PDA

View Full Version : winter hikes/SNP

chknfngrs
09-04-2003, 16:54
anyone done a winter hike in the SNP? Specifically Old Rag Mtn? I'm interested in early December day hike.

Mini-Mosey
09-05-2003, 07:22
Check out the information concerning access to the park in the winter months; the north and south district accesses to the park close at least part of the time during the winter months. You'll want to make sure you'll be able to get out of the park when your day hike is done, as facilities are closed by then.

jlb2012
09-05-2003, 07:56
Most people access Old Rag from the park boundary - especially those who dayhike it. As a result the usual hassle with Skyline Drive being closed at night during hunting season is not a problem for Old Rag.

With respect to the weather in early December - who knows??? My guess is that there will be some icy spots and some possibility of snow but there is a very good chance that it will be clear enough to hike. You might want to bring along some instep crampons just in case however.

sail13
09-05-2003, 22:01
I have hiked old rag in the winter quite a few times. It is a good hike but be carefull the rock scramble is often covered in black ice and without winter mountaineering gear some parts may be inpassable. Turn back if it looks to bad there are plenty of other good trails in the area. When I was 13 I watched my friend fall off one of the icy rock overhangs and luckly he surived a fall of at least 50 ft. That said it is a great hike and the weather here in Va. changes all the time it might be 20 F or 70 F so give it a try and if there is ice on the rock scramble just turn around and hike up the old rag fire road, this is what I wish we had done.

chknfngrs
09-07-2003, 15:05
thanks!