PDA

View Full Version : cookpot: aluminum vs. titanium

whitefoot_hp
04-16-2007, 20:10
in terms of weight and heat transfer, what are the pros and cons of these two materials for cookpots?

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 20:21
Oy vey....

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 20:51
Price.

Other than that they are mostly equal.

rickb
04-16-2007, 21:05
There are many reasons why aluminum pots are the best choice, but II can't remember any of them. What was the questions again?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-16-2007, 21:14
Aluminum cleans easier and costs a lot less.

Footslogger
04-16-2007, 22:25
I own both and tested them side-by-side. Ounce for ounce there is (at least in my experience) no practical advantage to either one of them.

I prefer and carry the Titanium pot ...but that's easy to say since I already own it. Truth be told you can buy several aluminum cookpots for the price of a single Titanium one.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
04-16-2007, 22:26
Yep! What they said (Dinos)
I've found that an aluminum cook pot lasts me about 2 thru hikes.
I don't know about the titanium but i'm guessing it would last longer. But when i buy my pots at thrift stores for aprox $1 each, and look at the titanium ones for $36, i'll probably never find out.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 23:40
you tested them side by side?

stag3
04-16-2007, 23:53
titanium is the absolute worst material to make a cookpot out of.

And that would be because?????

Stag3

oldfivetango
04-17-2007, 07:32
Any truth to the old rumor that aluminum causes Alzheimers?
What does titanium do to you? Inquiring minds want to know.......
Oldfivetango

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2007, 07:33
http://www.msrcorp.com/support/cookware.asp

rafe
04-17-2007, 08:01

I believe that's been disproven.

White pigments are almost always titanium dioxide, and are used extensively in food as well as paints.

Dances with Mice
04-17-2007, 08:08
Effects of Exposure: (http://www.espimetals.com/msds's/titanium.htm)
Titanium is generally considered to be physiologically inert. There are no reported cases in the literature where titanium as such has caused human intoxication. The dusts of titanium or most titanium compounds such as titanium oxide may be placed in the nuisance category.

Acute Effects:

Inhalation: Prolonged inhalation may cause mild irritation to the lungs and respiratory tract.
Ingestion: Relatively non-toxic, poorly absorbed from the alimentary tract.
Skin: May cause abrasive irritation.
Eyes: Dust or powder may cause irritation.

Chronic Effects: None known

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2007, 08:15
Here is a good discussion of aluminum and Alzheimers:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/Risk_factors/info_aluminium.htm

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 09:59
Yes I do remember that discussion. But you didn't answer the question. And as I remember the discussion, the agreement with all the people that did do side by side tests found that besides price, there isn't that much difference in pots.

I guess you didn't do any side by side comparisons then did you LOL ::rolleyes:

RockDoc
04-17-2007, 10:54
I sort of like the older steel billy pots, but ..... too heavy.:(

So I bought a $50 titanium 1 liter pot two years ago from REI, used it in Iceland for a week, and it seemed to burn every meal I made in it (used an MSR multi-fuel stove, the one that won't simmer). Oatmeal, soup, you name it. Bad tendancy for developing hot spots, at least with a strong stove (might be better with an alcohol stove?). Returned it to REI after the trip.

Going with aluminum these days.

sirbingo
04-17-2007, 11:15
Ok...How about Aluminum vs. Stainless Steel.

:)

zelph
04-17-2007, 11:28
remember that long discussion we had in the fall?

here it is:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17011

there's lots of good alu vs. ti and other cookpot info in that thread.

I recently read that information and agree with you that Titanium is the worse of the two materials to make cook pots with.

I, the Assistant Scoutmaster and the Scoutmaster of our boyscout troop, did side by side tests of the two materials and found the Titanium to be the worse of the two. Tests were done during a scouting campout last year, clear weather , ideal conditions. The scouts in the troop thought I was the better cook, I used the aluminum pots;)

Titanium sucks just like fleece LOL:rolleyes: ;)

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 11:47
LOL. Opinions are like - well you know. A lot of people (me included) have done hours of testing to figure this out and come to one conclusion and people with their scouts do others and come to their conclusions.

Truth is somewhere in between. So you gotta make your own decisions..

But basically it goes like this:

Your pot and stove should compliment each other. It would not be wise to use a two quart pot over a small Esbit stove since it could easily tip over and spill your dinner – and two quarts of pasta could take a long time to cook over such a small flame – if it ever could do it anyway. There are a multitude of pot options out there, but basically your choices will come down to about four basic qualities: metal, size, price, and weight. Some of these things are interconnected – the weight of a pot will be determined by metal and size, as often will the price. A steel pot that is one quart could weigh a pound and only cost $5 while a titanium pot of the same size could weigh about a quarter of that and cost $40. An aluminum pot of the exact same size could cost $5 and weigh about the same as the titanium pot. So based on these relationships, I will simply talk about two of these options: metal and size.

Metals: There are a few choices out there – you could use cast iron or glass, but the three main materials used in backpacking cookware are aluminum, steel, and titanium.
o Aluminum has been used for years. There are some concerns that some people have based on a very old study that linked Alzheimer to aluminum which has since been extensively written about as incorrect. Yet some people still believe in it and/or just don’t want to take the chance. Aluminum has the following properties:
- Great heat transfer properties – aluminum transmits heat evenly so it makes it a great metal for pots.
- Cheap – aluminum is probably one of the cheapest options when buying a pot. But there are some options in aluminum cookware that changes this, like if you go for anodized (hardened) aluminum pots or aluminum pots with Teflon coatings.
- Strength – of the three choices, aluminum is the most likely to get bent up and dented. There is also a possibility of corosion that doesn't exist in some of the other metal options.o Steel has also been around for years. It is easy to find steel pots in catalogues and outfitters. For people on a budget that are worried about aluminum, this is their usual choice. Steel has the following properties
- Steel has good heat transfer, but can serve as a heat sink – meaning it can store heat which could be good or bad. If you want a pot that will stay warm longer, this can help. But if you are trying to use less fuel then steel can store some of that heat and not transfer it to the meal as well as other metals.
- Cheap – as mentioned above, you can usually find steel pots at a reasonable price.
- Weight – steel pots will generally weigh a lot more than the other two choices. These days most hikers tend to avoid it because of this.
- Rust – steel pots can rust, although most will not if kept up properly.
- Strength – steep pots can stand up to a lot of abuse and still work great.o Titanium is relatively new but is very popular. The reasons are simple; it combines the strength of steel with the light weight of aluminum. It does have some drawbacks though. Here are some things to consider with titanium:
- Titanium is generally expensive. But shop around – some companies are selling some good solo pots at a fairly reasonable price. One thing I have found is pots are all made from the same quality of titanium, but not always the same thickness. They are an aluminum/titanium alloy not pure titanium which would be VERY expensive and honestly not as efficient as the alloy.
- Strength – even the alloy is very strong; it is strong like steel, while being light like aluminum – plus it won’t rust like steel can.
- Pure titanium is considered an insulator – which would be bad for a pot material. But since titanium is strong, it can be made into thinner walled pots than aluminum while maintaining better strength. And since there is some aluminum in the mix, it doesn’t “insulate” the meal in the pot from the heat of the stove. One drawback to this is since the pot is thinner; there is a higher chance for burning food. That said, the alloy (6AL-4V) still has louse heat transmission and capacities compared to the other metals - the only thing that prevents this from being a total drawback is these pots can be eggshell thin and yet still hold up to abuse and use.o Pot sizes are a personal preference thing. So what do you need to consider? Well if you are going solo, start from the basic standpoint of what do I need and then work up from there based on style. The smallest pot I found effective for a solo hiker that still allowed me to eat well was a 0.72 liter pot. That said, I have found a slightly larger pot easier to cook in – so I now use a 0.9 L pot for backpacking. With that as a baseline, think of how you plan to eat.
- If you are in a group and want to cook in one pot – will you all eat from the same pot or will you have individual bowls to eat from? If so, then consider just getting separate pots and cooking and eating from your own pot. This gives some benefits such as each person cooking and seasoning meals to their own personal taste but may have drawbacks like longer cooking times or needing separate stoves.
- If you are a person that likes a large meal, then how large? If you need two Lipton’s meals to feel full, then you probably need at least a 1.5 liter pot. If you like to eat a lot but could be happy with one meal, some flat bread, and some GORP with dinner - then maybe you can do with the smaller pot anyway and mix cooked and uncooked foods in a meal.
- Remember that your stove and pot need to work together. A huge pot won’t always work on a small alcohol stove. You also don’t need a large gas stove to heat water in a 0.72 liter pot – a small alcohol stove will do just fine while weighing less and the smaller flames may actually make it easier to cook without burning food. Just things to consider.

Pots can come with other options like a frying pan lid, or a cool stuff sack, a flat lid, built in handles, pot lifters included, special bottoms to connect to certain stoves, etc. All these choices are extras which are more individual style and what they need. The merits of each one are something for the individual hiker to decide. Have fun with it based on what you want. The same is true of your utensils and other dishes. If you eat from the pot, then no need for bowls and plates. If your dishes are simple rice and noodles, then a spoon can do or maybe even chopsticks – no need for a fork unless you just want one. If you want hot coffee you may want an insulated cup, but if you are just doing cold drinks, you water bottle can do it all. Maybe you are a coffee snob and want a french press or maybe you can drink the cheap flow-thru bags on the trail and satisfy your gormet coffee craving in towns when you re-supply.

And for anothe view - http://zenstoves.net/Cookware.htm

There. That is about as ubiased and unflippant as you can get. We could go into detailed arguments over this (and for some reason people will argue about these minor points) but it is like arguing which is a better car - a Ford Focus or a Corvette? It is opinion and what you want out of it. If you say a Corvette is faster, more comfortable, and better - well that Focus gets better mileage, has more space inside for long trips, and since there are speed limits, they both end up doing about the same speed anyway. Titanium vs Aluminum could be the same way. I know the aluminum on specs is the Corvette, but when it comes right down to function, they both end up boiling water about the same speed on the same stove.

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 11:56
Titanium sucks just like fleece LOL:rolleyes: ;)
LOL, now that is funny. Fleece sucks.

So do Nalgen bottles.

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 11:59
but when it comes right down to function, they both end up boiling water about the same speed on the same stove.
=========================================

That's exactly what I found when testing them side-by-side using a Trangia alcohol stove. I ran the test both before and after painting the outside of both cookpots (aluminum and titanium) black, since there was some dialogue a while back suggesting that a black pot surface absorbed/conducted heat more efficiently.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 12:00
I found that painting black didn't help any measurable amount.

zelph
04-17-2007, 12:33
LOL, now that is funny. Fleece sucks.

So do Nalgen bottles.

When I saw you make that post, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=350982&postcount=5) I was soo impressed. I LOL and then I LOL again.

And now Nalgen bottles LOL;)

Mags
04-17-2007, 12:51
This stove has been on two thru-hikes (CDT and PCT), the Long Trail, the Colorado Trail and a few other jaunts.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=33

$4 at K-mart back in 1999.

Maybe, just maybe i will get another pot...it looks even worse now! :)

hadacol
04-17-2007, 17:44
around the camp, there is nothing like cast iron. Spider, skillet or dutch oven, old seasoned cast iron is where classic camp meals come from.

That said, who the heck makes beans and biscuits on a regular basis on a long distance pack trip?

I am coming to the conclusion the closer you can bring cooking down to just boiling water, the better off you are. Titanium boils water great!

If you cook almost anything besides boiling water over your stove, titanium will burn it sooner or later. Lightweight alumium is a bit better. Again, anything really good will probably not pass the cut at Neels Gap.

Anyone know an easy (and permanent, flame resistant) way to thermally bond twenty five thousandths of copper to titanium?

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 17:45
Can you annodize titanium alloy?

Jimmers
04-17-2007, 18:01
Apparently so, at least according to wikipedia. But why would you want copper on titanium? Doesn't it sort of defeat the purpose?

Skidsteer
04-17-2007, 18:18
I'd be interested in seeing a pot that has titanium walls and an aluminum bottom.

oldfivetango
04-17-2007, 18:46
Maybe it is just me but I have a SnoPeak 600 ml titanium
mug and have never liked the taste of tea or coffee I have
made in it.Sorta tastes metallic.My real cook pot is the 3 cup
AGG pot and it works great with my sideburner and Brasslite turbo
2 D.It is made of anondized aluminium.The two quart is nice but is
a bit bulky for solo use.I think freezer bag cooking really rocks!
Oldfivetango

weary
04-17-2007, 18:50
Oldfivetango
Second question answer. I have no idea. First question. One thing is certain the impact of aluminum is not from using it to heat water during a six month vacation.

Weary.

rswanson
04-17-2007, 18:57
I'd be interested in seeing a pot that has titanium walls and an aluminum bottom.
I think the ounce or two weight savings you get with Ti cookware over Al cookware would be nearly meaningless if you added a Al bottom to a Ti pot. Case in point- the Snow Peak Trek pots. Why a Ti pot with a steel lid??? Makes no sense!

hadacol
04-17-2007, 19:07
no real need to - with a natural finish it is non reactive in anything you would eat. Aluminum is reactive but forms a thin, tight oxide layer - anodizing helps this natural process along. A tinted finish can be applied to either metal (and non-stick finish inside).

The strongest aluminum alloys are heat treated, but cooking kinda undoes that so cheap, basic and thick (metallurgically speaking) is more common for cookwear. Cooks better too.

The whole point is to spread the heat out along the surface of the pot. Thick, highly heat conductive layers of a copper or aluminum are used on the bottom of home cookwear to do this. Titanium is so effective at passing heat directly from the hottest part of the stove flame to the burned part of the meal that even a little bit of copper would make a difference (without tons of weight). The point is do what it takes to conduct heat, but make the structure of the pot out of something light and strong (i.e., not thick aluminum). A thicker aluminum disk on the bottom only would work too, the the problem is getting a good heat-conductive bond to the Ti.

Some day an enterprising gear manufacturer will figure out that we do not prefer burned food and work out a solution. In the meantime, I too am a ziplock cook.

Franco
04-17-2007, 19:20
Aluminum is a better heat conductor than titanium but because titanium is stronger the walls are usually made thinner therefore negating the advantage, hence the "can't tell the difference on a side by side test"
I only boil water ( usually add water to home dried meal or add meal to water , bring to boil and then cover Dutch oven style) so I use Titanium because it does not dent or deform like aluminum ( I tend to drop them, not on purpose)
If I was more into cooking, than I would use aluminum.
Franco

LostInSpace
04-18-2007, 00:01
You can devise a metal insert (Al foil, Ti cup, soda can, etc.) to make a double boiler out of the Ti pot. Eliminates sticking and burning.

grysmn
04-18-2007, 01:14
Titanium appears to be thinner, Aluminum is poor conductor, It appears that if you aren't a nuclear rocket scientist, you probily won't master the titanium cooking technique. If you happen to be a nuclear rocket scientist, due to titaniums better conductivity you will need less fuel and cook a given meal faster.

Franco
04-18-2007, 06:28
Wrong. The atomic weight of titanium is nearly twice that of aluminum. however because it is a lot stronger a typical pot made of titanium will have much thinner walls making it lighter.
Aluminum is a better heat conductor than titanium. The best heat conductor is silver, then copper. Titanium is way down the list.
Franco

Two Speed
04-18-2007, 06:48
I'd be interested in seeing a pot that has titanium walls and an aluminum bottom.That's gonna be a toughy. Different rates of expansion.
. . . Makes no sense!That's why we're gonna argue about it. :p

. . . Some day an enterprising gear manufacturer will figure out that we do not prefer burned food and work out a solution. In the meantime, I too am a ziplock cook.Umm, I use a Ti pot, a 1.3 L Evernew w/o the non-stick finish and rarely have a problem with sticking. Of course, I use the mesh bag the pot came in and an old watch cap to engage in impromptu cozy cooking, so we're basically pumping the same well. However, I will gladly accept your nomination as an "enterprising gear manufacturer" if I don't actually have to work at it or anything. :p
Titanium appears to be thinner, Aluminum is poor conductor, It appears that if you aren't a nuclear rocket scientist, you probily won't master the titanium cooking technique. If you happen to be a nuclear rocket scientist, due to titaniums better conductivity you will need less fuel and cook a given meal faster.On Planet Two Speed any relative gain in efficiency isn't worth the effort it would take to quantify it. Basically, if there's a lightweight pot that meets my volumetric requirements I can make it work. BTW, I think you may have the thermal conductivity backwards; Al is more efficient at transferring heat than Ti. I think the term in physics and chemistry is specific heat, but that memory is a bit foggy.

Marta
04-18-2007, 06:59
Maybe it is just me but I have a SnoPeak 600 ml titanium
mug and have never liked the taste of tea or coffee I have
made in it.Sorta tastes metallic.

If you want something that really tastes bad, try letting apple cider sit in an aluminum pot for a while. Twenty-five years later, my mouth starts to draw at the memory. I have never used aluminum for any sort of cooking since then.

I don't "cook" on the Trail anyway, I usually just boil water. But when I have cooked (i.e., made ramen noodles or Lipton sides), titanium works just fine.

Ditto what Sgt. Rock said--what works for you depends on your stove, what you're cooking, how many people you're cooking for, how much you eat, your budget, etc.

I've always shied away from having a metal drinking cup. I like the liquid to be hot and the cup to be cool enough that it won't burn my lips. Metal cups don't do that for me.

Marta/Five-Leaf

saimyoji
04-18-2007, 07:24
Oy vey....

Yep.......:rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
04-18-2007, 07:30
Weight and heat transfer are irrelevant. Titanium pots are more attractive and are more expensive so they are much preferred over other materials. I love my MRS Titan kettle, and it doesn't come in aluminum or steel because aluminum and steel just don't have the same "gear points" assigned to them. My pot is so cool I'm not allowed to use a spork.

Footslogger
04-18-2007, 09:02
[quote=Appalachian Tater;353928]Weight and heat transfer are irrelevant.

==================================

I agree. Titanium just "sounds" cooler !! Just check out how many outdoor sport areas that use the word TITANIUM to describe their gear ...and some of those don't even use actual titanium in the construction of their product.

'Slogger

Lanthar Mandragoran
04-18-2007, 10:04
If you want something that really tastes bad, try letting apple cider sit in an aluminum pot for a while. Twenty-five years later, my mouth starts to draw at the memory. I have never used aluminum for any sort of cooking since then.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Ewwwwww.....

LostInSpace
04-18-2007, 10:09
I've always shied away from having a metal drinking cup. I like the liquid to be hot and the cup to be cool enough that it won't burn my lips. Metal cups don't do that for me.

Roger that!
Supposedly, this is a problem with aluminum cups because they conduct heat more readily. Allegedly, the Sierra Cup does not cause this problem because it is made from stainless steel. I have heard that titanium cups don’t burn lips because they don’t conduct the heat as readily and the cup rim remains cool.
Can anybody that uses a titanium cup confirm this one way or the other? I have always used a lightweight plastic cup ever since I retired my Sierra Cup in 1978.

saimyoji
04-18-2007, 10:18
Roger that!
Supposedly, this is a problem with aluminum cups because they conduct heat more readily. Allegedly, the Sierra Cup does not cause this problem because it is made from stainless steel. I have heard that titanium cups don’t burn lips because they don’t conduct the heat as readily and the cup rim remains cool.
Can anybody that uses a titanium cup confirm this one way or the other?

Ti will burn your lips.

fonsie
04-18-2007, 12:49
Ok I have used aluminum, and stainles steel. Bye far my Titanium pot boils faster. It's liter and I like the non stick its got, makes clean up easier. I also have done a test on this and titanium heats and boils faster, but use what you want to use its your pockets and you have to carry whatever you get. I like my pot to be strong, light and cook my food quikly.

weary
04-18-2007, 13:53
If your aim is to just boil water, any pot material will work, even birch bark. But titanium -- and birch bark -- are terrible choices for cooking rice and pasta without wasting a lot of water, and taking the chance of dumping your supper trying to drain away excess water.

Aluminum is a pretty good compromise between price, weight and cooking ease, though at home I tend to go for cast iron, or copper clad stainless steel.

How do you cook with minimal water use? The basic formula is one unit of dried stuff, rice, pasta, oatmeal, etc. and two units of water. I usually add an ounce or two of extra water to make it easier to control the cooking without a lot of stirring -- and because I tend to be dehydrated on trails, and a little extra water helps a bit.

Weary

jlb2012
04-18-2007, 14:05
How do you cook with minimal water use? The basic formula is one unit of dried stuff, rice, pasta, oatmeal, etc. and two units of water. I usually add an ounce or two of extra water to make it easier to control the cooking without a lot of stirring -- and because I tend to be dehydrated on trails, and a little extra water helps a bit.

Weary

What I have found is that freezer bag cooking / ziplock cooking is the best for minimizing water use. Also saves on stirring - just stir once when adding the hot water.

Skidsteer
04-18-2007, 18:26

Marta/Five-Leaf

Roger that!
Can anybody that uses a titanium cup confirm this one way or the other? I have always used a lightweight plastic cup ever since I retired my Sierra Cup in 1978.

A twelve or sixteen ounce soda or beer can that measures 2 5/8" diameter can be burnt lip-proofed by cutting the top from a Campbell's Soup at Hand (http://www.campbellsoup.com/images/microwav_souphand.jpg) container and slipping it over the top. Perfect fit. The can in the attached photo weighs .65 oz. and hold sixteen fluid ounces

paulbrown137
04-18-2007, 19:04
I can't think of a better way to test a nonstick pot other than scrambling some eggs. Evernew ti .9L with a pocket rocket at 9k' turned out egg mush. I was franticly stirring the whole time on as low a heat as possible and I just kept ending up with dark brown strips of eggs. This is even with a nice big glob of butter melted on the bottom. I tried it again at sea level on a SP giga power with SP windscreen. Pretty much the same result but I didn't have to stir as much to produce a slightly lighter brown egg mush. So I thought ok, I guess I should just use it for boiling water. However, upon testing, because of the wider bottom (i guess), water boils just as fast with my $15 Primus Litech tea kettle on both my supercat and pocket rocket stoves. the 0.4 oz weight savings of the Evernew did not justify the $35 cost difference for me. Plus the primus kettle is smaller (shorter/wider), a stronger build, keeps water warm longer, and is just way better looking IMO :)

For cooking I will continue to use my MSR blacklite set. The small pot (still bigger than the evernew .9 at 1.5L) only weighs about 6oz with a foil lid and the small fry pan is even less. I have successfully fried an over medium egg on the pocket rocket in the blacklite frypan with no butter.

Anyway, after having an evernew non-stick as well as the ultralite for a couple of seasons, my conclusion has been they are not a good option for my hikes. They do well for boil and mix stuff like bagged soup, ramen, potato spuds, but any heated cooking / simmering and they fail badly. I've found myself at two extremes on my trips. Either light and fast just boiling water, or cooking pancakes, eggs, bacon in the morning, and sausages, pasta at night. So 'for me' titanium is not all that its cracked up to be by the outdoor retailers.

weary
04-18-2007, 19:24
What I have found is that freezer bag cooking / ziplock cooking is the best for minimizing water use. Also saves on stirring - just stir once when adding the hot water.
Well, that certainly works with Lipton sides and quick cooking rice and stuff. But it doesn't work with with the cheap, unprocessed rice, and generic pastas. Natural rice requires 20 minutes of cooking, pastas 10-12 mostly. Freezer bag cooking is certainly more convenient. But it is also three or four times -- or more -- more expensive.

My goal is to use the cheapest -- and most nutritious food available -- and to minimize the cost so that I can contribute the maximum amounts possible to my three land trusts, and to political candidates that most reflex my goals.

That's the choice, I suspect, we all face. Convenience vs maximum contributions to the world that we live in.

To each his own. My choice is to forgo convenience, and to maximize my contributions to the future of the world.

Weary

Skidsteer
04-18-2007, 19:31
Well, that certainly works with Lipton sides and quick cooking rice and stuff. But it doesn't work with with the cheap, unprocessed rice, and generic pastas. Natural rice requires 20 minutes of cooking, pastas 10-12 mostly.
Weary

It works just fine with generic pastas. I fix it 3-4 nights per week on the road.

You're right about the rice, though. That's a different story altogether.

Slosteppin
04-18-2007, 19:44
Ti will burn your lips.

I have a TI cup that I use for coffee. I tried it at home first. Didn't get burned but close enough.
I put a piece of black electrician's tape around the outside top. Solved the problem for me. Problem remains that it still cools off quicker than a plastic cup. It is much lighter than any plastic cup I have.

Slosteppin

Dances with Mice
04-18-2007, 20:24
I hope all those who plan their menus to save the world are only eating organic locally grown free trade certified rice and pastas.

They give me the strength to go to work and arrange logistics for clear cutting boreal rain forests to process into toilet paper.

Spork
04-18-2007, 20:25
I found that painting black didn't help any measurable amount.

No, but it makes your cookpot look slimmer plus it accessorizes well with pearls...

My pot is so cool I'm not allowed to use a spork.

Surely you must have meant to say "My pot is so cool I'm only allowed to use a spork"...:D

saimyoji
04-18-2007, 22:12
I have a TI cup that I use for coffee. I tried it at home first. Didn't get burned but close enough.

Glad you didn't have to burn yourself in the interest of solving this great dilemma. :D

Critterman
04-19-2007, 00:05
Oldfivetango

Alot of hip implants are made of titanium. I believe it is considered inert in the body.

Appalachian Tater
04-19-2007, 00:49
Alot of hip implants are made of titanium. I believe it is considered inert in the body.

A lot of implants are made of titanium alloys. I have a titanium plate and a bunch of $300 titanium screws in my neck.