PDA

View Full Version : what did miss janet tell you

mweinstone
04-13-2007, 06:07
i have a theory that everyone has some tidbit of wisdom imparted to them by the great one. i myself cannot forget her words to me one fine day in erwin." your hair looks better down" what did she do,... i mean say to you hiker?something that ecos in your thaughts? never goes away? springs up in your mind along with a favorite photo of her face? know the feeling.

PJ 2005
04-13-2007, 11:36
slow down... :(

Lion King
04-13-2007, 12:53
"Lets go to the Johnshon city Mullet bar and Line dance":D

Footslogger
04-13-2007, 13:19
When I passed through Irwin in 2003 she told me she'd see me at Katahdin.

As I walked into the Katahdin Stream Campground after summiting I heard someone holler "FOOTSLOGGER" and across the field ran Miss Janet to give me a HIGH 5 and big hug !!

She obviously was not there just to see me ...but I never will forget that. She does what she says she's gonna do !!

'Slogger

RedneckRye
04-14-2007, 02:14
I just spent 4 days hanging out at Janet's and she told me several interesting things.
I'd tell you what she told me, but I told her I wouldn't.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-14-2007, 04:44
Ms. Janet told me at Trail Days 2005 that I could hike the trail if I really wanted it - that she had seen people in my shape do it so she knew it could be done.

I will always be grateful to her for believing in me and to One-Leg for being the person I thought about as I laid in a hospital bed wondering if my dream could still become a reality. I figured if a guy could do it with one leg, I could do it with one bum leg.

Bare Bear
04-14-2007, 08:30
Ms. Janet gave me an old worn Hiker Bandanna HIKER TO TOWN thing. It worked wonders for getting rides easier; and I had my hiker group sign it as we passed thru and it is now framed and proudly hung in my living room. And yes Ms J I will get you another one! Thanks for being you.

SGT Rock
04-14-2007, 09:01
She told me to shut up and go to sleep.

Gray Blazer
04-14-2007, 10:11
She told me to shut up and go to sleep.

She's probably not the first.:D She told me to come on up and see her some time or was that Mae West :confused:

rafe
04-14-2007, 11:05
Maybe I was oblivious (wouldn't be the first time...) but Miss Janet wasn't part of the "trail community" when I passed through Erwin in 1990. Stayed at the conoe/kaykers hostel by the river. Here's the scene from the front of that dorm. You'll see a well-known WB'er in the attached pic.

orangebug
04-14-2007, 19:07
I didn't know Tom Hanks was a WhiteBlazer.

Ms Janet has assured me that she will get me to quit using the top pocket of my backpack.

She also told me that I look happy.

She is at least half right.

Topcat
04-14-2007, 19:07
Is that lone wolf?

rafe
04-14-2007, 19:44
Is that lone wolf?

The one and only...

Topcat
04-15-2007, 11:00
Look how young....

and thin...lol

Fannypack
04-15-2007, 16:21
Maybe I was oblivious (wouldn't be the first time...) but Miss Janet wasn't part of the "trail community" when I passed through Erwin in 1990. Stayed at the conoe/kaykers hostel by the river. Here's the scene from the front of that dorm. You'll see a well-known WB'er in the attached pic.is that Eric Rudolph? he sure is cute....

Programbo
04-15-2007, 18:05
Wait a minute..I`M older than Miss Janet????...How come I was picturing a grey haired woman of like 75?.....I must be thinking of someone else from the AT days of old who did something like this...Help me out here...... :confused:

Just Jeff
04-15-2007, 19:40
Looks like Steve Buscemi staring at Tom Hanks, with George Carlin in the snazzy high-waist pants on the right.

mweinstone
04-17-2007, 13:28
i know it dosnt count as something janet told me,...but at the soruck she did call out," wheres my matthewski?"and i spun around on one toe to assist her in cooking for the masses. shes good for telling people the truth. say you have something you need to say to someone but dont have the guts. miss janet can. miss janet can cause she mixes it with love and makes the world go round. who can make a rainbow of gravies? the candygirl can.

spittinpigeon
04-17-2007, 22:05
Janet gave me a baby, then it started crying. :'(

MrHappy
04-17-2007, 22:30
She told me to go home. I was injured and stubborn and didn't want to quit. She let me stay and hang out for a few weeks first though. She also taught me how to cook.

Jimmers
04-17-2007, 22:38
Looks like Steve Buscemi staring at Tom Hanks, with George Carlin in the snazzy high-waist pants on the right.

While drinking Busch and Miller High life. My God, that IS old! :D

Trail Yeti
04-18-2007, 02:48
She told me she liked my hat.....and that I wouldn't be able to tye-dye my kilt....She was right.

Gray Blazer
04-18-2007, 19:35
I think the Eric Rudolph angle needs to be explored (because this is a thread about Miss Janet:confused: ) There was a pic or a post on WB a while back about the FBI agents on the AT looking for Rudolph) Did anybody at WB ever think they might be passing or camping on AT or any where around Murphy with Eric?

freefall
04-18-2007, 19:59
She told several of us to never make the decision to get off the trail while actually out in the woods. Told us to make sure we were clean, rested and well fed.
Good advice!

Lion King
04-19-2007, 11:29
"You and Jack are more alike then you think, ya'll should stop arguing all the damn time"

:D:D:D

No one gets it, we debate.:banana

Packrat and I will see you in a couple of weeks Janet!!!!

bfitz
04-19-2007, 14:45
Maybe I was oblivious (wouldn't be the first time...) but Miss Janet wasn't part of the "trail community" when I passed through Erwin in 1990. Stayed at the conoe/kaykers hostel by the river. Here's the scene from the front of that dorm. You'll see a well-known WB'er in the attached pic.Geez, he sure looks like a hippy...

Lone Wolf
04-19-2007, 14:46
Geez, he sure looks like a hippy...

undercover narc

bfitz
04-19-2007, 14:47
Maybe I was oblivious (wouldn't be the first time...) but Miss Janet wasn't part of the "trail community" when I passed through Erwin in 1990. Stayed at the conoe/kaykers hostel by the river. Here's the scene from the front of that dorm. You'll see a well-known WB'er in the attached pic.Busch beer? Whodathunkit?

bfitz
04-19-2007, 14:48
undercover narcOh! ....oooops.....:o Not still on the job are ya?

driveby
04-19-2007, 16:11
she told me there was not way she was going to let Fannypack in the van for the night. sorry buddy, i tried. (one year at the PA Ruck. I think it was the year of the leaf blower)

Jester2000
04-19-2007, 20:02
First she sang "It's Rainin' Men." Then she told me to get off her porch.

foggy-bottom
04-19-2007, 20:55
O what a time i had at her place in 2004. Sitting at the table with a bottle of Jim Beam with Jack. But Miss Janet was the best. Foogy she said.. Your a wonderful guy. I blushed.

sleeveless
04-19-2007, 23:25
As I spent way to much time sitting at the computer transcribing my hand written journal onto my TJ, she told me something like the journal should be about the hike, not the hike about the journal. If I had been less concerned about my journal, I would have a lot fewer zero days. My pocketmail device was broken for over half the hike.

I must say though that I am glad I kept a journal. When I read a page it brings back those memories so clearly, like it was just yesterday not 2 years ago.

Sleeveless AT '05

Jester2000
04-20-2007, 17:45
I kept my journal in a book. Not surprisingly, it never broke and I wasted little time on computers. I like to open it up once in a while, and it's so touching that those who read it weep openly.

mweinstone
04-20-2007, 19:04
jester. put this quote from the winter warmer in your quote book. its from ann aka, manefesto, heres a pic to remind you . she took a look into my gorp bag and said with discust" this isnt gorp! its a bag of stuff!" you know my gorp. marshmallows and gingersnaps and cashews and gummies with snickers broken in half and pinnaple. whats so stuff, about that?! anywho, we got a great laugh out of it. i overheard janet say something about me that profoundly effected me since. in a good way. she diddnt know i was awake. she asked her friend," did you see how stoned matthewski looked." it was good for me. she said it nice. i was a little rubber faced. we were drinking good whiskey i think. dont really remember. might have been antifreeze.

mweinstone
04-20-2007, 19:06
and yes that is manefestoes real eye color. the pit stains are fake.

digger51
04-21-2007, 02:08
When I passed through in 2001 she said the words many of us heard then, "would you like a ride?" Unfortunately I was staying at another hostel at the time and didn't want to get thrown out like I saw someone who got a ride with her the day before. Hopefully, I will get the chance to get that ride next year.

Marta
04-21-2007, 05:47
Get thrown out of a hostel for catching a ride with someone?

mweinstone
04-21-2007, 06:33
yes marta. walk into uncle johnys. ask about the snickers for 50 cents sign. get told no snickers . order food. eat and chat with others stopping only to wait for shuttle to janets. get ride with janet to town with plan to return to jonnys. get told not to bother returning by johnnys . simply for being seen with our beloved queen.happens, happened, will happen.

bfitz
04-21-2007, 11:52
Get thrown out of a hostel for catching a ride with someone?How about get threatened with violence for catching a ride with someone. No joke.

Bilko
04-21-2007, 13:58
What did Ms. Janet tell me? Ms. Janet told me I could have any bunk. (I was the only one staying the night.) Ms. Janet told me to make sure I didn't get water outside the tub. (The shower wall was replaced the next week.) Ms. Janet woke me up and told me it's time for dinner. (I had three helpings of Vegetarian spaghetti with garlic toast and wonderful sweet tea.) Ms. Janet told me that breakfast would be at Sonic's. (She wasn't fixing breakfast because I was the only one there.) Ms. Janet told me to smile. (And she took my pictue.) Ms. Janet told me to jump into the van. (She drove me over to the river.) Ms. Janet told me to enjoy my section hike. (I have enjoyed every step.) When Ms. Janet speaks you listen.

However, it's not what she says, it how she makes you feel. I felt at home while staying at Ms. Janet's.

digger51
04-21-2007, 14:00
Sure enough..Uncle Johnny did it right in front of me the day before when I was checking in. Also on a couple of shuttle runs to town he said that he would kick out anyone who had anything to do with her. But this is about the nice things Ms janet does and says.

Red Hat
04-21-2007, 15:42
She sent Fat Chap to pick me up at Sam's Gap when I thought I was having a heart attack. She took me to the doctor and to the hospital for my EKG. I was fine, just needed a better back pack (pinched nerve), so she took me to Johnson City to find one. She told me to take care of myself. I'll never go anywhere near Erwin (even on I81) without stopping to see her.

mweinstone
04-22-2007, 00:56
when fat chap speaks, people listen.

half a fatchap is far better than no fatchap.

bfitz
04-25-2007, 18:06
Miss Janet told me to stop it. It's what she always tells me. I don't listen, though. And I suffer for it.

mweinstone
04-25-2007, 18:14
miss janet wasnt actually built to opperate on bfitz's. she runs much smoother on matthewskis and wonderfoots. we installed a dudeulitic converter in the late 90's to make it possible for the janet 5000 to run on bfitz only,... for short periods without any damage. longer exsposures require the acetomiacin update be installed. it is concevable that our engeneers will finish the commander data 3000 chip witch if installed by the target date of yesterday will allow permanent functin on bfitz premium blend only.this however is contingent on the completion of the time machine project underway at jester labs under the oversight of jesters mom.