PDA

View Full Version : Ground Cloth needed w/ silnylon bottom?

Bster13
04-15-2007, 19:04
I am in the process of making a Ray Jardine Tar-tent with optional net-tent which includes a silnylon floor. I would like to know if the group recommends a ground cloth underneath that? I sometimes hear of people recommending them, then others just going with the silnylon flr.

I'm considering...
-Campmor Emergency Blanket:
http://tinyurl.com/yrfn28

-Tyvek 'kite' wrap:
http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/tyvek.html

-Another Silnylon tarp.

And do you have an opinion on which ground cloth is best?
Thx.
Bryce

Fiddler
04-15-2007, 19:22
Regardless if a ground cloth is recommended for a certain tent or not, I have always used one. There will be some who disagree with me and say they are not necessary. I use Tyvek. I have never had a hole or rip in the tent floor. For the little additional weight I say better safe than sorry.

Appalachian Tater
04-15-2007, 19:38
Just accept the fact that a silnylon tent is not going to last forever and leave the footprint at home. You will probably get some pinholes that don't affect watertightness. Using a footprint defeats the whole point of using a very lightweight shelter. If you take a little care in moving sticks before setting up your shelter, you will find the silnylon more durable than you might imagine.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-15-2007, 20:03
Since you are making this tent, why not just use tyvek for the floor? It is far less slippery to walk / sleep on, more durable and can easily be repaired with duct tape if it should get a hole

saimyoji
04-15-2007, 20:05
Yeah, ultralight gear requires more care/attention. Take some time when choosing a camp site, groom it appropriately before setting up.

Make sure to put everything you move back in its exact place after you break camp though. :rolleyes:

Smile
04-15-2007, 20:29
Tyvek makes a good ground cloth for Silnylon IMHO, and doubles as other uses too. Nice to sleep on mid day for a nap.

rswanson
04-16-2007, 19:25
Gossamer Gear sells a polycro groundcloth (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html) for cheap that's lighter and less bulky than Tyvek. It's not as durable but plenty tough enough for use under a tent floor.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 19:28
Ohhh, I found that stuff to be like using seran wrap. Always sticking to itself.

Vi+
04-16-2007, 20:17
I suppose you plan to place (1) a ground cloth down first, then (2) the tent floor, then (3) the sleeping pad, and finally (4) your sleeping bag.

Why not just eliminate the ground cloth?

Just place the sleeping pad directly upon the ground. Then pitch the tent above the sleeping pad. Bring your sleeping bag into the tent and center it above the location of the sleeping pad.

The foregoing presumes you aren’t using a sleeping pad which will be compromised by punctures.

headonkey
04-17-2007, 09:10
I'm almost done with my Jardine tarp and I just ordered the polycryo tarp from Gossamer Gear. At 1.5 oz, I think its definitely worth bringing along to protect that sil-nylon floor.

hopefulhiker
04-17-2007, 09:37
I found a little piece of plastic in a hiker box that I used in shelters and sometimes as a partial groundcloth.. I later dropped it in another hiker box.. Ground cloth really not necessary with Shires tarp tent...

jesse
04-17-2007, 09:56
I sewed a RW tarp last year, have used it a few times and am quite happy with it. I just finished the net tent, and will be taking it out this weekend. I do not plan on using a ground cloth. I agree with Appalalachian Tater's reasoning.
Vi+

Just place the sleeping pad directly upon the ground
The whoe reason for the net tent is bug protection. It is nothing more than no-seeum mesh walls sewn to a sil-nylon floor. A sleeping pad directly on the ground would not offer adaquate protection, IMO. Last winter I did sleep one night without a ground cloth, I think your method makes good sense when it is not bug season.

rswanson
04-17-2007, 18:50
The whoe reason for the net tent is bug protection. It is nothing more than no-seeum mesh walls sewn to a sil-nylon floor. A sleeping pad directly on the ground would not offer adaquate protection, IMO. Last winter I did sleep one night without a ground cloth, I think your method makes good sense when it is not bug season.
I think what Vi+ meant was place your pad under the floor of the tent, where it will act as a buffer from abrasion. The floor is still there; it just has the pad under it, doing double-duty as a partial groundcloth and a sleeping pad. If you use a torso pad, this might not provide the protection you need but otherwise its a pretty good solution.