PDA

View Full Version : Millinocket news

Fly By Mike
04-12-2007, 22:41
I arrived back here this week and found a few new happenings that should make this an even more friendly end-of-trail town. (or beginning).

I hear the new owners at the AT Cafe plan on offering internet access and doing the place over with an AT focus decor. I also heard there might be shuttles offered as well.

New owners also at La Terrace Hotel who have told me they welcome hikers and have done a great job revamping the place. Rooms to rent and also good food at very good prices. Wednesday night is 25c wings. Thursday is rib night. Good brews on tap and very friendly folks. One of the owners is also the postmaster so ask for directions when you pick up or send your mail.

There is also talk in town of resurrecting some kind of hiker festival. Probably won't happen this year but its a good sign that the folks around here want to have their town seen as a real trail town and welcome hikers.

There is more snow in the forecast and if the weather doesn't show some warming changes soon there will be snow and ice on Katahdin well into May and possibly June. This time last year the ice was out of most of the lakes and this year its still a good two or more feet thick. Melting snow and ice will also make for muddy trails and swift flowing streams in the early part of the season.

ozt42
04-13-2007, 15:16
It would be interesting to see how friendly the park staff would be to the idea of a hiking festival. It's hard enough to get into the park on a summer weekend as it is.

Jester2000
04-13-2007, 20:50
Fortunately, if it's held in the town one doesn't have to consult the park staff.

Fly By Mike
04-13-2007, 22:19
Fortunately, if it's held in the town one doesn't have to consult the park staff.

That would be the plan. The park staff are trying to follow through on Baxter's wish that the park remain "forever wild". That means limiting hard use like long term camping. Katahdin and most other hiking trails in the park are way too "wild" and difficult for the masses to start running all over the place. Vehicle access is limited and generally the park staff do a great job accommodating hikers. Millinocket is a great town and as it's the town where most finishing thru hikers celebrate their accomplishment, it seems like a natural as a place to celebrate hikers and hiking with a festival of some kind.

Ron Haven
04-13-2007, 22:20
Fortunately, if it's held in the town one doesn't have to consult the park staff.Paul & Jamie Renaud is opening a hostal in Millinocket also.

Fly By Mike
04-13-2007, 22:23
Paul & Jamie Renaud is opening a hostal in Millinocket also.

Ron is that the same people that bought the AT Cafe and Hostel or someone else?

Ron Haven
04-13-2007, 22:28
Ron is that the same people that bought the AT Cafe and Hostel or someone else?I think they are the same ones.They are really great people.Hikers may know them from helping Josh & Leigh at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega.

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2007, 13:00
Paul & Jamie Renaud is opening a hostal in Millinocket also.

Paul & Jamie = Ole Man & Navigator
http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/