PDA

View Full Version : JanSport D3 Backpack - Suitable for Thru Hike?

silveroak
04-13-2007, 11:43
I would like to thru hike the AT when I retire in 2-4 years. I have a JanSport D3 exterior frame back pack that I bought and used a little in the early 70’s. It has a capacity of 4140 cu inches and weighs 5 lbs 12 oz. It is still in excellent condition. As I recall from using it a long time ago it was a comfortable pack. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would be a suitable pack to use on a thru hike or are today’s packs much better in terms of weight and construction, etc.? Thanks.

Lone Wolf
04-13-2007, 11:44
I would like to thru hike the AT when I retire in 2-4 years. I have a JanSport D3 exterior frame back pack that I bought and used a little in the early 70’s. It has a capacity of 4140 cu inches and weighs 5 lbs 12 oz. It is still in excellent condition. As I recall from using it a long time ago it was a comfortable pack. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would be a suitable pack to use on a thru hike or are today’s packs much better in terms of weight and construction, etc.? Thanks.

i have 10,000 miles on a D2 jansport so yes you can do a thru-hike with it

verber
04-21-2007, 18:53
I have a JanSport D3 exterior frame back pack that I bought and used a little in the early 70’s. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would be a suitable pack to use on a thru hike or are today’s packs much better in terms of weight and construction, etc.? Thanks.

The original D3 was well made. There are more durable materials (like 100% spectra) that packs could be made out of, but the standard, mass market packs are unlikely to be more durable than your trusty D3. The D3 I purchased in the 70s is still going strong. It survive the boy scouts and many years of use after scouts. For the last 5 years it has been used as a loaner pack by a scout troop I donated it to.

If a D3 suitable for a thru-hike? It wouldn't be my first choice... but it would work. I would recommend doing the AT (or any of the long trails) with a lighter weight pack/gear. The modern equiv of the gear I was using in the 70s is approx 1/2 the weight. So it's possible to get buy with a less beefy back. A number of years ago I made a page which shows how my equipment changed. http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/backpack-heavy-light.html

I have a a bunch of pages with recommendations for light weight gear at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/

--mark

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-21-2007, 19:52
are today’s packs much better in terms of weight and construction, etc.?As LoneWolf notes, you certainly can take the D3 on a thru-hike. Today's packs are lighter, but often less durable and not as good at transfering weight to the hips as the old external frame packs. Unless you plan to buy a lot of super ultralight gear so your load is extremely light, using your old comfortable pack makes a lot of sense.

hopefulhiker
04-21-2007, 20:11
The luxury lite pack is a new light weight carbon external frame.. I used one it weighed around two lbs.. I would look at the new stuff though..

dloome
04-21-2007, 20:54
Is it a good quality pack you could thru hike with? Yes.

Are there just as quality, durable and comfortable packs that exist now that weigh MUCH less? Yes.

Your call.

RockDoc
05-04-2007, 23:26
Those JanSport frame packs were pretty expensive stuff back in the day.

The only potential problem was that their tubing was quite narrow, say compared to Kelty or Camp Trails frames, and I saw more than one that had broken while on the trail (especially if you fell and hit the frame on a rock). My friends and I avoided JanSport packs for that reason.

I just gave away my frame pack. Hard to go back to that after tasting some of the ultralight alternatives.

But do whatever works for you! There's no reason that pack would not work for some trips.