PDA

View Full Version : Speer and HH comfort

sirbingo
04-13-2007, 12:18
Hey Hammock hangers...

Is a Speer hamock less comfortable then a HH?...or does it feel about the same?

Just Jeff
04-13-2007, 16:10
HH vs Speer is all about convenience trade-offs...comfort is equivalent, IMO.

My homemade Speer-types (based on the design from Ed Speer's book) are more comfortable than my HH BULA. I've laid in, but never slept in, the Speer he sells...seems just as comfortable.

The biggest issue for comfort is making sure the hammock is the right right fit (length and width mainly). If you hang a Speer right you can get just as flat as the HH...as long as you're comparing the right length/width of hammock.

Personally, I carry the Speer-types more often. If it's buggy I'll bring the HH...the bottom entry is pretty useful for a quick entry and exit when it's really buggy out. But that makes it tougher to get to your gear, too.

FanaticFringer
04-13-2007, 18:20
I have 2 Hennessy hammocks and 1 Speer (not homemade).
I echo what Just Jeff has said. They are pretty much equal in comfort.
I have modified all 3 hammocks suspension systems. Really makes things so much easier. Last I checked it was the most popular thread on the forum:
www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=ring

nutlub
04-13-2007, 20:49
This thread has got me to thinking.....Are Spear hammocks easier and cheaper to insulate from the bottom...ei underquilt. With my HH my options are a KA quilt or a JRB set-up. Speer hammocks look like there are a lot of DIY options

neo
04-13-2007, 21:25
Hey Hammock hangers...

Is a Speer hamock less comfortable then a HH?...or does it feel about the same?

i have used hh and speer,they are excellent hammocks and i still use them
but my favorite is the jungle hammock:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

neo
04-13-2007, 21:27
This thread has got me to thinking.....Are Spear hammocks easier and cheaper to insulate from the bottom...ei underquilt. With my HH my options are a KA quilt or a JRB set-up. Speer hammocks look like there are a lot of DIY options

my hammock has a double layered bottom,i use an old army pad between the 2 layers,i use the jungle hammock:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

Just Jeff
04-14-2007, 03:16

What other ways are you thinking of? You could use a PeaPod, underquilt or pad. With the HH, you can use a SuperShelter, underquilt or pad. Or you could sew in integral insulation to either model...the only insulated ones I've seen are based on the Speer but there's no reason you couldn't do it to a Hennessy if you wanted to do the mod. Unless you have another idea in mind...I'd love to hear it!