PDA

View Full Version : 1 month to go, gear check time, please comment

Earl Grey
04-13-2007, 17:32
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 Size L 3200cu. in.
Tent: MSR Hubba with footprint
Pad: Thermolite 3 Regular
Sleeping Bag: Montbell Ultra Light Alpine Down Hugger #5 Long

Stove: Jetboil PCS
Cozy: Handmade CCL envelope
Shoes: Vasque Endorphin Trail Runners
Socks: REI lightweight wool hiker x 2
Pants: zip-off Paramounts, Columbia nylons
Shirt: 2 wicking tshirts
Rain: Marmot Precip Jacket
Hat: Sombrero type wide brim hat and bandanas
Knife: Leatherman Micra
First aid kit: I put one together includes suntan lotion
Water Filter: Katadyn Water filter, Aqua Mira backup
Headlamp: Energizer headlamp with red LED
MP3 Player: Sansa 2GB with FM tuner
Hydration: 100oz. Camelbak and 2 32oz Nalgenes
Poles: REI Summits
Whistle: Coghlan’s with built in compass and thermometer
Food bag: 2 sil-nylon bags for breakfast and dinner, and another for snacks
Journal: Small journal with pencil and a reading book
Camera: Canon A530 with two 2GB SD cards and SD->USB converter
Guide: Thru-hikers Handbook

The big 4 (pack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and tent) only weigh 9lbs altogether. Before I got the new sleeping bag this was over 11lbs so I’m glad to have to got it under 10lbs. I have put everything together except for food and water and the total weight came to be 18lbs which is great and I hope the total weight with water and food included will be 30lbs and under.

There are some things I have 2 of and I may end up taking just one of those. In particular the shorts. I may do away with the zip off pants and just take one pair of shorts and then rain pants. Maybe the Nalgenes too but I always like to have lots of water all the time.

mountain squid
04-13-2007, 19:45
Looks pretty good. Some thoughts:

pack cover/liner
camp shoes
50' nylon cord
eating utensil
needle for draining blisters
insect repellent
duct tape
ear plugs for noisy shelter mates
hand sanitizer
TP and other toiletries
maps

Does the leatherman micra include tweezers/scissors? You'll need them for pulling ticks/cutting nails.
Is a cozy necessary with a Jetboil? Or are you planning on FBC? If so, need freezer bags.
If taking filter, suggest iodine tablets instead of AM as backup. Less bulky and lighter than AM, especially if only for backup. Personally, I use Aqua Mira...
Since you are already thinking about it, replace the Nalgenes with a Platypus. Same reasoning - less bulky and lighter...and holds more water...

Personally, I'd keep the zip-offs and the nylon shorts and wouldn't carry rain pants. Nylon shorts for sleeping and town (laundry).

Also, don't forget ID, atm/credit/phone cards and important phone #'s...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Earl Grey
04-13-2007, 20:21

pack cover/liner
camp shoes
50' nylon cord
eating utensil
needle for draining blisters
insect repellent
duct tape
ear plugs for noisy shelter mates
hand sanitizer
TP and other toiletries
maps

Does the leatherman micra include tweezers/scissors? You'll need them for pulling ticks/cutting nails.
Is a cozy necessary with a Jetboil? Or are you planning on FBC? If so, need freezer bags.
If taking filter, suggest iodine tablets instead of AM as backup. Less bulky and lighter than AM, especially if only for backup. Personally, I use Aqua Mira...
Since you are already thinking about it, replace the Nalgenes with a Platypus. Same reasoning - less bulky and lighter...and holds more water...

Personally, I'd keep the zip-offs and the nylon shorts and wouldn't carry rain pants. Nylon shorts for sleeping and town (laundry).

Also, don't forget ID, atm/credit/phone cards and important phone #'s...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I actually do have most of those things you mentioned but just didnt think to list it. Yeah im doing FBC which is why I had the nalgenes. I do have a 2L platypus but its the water bladder with a drinking tube version, I would need just a plain one although I could still use it.
I dont like the taste of chemicals which is why I use the water filter but yeah I should get some iodine tablets as they would be smaller.
What is a good way to keep cash/cards in a safe place where they wont get damaged?

Skidsteer
04-13-2007, 20:29
I actually do have most of those things you mentioned but just didnt think to list it. Yeah im doing FBC which is why I had the nalgenes. I do have a 2L platypus but its the water bladder with a drinking tube version, I would need just a plain one although I could still use it.
I dont like the taste of chemicals which is why I use the water filter but yeah I should get some iodine tablets as they would be smaller.
What is a good way to keep cash/cards in a safe place where they wont get damaged?

Why does FBC make the nalgenes necessary?

mountain squid
04-13-2007, 20:33
Personally, I have a small shoulder/neck type bag that holds all my 'important' stuff in it and goes everywhere I go (even when I take my pack off it is still around my neck). Important stuff being camera, ID and all cards, cash, etc...(ID/cards/cash in ziploc bags also)...

And, I agree with Skidsteer about the FBC and Nalgenes:confused:...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

scope
04-13-2007, 20:46

insect repellent

I'm curious at what point one needs this as I've hiked the GA & NC mtns and never needed it, even in summer. In towns maybe? Further up the trail? NE w/black flies?

I always used to take this stuff and I just never did use it. Typically a heavy personal item, is there a way to minimize it?

warraghiyagey
04-14-2007, 07:09
Pack: Osprey Atmos 50 Size L 3200cu. in.
Tent: MSR Hubba with footprint
Pad: Thermolite 3 Regular
Sleeping Bag: Montbell Ultra Light Alpine Down Hugger #5 Long

Stove: Jetboil PCS
Cozy: Handmade CCL envelope
Shoes: Vasque Endorphin Trail Runners
Socks: REI lightweight wool hiker x 2
Pants: zip-off Paramounts, Columbia nylons
Shirt: 2 wicking tshirts
Rain: Marmot Precip Jacket
Hat: Sombrero type wide brim hat and bandanas
Knife: Leatherman Micra
First aid kit: I put one together includes suntan lotion
Water Filter: Katadyn Water filter, Aqua Mira backup
Headlamp: Energizer headlamp with red LED
MP3 Player: Sansa 2GB with FM tuner
Hydration: 100oz. Camelbak and 2 32oz Nalgenes
Poles: REI Summits
Whistle: Coghlan’s with built in compass and thermometer
Food bag: 2 sil-nylon bags for breakfast and dinner, and another for snacks
Journal: Small journal with pencil and a reading book
Camera: Canon A530 with two 2GB SD cards and SD->USB converter
Guide: Thru-hikers Handbook

The big 4 (pack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and tent) only weigh 9lbs altogether. Before I got the new sleeping bag this was over 11lbs so I’m glad to have to got it under 10lbs. I have put everything together except for food and water and the total weight came to be 18lbs which is great and I hope the total weight with water and food included will be 30lbs and under.

There are some things I have 2 of and I may end up taking just one of those. In particular the shorts. I may do away with the zip off pants and just take one pair of shorts and then rain pants. Maybe the Nalgenes too but I always like to have lots of water all the time.

Nice base weight. You may find once you're out there though, if you're thinking about pack weight for 7 to 10 hour days that you may want to
- ditch the nalgene and just get a 32 oz. gatorade bottle
- ditch the rain pants
- ditch the compass/thermometer
- as well the water filter - look into iodine tabs or bleach drops
- and the leatherman - just a light 2.5" jackknife is plenty
- and the jet boil - make a pepsi can stove

These will save you quite a bit of weight and there are some items there that you may never use.
You may however want to have at least 2 pairs of short - if you bring three pairs you'll be glad you did sooner than later.
Also a long sleeve fleece layer.

Oh, and if you have anything in your first aid kit that akin to suntan lotion, ditch that too.
You've bought the right equipment to go light. Hope these ideas help.
Peace:) :)
SOBO7

Pokey2006
04-15-2007, 03:52
You can also probably ditch the whistle and the tent footprint.

Insect repellent can be found in small pouches, kind of the size of a ketchup packet. It's light enough to carry for "just in case" (like let's say all the sudden you're having a real bad gnat day). Then you can get a bigger bottle when bugs really do become an issue. Check for the packets at outfitters or on the web. You can even get a sunscreen-bug repellent combo, cutting down weight even more.

white rabbit
04-15-2007, 07:55
Leave the footprint at home, just clean up your tentsite carefully before setting up the tent. Will save 6 ounces. I also use a Pepsi can stove and have for about a year with no problem. They are light, reliable, and take up very little room in the backpack. You can also make one from cans you probably have around your house for FREE. Perfect for freezer bag cooking.
Aqura Mira will clean your water and leaves no bad taste that I have ever noticed. I have the same Katadyn filter. It weighs 11 ounces dry. After you use it some water will be trapped in the filter element making it weigh about a pound. Save that pound of weight and just carry the AM.

Appalachian Tater
04-15-2007, 10:45
A footprint or floor is great to have if the ground is damp or if there are insects.

If you burn easily, a small tube of sport suncreme is helpful. Starting in March there are no leaves and later there are long unshaded walks at times. The hat will do the same thing if you can wear it while you are hot and sweaty.

SGT Rock
04-15-2007, 10:57
Just my opinion but...

Looks like you are on it. Any changes I would reccomend are only personal preference. I think some others would agree anything they say is how they like it too. Personally I think you will probably end up doing some stuff like getting rid of the zip off pants, the filter, and swapping jet-boil for alcohol. But then again I could be completly wrong.

So what I reccomend is you take what you have planned and work it out for what works for you over the first couple of weeks. I think at this point that would be your best option.

Good luck.

Earl Grey
04-15-2007, 17:36
Thanks for the replies so far.

Nice base weight. You may find once you're out there though, if you're thinking about pack weight for 7 to 10 hour days that you may want to
- ditch the nalgene and just get a 32 oz. gatorade bottle
- ditch the rain pants
- ditch the compass/thermometer
- as well the water filter - look into iodine tabs or bleach drops
- and the leatherman - just a light 2.5" jackknife is plenty
- and the jet boil - make a pepsi can stove

These will save you quite a bit of weight and there are some items there that you may never use.
You may however want to have at least 2 pairs of short - if you bring three pairs you'll be glad you did sooner than later.
Also a long sleeve fleece layer.

Oh, and if you have anything in your first aid kit that akin to suntan lotion, ditch that too.
You've bought the right equipment to go light. Hope these ideas help.
Peace:) :)
SOBO7

The Nalgene has a slimmer profile so it fits easier on my pack and can also be carabinered to the outside whereas a gatordate bottle would have to be "in" something at all times. The compass and thermometer are part of the whistle so its an all in one deal and would be worn around my neck so it doesnt really count as far as pack weight. Also I like knowing the temperature and plan to record the temp each day and write in journal/registers. Alcohol stoves are light and I used to use them but just got tired of foolin with one at the end of the day which is why I got the jetboil. I have a long sleeve wicking shirt to bring in place of a fleece layer(I hope it doesnt get that cold to need one).

You can also probably ditch the whistle and the tent footprint.

Insect repellent can be found in small pouches, kind of the size of a ketchup packet. It's light enough to carry for "just in case" (like let's say all the sudden you're having a real bad gnat day). Then you can get a bigger bottle when bugs really do become an issue. Check for the packets at outfitters or on the web. You can even get a sunscreen-bug repellent combo, cutting down weight even more.

Ive been looking for the bug repellent/sunscreen combo for a while but havent found any. Who makes it? The reason I have a footprint is to not poke a hole in the bottom of the tent from sticks but maybe I dont need that in the long run.

Leave the footprint at home, just clean up your tentsite carefully before setting up the tent. Will save 6 ounces. I also use a Pepsi can stove and have for about a year with no problem. They are light, reliable, and take up very little room in the backpack. You can also make one from cans you probably have around your house for FREE. Perfect for freezer bag cooking.
Aqura Mira will clean your water and leaves no bad taste that I have ever noticed. I have the same Katadyn filter. It weighs 11 ounces dry. After you use it some water will be trapped in the filter element making it weigh about a pound. Save that pound of weight and just carry the AM.

The main reason I have the water filter is because my pack has an internal bladder holder and what I did was cut the bladder feeder tube and put the connector on it. This way I can pump water directly into the bladder without having to take the bladder out. It would be a pain to take it out everytime to put water in it plus the AM would run out fast as I drink water like crazy. 2-3 gallons a day.

Im leaning towards taking just one pair of shorts and 2 pair of underwear and then when I do laundry somewhere just wear a trashbag or something. :-?:banana

warraghiyagey
04-15-2007, 20:17
Thanks for the replies so far.

The Nalgene has a slimmer profile so it fits easier on my pack and can also be carabinered to the outside whereas a gatordate bottle would have to be "in" something at all times. The compass and thermometer are part of the whistle so its an all in one deal and would be worn around my neck so it doesnt really count as far as pack weight. Also I like knowing the temperature and plan to record the temp each day and write in journal/registers. Alcohol stoves are light and I used to use them but just got tired of foolin with one at the end of the day which is why I got the jetboil. I have a long sleeve wicking shirt to bring in place of a fleece layer(I hope it doesnt get that cold to need one).

Ive been looking for the bug repellent/sunscreen combo for a while but havent found any. Who makes it? The reason I have a footprint is to not poke a hole in the bottom of the tent from sticks but maybe I dont need that in the long run.

The main reason I have the water filter is because my pack has an internal bladder holder and what I did was cut the bladder feeder tube and put the connector on it. This way I can pump water directly into the bladder without having to take the bladder out. It would be a pain to take it out everytime to put water in it plus the AM would run out fast as I drink water like crazy. 2-3 gallons a day.

Im leaning towards taking just one pair of shorts and 2 pair of underwear and then when I do laundry somewhere just wear a trashbag or something. :-?:banana

You started this thread by asking to please comment. It seems you just wanted to elicit responses that you could argue with. If you didn't want helpful hints why bother with the thread? Or instead of asking to "please comment" why not ask simply to be commended on your choices.
The responses here were based on people willing to help. Now I'm guessing more than one of us are wondering what gives.
You can carry what you want. It's your hike. But don't waste the time of people you don't know but are willing to help by asking for comments and then defending what you don't have to defend.
Enjoy your hike.

Earl Grey
04-15-2007, 22:03
You started this thread by asking to please comment. It seems you just wanted to elicit responses that you could argue with. If you didn't want helpful hints why bother with the thread? Or instead of asking to "please comment" why not ask simply to be commended on your choices.
The responses here were based on people willing to help. Now I'm guessing more than one of us are wondering what gives.
You can carry what you want. It's your hike. But don't waste the time of people you don't know but are willing to help by asking for comments and then defending what you don't have to defend.
Enjoy your hike.

I guess youve never heard of the scientific method.

What Ive done here is observed other "phenomena" or other ways to do something and then compared against what I have. From this I can narrow down what to do with certain aspects of my gear. Thats how it works in the scientific community which is how I look at all this. You make it seem like I dont care what other people have to say but thats totally untrue. From this I'm thinking about not taking a footprint and maybe they didnt know the water bladder connected to the filter through a fitting. Im explaining why I have chosen what I did so they can understand and so can you.

Franco
04-15-2007, 22:53
Hi Blackmath
Like some others I have some reservations about the Jetboil, however at the end of a long walk it is
ideal for speed (set up and boil time) and safety. Bears and other critters aside, I would be happy to boil water with it inside the tent, obviously in emergency only. Not easy to do with alcohol.
Just in case... remember to take a lighter with you, the piezo is not very reliable. (it worked for about 20 times in mine and now it's dead weight).
Franco

warraghiyagey
04-16-2007, 00:52
I guess youve never heard of the scientific method.

What Ive done here is observed other "phenomena" or other ways to do something and then compared against what I have. From this I can narrow down what to do with certain aspects of my gear. Thats how it works in the scientific community which is how I look at all this. You make it seem like I dont care what other people have to say but thats totally untrue. From this I'm thinking about not taking a footprint and maybe they didnt know the water bladder connected to the filter through a fitting. Im explaining why I have chosen what I did so they can understand and so can
you.

OK, at the risk of having to feel like a tool again, just something that may or may not help. It sounds as if your setup requires having your pack at the water source for you to filter your water into your bladder which is consigned to your pack. If I'm not understanding correctly then please disregard. If I'm seeing it right, you may come to find this cumbersome and some degree of inconvenient - probably sooner than later.
We don't require understanding why your pack list is what it is, that is your 'scientific' endeavor. We just offer tips that come from experience and having been around folks with even more knowledge who we learned from, the chain of knowledge being handed down. Your pack list included equipment that seemed to be geared toward going light. Hence the 'comments'. You're not doing any of it wrong. But the tips seem mostly centered around lightness and convenience.
But most hikers find the right mixture on the trail, of what is right for them. Anything before that is just helpful tips from well meaning strangers who some day may be your friends.
Peace:)

Appalachian Tater
04-16-2007, 13:49
It sounds as if your setup requires having your pack at the water source for you to filter your water into your bladder which is consigned to your pack. If I'm not understanding correctly then please disregard. If I'm seeing it right, you may come to find this cumbersome and some degree of inconvenient - probably sooner than later.

True. It sounds as if you can do it either way, though.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 13:53
Stop worrying about what others think and scientific argument style. Take what you have on the trail and decide for yourself.