PDA

View Full Version : stoves

art703
09-04-2003, 18:30
Did anybody bring or wish they had a multi fuel stove like an msr on a thru hike?

celt
09-04-2003, 20:43
I used a MSR Whisperlite for white gas only and didn't regret it. I never had any issues finding white gas for sale by the ounce in A.T. trail towns. Mostly I found it at a local outdoor outfitter but campground stores, hardware stores, hostels and even trail angles were good sources too. MSR's multi-fuel stoves aren't much heavier than the white gas model but on a thru-hike shaving ounces is as important as pounds. Of course if you get really serious about stove weight there is the increasingly popular home-made pop can stove that burns denatured alcohol.

stranger
09-05-2003, 06:32
These days you can pretty much use ANY stove and get by just fine...use what YOU want and are happy with. I find it amusing how many people debate the simple act of HEAT these days.

MOWGLI
09-05-2003, 06:58
Another vote for the MSR whisperlite. There is no need to purchase a multi-fuel stove for an AT hike of any distance. If you already have one, it'll work fine though.

Lilred
09-05-2003, 07:14
Use a soda can stove, and flip it upside down, add a piece of heavy wire mesh on the bottom and use Esbit tabs. Simple, lightweight and multi-fuel. I'll carry a few Esbit tabs with me for backup fuel or fire starters.

chris
09-05-2003, 09:36
I brought a MSR whisperlite on my Springer->Damascus section hike last summer. I brought the bottom 2 inches of a beer can (i.e, an alcohol stove) on my PCT hike this summer. I'll never use a white gas or cannister stove in normal seasons again.