PDA

View Full Version : Resupply between Damascus and Atkins?

srsfsu
04-16-2007, 10:10
I am planning a section hike in this area this summer. I have a couple of questions:

How long should I plan for this section if I hike 10-15 miles per day.

Also, what does the resupply situation look like? Are there any easy areas to hitch to in order to resupply or should I just carry food for the entire week? I like the idea of keeping my load as light as possible so resupply is preferable.

Cookerhiker
04-16-2007, 10:21
I am planning a section hike in this area this summer. I have a couple of questions:

Also, what does the resupply situation look like? Are there any easy areas to hitch to in order to resupply or should I just carry food for the entire week? I like the idea of keeping my load as light as possible so resupply is preferable.

It's about 75 miles and as I recall, most of the uphill is in the first 25-30 miles. Afterwards, it's fairly easy. 10-15 miles per day should get you through in 6 days average plus/minus one day. So if I were you, I wouldn't bother with resupplying. I know you said you want a light pack and others may advise you to resupply from Troutdale but that's only 2 days from Atkins. You can save one dinner's worth of packing by staying at Partnership Shelter and ordering pizza.

Have you consulted the ALDHA Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va07.pdf)? You find info on mileage, elevations, and facilities.
And welcome to Whiteblaze!:welcome

Lone Wolf
04-16-2007, 10:23

Troutdale, 49 miles north of Damascus is about your only option. It's a 2.5 mile hitch.

Yahtzee
04-16-2007, 10:26
Troutdale is a 2 mile hitch, but it is only 15 miles from Atkins so it might not be worth it.

Partnership Shelter-- time so you get there before phone is off (or cell if you get reception and they accept cell calls -- my pizza shop doesn't). From here you can order a pizza or sandwich for delivery.

Other than that your looking at 6 days of food to be on the safe side.

Lone Wolf
04-16-2007, 10:29
Troutdale is a 2 mile hitch, but it is only 15 miles from Atkins so it might not be worth it.

Troutdale is 26 miles from Atkins.

srsfsu
04-16-2007, 11:15
Thanks ya'll. Looks like I'll just pack 6 days worth.

Midway Sam
04-16-2007, 11:17
There are several road crossings that afford you the opportunity to cache food & supplies. Just cache it well so as to avoid feeding the local wildlife.

srsfsu
04-16-2007, 11:18
Partnership Shelter-- time so you get there before phone is off (or cell if you get reception and they accept cell calls -- my pizza shop doesn't). From here you can order a pizza or sandwich for delivery.

What time does the phone turn off?

Yahtzee
04-16-2007, 12:05
Don't want to steer you wrong so I would attempt to call the Mt. Rogers Center next door to find out. If phone outside works (it wasnt my last pass) you can call anytime. If the phone is still out, the center closed at 4:30ish if I remember.

15 trail miles, LW, but thanks for correcting my English. So glad to have you patrolling these pages and making sure we all conform to the king's English.

Lone Wolf
04-16-2007, 12:09
Don't want to steer you wrong so I would attempt to call the Mt. Rogers Center next door to find out. If phone outside works (it wasnt my last pass) you can call anytime. If the phone is still out, the center closed at 4:30ish if I remember.

15 trail miles, LW, but thanks for correcting my English. So glad to have you patrolling these pages and making sure we all conform to the king's English.

it's 26 TRAIL miles from Troutdale to Atkins

max patch
04-16-2007, 12:11
15 trail miles, LW, but thanks for correcting my English.

Time to get a new calculator, Yahtzee.

Yahtzee
04-16-2007, 12:21
BRAIN FART! I counted from Troutdale to Partnership. Food to food. My bad.

jlb2012
04-16-2007, 12:28
15 trail miles

more like 34.6 trail miles - for Trout Dale you get off trail at mile 500.2 (Rt 603) and for Atkins you get off trail at 534.8 (Rt 683)

Lone Wolf
04-16-2007, 12:44
more like 34.6 trail miles - for Trout Dale you get off trail at mile 500.2 (Rt 603) and for Atkins you get off trail at 534.8 (Rt 683)

most hikers go to troutdale from Va 16/VA 650. not from 603. too far and poor hitching.

jlb2012
04-16-2007, 13:20
thanks Lone Wolf - that makes sense

Lilred
04-16-2007, 19:00
VA603 is a lousy hitch. Took forever. That's where I'm starting my section this summer. I had skipped from there to Partnership shelter in order to catch up to Hanna last year. Soooo I'll be retracing about 20 some miles, but that's ok. Getting very excited as May 27th approaches. Day after work is out and I am outta here!! Seven weeks and I hope to finish Shenendoa.

Troutdale doesn't have a grocery store. There is a little cafe there with a slim selection of food to pick from. More like the fare you would find at any gas station store. But the cheeseburgers are fantastic!

The cafe is the only thing in Troutdale. Reminds me of the Whistle Stop cafe in the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. I loved Troutdale, great nothing of a town.

flyingturtle
04-17-2007, 17:22
VA 603 is a very lousy hitch. We were just about to give up when we got a lift. The way back was a different story. No hitch, had to walk the four miles or so in the scortching heat with not much shade cover. Not really worth the pop we went in to get! By the time I made it back to the trail, I was all thirsty again. Moral of the story?? Pack one for the trail!!

Lilred
04-17-2007, 17:40
VA 603 is a very lousy hitch. We were just about to give up when we got a lift. The way back was a different story. No hitch, had to walk the four miles or so in the scortching heat with not much shade cover. Not really worth the pop we went in to get! By the time I made it back to the trail, I was all thirsty again. Moral of the story?? Pack one for the trail!!

You went to the cafe and didn't get a burger??? for shame.....

spittinpigeon
04-17-2007, 21:53
Troutdale, 49 miles north of Damascus is about your only option. It's a 2.5 mile hitch.

Just remember to take a right to go into Troutdale, not left like the databook and companion say. :)

flyingturtle
06-16-2011, 08:28
You went to the cafe and didn't get a burger??? for shame.....

I know, I know...but that was when I was young and stupid! I never miss an opportunity for a meal now! :D

Jack Tarlin
06-16-2011, 11:25
You should also know that you can send a parcel/maildrop to the Cafe in Troutdale and they'll hold it for you. Everyone that works there is great.