PDA

View Full Version : hiking thru the smokys

Chicken Feathers
04-12-2007, 21:14
can anyone tell me what a person has to do about walking thru the Smokys I am starting at Springer and end at Davenport Gap. Do I just register at Fontana Dam? also would like to know is there backcountry parking at Big Creek Ranger Station

sliderule
04-12-2007, 21:21
Do I just register at Fontana Dam?
Actually, near the Fontana Marina, where the trail enters the parking lot.

also would like to know is there backcountry parking at Big Creek Ranger Station

Yes. There is also additional parking near the Big Creek Campground.

Whistler
04-12-2007, 21:45
There's also registration & backcountry permits & maps at the little visitors center on the dam itself, just before you cross it NOBO.
-Mark

ShakeyLeggs
04-12-2007, 22:41
Not sure if it is still there but there was a self register billboard at the fontana hilton. This was way back in 01.

generoll
04-13-2007, 06:11
for a different view of the Smokies you can always switch over to the BMT at Fontana. Some sections are arguably tougher then the AT, but if you like to walk alongside trout streams and treasure solitude you'll find plenty of both on that trail. You still have to register (which you could do at the dam last year), but I never shared a campsite and saw few if any hikers most days. The BMT comes out right at Big Creek and I left my car there at the parking lot by the campground without incident.