PDA

View Full Version : Rainbows 07

Franco
04-14-2007, 02:56
Due to popular demand, the 07 Rainbows will use zips instead of the standard hook and loop closure for the vestibules.The Rainbow also has 2 vents now. Because of backorders at the moment they cannot be ordered from the Tarptent web site, but you could always send an E Mail to [email protected] ([email protected]) to let them know you are interested.

Please avoid bombarding Henry with questions since he is very busy right now and I think he is keen to avoid taking firm orders for tents he does not have.
( A Big Sky for the Rainbows.....)

Expect some spare stock in May.
BTW this means that if you have a Rainbow or double Rainbow on order already, you will get the new version.
Franco

EWS
04-14-2007, 03:44
Ahh.... Now that has just made the shelter decision a bit more complex. It looks like I may end up with a TT product after all.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-14-2007, 04:52
Excellent move on Henry's part. The hook and loop closures are hard to mess with after a 3 AM visit to the privy in a downpour.

Smile
04-14-2007, 09:53
Good change, change is good! Will take a look at the new 'model', will you have photos up anytime with the change?

LostInSpace
04-14-2007, 17:21
Due to popular demand, the 07 Rainbows will use zips instead of the standard hook and loop closure for the vestibules.

Will the zippers be 1-way or 2-way?

Is there any plan to do the same for the Contrail?

Franco
04-14-2007, 18:27
All those questions are for Henry, I don't work for Tarptent , I just use their products and generally make a nuisance of myself with Mr Shires.
So far I have not even seen a picture of the new version but some DR have shipped out already.
Henry was planning to have some pics up in a couple of weeks but keep in mind there will be a few weeks delay on delivery.
I find the closure on the Contrail easier than the Rainbow so a zip would be welcomed by some but not that important to me.
Franco

Renee, have you considered the Shewee ?( http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product121.asp (http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product121.asp))

LostInSpace
04-14-2007, 23:49
Franco,

Thanks for the reply. I asked on the outside possibility that you might have some inside information. I did not want to bother Henry.

I have a variety of 3-season and 4-season tents. None of them have 2-way zippers on the rainfly, but I would find it convienient if they did. The 2-way zippers, at a minimum, provide ventilation and access flexibility.

The potential benefit on the Contrail may be less. However, the one-handed operation of a zipper is an asset. In the middle of the night, down zipping a zipper from the top with one hand to get more ventilation or doing the reverse to get less, seems to be a convenience.

Lost.

Franco
04-15-2007, 20:39
Hi Lost in space
Your are spatial.
Sorry, the zips on the new version are one way, from top to bottom. Because the vent at the apex of the tent is rather big, a two way zip may not have done much , more useful to have the bottom area undone to create the chimney effect and to retain rain protection at the top. Looking at the new design, I would guess that in most cases you could leave the zip half a way up and still remain dry inside.
No zips planned for the Contrail.
Franco

Big Dawg
04-16-2007, 09:01
Due to popular demand, the 07 Rainbows will use zips instead of the standard hook and loop closure for the vestibules.
Franco

Good news!!,,, just not for me,, since I already own a DR.:rolleyes: I was finishing a hike in Damascus recently and noticed a thru-hiker, Carefree, setting up his DR,,,,, w/ zippers on the doors. I said WHAT??!! In the past, I'd considered adding zippers to mine, along w/ a few other improvements. Now I think I will.

Franco
04-16-2007, 18:45
Yes Henry is a marketing genius. He has made three (at least) changes on the DR that will be very popular but does not want to tell anyone about it. A batch of the new DR has gone out already but looks like the owners are under a non disclosure agreement, so no pictures and no comments.

The real reason, again, is that Tarptent have backorders on them so there is not much point in promoting a product that they cannot readily supply. Henry promises to have some pics up of the new generation in a couple of weeks.
Franco

Franco
04-17-2007, 01:27
The preliminary reviews of the DR 07 are up at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/ (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/), start at Recent Reviews...
There you can see the three changes from the 06 version
Congratulation to Edward and Stephanie for the excellent pictures and extensive description.