Question about this weekend

jmantooth
04-12-2007, 17:52
I am planning to hike from Springer Mountain to Woody Gap this weekend. We plan to start Saturday morning and hike all day. Camp Saturday night and finish the hike Sunday. However, the weather looks pretty bad- 80% chance of rain/ thunderstorms Saturday and more rain Saturday night. The low Saturday night looks to be around 45.

I have never done an overnight hike. Will I be miserable? Is it stupid to go ahead with out plans? Any suggestions or thoughts from those of you who have experienced weather like this would be much appreciated.

Skidsteer
04-12-2007, 18:04
Depends how bad you're jone'sing to hike. :p

Sunday doesn't look too bad so from that perspective you'll get good weather for 50% of the trip.

mrc237
04-12-2007, 18:07
IMO Don't go, if the weather is bad you'll have a hard time convincing yourself to go again.

gsingjane
04-12-2007, 18:52
We were supposed to start our spring section on Saturday (way up north of you, in NY/NJ) but now in view of the weather forecast are postponing it to Monday. In my view there is no reason at all to be miserable... plus if this is your first overnighter, there may things that need to be fine-tuned about your gear, and dealing in potential hypothermia weather is not the best time to find out about them. I am sure some people would call me a fine-weather hiker but as long as I have the choice, I choose to go when there is a better chance we'll enjoy it.

My .02!

Jane in CT

DavidNH
04-12-2007, 19:44
I am planning to hike from Springer Mountain to Woody Gap this weekend. We plan to start Saturday morning and hike all day. Camp Saturday night and finish the hike Sunday. However, the weather looks pretty bad- 80% chance of rain/ thunderstorms Saturday and more rain Saturday night. The low Saturday night looks to be around 45.

I have never done an overnight hike. Will I be miserable? Is it stupid to go ahead with out plans? Any suggestions or thoughts from those of you who have experienced weather like this would be much appreciated.

I would suggest you put the hike off and wait for better weather. Prolonged rain can really put a damper on things.. er so to speak! If this is your first over night, I would want descent weather so one has good memories. You don't want the first time to be a downer!

David

Two Speed
04-12-2007, 20:02
Seeing as you're in Alabama, have you considered hiking on the Pinhoti Trail (http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/) in the Cheaha State Park (http://www.cheahastpark.com/) area? The weather's supposed to be slightly better in Alabama than the North Georgia mountains. No point in driving extra just to get into sloppier weather for an overnighter.

Moon Monster
04-12-2007, 22:14
Don't go. The major forecast models are suggesting a very major storm may be coming. This may wind up being much more than mere sloppiness. All through the southeast, maybe all the way to the Gulf, there could be outbreaks of tornadoes and other very severe weather Saturday into Sunday. On the back side, cold air may surge in with snow in the elevations of the North Georgia AT. It may not be in the teens like last weekend, but snow and sleet at 35 degrees is a bad deal to make your first overnight.

You don't want to be shaking down the ins and outs of your overnight gear for the first time in these conditions, if they do indeed occur. In fact, even experienced hikers could face hypothermia conditions developing if they did not foresee the possible winter weather surge. You have the bulk of Spring still ahead of you to find another weekend.

jmantooth
04-13-2007, 08:57
Thanks everybody.

Good advice.

We are going to watch weather tonight and make final decision.

Gray Blazer
04-13-2007, 10:42
I was out last Tuesday, April 3 when that front came through at 1:30 in the morning and it was scary. I was camping on the ridge above Muskrat creek shelter and I thought the trees were going to come down. Some thru hikers got pretty wet. Be prepared.