PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Creek Gap Parking

bigmac_in
04-15-2007, 10:15
The thread on vandalism at Woody Gap has me a bit concerned about our upcoming section hike. We are planning on parking at Dicks Creek Gap, getting a shuttle to Neels Gap, and hiking back to DCG. The car will be there for 3 nights. Will it be safe, or have there been incidents there as well. What are the best alternatives?

Phreak
04-15-2007, 11:18
I've parked there on a lot of trips and never had any issues.

Touch of Grey
04-15-2007, 11:39
Seeing as how you specified Dick's Creek Gap, you might consider Cloud 9 1 mile down the road for parking. Frank may charge you for parking on his property but you have a reasonable assurance that the more people around the safer your vehicle is. Blueberry Patch is also not far down the road. That could be another site to consider.

Of course if you still feel compelled to park at Dick's Creek then utilize the tips of others here on WB, leave nothing of importance in the vehicle, especially in plain sight. Opeen the glove box and show that it is empty of any important papers and possible a spare set of keys or the paperwork for the vehicle (registration and proof of insurance). Make sure that if you have a removeable face on your stereo as most aftermarket models can be purchased that you leave the face at home.

Invest in a 'Club or other similar device' that locks the steering wheel. It may not in all cases stop anyone from stealling your car if they really want it but then the whole idea of security systems on cars is not to stop someone from stealing your car but to make it much harder and therefore other cars without security systems easier to steal.

That's my 2 pennies worth for what it is worth. Personally I would rather ask and pay Frank or Blueberry Patch the few extra dollars to give me that edge than to take the chances.

Of course as always nothing at all may happen and then the whole thing is a moot point. The reality is do 'you' want to take that chance?

TOG

bigmac_in
04-15-2007, 16:31
Seeing as how you specified Dick's Creek Gap, you might consider Cloud 9 1 mile down the road for parking. Frank may charge you for parking on his property but you have a reasonable assurance that the more people around the safer your vehicle is. Blueberry Patch is also not far down the road. That could be another site to consider.

Of course if you still feel compelled to park at Dick's Creek then utilize the tips of others here on WB, leave nothing of importance in the vehicle, especially in plain sight. Opeen the glove box and show that it is empty of any important papers and possible a spare set of keys or the paperwork for the vehicle (registration and proof of insurance). Make sure that if you have a removeable face on your stereo as most aftermarket models can be purchased that you leave the face at home.

Invest in a 'Club or other similar device' that locks the steering wheel. It may not in all cases stop anyone from stealling your car if they really want it but then the whole idea of security systems on cars is not to stop someone from stealing your car but to make it much harder and therefore other cars without security systems easier to steal.

That's my 2 pennies worth for what it is worth. Personally I would rather ask and pay Frank or Blueberry Patch the few extra dollars to give me that edge than to take the chances.

Of course as always nothing at all may happen and then the whole thing is a moot point. The reality is do 'you' want to take that chance?

TOG

I wondered about Cloud 9 - I may just give them a call. I had my car broken into once when there was absolutely nothing in sight to steal - so I never feel like it is safe. I'd rather park somewhere that is safe and be able to leave a cooler and such inside. I'll take some chances in life, but it's a long drive back to Indiana with no window, or a busted door.

Skidsteer
04-15-2007, 16:46
I wondered about Cloud 9 - I may just give them a call. I had my car broken into once when there was absolutely nothing in sight to steal - so I never feel like it is safe. I'd rather park somewhere that is safe and be able to leave a cooler and such inside. I'll take some chances in life, but it's a long drive back to Indiana with no window, or a busted door.

If you don't have your shuttle booked, you might arrange that at Cloud9 as well. Don't know if they shuttle that far, but it's worth asking.

Ewker
04-15-2007, 17:46
If you don't have your shuttle booked, you might arrange that at Cloud9 as well. Don't know if they shuttle that far, but it's worth asking.

Cloud9 will do a shuttle to Dick Creek Gap but I don't think they will go to Neels Gap. You can us Joyce and Sally who live right down the road from Cloud9.

bigmac_in PM me and I will give you their number.

I just got through section hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap. Great time. We hiked in snow, sleet, rain, windy and sunny conditions. What a blast

bigmac_in
04-15-2007, 19:40
Cloud9 will do a shuttle to Dick Creek Gap but I don't think they will go to Neels Gap. You can us Joyce and Sally who live right down the road from Cloud9.

bigmac_in PM me and I will give you their number.

I just got through section hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap. Great time. We hiked in snow, sleet, rain, windy and sunny conditions. What a blast

Sent you the PM Ewker - thanks!

Smile
04-15-2007, 20:25
The folks at Cloud 9 are terrific, have a great hike!

gold bond
04-15-2007, 21:16
I emailed cloud9 about three days ago. we are going up may 18 and want to spend the night there and shuttle to Dicks Creek in the morning. I have not heard from them. I think I read where they close near the end of may. Is that correct? that as well might be a bad weekend as that is Trail Days in VA. Any suggestions or help would be most appriciated!

Dances with Mice
04-15-2007, 21:21
I emailed cloud9 about three days ago. we are going up may 18 and want to spend the night there and shuttle to Dicks Creek in the morning. I have not heard from them. I think I read where they close near the end of may. Is that correct? that as well might be a bad weekend as that is Trail Days in VA. Any suggestions or help would be most appriciated!I imagine they've got their hands full with a bunch of hikers fleeing a cold, wet trail this weekend. Call and leave a message.

Ewker
04-15-2007, 21:25
I emailed cloud9 about three days ago. we are going up may 18 and want to spend the night there and shuttle to Dicks Creek in the morning. I have not heard from them. I think I read where they close near the end of may. Is that correct? that as well might be a bad weekend as that is Trail Days in VA. Any suggestions or help would be most appriciated!

try Hiawassee Inn 706-896-4121, great place to stay plus they will shuttle you.

Skidsteer
04-15-2007, 21:27

Call 'em. 706 896 8959

galaleemc
04-18-2007, 22:47
Gold Bond

I sure hope I did get to your email, and respond....I check it everyday, rare that I miss. We have been VERY BUSY with hikers. Yes we allow parking here, whether Cloud9 is open for hikers or not. I have not heard of any vandalism in the parking lot since we have lived here for 3 years. I have seen broken glass, but someone could have locked their keys in their car and broke the window. I will PM him.

REB
05-20-2015, 05:35
Could you please give me an idea of how many days it took you to hike springer to dicks creek?
im planning same trip with a stop at Neels to clean up, resue ply, and laundry. Also will start at state park and take approach trail to springer. Thanks