PDA

View Full Version : Wild Oasis

Skits
04-14-2007, 02:15
Got the Wild Oasis tarp (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48#) in the mail last week.

I got out and set it up today. I've only just set it up, haven't slept in it, nor I have I had it in rain, wind or bugs, so these are just my first impressions.

I'm a tad short of 6 feet and weigh 225 pounds so I'm not a small guy, but this tarp had plenty of room. You can sit up in the center of the tarp with plenty of head room and you can lay down easily without fear of knocking over the center pole, plus there is plenty of room in the vestibule area (other side of the pole) for your gear. I seemed to brush the back of the tarp a few times as I moved around, so that could be a minor problem if it was wet, but if I was paying attention I certainly could move around without brushing the tarp.

For the space you get inside it also has a small footprint.

Set-up was a snap and the bug mesh around the bottom seems more than ample protection for those pesky creatures (other than the ones already claiming that mound of grass you set the tarp over). I'll be interested in finding a windy spot and seeing how my set up is (with a lower set-up and a taught pitch it would appear to be a good design for wind). I really don't expect problems in rain (but probably in snow) or from bugs. I would expect that if it is set up low because of the weather that there will be condensation problems, but if you set it up high there should be no problem.

Weighing 14 ounces and packing smaller than a loaf of bread (eh, I've seen that phrase a few places now, but am not sure what else to compare the size to) with plenty of space inside I think I will be more than satisfied. I'll let you know once I have a chance to try it out in some weather.

I've been reluctant to move from a tarptent to a tarp, but this design finally convinced me to give it a try.

Now I just have to fork over the money for a lightweight sleeping bag (I'm looking at the arc alpinist) and my major lightweight expenditures will be over.

Footslogger
04-14-2007, 11:45
Got mine week before last and, like you, have only set it up in the yard so far ...no actual use while backpacking yet. Was very impressed with the air movement inside, even with the door flap zipped shut. The mesh at ground level combined with the apex vent seems to allow for excellent ventillation.

I'm 5'10" so for me there is loads of space inside. I was also quite pleased at the ease of set-up. The flyer included with the tent says that it might be a little tricky at first, but I followed the suggested steps and got and excellent pitch the first time.

Only thing I did so far was to cut some lenghts of Triptease line (instead of the black line included with the tent) and attach them to the tie out points. Easier to see both in daylight and at night. I also added a small lenth of line and a zipper pull to the front flap.

Haven't done it yet but the final touch will be to cut a piece of Tyvek to use as the floor under my sleeping bag.

Weighed mine before I set it up and, inclucing the small stuff sack, mine came in at 13 ounces (one ounce less than the advertised weight on Ron's website). Great having a shelter that's so easy to set up and with that much room for under a pound. Can't wait to get it out in the woods for a shake down under normal trail conditions.

'Slogger

toddhiker
04-14-2007, 18:03
So, at 6' 1" would I be too tall to really enjoy it?:confused:

SMD gear looks great & I've considered this tarp.

Thanks!

Skits
04-14-2007, 21:09
So, at 6' 1" would I be too tall to really enjoy it?:confused:

SMD gear looks great & I've considered this tarp.

Thanks!

I don't think 6'1" would be a problem at all. It really has a lot of space.

Maybe somebody really tall, like 6'5 or so would have some difficulty. My "girth" was more of a problem than my height. Getting in and out I had no problems at all (actually easier to get in and out of than a typical tent IMO), it was while I was moving around inside, organzing things (I brought my groundsheet, sleeping bag, pack, etc. in to test out the room) that I brushed the back a few times, but I'm guessing I would get used to the dimensions (it is just a different layout than I'm used to) and would have no real problems. Only one way to find out, though.

Skits
05-09-2007, 03:00
Picture of the Wild Oasis in action on the Upper Chena Dome trail near Fairbanks is here now: www.sixmoondesigns.com

Footslogger
05-09-2007, 09:14
Should have some pics of mine pretty soon. Roads up into the mountains surrounding Laramie are supposed to open soon, giving us access to the higher elevation trail heads. Plan on cutting a small piece of Tyvek to use as a ground cloth. Should add about 2 - 3 ounces to the total package. Really like the idea of my total shelter coming in at under a pound !!

'Slogger

Mags
05-09-2007, 11:04
Hey Skits! Nice to see I am not the only CDT 06 person hanging around! :)

Glad to see you like the Wild Oasis. Looks to be the Gatewood cape made into a full on shelter. I just purchased one myself! Hope to use it in Utah next weekend.

Good to "see" you again. Hope all is going well up in Alaska!

Skits
05-10-2007, 03:50
Hey Mags,

How's life in Boulder? Gotta any hiking plans for the future.
I'm planning on hitting the trail in Feb. and doing the "Quadre" (AT Nobo, CDT Sobo, Te Araroa, and PCT Nobo) over about a 17-month span. Now I'm busy working and trying to save up money.

Nightwalker
05-10-2007, 04:20
Hopefully it's not such a leaker as the Lunar Solo E. Bad design on that one has the pull of the stakes try to open the seams every time you set it up. I've sealed it three times so far, which is a bit much.

Mags
05-10-2007, 10:44
Hopefully it's not such a leaker as the Lunar Solo E. Bad design on that one has the pull of the stakes try to open the seams every time you set it up. I've sealed it three times so far, which is a bit much.

I used the Gatewood Cape (the direct inspiration for the wild oasis) and was extremely pleased with it as a shelter (less so as rain gear).

From what I wrote in a previous thread:

I LOVED the Gatewood Cape as my shelter on the CDT this past year.

Not only was it light, but it was SO easy to set up. Sometimes ease of setup is almost as important as weight.

It sheltered me in rain storms, snow storms, etc.

I plan on using it again for further solo adventures. It was for me an excellent solo shelter and one I do not hesitate to recommend. I am also only 5'6"; a 6ft+ person may find it cramped.

A pic of the shelter all set up. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14031)

A pic of me peaking out of the shelter one snowy day (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14331)
(Sly, you signed this pic! :) )

I did not like it as much for rain gear, but it is windier out west and more exposed. YMMV (I switched back to my Montbell UL Windpants and GoLite Wisp for a 5oz penalty)

The Wild Oasis on my scales measured just a smidge under 13 oz (with bug netting!). Throw in my Ti stakes (6) and ground cloth (Spinnaker fabric) and I am looking at sub-1lb shelter. Sweet!

Tobit
08-03-2007, 14:46
I've sent an email off to Ron to see if I will fit in a Wild Oasis. If I can, I think I am going to go this route instead of a plain tarp. However, I'm a big guy but my shoulder girth, and extra wide quilt as a result, worries me more than my 6'2" length. I'm eager to see what he has to say.

- Tobias

Tobit
08-03-2007, 15:05
Well, Ron confirms that I'd likely be cramped inside the Wild Oasis. It sure sucks being a big guy sometimes. Guess I'll go back to the old 8x10 tarp idea although I am waiting to hear from Henry Shires to see if he has floorless Contrails in stock. His website says no but his shopping cart says yes.

- Tobias

socalhiker
08-03-2007, 17:24
Tobias,

If you haven't seen a Meadows Tarp, you might take a look at it. It has some pretty significant room weighing only 17 oz. and quick to pitch. I don't have any pics available of mine but this link will take you to a fairly good reprentative of it:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4471/index.html?skip_to_post=31632