PDA

View Full Version : My UL Bag Cozy

sarbar
04-16-2007, 18:59
I finally got around to putting my UL fabric bag cozy up on my website this morning. I had fun developing it, and I am now designing a UL snack bag to shield my snacks from the heat.

Todays blog entry. (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=1428078)

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 19:37
I finally got around to putting my UL fabric bag cozy up on my website this morning. I had fun developing it, and I am now designing a UL snack bag to shield my snacks from the heat.

Todays blog entry. (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=1428078)

Pretty snazzy. :)

Kerosene
04-16-2007, 23:13
So what are the specs (weight, dimensions, heat retention, et al)?

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 23:19
So what are the specs (weight, dimensions, heat retention, et al)?

From Sarbar's website: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/Cozies3.jpg

An innovative new product for backcountry cooking. Ultralight, packable, crushable and dual purpose - what more could you ask for? Well, you even get a choice in colors!

Using this cozy is very simple: put your quart freezer bag inside the cozy, the weight of the bag will often hold the cozy open at the top, add your water, stir well, seal bag and then close the cozy. Lean the cozy so it is upright and let the food do it's magic.

This cozy may be an average of 1 and a 1/4 ounces but it will deliver hot meals even in the coldest months. Constructed of machine washable breathable fabric, it retains both heat and cold. Yes, you can use this cozy for the first day out, even in August, to carry your deli sandwich and keep it cold. I have personally tested these cozies in the Olympic Coast, on cold evenings in Eastern Washington in the snow and in the high country in the Cascade and Olympic Mountains here in Washington State.

Outside dimensions are approximately 7" by 10" by 1/2". Weight ranges between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 ounces, depending on outer fabric. Each cozy features a Velcro closure. It can be rolled up, smashed in your pack and is good to go. Outer fabrics are cotton, liner fabric is a Mylar/hollow poly fabric. Dimensions and weight are approximate as these are hand crafted items, sewn by me, one at a time.

We have a number of fabric choices available. Ones in stock are shown in the drop down menu.

$13.95

[/quote]</H2>

sarbar
04-16-2007, 23:40
I am also working on a UL (under 1 ounce) snack bag for hooking on to your pack, that will work the same as the cozy :)

Heat retention: in my tests the fabric cozies worked as well, and in some cases better than the ones made of Reflectvix material. Even after 15 minutes in the cozy, the food for me is too hot to hold in my hand.

sarbar
04-17-2007, 18:53
I added today lightweight insulated pack pouches (pockets) made of the same mylar inused fabric. They weigh roughly 1 ounce each, and fit most packs. I designed them to hold and protect 2-3 energy or candy bars from the heat or cold.
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm

Lanthar Mandragoran
04-18-2007, 14:48
I don't suppose the snacks bags could hold the weight of a full freezer bag so you could walk while it cooks?

sarbar
04-18-2007, 16:39
Lanthar, I need to get my hands on an Enertia bag, and test it, they might fit in the snack bag. If not, I could tweak the bag's size. The bags that Enertia meals come in are perfect for 1 servings of FBC meals. :D

Lanthar Mandragoran
04-18-2007, 16:51
Lanthar, I need to get my hands on an Enertia bag, and test it, they might fit in the snack bag. If not, I could tweak the bag's size. The bags that Enertia meals come in are perfect for 1 servings of FBC meals. :D

Ah... I see now why I was thinking what I was thinking, I didn't key in on the fact that these are different dimensions thanthe FBC Cozies. Other than that and the strap, are they made from the same material? They appear to be, but I wanted to make sure. I wonder if a pint sized (rather than quart sized) Freezer Bag might be coaxed into fitting...

Now that think about it... DIYing a little SilNyl sleeve (not too tight for fear of squeezing the bag too much) on the outside of ones pack might be a nifty way of utilizing the FBC Cozy... (of course someone has to have thought about letting their FBC meals cook while walking before, I'm probably just slow on the uptake... :banana)

ShakeyLeggs
04-18-2007, 16:58

Dang I just thru out a bunch of empty Enertia bags. If I knew that I could have sent ya one or 2. I have a bunch of hteir meals here let me get you the measurments intead, Hows that?

4 3/4" (25cm) wide

19" (33.5cm) tall

There ya go, Hope that helps. I took these measurments from an Enertia Rainier Rice meal unopened.

sarbar
04-18-2007, 21:45
Ah... I see now why I was thinking what I was thinking, I didn't key in on the fact that these are different dimensions thanthe FBC Cozies. Other than that and the strap, are they made from the same material? They appear to be, but I wanted to make sure. I wonder if a pint sized (rather than quart sized) Freezer Bag might be coaxed into fitting...

Now that think about it... DIYing a little SilNyl sleeve (not too tight for fear of squeezing the bag too much) on the outside of ones pack might be a nifty way of utilizing the FBC Cozy... (of course someone has to have thought about letting their FBC meals cook while walking before, I'm probably just slow on the uptake... :banana)
The big cozies fit a quart bag perfectly :) I have been thinking of maybe doing Enertia sized cozies-they'd just be a bit narrower, but the same length. The snack cozy is made exactly the same as the freezer bag one construction and material wise, just with a strap added for the back :)

sarbar
04-18-2007, 21:46
Dang I just thru out a bunch of empty Enertia bags. If I knew that I could have sent ya one or 2. I have a bunch of hteir meals here let me get you the measurments intead, Hows that?

4 3/4" (25cm) wide

19" (33.5cm) tall

There ya go, Hope that helps. I took these measurments from an Enertia Rainier Rice meal unopened.
Thanks! That will help. Might be fun to make up some cozies for the bags!

earlylight
05-09-2007, 21:27
I use a recycled plastic mailing envelope lined with bubblewrap. Fits a 1 quart freezer bag perfectly and weights just 0.60 oz. Cost was $0 - found it in the trash.

-Philip

Trillium
05-09-2007, 21:48

I love your fabric choices; just need to narrow it down :)

beamarshall
05-09-2007, 22:03
4 3/4" (25cm) wide

19" (33.5cm) tall

ummm.. 19" by 2.54 cm/in= 48.26 cm

while 33.5cm/2.54=13.2 inches

also 25cm/2.54=9.84 inches

4.75 by 2.54= 12.54 cm

how big was that bag again?:confused:

sarbar
05-10-2007, 00:10
I use a recycled plastic mailing envelope lined with bubblewrap. Fits a 1 quart freezer bag perfectly and weights just 0.60 oz. Cost was $0 - found it in the trash.

-Philip
Hey, by all means, I am a big supporter of recycling stuff into gear. For a long time I used to use Fed Ex padded mailers for my butt pad, from my old work. When they got dirty and worn out, I would go fetch another one out of the garbage can.

A couple of the colors are nearly sold out...I have decided that most of the colors will be limited editions. My new colors are going live soon. Lets just say I found a pink camo print that makes me smile :cool: The first one finished is my new bag.

sarbar
05-10-2007, 01:02
New colors:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/newcamobrown.jpg

And I bought this fabric simply because of how tacky it is. I fell in love with it:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/hotpink.jpg

Heater
05-10-2007, 01:12
New colors:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/newcamobrown.jpg

And I bought this fabric simply because of how tacky it is. I fell in love with it:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/hotpink.jpg

Neo:cool: will be all over that. Probably order 2 of each! :D

Where is neo, anyway... :-?

Darby
05-10-2007, 01:12
Hey, by all means, I am a big supporter of recycling stuff into gear. For a long time I used to use Fed Ex padded mailers for my butt pad, from my old work. When they got dirty and worn out, I would go fetch another one out of the garbage can.

A couple of the colors are nearly sold out...I have decided that most of the colors will be limited editions. My new colors are going live soon. Lets just say I found a pink camo print that makes me smile :cool: The first one finished is my new bag.
Do you have any military camo left ?

sarbar
05-10-2007, 10:45
Do you have any military camo left ?
Plenty of them :) I just made a huge batch of Military Camo this week. Sometimes how many I have depends of how much fabric I can get. The Khaki camo went good bye this morning though.