PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel

Tin Man
04-14-2007, 08:59
Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel in Erwin, TN makes the news. Click here. (http://www.vbbeacon.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/04/12/461e5897e4b70)

prozac
04-14-2007, 09:28
Here we go again!

SGT Rock
04-14-2007, 09:38
I thought he might have closed or something since his place isn't listed in the companion. What gives?

Also, I thought that the rafting outfitters had a hostel in town too. I only see Ms Janet listed as a hostel though.

jlb2012
04-14-2007, 09:45
Rock - some of the more negative things that Johnny has done resulted in him being delisted from the Companion

DavidNH
04-14-2007, 09:52
Well, I must have missed some thread somewhere.

I stayed at this hostel on my 2006 hike and found it fine..complete with three free shuttles a day into town to eat. Small gear store for those needed extras. located Right on the AT. Accomadations where very basic but then at 13 or so for the bunk room what can ya expect?

So what did he do that got him de-listed? I am honestly unaware and just curious.

David

Groucho
04-14-2007, 10:12
Well, I must have missed some thread somewhere.

I stayed at this hostel on my 2006 hike and found it fine..complete with three free shuttles a day into town to eat. Small gear store for those needed extras. located Right on the AT. Accomadations where very basic but then at 13 or so for the bunk room what can ya expect?

So what did he do that got him de-listed? I am honestly unaware and just curious.

David

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=568&highlight=uncle+johnny

Search Uncle Johnny's for more.

superman
04-14-2007, 10:29
On our recent trip to Springer we stopped at many AT places, towns, road crossings on our way home to NH. We happened to have an old Companion and a new Companion and were wondering why a hostel so close to the AT would get dropped from the new one. There has got to be a juicy story about Uncle Johnnies transgressions?

Gray Blazer
04-14-2007, 10:36
Is this gonna become let's beat up the old white guy? Can anyone say nappy headed --? Will I be banned from WB for typing that? Doesn't HYOH stand for have your own --?

superman
04-14-2007, 10:41
I posted too soon.
Wow, to say that I am the 10% that doesn't get the word is like saying the Titanic stopped in the mid-Antlantic to dis-embark passengers and to take on ice.

bull
04-14-2007, 11:35
We met Uncle Johnny several weeks ago. My experience was positive. I needed a shuttle back to Indian Grave Gap to get my car keys from friends truck after realizing a couple miles from Chestoa I did not have them in my pocket. Uncle Johnny talked and joked with the 3 of us like old friends. He helped me out. Later, I stopped back in and bought the 2007 edition of the Companion. Noticed he was not listed. Did a search on here and read about the problems. I can recommend this place of business from my experience.
Mike

astrogirl
04-14-2007, 13:47
I've stayed at and been shuttled by Uncle Johnny's twice. I left a car there with no problem. I liked the facilities, the shuttler, all of it.

I've always found the place to be friendly and clean (including Johnny himself), though I have heard of problems there.

Jester2000
04-14-2007, 16:14
Doesn't HYOH stand for have your own --?

Halibut?

While I would disagree with the article's statement that "all" who stay there recommend it, it would be difficult to say the opposite as well. He's a businessman who, in my opinion, has made some good decisions and some terrible ones. That's about it.

Although I find it kind of amusing that the article seems to suggest that Uncle J points folks towards Miss Janet's when his place is full.

As for the companion, it may affect planning for some hikers, but since you literally cannot be on the trail and not pass his place, I doubt his not being listed affects his business overly.

docllamacoy
04-14-2007, 18:44
That article was just WAY too positive. Hmmm. Anybody have a counter-article? :D

Rain Man
04-14-2007, 20:47
My wife and I stopped in to see "Uncle Johnny's" last Saturday afternoon as we finished our section hike from Spivey Gap. I must say I was impressed with the re-supply selection. Uncle Johnny has stoves, sleeping bags, etc, etc, etc. That's good to know, as I don't know where else in Erwin to get hiking equipment if you were in need.

There were four thru-hikers in the hostel bunks, watching TV. Uncle Johnny was chatty and friendly. Though I've certainly heard of incidents of his being quite nasty to folks, we had no problem and saw no problem there.

Rain:sunMan

ShakeyLeggs
04-14-2007, 20:58
My wife and I stopped in to see "Uncle Johnny's" last Saturday afternoon as we finished our section hike from Spivey Gap. I must say I was impressed with the re-supply selection. Uncle Johnny has stoves, sleeping bags, etc, etc, etc. That's good to know, as I don't know where else in Erwin to get hiking equipment if you were in need.
Rain:sunMan

If in the event you or anyone forgos staying Uncle J's and decide to stay with Miss Janet she will shuttle you to Johnson City where there is a full fledged outfitter.

I personally will not stay at Uncle J's I came thru there back in 01 and was privy to much of what was going on back then. If he has cleaned up his act great if not oh well. From what I saw from the road it looked like a nice place but my experience left a bad taste in my mouth so I will never partake of his services. YMMV

eventidecu
04-14-2007, 21:53
That article was just WAY too positive. Hmmm. Anybody have a counter-article? :D

I don't think one exist. All you ever hear is negative "I heard" and "they said" stuff, not actual "facts" or situations by "first person" accounts. I don't know UJ nor ever have I stayed there but there seems to be nothing but "they say" crap. Most IMO coming from some of the AT "celebrity's" who seem to be "talking up" "their" friends who own competition business in the area.
I've heard UJ get's pissy when you stay with him and then use other competitors services in Lu of his. I would be pissed too if the competitor was "snaking" my customers and or undercutting me intentionally to hurt my business. I think his "rudeness" there is more directed at having the competition screwing around with him than at the hiker. Unless the hiker is trying to play him to get "a deal". Hikers up to that point I think have gotten "used" to a lot of "trail magic" free bee's or deals. I can understand him being "pissy" to someone who comes in wanting something for nothing. Of which probably 99 percent of whom will never been seen or heard from again.
Also I think that it's recognized that the businesses along the AT are VERY hostile and negative toward each other over business. And VERY possessive about customers.

I don't claim to know enough to pass judgment either way about UJ but from what I have read and researched he get's more positive first person feed back then negative. And I would lean toward the opinion that he probably hasn't been given a "fair" shake from some of the "trail celebrity's" that a lot of people seek out for "knowledge". ( guilt by association, or lack thereof ) And I would guess UJ probably doesn't care if your one of these "trail celebrity's" pimping off their status so they will talk up his business. He runs a business, maybe well or not very well but I'd bet he could repudiate most of the negative comments about him if he were present at the time it was made. There's ALWAYS two sides to any complaint. And speaking with experience of over 10 years in law enforcement and over 10 years in retail I can tell you that consumer complainants are 95 % of the time upset over nothing and try to "manufacture" an issue to hurt the businesses reputation and or just flat out wrong.
If someone disagree's and has something negetive to say about UJ please tell "your" account with him and if otherwise tell who and when and what. Not just "he treats people bad" stuff. I for one would like to know whats going on and might change my opinon if were told specifics but until then I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt and so should you.

eventidecu
04-14-2007, 22:03
If in the event you or anyone forgos staying Uncle J's and decide to stay with Miss Janet she will shuttle you to Johnson City where there is a full fledged outfitter.

I personally will not stay at Uncle J's I came thru there back in 01 and was privy to much of what was going on back then. If he has cleaned up his act great if not oh well. From what I saw from the road it looked like a nice place but my experience left a bad taste in my mouth so I will never partake of his services. YMMV

I don't want to start "defending" UJ but you say "from what I saw from the road" and then in the same sentance "but my experience left a bad taste in my mouth". What "experience" did you have concerning UJ from the road other than "it looked like a nice place"? See it's always the same verbage with no specifics. "I was privy to much of what was going on back then" What first hand knowledge were you "privy" to? What other people were saying, right?

eventidecu
04-14-2007, 22:07
And again the first thing said was pitching Mrs. Janet buisness then knocking UJ without any specifics. If you want to pitch Mrs. J then great she's cool but don't do it by knocking someone else without details. Just pitch Mrs. J.

ShakeyLeggs
04-14-2007, 22:14
I don't want to start "defending" UJ but you say "from what I saw from the road" and then in the same sentance "but my experience left a bad taste in my mouth". What "experience" did you have concerning UJ from the road other than "it looked like a nice place"? See it's always the same verbage with no specifics. "I was privy to much of what was going on back then" What first hand knowledge were you "privy" to? What other people were saying, right?

I was with Miss J in her van outside Uncle J's and witnessed one of his rants plus the legal issues that Miss Janet had to go thru because of his lies. Nuff said for me. If you want more anecdotal information please peruse this thread;
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=338&highlight=uncle+jonny
I did not go very far into the thread so there is prolly more there but just take a look at;

While I realize this thread has been running for awhile, I just came upon it and I must comment from my own personal experience May 29th at approximately 11-11:30 am. Here's the scenario:

I came out of the woods after 5 days from Hot Springs, where I had left the trail for Trail Days followed by my father-in-laws death in Pittsburgh. I was in need of a phone to call my husband and find out how things were after I left there, the funeral, etc. It had been a trying 5 days hiking alone, not many thru-hikers around me. I see U.J. place, I see a soda machine, I see a phone on a deck. I want to sample all of these. I also wanted to meet the man and make up my own mind, despite what I had been hearing last winter on the 'net. He came over immediately and introduced himself, and my first reaction was "car salesman, why is he trying to sell me on staying here?" I can smell a hard sell a mile away. And that's usually as far as I walk to leave one behind. Without going into the banter of back and forth, the name Miss Janet was brought up immediately, I told him I really didn't know what I was doing, where I was staying, or even IF I was staying in town. I had a mail drop and that was as much as I knew. All this is true, I really hadn't made up my mind how much of Erwin I was going to avail myself of. He approached me 3 times and when I wouldn't commit to "yes, I'll stay here and give you my first born" (sarcasm, sorry, can't help it) he YELLED at me, pointing a finger "if you want to support her illegal hostel, then get the hell off my porch".

I did. Crying. On the bridge, where a fellow thru-hiker found me. I did absolutely 100% nothing wrong, I hadn't called Miss Janet from "his" phone, nor was I going to. I'm not STUPID. I wanted a cold drink, a place to sit and a phone to call home. My indecision ratcheted up his mood, I could see him getting madder and madder. I threw my hands in the air and said "all I'm doing is hiking the Trail" NO ONE should ever be treated like this, for no ****ing reason. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it again. This was hands down, the WORST treatment I received on the Trail. This isn't hearsay, it happened to me. And by chance, Chris, you weren't the Chris there that day, Tom in the Woods spoke to you on the bridge and introduced me to you as you were trying out one of U.J.'s lightweight packs?? If so, surely you heard all of this. No one else on that porch came to my defense or even acted like this behavior was out of the ordinary. It was deplorable. I walked across the bridge and prepared myself to walk the 4 miles to town. Luckily 3 river guides pulled up and drove me in where I was welcomed with open arms, no questions asked. I never told her the story, but she heard about it and APOLOGIZED to me for his actions.

That's it, I'm done. You can read about it in my journal as well. He wasn't drunk, but if he's truly a generous person, then he's got one helluva split personality.

Bluebearee

SGT Rock
04-15-2007, 10:21
Rock - some of the more negative things that Johnny has done resulted in him being delisted from the Companion

Got it. I just wonder if this is something that will pass and be let go. People should be able to overcome problems if there is an effort made. I also think businesses for hikers should be listed. Just my opinion...

Now what about that whitewater rafting place. I could have sworn I saw a bunkhouse or hostel or something there too.

rafe
04-15-2007, 10:29
Now what about that whitewater rafting place. I could have sworn I saw a bunkhouse or hostel or something there too.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=352482#post352482

That photo was taken about 17 yrs ago. I have no idea if the place is still in business or what it looks like now.

Lilred
04-15-2007, 10:44
IMO coming from some of the AT "celebrity's" who seem to be "talking up" "their" friends who own competition business in the area.

And I would lean toward the opinion that he probably hasn't been given a "fair" shake from some of the "trail celebrity's" that a lot of people seek out for "knowledge". ( guilt by association, or lack thereof ) And I would guess UJ probably doesn't care if your one of these "trail celebrity's" pimping off their status so they will talk up his business.

I for one would like to know whats going on and might change my opinon if were told specifics but until then I'm going to give him the benifit of the doubt and so should you.

Eventide,
first, I am assuming you're fairly new here considering the number of posts you've made. I started coming to WB in '03 when I first got into hiking. The fight was in full swing by then. Everything I heard was second hand info, but mostly from people who knew what was going on. I'm not sure I like the sarcastic tone you have when it comes to 'trail celebrities' imparting their 'knowledge'.
These 'celebrities', as you put it, got that way because of their experience, helpfullness, and reliability. IF they didn't have these qualities, then people wouldn't continue to seek them out for their knowledge year after year.
So, back in '03, when I heard the same things from several of these reliable sources, I decided I didn't want to give my business to him. I'm sure there are thousands of people that stay with him every year and have positive experiences. But, I formed my opinion, about this and many other things, on the word of reliable sources. It's not that I think I'll be treated badly by him, I'd probably have a good experience too. Let's just say I don't like his politics and I tend to put my money where my mouth is.

Why he is not listed anymore, may be just for that reason. The hiking community wasn't happy with his politics, so the writers of the book decided to blackball him for it. Or maybe he just doesn't want to be listed. He certainly doesn't need to be.

Skyline
04-15-2007, 11:00
To summarize:

Johnny's opened 10 years ago and served its target audience well.

Several years later Johnny himself got burned out and showed his temper toward a few too many hikers--some who may have earned it but more who may not have.

A couple or three years ago a new and improved Uncle Johnny's emerged and serves most folks in its target audience well.

There is room in Erwin for more than one hostel. Miss Janet's is legendary for its superb treatment of hikers. How she has maintained her cool over the years is proof of her good soul.

Adding UJ's to the mix, after it turned over a new leaf, simply means there are two good hostels in Erwin--very different in location, character, offerings--to choose from. At some point, assuming UJ continues to treat hikers well, his hostel should probably be re-listed in the Companion.

SGT Rock
04-15-2007, 11:02
To summarize:

Several years later Johnny himself got burned out and showed his temper toward a few too many hikers--some who may have earned it but more who may not have.

A couple or three years ago a new and improved Uncle Johnny's emerged and serves most folks in its target audience well.

There is room in Erwin for more than one hostel. Miss Janet's is legendary for its superb treatment of hikers. How she has maintained her cool over the years is proof of her good soul.

Adding UJ's to the mix, after it turned over a new leaf, simply means there are two good hostels in Erwin--very different in location, character, offerings--to choose from. At some point, assuming UJ continues to treat hikers well, should probably be re-listed in the Companion.

Damn well put.

BTW, I love Ms Janets.

Fannypack
04-15-2007, 11:21
...... Why he is not listed anymore, may be just for that reason. The hiking community wasn't happy with his politics, so the writers of the book decided to blackball him for it. Or maybe he just doesn't want to be listed. He certainly doesn't need to be.
i hear a lot of persons say UJ's is not listed in the Companion, does anybody know why? not why u think he isn't listed but the reason given by Aldha that he isn't listed...

Not trying to pour gas on this fire but I am curious about the facts, actually the fact of why UJ's is not in the Companion..

Thx....

ShakeyLeggs
04-15-2007, 12:17
I am going to give you all a quote from Miss Janet from back in Feb 04 which I still feel is still very pertinent to our current discussion. Also it sums up what i feel about the whole situation as well. And Skyline great post my feelings as well.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!
I would give 1,000,000 $$ (of my future lottery winnings!) if we could just have 1 year of peace!!! I have heard my name mentioned in conjuntion with UJ's so many times I know some people think we were a COUPLE! Please, lets give it a rest this year!

I love having hikers stay with me but there are more of you than I can handle when it is very busy. I would love to have a HOTEL for about 6 weeks every year but ... He has a great location and I know many people have great stays there. But after helping at his place for years I knew that some hikers wanted to be in town. I simply provide an alternative. Just know that if you stay at his place you are very welcome to come into town and visit us and I hope you do.

All of this negative stuff every year goes against everything I believe in. The saddest thing I ever heard was a sobo kid who said he first heard about all of this way back in the 100 mile wilderness!!! So, please, help me find ways to stop all of this this year? Please?

eventidecu
04-15-2007, 14:03
[quote=Skyline;352752]To summarize:

Adding UJ's to the mix, after it turned over a new leaf, simply means there are two good hostels in Erwin--very different in location, character, offerings--to choose from. At some point, assuming UJ continues to treat hikers well, his hostel should probably be re-listed in the Companion.[/quote

I agree, dam well put, and I love Ms. Janet's too.

No I wasn't around when apparently the "UJ" issue was debated years ago and my point isn't to "defend him" or his business practices, but I've listened and heard a lot of negative "blah blah blah" over Uncle J's but it's just about always been from the safety of an "opinion" stand point rather than "this is what happened to me" or "I saw". Perception IS reality for most folks and I have seen good folk's lose everything they have worked for because of "rumors" which is what seems to be most of what I hear about UJ. I don't know anything about him really but I'm not the type of person to sit by and watch someone "push" an agenda of negative perception on someone (to this degree), which causes actual HARM to them, without questioning specifics. I don't know he may be Attila the Hun himself I just want to hear some specific experiences before I "get talked into" NOT doing business with someone, by "second hand info", again no specifics, "from people who knew whats going on" (again the perception they did, but again it could mean "they just heard it too"), as Lilred states, but is now AT LEAST third hand info to me. But now I can tell someone whom is in my confidence who now wont due biz with UJ, blah blah blah. Which is exactly my point. I don't care if the man ever see's another customer again "he's" not my issue. Nor do I know anything about what issues he's caused Ms. J. or anyone else BUT I would like to know before you try to "talk" me into not doing business with someone because your supposed to be in the know. That's politics which is what I want to make sure is not going on before I buy into or talk negative about a business, which is what were talking about. If your going to take the time to steer me away from a biz then give specifics other than expect me to arbitrarily take your word for it, again because "your supposed to be in the know" because your a "trail celebrity" or a {"whiteblaze celebrity" with a zillion post. ref to Lilred's post, assuming I "was new" due to the number of post I had which I think was a lead into I didn't know what I was talking about or had the right to chime in} Those with the most experience can still have biases for or against those who went above and beyond for "them" or more probably the bias is because someone didn't when "they" expected them to.

Some people are not just "recommending" another service up there they are "bashing" UJ and to that I say your obligated to give specifics. You may be and are probably totally justified in doing so, theres a lot of us that are not "personally" aware of specifics as they pertain to UJ. There are more than one post on this thread asking "why". I agree it might not be worth rehashing everything about him just give some first hand examples thats all.

And again Thanks Skyline, for not attacking me and explaining some of what the issue is, well put. Can someone give a few examples of what was going on other than he got pissy with a few customers or just being territorial with customers. Heck hasn't everyone whom is in biz that deals with "people"?

ShakeyLeggs
04-15-2007, 14:22
And again Thanks Skyline, for not attacking me and explaining some of what the issue is, well put. Can someone give a few examples of what was going on other than he got pissy with a few customers or just being territorial with customers. Heck hasn't everyone whom is in biz that deals with "people"?

I was with Miss J in her van outside Uncle J's and witnessed one of his rants plus the legal issues that Miss Janet had to go thru because of his lies. Nuff said for me. If you want more anecdotal information please peruse this thread;
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=338&highlight=uncle+jonny
I did not go very far into the thread so there is prolly more there but just take a look at;

While I realize this thread has been running for awhile, I just came upon it and I must comment from my own personal experience May 29th at approximately 11-11:30 am. Here's the scenario:

I came out of the woods after 5 days from Hot Springs, where I had left the trail for Trail Days followed by my father-in-laws death in Pittsburgh. I was in need of a phone to call my husband and find out how things were after I left there, the funeral, etc. It had been a trying 5 days hiking alone, not many thru-hikers around me. I see U.J. place, I see a soda machine, I see a phone on a deck. I want to sample all of these. I also wanted to meet the man and make up my own mind, despite what I had been hearing last winter on the 'net. He came over immediately and introduced himself, and my first reaction was "car salesman, why is he trying to sell me on staying here?" I can smell a hard sell a mile away. And that's usually as far as I walk to leave one behind. Without going into the banter of back and forth, the name Miss Janet was brought up immediately, I told him I really didn't know what I was doing, where I was staying, or even IF I was staying in town. I had a mail drop and that was as much as I knew. All this is true, I really hadn't made up my mind how much of Erwin I was going to avail myself of. He approached me 3 times and when I wouldn't commit to "yes, I'll stay here and give you my first born" (sarcasm, sorry, can't help it) he YELLED at me, pointing a finger "if you want to support her illegal hostel, then get the hell off my porch".

I did. Crying. On the bridge, where a fellow thru-hiker found me. I did absolutely 100% nothing wrong, I hadn't called Miss Janet from "his" phone, nor was I going to. I'm not STUPID. I wanted a cold drink, a place to sit and a phone to call home. My indecision ratcheted up his mood, I could see him getting madder and madder. I threw my hands in the air and said "all I'm doing is hiking the Trail" NO ONE should ever be treated like this, for no ****ing reason. I'm getting pissed just thinking about it again. This was hands down, the WORST treatment I received on the Trail. This isn't hearsay, it happened to me. And by chance, Chris, you weren't the Chris there that day, Tom in the Woods spoke to you on the bridge and introduced me to you as you were trying out one of U.J.'s lightweight packs?? If so, surely you heard all of this. No one else on that porch came to my defense or even acted like this behavior was out of the ordinary. It was deplorable. I walked across the bridge and prepared myself to walk the 4 miles to town. Luckily 3 river guides pulled up and drove me in where I was welcomed with open arms, no questions asked. I never told her the story, but she heard about it and APOLOGIZED to me for his actions.

That's it, I'm done. You can read about it in my journal as well. He wasn't drunk, but if he's truly a generous person, then he's got one helluva split personality.

Bluebearee

I had already posted a link to some anecdotal information. There are good and bad in the thread that I referenced. I Hope this is what you were looking for and helps everyone make an informed decision.

weary
04-15-2007, 15:40
I thought he might have closed or something since his place isn't listed in the companion. What gives?

Also, I thought that the rafting outfitters had a hostel in town too. I only see Ms Janet listed as a hostel though.
Wingfoot's Thru-Hikers Handbook lists all three places -- or did in 2003, which is latest version I have. I know he still lists Uncle Johnny's and Miss Janet, from the chatter I read on Trailplace. I assume he also still lists the campground and hostel on the river.

The latter was the only one of the three that was open when I walked through in 1993. I remember it in particular, because I got interested in a book on the personalities and negotiations that lead to the constitution and stayed on an extra day to finish the 1,000 plus pages.

Weary

Lilred
04-15-2007, 16:55
[QUOTE Some people are not just "recommending" another service up there they are "bashing" UJ and to that I say your obligated to give specifics. You may be and are probably totally justified in doing so, theres a lot of us that are not "personally" aware of specifics as they pertain to UJ. There are more than one post on this thread asking "why". I agree it might not be worth rehashing everything about him just give some first hand examples thats all.

And again Thanks Skyline, for not attacking me and explaining some of what the issue is, well put. Can someone give a few examples of what was going on other than he got pissy with a few customers or just being territorial with customers. Heck hasn't everyone whom is in biz that deals with "people"?[/QUOTE]

Eventidecu
I doubt anyone wants to give you specifics on this public forum. It's a dead issue, years old. No one that I know of wants to get into details. I doubt anyone cares where you stay. I'd be very surprised if anyone came on here and went into specifics as you have requested.

Nightwalker
04-15-2007, 20:26
These 'celebrities', as you put it, got that way because of their experience, helpfulness, and reliability.

Now that's almost funny...

Jester2000
04-16-2007, 17:53
Can I be the Paris Hilton of "Trail Celebrities?"

Fannypack
04-16-2007, 18:44
Jester, i don't believe your @$$ is skinny enuff .............

Topcat
04-16-2007, 19:33
jester, how do you look through a nightvision video camera???

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 19:33
Jester, do you have a cat ;)

Tin Man
04-16-2007, 21:00
Dang! When I posted the news article I had no idea what I was starting...seriously. Next time I will have to check the history and think twice. :-? :-? Although somewhere in this mess I learned Ms. Janet delivers! :cool:

Lugnut
04-16-2007, 22:06

Sure. Take off your skivies. :banana

prozac
04-16-2007, 22:09
Not to prolong this thread which deserves to die a quick death but the whole point of Whiteblaze is for the experienced to impart wisdom and knowledge to the uninformed. I agree that any posters should cite specifics when reviewing a hostel, restaurant or a piece of gear for that matter. That being said, I want to hear the negatives every bit as much as the positives. If UJ is not listed its because he probably had an overwhelming amount of negative feedback. Hopefully he has seen the error of his ways and changed. All the better. I remember Bluebearee's post from when it was first posted and was appalled. Made up my mind right then and there he would never see a dime of my money. As Miss Janet said, their's more than enough room for two hostels. She has handled this situation with beaucoup class IMHO.
As for "trail celebrities" making recommendations, big deal. No one should base their decision on one person's opinion anyway. But when people who have 15,000 plus miles on the trail state an opinion, it should definately at least be a consideration. When multiple people voice the same opinion, good or bad, then its just foolish to disregard this advice. If twenty posters bad mouthed a certain tent would you still buy it? I would like to thank one "Trail Celebrity" for his Re-supply Article. TYTYTY. Peace out, Prozac