PDA

View Full Version : Mileage question

Phreak
04-14-2007, 17:35
Hey everyone!
Can anyone tell me the approximate mileage from Katahdin Stream Campground to the top of Mt. Katahdin? And what is the distance from the top of Mt. Katahdin to the Baxter State Park boundary? I'm hoping to only spend one night inside the park, get up the first day and hike to the top of Katahdin and then head out of the park and camp outside of the park boundary. Any help is greatly appreicated!

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2007, 17:46
5.2 miles, 10.4 round trip, and about 9 miles out to the boundry.
Start your climb before first light, and it can be done.
I don't recommend it, though.

edit: just sent you a PM

PJ 2005
04-14-2007, 21:20
It took my parents (not in great hiking shape) 5 hours to get up, 3 to get down.

warraghiyagey
04-15-2007, 04:17
5.2 miles, 10.4 round trip, and about 9 miles out to the boundry.
Start your climb before first light, and it can be done.
I don't recommend it though. . .

I also thought I was going to make it out Baxter on the same day as my climb. Do yourself a favor. Enjoy the experience of your time on the mountain in front of Katahdin Stream and head south the next day. It's another 3 miles to Hurd Brook Lean-to after you get to Abol Bridge. A 23 mile day is alot without a 4,200' climb.
Peace

SOBO7

hammock engineer
04-15-2007, 12:27
I was thinking like you are in what is the big deal. Then I got my ATC map set and looked at the elevation profile. One look at that and I understand what everyone is talking about. Up and down day 1 for me and starting south day 2 for me.