PDA

View Full Version : camping at the cheese factory

Chicken Feathers
04-12-2007, 21:29
is there good camping spots at the cheese factory (just past Indian Grave Gap)? and also is there water sourse there

Dances with Mice
04-12-2007, 21:30
Yes and yes.

Skidsteer
04-12-2007, 21:45
There is also a nice site a couple hundred yards South of the Cheese Factory on the right if heading NB.

A bit more seclusion if the CF is full up.

Smile
04-12-2007, 21:51
Nice place to rest up before you do the major climb into NC. :)

WILLIAM HAYES
04-12-2007, 22:02
Spent a nite there. There are good tenting sites and a good water source from a small creek just off the trail.
Have a good hike
Hillbilly

Dances with Mice
04-12-2007, 22:04
Nice place to rest up before you do the major climb into NC. From the CF there's still lots of Georgia left before you can think about NC.

Moxie00
04-12-2007, 23:18
Sort of funny cheese factory experience, got water, set up my tent, ate dinner, hung my food bag, put a cover over my pack, turned in for the night. Forgot it was the cheese factory and mice must still live there. During the night mice ate several holes in my pack. All that was there to eat was toothpaste and that must have been their goal. Lesson learned-- mice love cheese, must have homesteaded there 100 years ago. Prospered, population grew, no cheese anymore so they evolved into eating backpacks. Evolution and the ability to adapt is a wonderful thing. They must enjoy the ample water and soft grass and eating raw, uncooked backpacks.:eek:

Cookerhiker
04-13-2007, 13:47
Echo the others - it's a nice place to camp. I spent a night there in early March, 2004.

Smile
04-13-2007, 15:11
Dances with mice, isn't that the last 'flat place' before Bly Gap and that gnarly 3 mile or so climb (it felt that far) up to the next shelter? Hmmm, that is what I remember, going up that climbing ridge/steps thinking - shoulda camped at the CF!

I remember going past all that on a very long day, with that climb at the end of it, doing it again, I'll save that climb for first thing in the a.m. and go on to Standing Indian.

Dances with Mice
04-13-2007, 17:24
Dances with mice, isn't that the last 'flat place' before Bly Gap and that gnarly 3 mile or so climb (it felt that far) up to the next shelter? No, it's maybe 3/4 of the way to Tray Mountain from Unicoi Gap. It's south of Tray.

Smile
04-13-2007, 17:29
Oh yeah! OK, mixed up - guess if I had a guide book in front of me....it's all green out there, ya know?! :)

Dances with Mice
04-13-2007, 18:37
Oh yeah! OK, mixed up - guess if I had a guide book in front of me....it's all green out there, ya know?!It's ok, I always mix up Deep Gap & Low Gap. And then there's all those Indian Grave gaps.

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 18:54
Not only is it a nice spot to camp, but it's got the word "Cheese" in its name.

Gray Blazer
04-13-2007, 19:04
Tray mountain shelter has some nice places to camp. A couple of them have some really nice "front porch" views.

Cookerhiker
04-14-2007, 10:41
It's ok, I always mix up Deep Gap & Low Gap. And then there's all those Indian Grave gaps.

Also, there's a Deep Gap, GA and a Deep Gap, NC

And then there's Kelly Knobs in both GA and VA
And Peters Mountain in both VA & PA
What about all the Brushy Mountains and Laurel Forks?
And many more duplicate place names

Smile
04-14-2007, 12:39
I just know that next year, I won't be putting the miles between Bly Gap and Muscrat Creek Shelter at the END of the day, bad move last year!