PDA

View Full Version : How's Mountain House Blueberry Cheesecake?

headchange4u
04-16-2007, 18:15
I love cheesecake (who doesn't) and I keep seeing this Mountain House Blueberry Cheesecake.

Anybody ever tried it? How's it taste?

One of the things that has kept me from buying some and trying it is that it's a 4 person serving. I should think that it would be pretty easy to split up into single servings using my digital scale.

You can also buy it in a #10 can. Has anyone ever bought one of these? Are the ingredients (cheesecake mix, blueberry topping, and crumbles) packaged seperatly in the can so they can also be split up into single severings?

sarbar
04-16-2007, 18:56
I have had other types of instant cheesecake, and all are pretty good. The ones at the grocery store work pretty well, also!

mudhead
04-16-2007, 19:01
Sounds like more fun to buy a 4fer and have at it than a #10 can. Unless you know its good, and need the can.

headchange4u
04-16-2007, 19:36
I will buy the 4 serving pack to try it out. If I like it enough I may spring for the can.

Like Sabar said, the grocery store instant cheesecake would probably work fine. I had never thought about that. I would assume it could be split up into more managable serving sizes. I just wonder if the topping could be split up.

I also saw this. (http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pudding-Filling-Cheesecake-3-4-Ounce/dp/B000E1FYT2)

mudhead
04-16-2007, 19:52
That Jello stuff is also at walmart and regular grocery. The @ 1oz sugar-free instant is perfect for one. But then, I do eat. Don't care for the chocolate flavor, but the cheesecake works.

If you carry lemon extract, try a lemon and cheesecake with less milk. Needs more lemon flavor. Cheesecake and chocolate work also.

Matter of fact, all those instant puddings are worthy. Even chocolate.

sarbar
04-16-2007, 23:36
If you do try the Jello Cheesecake mixes, 1/3 cup dry milk for each cup of "milk" called for works perfect :) I like to do it in a quart bag to mix it up, then I take the aluminum foil cupcake liners. I sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs in the bottom and squeeze the filling in. Easy cheezy!

Toolshed
04-17-2007, 07:13
A few people I've hiked with years ago were laughing about it once - They had it and ended up with green poop.
I think a year or so ago, there was also a thread here about the same thing.
No ill effects, though. :sun

ken209
04-17-2007, 15:12
Get the Enertia Trail foods Grand Canyon Cheesecake, it is great.:)

headchange4u
04-17-2007, 18:06

They also have a blueberry cheesecake. I saw it at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs this last weekend.

I saw a recipe to add a couple of spoonfuls of of instant coffee or something like Taster's choise to add a little kick to the cheesecake.

I wonder if you can dehydrate pie filling to use for toppings?

ShakeyLeggs
04-17-2007, 18:41

I am using Enertia for all my dinners and some of my breakfasts on my section this year. They produce a great product and have to agree their cheescake is great.

Marta
04-17-2007, 22:08
I am an expert on this cheesecake, having bought loads of it and made it many times. The most recent cheesecake feast was at the SEHHA campout in Hot Springs last weekend. All cheescake partakers seemed to like it just fine.

The cheesecake consists of a packet of cheesecake mix that is combined with 1 c. of cold water, a packet of graham cracker crumbs, a packet of blueberry topping that is combined with 1/4 c. of boiling water, and a plastic "bowl" that is a square-bottomed bag with a piece of cardboard in the bottom. This is all supposed to serve 4.

The #10 can MH cheesecake contains 3 sets of the above items.

It is easy to make and pretty tasty. It is fairly bulky, but that could be reduced by leaving the "bowl" at home and using your pot to mix in.

(At the SEHHA, I donated a bowl to someone to try out as a backpacking sink. I haven't gotten a report on that experiment yet.)

I sometimes make the cheesecake as a dessert, but I especially like it as a breakfast. Serves 1.

Marta/Five-Leaf

headchange4u
04-17-2007, 23:19
Hey Marta. I'm glad I got to meet you this weekend at the SEHHA campout. I must have missed the cheesecake feast. :(

Marta
04-18-2007, 07:09
Glad to have met you there, too.

Sorry you missed the cheesecake Saturday night. It would have answered your questions about the subject. I had a #10 can and everything.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Jobie
04-20-2007, 22:15
I am using Enertia for all my dinners and some of my breakfasts on my section this year. They produce a great product and have to agree their cheescake is great.

I tried that last year. After 2 days of 3 Enertia foods meals each day, I could not even stand to smell the stuff. They also were doing a number on my stomach. I have never had a trail food do that to me before. I ended up resupplying at a gas station for the next 5 days worth of food.