PDA

View Full Version : Clingmans Dome parking lot

Uncle Wayne
09-04-2003, 02:16
My wife and I are planning on finishing the AT section through the Smokies next month and will probably use Jeff at The HIke Inn again for shuttle and lodging. We have hiked from Clingmans to Fontana Dam but want to finish at Clingmans this time. My question is: Can you leave a vehicle in the parking lot at Clingmans Dome for 3 or 4 days? Is it safe to do so? I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.

manzana
09-04-2003, 06:48
I believe the answer is a definite yes, although no secluded parking place is 100% guaranteed. I did this exact thing in reverse 3 months ago. I stayed with Jeff on Friday night and he shuttled me up to Clingman's on Saturday morning. Since I had to be back at work on Monday, I had to hump it back to the dam in 2 days. That is a classic weekend! I would hate to walk it the way you are going! Even though I had a reservation, the shelter was full so plan accordingly. You will have a great time.

manzana in Raleigh NC

Peaks
09-04-2003, 08:12
If really want to know about leaving a car for an extended period at a parking lot, then I suggest that you contact the National Park Service.

Most thru-hikers do just that, hike through without automobile support.

chris
09-04-2003, 08:45
I do not think it will be an issue. I've left my car for,now, a total of 8 3-day trips. One of them was at Clingmans, another at a trail head close by. No problems at all. Of course, you might get unlucky with a thief, but I do not know of any rules which prohibit your leaving your car there.

The hike should be fantastic, particularly if you have reasonable weather. The stretch of the AT between Icewater and Pecks corner is really magnificent. Don't miss Mount Cammerer. You'll just have finished climbing up a _long_ way. Make the .5 mile hike to it and rest there. Pecks is a very nice shelter, despite being .5 mile off. Try to get water before you drop down,as the shelter water is steeply downhill from it. The last time I was there, there was a small spring/rivlet just west (like 10 yards) west of the shelter turnoff.

Avoid Icewater for your sanity, although it is also a nice shelter with a great view (some of the reasons for its popularity).