PDA

View Full Version : How to carry water?

campbell
04-14-2007, 18:59
I understand the 2 liters of water is a sufficient amount to carry at any one time from Springer to Hot Springs. But I am not certain how hikers store this water while hiking. Do they keep it in their pack and remove the pack each time to take a drink or is one of the liters carried on some type of a holster attached to the garment/pack belt? What appears to be common practice? I have a G.G Vapor Trail pack and it does not appear to be water bottle friendly in regards to easy access.

Thanks

Programbo
04-14-2007, 19:17
How to carry water????..Is this what it`s come to?...I miss 1977 :( ....I`d just fill my 1 1/2 quart square Mirro water bottles (with the stopper attached and the screw on top) and they`d fit perfectly in the top side pockets of my Tioga...Then when I got thirsty I`d firgure that`s a good time to stop and take a breather and I`d remove my pack dig out the water bottle and as I drank the cool clear untreated spring water I`d say..It`s a great day to be alive and be on the AT..Then restore the water bottle..Put my pack back on and head on up the trail...Ah,but we were simple folk back then and didn`t know any better :p

I shall now step aside and allow the modern hikers to explain how it`s done today..I think it involves assimilation and feeding tubes and such :)

Alligator
04-14-2007, 19:25
The pouch on the inside of your Vapor Trail is designed to hold a hydration system. (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13446&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) There's an exit port for the hose near/above the shoulder straps. Those outside pockets on the VT don't make quite so easy access.

Some folks use bottles, which often go in the water bottle holders of many packs. Sometimes folks rig their water bottles up front or other places. It's personal preference really.

Peaks
04-14-2007, 19:25
Simple answer. Some people still carry water in bottles, like Nalgene, and others use Camel-Back or similiar products.

ShakeyLeggs
04-14-2007, 19:27
Well from an oldtimer (sorta) I will let you in on the brandspankin modern new way of water carrying. What allot of us now do is our packs have built in hydration pockets. Which hold a bladder with a hose attached that runs out of the pack over the shoulder and hangs in front of us. When we want a drink we just shove the end of the hose in our mouths and suck. Also if there is a stretch where water will not be available some of us carry a, usually 1qt bottle full in a pocket either on our hip belt or pack pocket. YMMV

sliderule
04-14-2007, 20:24
Ah,but we were simple folk back then and didn`t know any better :p

How did we do it? No "hydration" hoses, no titanium pots & pans, no Leki poles, no polyester wicking garments. And we could not even spell Goretex. Polartec or Thermarest.

Gaiter
04-14-2007, 20:46
i have a 3 liter platypus, and i carry a 1 liter that i keep rolled up for incase i need to carry a little more or for mixing up a flavor packet (koolaid, tang, crystal light, etc) Platy's are cheap and light. the only thing i don't like about what i use is that the 1 liter is its narrow mouth, thinking about switching to nalgene 1 liter w/ a wide mouth.

camojack
04-14-2007, 20:49
I understand the 2 liters of water is a sufficient amount to carry at any one time from Springer to Hot Springs. But I am not certain how hikers store this water while hiking. Do they keep it in their pack and remove the pack each time to take a drink or is one of the liters carried on some type of a holster attached to the garment/pack belt? What appears to be common practice? I have a G.G Vapor Trail pack and it does not appear to be water bottle friendly in regards to easy access.

Thanks

As others have mentioned...hydration systems with hoses work well, and they can be supplemented with Nalgene bottles, et al. :banana

Footslogger
04-14-2007, 20:53
I carry the Vapor Trail pack but do not use the internal hydration sleeve. Don't like having to dig it out for refilling.

I use a 1.8 Liter Platypus and lay it horizontally across the pack and wrap the storm collar around it, allowing the drink tube to pass over my right shoulder.

On my left shoulder strap I carry a 20 oz Gatorade bottle, which I sometimes fill with Gatorade, Tang or just water.

That system served me well all the way from Springer to Katahdin in 2003.

I also carry a 4 Liter Platypus (empty) that I use for gathering water at nigt in my campsite.

'Slogger

PJ 2005
04-14-2007, 21:14
Personally, I hate hydration systems. They're a pain to fill, can't be used for hot chocolate/kool aid (without side effects), the hose freezes, and they're heavy. Not to mention they can break and leak everywhere.

Two gatorade bottles is the simple solution. I have a vapor trail as well and balance a full water bottle on one side with my tent on the other (in the pockets). One liter at a time was sufficient for me - why carry a full day's supply of water when there are so many streams along the way? If you stay hydrated like you should, you won't care if water isn't a bite valve away.

JMO... I know a lot of people swear by hydration systems, but it's never worked that well for me. My passion runs deep for gatorade bottles ;)

Grinder
04-14-2007, 21:19
Brian (TBACK) from Tampa, showed me how to use a Gatoraid Rain container and a little bungee strap to fasten a 1 litre to the front of my pack strap.

You have to sew a loop to the strap for the bungee to go through.This allows carrying two litres on the two straps.

I have just added a pocket to the rear face of my pack. It includes a strap to hang a hydration bladder inside the pocket.

So, I can carry up to 4 liters. Look out Sassafras Mountain!! The one place where they say you may need more than 2 liters.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Lance
04-15-2007, 02:08
I use a variety of bottles (Platypus bladders, Nalgene, Gatorade, 1/2L 'Avion') in the side pockets of my GG Vapor Trail. You can easily fit one liter in each side pocket. Two liters will fit depending on the vessel but, for me, it can mess with weight distribution. Temporarily loosening your shoulder straps lowers the pack and makes accessing water bottles on-the-go easier. I tried a drinking tube but never got used to it. Good Luck!

Pokey2006
04-15-2007, 02:48
I have a VT, too, and I dislike hydration bladders. Like you, I quickly realized the pack was not designed for water bottle users at all. So I got one of those velcro bottle holders, and attached it to my hip belt. It cost me $10, my only Neel's Gap gear purchase.

One bottle holder was enough for Springer to Hot Springs. Later, in Virginia in the summer, I added one more, so I had two bottles of water ready to go at any time. Then, I had a Platypus for gathering water while in camp. The system worked for me.

Mr. Clean
04-15-2007, 04:06
Velcro bottle holder on the hip belt, like Pokey.

oldfivetango
04-15-2007, 07:47
Personally, I hate hydration systems. They're a pain to fill, can't be used for hot chocolate/kool aid (without side effects), the hose freezes, and they're heavy. Not to mention they can break and leak everywhere.

Two gatorade bottles is the simple solution. I have a vapor trail as well and balance a full water bottle on one side with my tent on the other (in the pockets). One liter at a time was sufficient for me - why carry a full day's supply of water when there are so many streams along the way? If you stay hydrated like you should, you won't care if water isn't a bite valve away.

JMO... I know a lot of people swear by hydration systems, but it's never worked that well for me. My passion runs deep for gatorade bottles ;)

I would like to add that despite my best efforts I have had all sorts of
microbial growth of "gunk" in my bladder system so now I just "hit the bottle".
Oldfivetango

Lyle
04-15-2007, 08:06
As an old timer (relative) who started in the days of Nalgene and frame packs, I now vote for a Platypus hydration system with a gatorade bottle when supplemental capacity is needed.

Just like most all of the equipment, advances and improvements have been made in water systems. Not that you cannot still successfully hike with the old, but I found it is much more enjoyable and easier if you choose to take advantage of the improvements available accross the board.

There are drawbacks to a hydration systems as noted above, but there are also advantages when the conditions are right, which is most of the conventional three seasons. I love being able to sip water while climbing or when I feel overheated. Plus the body is more efficient at using the water when it comes in small sips instead of big gulps.

Comes down to personal choice, but you won't know which you prefer, until you try them all. For me, "It's best because I've always done it this way" doesn't cut it.

rafe
04-15-2007, 10:16
I never quite understood the need for "hydration systems" or the need to be able to sip water while hiking. But then, I take lots of breaks, and I take my pack off if the break is going to be longer than a couple of minutes.

Lion King
04-15-2007, 10:53
gatroade bottles work great.
Light, they can hold cold and hot stuff---not TOO hot, but they do work with coffee.
hydration systems leak, or lose the caps, or get clogged, or puncture...Ive seen that allk a million times.
I do like the MSR Dromedary Water Bag. I used it on th epCT, but seldom on the At do you need to carry 6 liters of water at once.

Go gatorade, they do the job and you can get a different bottle each town for $1.79 with a new flavor.

Patrickjd9
04-15-2007, 15:06
Reused one liter soda or water bottles, sometimes a Nalgene bottle. I am a prodigious water drinker and will consume 4-5 liters on a hot day.

tokin
04-15-2007, 15:24
I never quite understood the need for "hydration systems" or the need to be able to sip water while hiking. But then, I take lots of breaks, and I take my pack off if the break is going to be longer than a couple of minutes.

I agree whole-heartedly. With a hydration system, it is also easy to not know when you are running out of water unless you open up your pack to check. I am a big fan of taking a break every so often, taking off the pack, and using that time to pull out the water bottle. It gives me an opportunity to check out every view I want while I replenish the fluids.

Jimmers
04-15-2007, 15:39
Hydration systems are great for keeping water cool in a hot environment. Nothing worse than taking a break and downing a swallow of hot water. (except maybe having no water) Not exactly refreshing. But as far as the AT, Gatorade bottles are the best. They're durable enough to stash inside your pack too, if case you want your second bottle to be cool.

Appalachian Tater
04-15-2007, 15:52
A 2 l Platypus or similar works great so you can sip while you're walking. After a while you know when you're getting low on water. I like to have a 1 l soda bottle for mixing lemonade, and it acts as a back-up for water when camping or if there's a long dry stretch coming up. You can keep a few ounces in the back-up bottle if you're worried about running out in your main reservoir, sort-of like having a reserve on your gas gauge below empty.

Sometimes you may not want to carry a full 2 liters depending on the temperature, terrain, and frequency of reliable water sources. But it's alway's best to have a little extra than not enough. If you spill or leak water, which can happen, it's nice to have a little extra then, too, if it's not readily available.

On the other hand, you may not want to sip while you're walking, or keep small bottles where you can reach them. As long as you stay well hydrated, it doesn't matter.

Long Stride
12-31-2007, 13:58
I found a real simple inexpensive water bottle holder called the AQUACLIP for only $3.00, price included shipping, and it works great on backpacking trips. The Aquaclip snaps on the water bottle neck then clips to your belt, pocket, or waistband like a canteen. I like to clip my spare bottle of water where its more accessible to reach while hiking, and this neat little bottle holder allows me to do that. Another great thing about the Aquaclip is that its made in USA.

chezrad
12-31-2007, 14:11
It's interesting that I stumbled on this thread today. :-? I just finished an article about making front water carriers because I wasn't happy with hydration systems.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31150

This was my solution to this problem. :sun

Hurley
12-31-2007, 14:20
2 gatorade bottles and a nalgene to put hot stuff in. I personally like carrying water inside me though.

Long Stride
01-01-2008, 11:28
The Aquaclip can be purchased at www.aquaclip.com (http://www.aquaclip.com). This little bottle holder is durable, versatile and simple to use. An easy light weight solution to carry your water bottle.

Tinker
01-01-2008, 14:45
I've used Nalgene, Gatorade bottles, and hydration bladders. Most folks talk about the convenience of hydration bladders, but you have to take your pack off to refill them. If you use chemical purification, it can be a hassle. Recently I decided to try something I've seen ultralighters do: put a couple of loops of shock cord at chest level on one of your shoulder straps, opposite the hand that you use (left for a righty like me). With a couple of cord locks. You can get at a 16-20 oz. soda bottle without breaking stride, and remove it for a refill in seconds. In the summer, when you need to drink more, you might want to carry extra water in a hard bottle or bladder in your pack as well, or just to have treated water with you when you pull into camp so you can start rehydrating your food right away. I'll always carry an extra container "just in case", and recently it's been a Nalgene Cantene (soft sided bottle with a wide mouth which fits on my First Need filter). I'm toying with the idea of going with another filter or chemical treatment to lighten up a bit more. I probably would go that way if I could get the time to thruhike.

Newb
01-01-2008, 21:53
I put a plastic bag over a bush at nightfall and in the morning use Aspiration to harvest the fluids from the plant.

Oh, sorry,...wrong thread. I'm stuck in the Air Force survival manual...

scavenger
01-01-2008, 23:01
I found a real simple inexpensive water bottle holder called the AQUACLIP for only $3.00, price included shipping,

The Aquaclip can be purchased at

Found? its obvious that youre "Brian Cizek" the maker of this item. Plugging your product and pretending to be a happy customer is pretty dumb and just plain annoying.

faarside
01-02-2008, 00:45
Simple answer. Some people still carry water in bottles, like Nalgene, and others use Camel-Back or similiar products.

Precisely... Ditto... This is really not rocket science.

Tennessee Viking
01-02-2008, 01:08
The most common water storage is using a water bladder. Some hikers carry two bladders, or a thermos or water bottle.

If your pack is not setup to be bladder friendly, you want to pack it either at the bottom (only if you pack light), or top (for heavy), and just run the line through the zipper.

If you are a fan of chemical treating, you want to have your drinking water ready to go. Then have your backup water treated overnight or while hiking.

River Runner
01-02-2008, 01:15
I like to sip water frequently, so I like a hydration bladder setup. I use a 2 L platypus. I also carry another container which varies from a 1 L platypus to a Gatoraide bottle (sometimes both if it is a long way between sources). Lately I've found I like the Gatoraide bottle because I can mix up an energy drink for drinking during breaks.

I just check the bladder a couple of times during the day when I take a break, and refill if needed. This has worked well for me.

take-a-knee
01-02-2008, 01:20
With your Granite Gear Vapor Trail you have lots of options. The bladder pocket inside the pack holds a 70oz Platypus (just make sure your dry goods are inside a pack liner). You can also carry a 70oz bladder between the framesheet and the pack, this is my preference. I always have both, though they are both not always filled. You can also carry those long 24 oz Gatorade bottles, or a 16oz Nalgene, in those elastic side pockets on the pack.

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2008, 01:30
Not for hiking, but great at camp.
It's great to have a "Water tank", sold by Platypus, when at camp fill it up and you won't have to make another trip to that water source that's 0.5 mile down a DEEP HOLE. I got a 210 oz tank and only make one trip and always have water to spill/lend out when I leave camp. They fold up to nothing when empty, so it takes no space up in your pack.

88BlueGT
01-02-2008, 03:08
I have always just used 1.5L water bottles from WaWa (convience store, if you are on the east coast you prob know what Im talking about). They are definetly not durable though so I just be careful with them. I got two 1L Nalgenes for Christmas but was kind of depressed when I weighed them and they came in at 5.9oz's a piece :( For my thru hike next year I am considering using a 2L bladder with a 1L Nalgene to keep for cooking, etc. Honestly, I have never used a bladder and dont see myself liking them all that much but I also do not want to have to carry three 1L bottles. It would just be too heavy and most importantly too bulky.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 08:07
Found? its obvious that youre "Brian Cizek" the maker of this item. Plugging your product and pretending to be a happy customer is pretty dumb and just plain annoying.

If Long Stride is a principal party, plugging the product without identifying himself as such is certainly a bit disingenuous, and perhaps a TOS issue.

oldfivetango
01-02-2008, 08:20
Now that I own a LuxuryLite with the nerdy front pack
all I have to do is pull the bottle out and drink.I have a
squarish bottle that grapefruit juice came in and a couple of
regular water bottles that fit nicely in it.

No more NASTY hydration hoses for this old boy.:D
Oldfivetango

Appalachian Tater
01-02-2008, 08:36
Hydration bladders and hoses stay nice and clean if you flush them with bleach solution occasionally. I've seen some pretty moldy nalgenes and Gatorade bottles.

Kirby
01-02-2008, 09:28
I have found that, when I have a full pack, it is difficult to get my watter bladder out of its holding sack, and eponentially harder to put it back in without taking out half my pack.

Kirby

Cindy from Indy
01-02-2008, 09:45
:-? I heard recently that Nalgene water bottles, when used for an extended period of time, secrete some sort of substance, ie. growth hormone or something like that. Which would be, consequently, very bad for a person's health.

Anyone else hear about this?? Or is this one of those 'urban legends'????

dessertrat
01-02-2008, 09:54
Why not use a steel military canteen that clips to your belt?

horicon
01-02-2008, 12:33
In a plastic bottle????

rafe
01-02-2008, 12:44
In my earlier post in this thread (Msg #17) I pooh-poohed hydration systems. I'd like to retract that. I've done a 180 on this matter. I used a platy on this year's section hike, and now I'm sold. I was concerned about the ruggedness, but the platy held up well.

I've even reversed my original rationale. It's nice to be able to sip without stopping. Breaks are good, and I still take lots of them... but it's no longer necessary to take a break in order to take water. The two activities -- taking a break, and hydration -- don't need to happen at the sime time.

There's one downside, mostly just a nuisance... and that is, keeping the end of the hydration tube off the ground. Just something you have to think about when taking off the pack, and putting it back on. The other downside (as has been mentioned) is estimating how much water remains in the platy.

CoyoteWhips
01-02-2008, 12:56
It does kind of bring up the question when you see a pack that's not set up for a bladder or with side pockets for water bottles.

I'm not fond of things that clip to belts. I'm usually hiking with drawstring pants and hanging water bottles would just be trying to yank them down while I walk.

Hooch
01-02-2008, 13:14
I would like to add that despite my best efforts I have had all sorts of
microbial growth of "gunk" in my bladder system so now I just "hit the bottle".
OldfivetangoEasy solution to this, really, I promise. After washing the bladder and hanging it to dry, roll it up, wrap it with a rubber band and stuff it in your freezer. The cold environment of your freezer doesn't allow bacteria the environment that it likes to flourish (warm, dark, moist), so you don't have to worry about it. That's where mine stays when it's not in use and I've had no problems with it yet. As far as hydration and carrying water goes, I use an MSR Cloudliner (http://www.msrcorp.com/hydration/cloudliner.asp), 2 liter size and it works just fine for my use. I also carry a Nalgene 3 liter flexible cantene (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=86) to have water for the night's dinner, washing up, breakfast, etc. I know there are those here who would argue for the simpler methed, but that's what works for me. :D

Alligator
01-02-2008, 14:16
There's one downside, mostly just a nuisance... and that is, keeping the end of the hydration tube off the ground. Just something you have to think about when taking off the pack, and putting it back on. The other downside (as has been mentioned) is estimating how much water remains in the platy.Every once in a while my platy will bend and I can't get the water out without adjusting. I found that if I flipped it so that the tube exit was on the bottom, this never happens. It has the added benefit of shortening the tube length. Also, I think Camelback or Platypus makes a clip that goes on the shoulder harness. I get a lot less dirt on the mouthpiece now.

Hooch
01-02-2008, 14:30
Every once in a while my platy will bend and I can't get the water out without adjusting. I found that if I flipped it so that the tube exit was on the bottom, this never happens. It has the added benefit of shortening the tube length. Also, I think Camelback or Platypus makes a clip that goes on the shoulder harness. I get a lot less dirt on the mouthpiece now.My MSR came with one of those clips. Makes it a lot easier to keep out of the dirt. If you don't have one or can't find one, I've seen people use the standard retractable name badge/ID holders (http://www.mygaragestuff.com/images/id-badge-holder.jpg) in lieu of the clips that come with it. :D

rafe
01-02-2008, 15:12
FWIW, there's no straw inside my platy bag, so the tube exit has to be on the bottom. It wouldn't work any other way. As for the little clip to hold the free end of the tube, I could never find a convenient place to clip it to... so I ditched it.

jay590
01-02-2008, 17:14
i caryy at least 3 litres a day hiking and up to six litres if i know i'm not going the pass a creek until i reaqch where i wanted to go. this is all carried in hydration bladders. one in the pocket made for it on my aether. the other in the top pocket. i usuallydrink about 5 litres while hiking and another two while sitting around camp.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2008, 18:17
:-? I heard recently that Nalgene water bottles, when used for an extended period of time, secrete some sort of substance, ie. growth hormone or something like that. Which would be, consequently, very bad for a person's health.

Anyone else hear about this?? Or is this one of those 'urban legends'????

Not a legend, but the actual amounts, effects, etc are disputed. Lots of special interests and money(Nalge Co. and whoever's product might replace theirs)on BOTH sides of this, besides just the scientific/medical story. The most reasonable claim I've heard is that trace amounts of certain plasticizers(especially bisphenol-a) can leach from the plastic, notably when the containers are subjected to above designed temperatures, such as being filled with very hot water or being diswashed. The amounts are very small, and 1000's of times under the FDA limit, but there is concern because bisphenol-A mimics estrogen chemically, human endocrine systems can be very sensitive, and there are claims that such effects may lead to abnormal brain development, such Down Syndrome, in fetuses.

One of those issues you have to make up your own mind on.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene

In recent years, studies[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene#_note-1)[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene#_note-2) have suggested that polycarbonate plastics such as the ones used by Nalgene may leach endocrine disruptors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocrine_disruptors). Nalgene denies that the quantity leached from their products poses a significant threat to health.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene#_note-3) Among the secreted chemicals, Bisphenol A (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A) (BPA) is an area of concern as it binds to estrogen receptors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen_receptor), thus altering gene expression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_expression).[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalgene#_note-4) Other research has found that fixatives in polycarbonate plastics can cause chromosomal error in cell division called aneuploidy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneuploidy). Nalgene claims these chemicals are only potentially released from Nalgene products when used at temperatures outside of the designed range.
An alternative is available in the polyethylene (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene) versions of these products (made out of HDPE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDPE), Nalgene's traditional material), which are free of these chemicals. They can be identified by their greater flexibility, their translucent, "milky" appearance, and by the number 2 triangular plastic recycling symbol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code) on the bottom, rather than the number 7 on a polycarbonate bottle.

bredler
01-02-2008, 18:45
And we could not even spell Goretex. Polartec or Thermarest.

So this country's public education system has come a long way then!

sheepdog
01-02-2008, 19:02
I shall now step aside and allow the modern hikers to explain how it`s done today..I think it involves assimilation and feeding tubes and such :)
----------
Resistance is futile:D

take-a-knee
01-02-2008, 20:42
In my earlier post in this thread (Msg #17) I pooh-poohed hydration systems. I'd like to retract that. I've done a 180 on this matter. I used a platy on this year's section hike, and now I'm sold. I was concerned about the ruggedness, but the platy held up well.

I've even reversed my original rationale. It's nice to be able to sip without stopping. Breaks are good, and I still take lots of them... but it's no longer necessary to take a break in order to take water. The two activities -- taking a break, and hydration -- don't need to happen at the sime time.

There's one downside, mostly just a nuisance... and that is, keeping the end of the hydration tube off the ground. Just something you have to think about when taking off the pack, and putting it back on. The other downside (as has been mentioned) is estimating how much water remains in the platy.

Yeah, that tube falling into a mud puddle is a real downer, and we usually don't eat a meal wearing a pack, so you still need a gatorade bottle to go along with the platy.

rafe
01-02-2008, 21:15
Yeah, that tube falling into a mud puddle is a real downer

... well, not really. I'd call it a nuisance. You may need to waste an ounce or two of water to clean it up...

and we usually don't eat a meal wearing a pack, so you still need a gatorade bottle to go along with the platy.

Yep, I'd always carry a half-liter or more as backup, in a wide-mouth bottle. The platy always comes out of the pack at camp and serves as the camp-water dispenser.

Thangfish
01-02-2008, 22:16
I carry 2 1.8L Platy bags, one in each side pocket of my GG Virga. Hose gets clipped to shoulder strap when removing pack. The 1.8L size is shorter and fatter that the 2L bags and fits almost all the way down in those stretchy side pockets. I find that I don't drink enough water when I don't use a drinking hose, and I usually don't take any breaks, unless it's to pee, photo-shoot, or filter water. I also carry one of Brawny's sil-nylon water sacs to tote/treat water from difficult locations.
Each 1.8L Platypus resevoir weighs about 1oz (plus 1 hose) and the gram weeny water sac is about half an oz.
Water has been at a premium lately, around here.

I'll probably just stick to the gatorade bottles on the shoulder straps when using a (much) lighter pack, in times of plentiful water.

berninbush
01-02-2008, 23:57
I used to ride my bike to work (before I changed jobs), and in the heat of Texas summer carrying water was a must, even for my relatively short ride. For biking, I found that having a hydration pouch and hose was MUCH better than having a water bottle clipped to my bike. I know some people can drink from a squeeze bottle and ride at the same time, but I doubt I'm that coordinated. :D

But I didn't spend a lot of money on a "hydration system." I carried my change of clothes in a Walmart bookbag, and my water bag also came from Walmart. I don't remember what the brand name was, if it even had one, but it held up to daily use just fine and in fact it's still in good shape. It cost something like $8. I used a hair scunci to hold the hose to a shoulder strap, and could tuck the mouthpiece under that to keep it off the ground when necessary.

I like it for hiking, too, but I realized it's also good to carry water in a bottle... if you need to pour water out for some reason (for cooking, to share with a dog, etc.) it's very hard to do so from a water pouch on the trail.

take-a-knee
01-03-2008, 00:05
I used to ride my bike to work (before I changed jobs), and in the heat of Texas summer carrying water was a must, even for my relatively short ride. For biking, I found that having a hydration pouch and hose was MUCH better than having a water bottle clipped to my bike. I know some people can drink from a squeeze bottle and ride at the same time, but I doubt I'm that coordinated. :D

But I didn't spend a lot of money on a "hydration system." I carried my change of clothes in a Walmart bookbag, and my water bag also came from Walmart. I don't remember what the brand name was, if it even had one, but it held up to daily use just fine and in fact it's still in good shape. It cost something like $8. I used a hair scunci to hold the hose to a shoulder strap, and could tuck the mouthpiece under that to keep it off the ground when necessary.

I like it for hiking, too, but I realized it's also good to carry water in a bottle... if you need to pour water out for some reason (for cooking, to share with a dog, etc.) it's very hard to do so from a water pouch on the trail.

Platypuses aren't expensive, they are cheaper than camelbacks and work better (the bite valves). Like any light weight gear, it might not last as long.

BitBucket
01-03-2008, 00:12

Thanks
I've got a quick disconnect port on the 3 liter hydration system hose. When I need to refill, I can just disconnect at the bite valve and connect the hydration tube directly to the output port on my Katadyn Vario filter....drop the filter's input hose in the creek and with a few pumps of the handle, the hydration bladder is refilled quickly without removing it from the pack.

I also carry a spare 1 liter Platypus bag for backup.

However, it's best to just fill up your body when you stop at the creek. It's a lot easier and better to carry H2O inside your body than in a bag or bottle. If you top off your body you'll find that you don't need to carry as much water between fill ups....

TheChamp
01-04-2008, 14:18
If you want more slim design bottles that fit better into most pack's side pockets, check out the Smartwater 1L bottles...take a couple of those and a 2+L Platypus and you're golden.