PDA

View Full Version : weight versus space

Grinder
04-13-2007, 11:52
Since I got interested in hiking via an interest in hammocks,I have found the emphasis here is on ounces.

I pieced together non cotton clothing, alcohol cooking stuff and sleeping gear (hammock, bag, tarp, pad) For a 14 pound base pack weight.

Cloths weigh 6 pounds with raingear.

1 pound kitchen.

Then I tried to pack things up. WHOA!!!

The rest of the story is that it gets problematic fitting everything in there.

I'm adding an outside pocket on my pack to carry food and water.

I'll be under thirty pounds with 5 days of supplies. I may look like a christmas tree with odds and ends fastened to the outside of the pack.

I guess I gotta hike three days and then review. The entire picture seems to change by Neels Gap.

Tom

Frosty
04-13-2007, 12:09
I'm adding an outside pocket on my pack to carry food and water.

TomI found it more useful to carry my tent (hammock in your case) in an outside pocket. When packing up in the rain, I dislike putting a wet tarp inside my pack. Also, when packing up in a downpour I never get the tarp rolled as tightly as when I take my time, and it takes up even more space. Lastly, should the rain stop during the day, it is easy to pull out the tent from the outside pocket and lay it over a bush to dry during a break.

Alligator
04-13-2007, 12:23
Advice often provided is to purchase the pack last so that things will fit in the way you want them to. Any chance the pack is new/can be returned? I find that too many items hanging off the pack is a PITA.

Gaiter
04-13-2007, 12:46
also just playing around with how you put things in, and knowing your pack and gear better, you'll be able to pack it in better.

Appalachian Tater
04-13-2007, 16:01
Sounds like you may have too many clothes. Consider posting a gear list here with weights. There are some good threads here about how to pack your pack, and on the internet. Thick red hair is right about learning how to pack it better with practice. If space still is a problem, you could get compression sacks for your bag and for your clothes.

Grinder
04-14-2007, 11:29
Appalachian Tater
Thanks for the compression sack idea. That is the answer to my problem.

My clothing weight includes a rain suit. I only have one tee, 1 underwear, two socks, I do have two pair of long johns, (one for extreme cold) and a down vest.

the down vest and the extreme long johns are bulky as heck, but allow me to save three pounds by carrying a light weight, 40 deg, bag.

I'm not commited enough, at this point, to invest in the expensive down options.

My pack is a DIY gearskin design. It is quite flexible as packs go. Can be adapted from slack pack to 6500Cu In, or so they sau.

My post was mainly aimed at newbies to alert them to monitor bulk as well as weight while putting together their camping gear.

I didn't and was suprised when I finally looked at the whole package.

Again, like TRH says, after you go out there, it will be simpler and I will refine the packing process many times over.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Skidsteer
04-14-2007, 16:25
Appalachian Tater
...My pack is a DIY gearskin design. It is quite flexible as packs go. Can be adapted from slack pack to 6500Cu In, or so....

Miles of Smiles
Tom

It'd be great if you could post some photos/description in the homemade gear forum....