PDA

View Full Version : Need some honest advice

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 21:50
OK, here is the situation...

I am getting to the point retirement from the Army cannot come fast enough, nor can the thru-hike. My plan has been to retire "officially" 1 July 2008, but start terminal leave and such on 22 March and start walking that weekend. Now what I am thinking of doing is submitting my retirement in a couple of weeks to get out 1 May 2008 - but this means moving my hike start to the left as we say.

So, with leave and all, I could retire 25 January next year, and start walking a week later - the 3rd of February. That seems awful early for a start to me. I know I can probably hack the weather in most conditions, but I'm afraid it might mean taking more days off - enforced zeros. The plan would be to give myself about 24 weeks (168 days) from start to finish which would mean I would probably finish around the 19th of July. And because Army retirement cannot be lived on, I would have to start working again somewhere around 4 August.

I know I can do it if I really put my mind into it. But honestly I don't know if I should push a start date that early in the year. That is about 1.5 months earlier than I originally planned on. I always get good advice from the WhiteBlazers - so honest critical thinking is asked for.

Thanks for your time.

Alligator
04-16-2007, 21:58
Do you enjoy hiking in February?

Lugnut
04-16-2007, 21:58
In the whole scheme of things a month doesn't carry much weight. Start your hike, and return to work, a month later, then you'll be back on your schedule. Things can't be that tight. Good grief, you have to be making a fortune just from this site not to mention your stove business! :D

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 21:59
Does money figure in the equation? From your Army pension I mean.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 22:07
Do you enjoy hiking in February?

I enjoy hiking any time. I've hiked through ice storms, freezzing rain, and a foot of snow. The problem is I also plan to be solo on the BMT where if I get in trouble, I am totally on my own.

In the whole scheme of things a month doesn't carry much weight. Start your hike, and return to work, a month later, then you'll be back on your schedule. Things can't be that tight. Good grief, you have to be making a fortune just from this site not to mention your stove business! :D

RIGHT. I don't get anything from the site. And the stove money (what little their is) basically ends up as donations to BMTA, ATC, etc. That and tools/materials. LOL

Does money figure in the equation? From your Army pension I mean.
Sort of. For Feb, Mar, and April I will be paid by the Army full salary to hike (can't beat that). After that though we lose over half the pay check we are accustomed to living on. The issue is keeping the lights, heat, and food going for my family back in Tennessee.

From my pension I will be making good money. We also have some savings we are putting back, and everything we own should be paid off except the house. Dixicritter said she will get a job too while I am on the trail to help with income. Now all that said, I consider my hike to be a selfish thing, and I don't want my family to have to suffer for my dream for the three months we will be at reduced salary. When I get off the trail I will still have to go find a job, so it could actually last longer that three months. I would love to have my job lined up before I leave, but that is not anything I can count on. So hiking as few months as possible with them supporting me is the optimal solution.

Bilko
04-16-2007, 22:10
Rock, just make sure you have all the correct number of years you need for retirement. Make sure you see the paper work. Many guys have gotten out only to find that they were just short of 20 years.

What are you thinking? Starting on Ground Hog Day? Why?
Don't do it. Give yourself more time before taking off.
St. Patrick's Day or later. Sgt. Bilko

Footslogger
04-16-2007, 22:12
Rock ...you drive a hard bargain !!

I've met you and understand your resolve. Personally, I think you CAN do it. But the question I would ask is ...do you really want to do it THAT WAY ??

An early February departure could, and I repeat could, slow you down at first. Added to that you are giving yourself 168 days to cover 2,175 miles which is an average of almost 13 miles per day.

This is something you've been looking forward to for a VERY long time and you owe it to yourself to make it the experience of a lifetime.

That's as honest as I can be ...

'Slogger

fiddlehead
04-16-2007, 22:40
I drove 2 friends down to Springer in Feb. of '93. It was a beautiful, warm sunny day when they started their hike. They were experienced winter campers back home in PA.
Turned out they ran out of money after about 500 miles because the weather turned cold and even though they had experience in the cold, they weren't having fun. so, they started spending the colder days in hotels and by the time they got to Damascus, they had spent the bulk of their money. They said later that a month later start would have made a lot more sense.
personally, i like to walk, (all day) and cold or light rain or snow doesn't bother me as much, but these too guys like to party and hang around the fire. I think if you walk till you are so tired that you want to just eat and sleep, you'll be fine, but is that how you want your hike to be?
just my 2 cents.
Perhaps spending that month off dehyrating food, putting together some awesome Indian or Thai food dishes that would require little prep would make your hike a lot more enjoyable.
I don't think a thru-hike should be rushed. Cause as soon as you are finished, you are trying to find time to do another one anyway.

map man
04-16-2007, 22:48
Put all the money in savings you can between now and next year. There's no reason you or your family has to live paycheck to paycheck now or during your hike. I know -- easier said than done, but I've found when I have an important goal out there saving becomes easier. The extra savings would buy you some time, to either start later or have more days to hike.

And obviously you know a lot more than I do about the odds of being redeployed yet again if you wait until July 1, 2008 to retire. With that said, I would retire the couple of months earlier, May 1, to be on the safe side. Seems like with an increase in troop levels, tours need to be lengthened or the number of months or years between tours need to be shortened, or both. How long was it between tours for you last time?

To paraphrase Red Green: "We're all in this together. I'm pullin' for ya.":)

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 22:50
Rock, just make sure you have all the correct number of years you need for retirement. Make sure you see the paper work. Many guys have gotten out only to find that they were just short of 20 years.

What are you thinking? Starting on Ground Hog Day? Why?
Don't do it. Give yourself more time before taking off.
St. Patrick's Day or later. Sgt. Bilko

I have 21 years and almost 8 months now. By the time I finsih I will have 22 years, 8 months, and 11 days of active federal service.

Rock ...you drive a hard bargain !!

I've met you and understand your resolve. Personally, I think you CAN do it. But the question I would ask is ...do you really want to do it THAT WAY ??

And that is really a good question, and sort of the issue. I can guarentee (almost) that I can put my retirement in in a couple of weeks and get it aproved. 2 months from now I can't.

An early February departure could, and I repeat could, slow you down at first. Added to that you are giving yourself 168 days to cover 2,175 miles which is an average of almost 13 miles per day.
Actually since I am opting to got the BMT for the first part it is more like 2226.7 miles, and I was figuring in for about 24 zero days (4 per month) so that means I have to average 15.9 per day. The good thing is I already have the trail legs for that sort of mileage now (I did some 16 mile days in the Smokies recently) so if I contine to prep between now and then I can be ready to start at 17 mile days.

This is something you've been looking forward to for a VERY long time and you owe it to yourself to make it the experience of a lifetime.

That's as honest as I can be ...

'Slogger
I agree. And I am thinking that there are options here. I have done hikes in the cold before. So I could take the first 4 weeks and section stuff around home. Then once It gets closer to real Spring, I can totally commit and go from where ever I end up at. I figure 4 weeks of sectioning will get me to about Erwin, then I can say goodbye to the family from Erwin. At least that is one possible strategy anyway. Another would be to allot myself another month to work the trip where Dixiecritter has to support me. That is another decision to make...

But the other point. I have been waiting years for this, and there is a good possibility if I don't start movement now, I could end up having to wait many more years to go - if I live that long LOL.

Lilred
04-16-2007, 22:55
Rock,
Here's what I'd do. I'd wait till about mid-March to 1st of April even. Like previously posted, you'll spend a lot of hike money on snow days in town, money you're trying to save. Also, if you wait closer to spring, you'll have more beauty in your hike as the wildflowers and such bloom. You'll miss a lot of that starting too early. If you want to get out sooner, go ahead, and spend some time at home before the hike.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 22:55
I drove 2 friends down to Springer in Feb. of '93. It was a beautiful, warm sunny day when they started their hike. They were experienced winter campers back home in PA.
Turned out they ran out of money after about 500 miles because the weather turned cold and even though they had experience in the cold, they weren't having fun. so, they started spending the colder days in hotels and by the time they got to Damascus, they had spent the bulk of their money. They said later that a month later start would have made a lot more sense.
personally, i like to walk, (all day) and cold or light rain or snow doesn't bother me as much, but these too guys like to party and hang around the fire. I think if you walk till you are so tired that you want to just eat and sleep, you'll be fine, but is that how you want your hike to be?
just my 2 cents.
Perhaps spending that month off dehyrating food, putting together some awesome Indian or Thai food dishes that would require little prep would make your hike a lot more enjoyable.
I don't think a thru-hike should be rushed. Cause as soon as you are finished, you are trying to find time to do another one anyway.
Well that is a good point to. One advantage I have though is I live 3 hours from anywhere on the trail between Springer and Damascus. So if I had to bail for weather, I could just have my family come pick me up and save the hotel rates.

But add to that, if I do some 2-3 days sections between Springer and Erwin for that first month, then I can continue to do prep stuff at home every week until I actually start. Hmmmm....

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 22:56
Put all the money in savings you can between now and next year. There's no reason you or your family has to live paycheck to paycheck now or during your hike. I know -- easier said than done, but I've found when I have an important goal out there saving becomes easier. The extra savings would buy you some time, to either start later or have more days to hike.

And we have been doing that. We do have savings and a mutual fund started years ago with this hike in mind. The thing is I would like to keep that savings in tact if possible.

And obviously you know a lot more than I do about the odds of being redeployed yet again if you wait until July 1, 2008 to retire. With that said, I would retire the couple of months earlier, May 1, to be on the safe side. Seems like with an increase in troop levels, tours need to be lengthened or the number of months or years between tours need to be shortened, or both. How long was it between tours for you last time?

To paraphrase Red Green: "We're all in this together. I'm pullin' ya.":)
Yes, there is a very good possibility if I do not move now, I may get moved. If you know what I mean...

Tin Man
04-16-2007, 22:57
Sarge, this is the BIG ONE that you have dreamed about for a long time. Do it the way you have envisioned and want to remember it. The rest will take care of itself.

nhalbrook
04-16-2007, 23:06
Have you considered doing this as a series of annual section hikes? Possibly then followed by a Thru some years down the road.

Make out a monthly annual budget for your expenses at home and compare with your income. Be sure to include those once a year hits from school and property taxes that must be paid right away. Also get your hands around your family health insurance costs. What about tax refunds?

While the retirement is not a king's ransome ca$2Gs/mo for 3 months should be manageable especially if you can save some from your full income between now and then to help provide some financial cover. Might be your supportive wife could even stay at home with the children!

Have you considered staying in the service and becoming an officer. Your posts indicate to me that you would make a good one.

Best wishes.

Mongoose2
04-16-2007, 23:11
Sarge

Retired USAF guy here....from the military angle, I put in my retirement papers one day before a stop loss was implemented...one day!! If you are going to drop your papers keep that in mind. By the way I live an hour north of Atlanta.....the winter weather can be brutal, for me not fun. Good luck brother.

Mongoose

Smile
04-16-2007, 23:16
Sgt Rock,
My .02
Don't go so early, relax a bit and focus on the hike without the rush out the door after retirement. Absorb, savor, reflect, then enjoy the journey that will be your hike!
:)

nhalbrook
04-16-2007, 23:17
Given the following just do it!

Commitment

Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
Concerning all acts of initiative and creation there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans. That the moment one commits oneself, then providence moves too, all sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred.
A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way.
W N Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition - 1951.

Earl Grey
04-16-2007, 23:22
What about keeping the original retirement date and then going SOBO? Or are you set on going NOBO?

camich
04-16-2007, 23:31
Good Luck in whatever you decide. I would go with your original plan just because the weather will be better. My hubby and I are both retired AF and we both want to thru hike (together) but we have to wait...youngest is in 6th grade. It'll be great whenever you decide to start!!!

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 23:37
Sarge, this is the BIG ONE that you have dreamed about for a long time. Do it the way you have envisioned and want to remember it. The rest will take care of itself.

I do sort of just take things as they come. I am inclined to start whenever I can and play it as I go.

Have you considered doing this as a series of annual section hikes? Possibly then followed by a Thru some years down the road.

Make out a monthly annual budget for your expenses at home and compare with your income. Be sure to include those once a year hits from school and property taxes that must be paid right away. Also get your hands around your family health insurance costs. What about tax refunds?

While the retirement is not a king's ransome ca$2Gs/mo for 3 months should be manageable especially if you can save some from your full income between now and then to help provide some financial cover. Might be your supportive wife could even stay at home with the children!

Have you considered staying in the service and becoming an officer. Your posts indicate to me that you would make a good one.

Best wishes.

I am a little old for getting a commission, but thanks for the compliment.

But on the other hand after the last round of comments I have been thinking sort of along these lines. More to follow..

Sarge

Retired USAF guy here....from the military angle, I put in my retirement papers one day before a stop loss was implemented...one day!! If you are going to drop your papers keep that in mind. By the way I live an hour north of Atlanta.....the winter weather can be brutal, for me not fun. Good luck brother.

Mongoose

You know where I am coming from. I see the train on the tracks.

Sgt Rock,
My .02
Don't go so early, relax a bit and focus on the hike without the rush out the door after retirement. Absorb, savor, reflect, then enjoy the journey that will be your hike!
:)
I plan to.

OK, with those responses out of the way, some of y'all got me thinking about sections. So new thought based on that...

I have done all the AT from Springer to Clingman's dome, and plan to take three days this summer to finish Clingman to Davenport Gap so I have that section done - because I am going to use the BMT at the start.

Add to that I am now at about 500 miles already sectioned on the AT. So, that said...

Febuary 3rd to whenever I finish, knock out 95 miles of the BMT, take about a week off at home and then go back and knock out another 95 miles. Take a week off at home again and then go back and knock out another 95 miles. In a month or so I should have that done the entire BMT. Now between Davenport Gap and Sinking Creek Valley I have already done about 170 miles. So I need about 190 miles or so in there which is about 2 weeks of section hiking. By then It should be spring and I can just start at that point in VA, that means I have April, May, June, and half of July to knock out about 1460 miles.

Wanderingson
04-16-2007, 23:45
Rock,

I see several questions/concerns.

First and foremost is your timing on the retirement. That is always a major issue when calculating the terminal leave issue.

Start date would be completely up to your confidence in being able to deal with some of the EXTENDED brutal winter mountain weather. I've seen many a good folk jump off trail because the weather kicked them in the teeth. I'm sure you are facoting this into your plan.

I'm sure you are factoring in the additional time you will need to do final preparations prior to heading out for 168 days. JUst like any deployment, you will need to take care of issues on the homefront prior to heading out. Yes, you know those little issues that come up unexpectedly that could distract you from your hike. Factor these into your prep time as well.

Selecting an actual retirement date is a huge mind boggler. I know it was for me. I had every intend of being able to jump right out on the trail when I retired after 26 years, but things took a little twist for me. The window of opportunity opened for a very respectable contract offer here in Kuwait. This is now putting me in a solid position finacially so that when I do jump out on the trail I will not be pre-occupied by financial worries of the future. The additional time I have invested by taking this particular job has postponed my hike, but will set me up for the future. I know this doesn't really help with you questions, but thought I would throw it out to stimulate a little thought.

As far as the job market when you come off the trail, you have many marketable skills. Start working some of your current connections now. I think you will be completely amazed at what you bring to the fight in the job market. Come to think of it, you do have a very eloquent way of written communication. Consider a little writting to sell your stories. I have yet to see anything written from a seasoned combat veteran and how some of our skills in the military have allowed us to to enjoy the great outdoors and more importantly share this with others. You do it day-in and day out right here on this forum as well as your site. Just a little thing to consider.

Good luck my friend.

ozt42
04-17-2007, 00:27
I would say stick to the origional plan and enjoy better weather, but there is always the possibility of waiting too long and getting screwed into another deployment to somewhere unpleasant...

digger51
04-17-2007, 00:37
Rock...a retired army finance and accounting officer here. When making your plans check with finance and see the different options and how they effect your money. Working longer will keep more coming in monthly and give more leave to cash in on retirement. Working and terminal leave used to be paid at full rate plus allowances, while leave cashed in only pays base pay. By working that extra month or two you can make more per month and then also cash in those many days leave if you have them accrued. I worked up to 30 days from retirement and cashed in 2 months leave. the extra pay was nice to start out with.

pyroman53
04-17-2007, 00:38
Seems like conventional wisdom is - starting early often doesn't get you finished early.

Why not retire early as you say you can, and try to snag some employment for the colder month or two and then start the hike. You have some time between now and then to find an opportunity. Make some extra cash and then head out when the weather warms.

Anything's possible for a few prime months. Heck, I know a guy who's making $100+ a day in tips as a pool boy...won't be there for long, but Feb and March are the months to make money at the pool in Phoenix. Its just one example...Resorts in Florida? South Carolina? Spring Break? A man of your obvious ingenuity and character would be welcome in many situations.

Then go and live the dream man!

Pokey2006
04-17-2007, 00:46
That's a good idea -- any potential for temp work in your area??? Maybe pick up a few bucks from Feb. to the end of March, in between your retirement and the start of your thru? Then you could spend a little time with family before heading out on your hike, still retire as early as possible and be able to relax and enjoy your hike.

cutman11
04-17-2007, 02:16
I agree with the last couple posts -- no need to "link" your retirement date with your hiking start day. You could retire as planned, and if you like, "live off" a half pay until you start your hike(save the other half for when you are gone and the pay is reduced to half). If you find you need added income, then you are there to pick up the diff doing odd jobs or temp employment. That way, you 1. retire as planned before they change the rules, 2. get to do your hike as you originally planned starting later, and 3. Perhaps the Missus would have a bit easier time when you are gone, maybe even not needing to work etc. as you will have the "saved" half pay to go with the half pay that comes in.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-17-2007, 05:36
Rock, I think you and the male dino have already discussed the retirement options and such. If not, I'll leave the discussion of such things to him as he knows far more than I do about such things.

As for starting in early February, I wouldn't recommend it for three reasons.

You will likely have many zeros & neros due to weather and end up spending a bundle on unwanted & unexpected town stays.
You plan to hike the BMT which will not be used much during February and March. If you do run into trouble, you will be on-your-own.
You just won't enjoy the hike as much if you are freezing you tushie off and the lasting joy is in the journey.Several have mentioned doing some temp work and opportunities do exist for this in the area. Be upfront with the agency about your plans and they will likely place you in a factory setting doing something really exciting like sorting parts or in shipping and receiving. It will be manual labor, but that is good thing as you need to stay physically ready for your hike. I recommend registering with Staffing Solutions off 321 in the industrial park - they place for Denso and several other large factories in that industrial park, Forks of the River and the one in Vonore. Manpower places in Forks of the River.

With your background in training, another option is substitute teaching. If you want to go there, apply early enough for them to get the mandatory background check done before you retire. (no one from the group W bench allowed :D)

Pokey2006
04-17-2007, 05:54
Doing temp work, especially in a factory like she says, will also give you a taste of the post-Army life. Get a feel for that for a month or two, then you can go hiking and think hard about what you REALLY want to do when you grow up!

Two Speed
04-17-2007, 05:58
I agree with the last couple posts -- no need to "link" your retirement date with your hiking start day. . .Sounds like good, common sense there. Also, if the part time/temporary gig leaves some time to hike you could do some section hikes in between to get things started. If you were really lucky and the weather gods were kind you might be able to pick up some good weather. I doubt anyone has to tell you how beautiful the views are in the south when the leaves are down and the weather's cooperating.

If you were extraordinarily lucky you might be able to sync it up with some school holidays, and then the boys could come along for part of it, too. Maybe even get Dixie out for a section or two?

No suggestions really, just trying to expand on what sounds like a really good option.

Either way, Happy Trails. If anyone's earned it you have.

generoll
04-17-2007, 06:11
move your retirement up as far as feasible and get out. then do your trail plans according to what the weather presents. i understand wanting to link the two, retirement and hiking, but it seems to me that the retirement issue holds more variables then the hike. don't wait around and find that you've got yet another deployment to deal with which freezes your retirement plans.

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2007, 07:17
Take the earlier retirement. Spend a week or two doing nothing but relaxing and spending time with your wife. Then start by hiking the Pinhoti Trail up to the A.T. That way you get to hike more and still enjoy the winter season without being subject to quite so much bad weather.

This on the general principle of "sooner rather than later" because you never know what life will bring.

Lone Wolf
04-17-2007, 07:19
wait till the 3rd week of march.

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 09:06
Yes, there is a very good possibility if I do not move now, I may get moved. If you know what I mean...

=====================================

Rock ...not living close to the trail can be a hassle but it's not a huge obstacle.

In 2002 we were living in Atlanta (Marietta) and I was putting my 2003 thru hike plans in place. My wife finished grad school and was offered a teaching position at the Univ of Wyoming and by August we were out here chasing antelope. I kept the dream alive and come March 2003 I made my way back to Springer and headed north.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 09:55
Rock,

I see several questions/concerns.

First and foremost is your timing on the retirement. That is always a major issue when calculating the terminal leave issue.

Start date would be completely up to your confidence in being able to deal with some of the EXTENDED brutal winter mountain weather. I've seen many a good folk jump off trail because the weather kicked them in the teeth. I'm sure you are facoting this into your plan.
Absolutly. Trying to figure out how to do this safely and have fun. The thing is I live in the area and know you can have a week or two of good hiking weather and then get a week or two of bad weather. I think with most folks the problem is they have to get off and stay off. And since they are not local to the area, that means town stays and bills. In this regard I have an advantage since I can get home from anywhere on the first 1/4th of the trail in about 3 hours or less. This really means two things:

If I am at home in febuary and the 10 day outlook looks good, then I can jump down to the trail for a 10 day section hike. If it looks good for a 3 day hike, I can plan a three day section. If it looks bad I can stay home. And if I get out there and it does get bad, then I head down to low ground and call my local shuttle provider ;) (love ya honey)

I'm sure you are factoring in the additional time you will need to do final preparations prior to heading out for 168 days. JUst like any deployment, you will need to take care of issues on the homefront prior to heading out. Yes, you know those little issues that come up unexpectedly that could distract you from your hike. Factor these into your prep time as well.
Yep, that is why my family is involved in all aspects of this. They are more important than the hike.

Selecting an actual retirement date is a huge mind boggler. I know it was for me. I had every intend of being able to jump right out on the trail when I retired after 26 years, but things took a little twist for me. The window of opportunity opened for a very respectable contract offer here in Kuwait. This is now putting me in a solid position finacially so that when I do jump out on the trail I will not be pre-occupied by financial worries of the future. The additional time I have invested by taking this particular job has postponed my hike, but will set me up for the future. I know this doesn't really help with you questions, but thought I would throw it out to stimulate a little thought.

As far as the job market when you come off the trail, you have many marketable skills. Start working some of your current connections now. I think you will be completely amazed at what you bring to the fight in the job market. Come to think of it, you do have a very eloquent way of written communication. Consider a little writting to sell your stories. I have yet to see anything written from a seasoned combat veteran and how some of our skills in the military have allowed us to to enjoy the great outdoors and more importantly share this with others. You do it day-in and day out right here on this forum as well as your site. Just a little thing to consider.

Good luck my friend.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am now putting together my resume and I am networking with local employers. I consider job hunting another mission just like a deployment or a hike. There is a plan developing. That said, I can say with about 90% certainty I am not ready to go back to the middle east anytime soon LOL.

I would say stick to the origional plan and enjoy better weather, but there is always the possibility of waiting too long and getting screwed into another deployment to somewhere unpleasant...
yep. That is one reason for moving this all up. I hate to sound like a coward or something, but I think I may have used up a lot of my luck this last time.

Rock...a retired army finance and accounting officer here. When making your plans check with finance and see the different options and how they effect your money. Working longer will keep more coming in monthly and give more leave to cash in on retirement. Working and terminal leave used to be paid at full rate plus allowances, while leave cashed in only pays base pay. By working that extra month or two you can make more per month and then also cash in those many days leave if you have them accrued. I worked up to 30 days from retirement and cashed in 2 months leave. the extra pay was nice to start out with.
Yes, and I don't plan to cash any in. The plan (I left this out since most people won't get it) is to submit my packet on the 1st of May for retirement next May. I will get 20 days PTDY and have lots and lots of leave saved up. I plan to take maximum leave, which is 60 + the earned, which should equal about 17 days. So I will have 97 days between start of leave and actual retirement of full pay and benifits while I hike.

That said, the original plan was to wait until July to submit the same basic plan. The problem is there are things afoot which could make waiting 2 months a bad idea. I would rather lose that two months than get stuck another 3-4 years.

Seems like conventional wisdom is - starting early often doesn't get you finished early.
Absolute agreement in that.

Why not retire early as you say you can, and try to snag some employment for the colder month or two and then start the hike. You have some time between now and then to find an opportunity. Make some extra cash and then head out when the weather warms.
That is a possibility. So far the only solid job offer I got wouldn't do much for that though.

Anything's possible for a few prime months. Heck, I know a guy who's making $100+ a day in tips as a pool boy...won't be there for long, but Feb and March are the months to make money at the pool in Phoenix. Its just one example...Resorts in Florida? South Carolina? Spring Break? A man of your obvious ingenuity and character would be welcome in many situations.

Then go and live the dream man!

Thanks for the encouragement.

That's a good idea -- any potential for temp work in your area??? Maybe pick up a few bucks from Feb. to the end of March, in between your retirement and the start of your thru? Then you could spend a little time with family before heading out on your hike, still retire as early as possible and be able to relax and enjoy your hike.
I will be looking into that on the job hunt.

I agree with the last couple posts -- no need to "link" your retirement date with your hiking start day. You could retire as planned, and if you like, "live off" a half pay until you start your hike(save the other half for when you are gone and the pay is reduced to half). If you find you need added income, then you are there to pick up the diff doing odd jobs or temp employment. That way, you 1. retire as planned before they change the rules, 2. get to do your hike as you originally planned starting later, and 3. Perhaps the Missus would have a bit easier time when you are gone, maybe even not needing to work etc. as you will have the "saved" half pay to go with the half pay that comes in.

That could work. The only real issue is we are making extra payments up until the actual retirement date to have the cars, credit cards, and other loans paid off before we hit that day where the pay cuts in half.

Rock, I think you and the male dino have already discussed the retirement options and such. If not, I'll leave the discussion of such things to him as he knows far more than I do about such things.

As for starting in early February, I wouldn't recommend it for three reasons.

You will likely have many zeros & neros due to weather and end up spending a bundle on unwanted & unexpected town stays.
You plan to hike the BMT which will not be used much during February and March. If you do run into trouble, you will be on-your-own.
You just won't enjoy the hike as much if you are freezing you tushie off and the lasting joy is in the journey.Several have mentioned doing some temp work and opportunities do exist for this in the area. Be upfront with the agency about your plans and they will likely place you in a factory setting doing something really exciting like sorting parts or in shipping and receiving. It will be manual labor, but that is good thing as you need to stay physically ready for your hike. I recommend registering with Staffing Solutions off 321 in the industrial park - they place for Denso and several other large factories in that industrial park, Forks of the River and the one in Vonore. Manpower places in Forks of the River.

With your background in training, another option is substitute teaching. If you want to go there, apply early enough for them to get the mandatory background check done before you retire. (no one from the group W bench allowed :D)
Those are good ideas for places to look. I will put them on the list of places to apply.

Doing temp work, especially in a factory like she says, will also give you a taste of the post-Army life. Get a feel for that for a month or two, then you can go hiking and think hard about what you REALLY want to do when you grow up!
LOL, good point.

Sounds like good, common sense there. Also, if the part time/temporary gig leaves some time to hike you could do some section hikes in between to get things started. If you were really lucky and the weather gods were kind you might be able to pick up some good weather. I doubt anyone has to tell you how beautiful the views are in the south when the leaves are down and the weather's cooperating.

If you were extraordinarily lucky you might be able to sync it up with some school holidays, and then the boys could come along for part of it, too. Maybe even get Dixie out for a section or two?

No suggestions really, just trying to expand on what sounds like a really good option.

Either way, Happy Trails. If anyone's earned it you have.
Yes, well that is actually a part of this plan. I have picked out some sections to take the family on that will help close up some gaps of mileage so that there are some stretches that I can skip when I do hike next year.

move your retirement up as far as feasible and get out. then do your trail plans according to what the weather presents. i understand wanting to link the two, retirement and hiking, but it seems to me that the retirement issue holds more variables then the hike. don't wait around and find that you've got yet another deployment to deal with which freezes your retirement plans.
Actually this is another thing we were talking about today. I think it would be better to retire, hike as I can, and take the chance I may not get to finish the entire trail next year because of needing a JOB or something than to wait another 2 months, get stop-lossed, get assigned to a UA for another 3 year lock in, and then going to Iraq another one or two trips in all that time.

Take the earlier retirement. Spend a week or two doing nothing but relaxing and spending time with your wife. Then start by hiking the Pinhoti Trail up to the A.T. That way you get to hike more and still enjoy the winter season without being subject to quite so much bad weather.

This on the general principle of "sooner rather than later" because you never know what life will bring.
I once would have bidded my time, but now I am tending to agree with that.

wait till the 3rd week of march.
That was the original plan. Maybe by the 3rd week of March I will have sectioned everything up to Pearisburg and only need a shuttle from some local in Virginia. Know any shuttle providers?

=====================================

Rock ...not living close to the trail can be a hassle but it's not a huge obstacle.

In 2002 we were living in Atlanta (Marietta) and I was putting my 2003 thru hike plans in place. My wife finished grad school and was offered a teaching position at the Univ of Wyoming and by August we were out here chasing antelope. I kept the dream alive and come March 2003 I made my way back to Springer and headed north.

'Slogger
Well I think if I get moved, it will be a lot farther than some place that is just inconvinent to get to the trail from. More likely it will end up being somewhere hot, dry, and unfriendly.

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 10:11
Well I think if I get moved, it will be a lot farther than some place that is just inconvinent to get to the trail from. More likely it will end up being somewhere hot, dry, and unfriendly.

===========================================

So then ...they'd reassign you to Wyoming ?? I'll start laying out some hikes for us.

'Slogger

Sarge
04-17-2007, 10:49
Rock,
I don't have much advice to give you since so much good advice has already been given, but I can relate to you completely since I went through a lot of the same things back in 2001 that you are going through right now. I submitted my papers in June 2001 for a June 2002 retirement - starting terminal leave on Mar 1st, 2002 and hitting the trail on Mar 9th. Then came 9/11! Stop loss kicked in and I didn't know what was going to happen. I still planned on a hike so I would at least be ready if I was allowed to retire on time. I got released from stop loss at the end of January! Talk about suspense. However, I had to rework my plan a little. I was going through all the things you are thinking now about making sure my family was taken care of, etc. We had put back money in the bank, but it was going to be a little too close for me to be out 3 months past my last active duty paycheck only having 3 months of terminal leave. I came to the conclusion that a 3 month section hike was probably the best thing in that situation. I did a 3 month section and was home starting a job on June 17th right after my official retirement date. Did I feel like I could have continued to hike? You bet I could have! I did over 1100 miles and felt great. I felt like I could have walked to Canada and kept going. I was having a great time and felt great. Was I a little depressed that I had to stop when I did? Sure I was, but I was greatful for being able to do what I did. Now God has rewarded me with the ability to finish the trail this summer. I have already been officially notified that I will be layed off on May 4th. I've known this was coming for almost 2 years. My wife suggested I go finish the trail this year. We've had time to set ourselves up financially for this so right now everything is a go for me to hit the trail on May 16th where I left off in Pa. The moral of this whole story? Sometimes things may not go the way you wished or planned them, but it will all work itself out in the end.

Sarge

icemanat95
04-17-2007, 11:15
I wouldn't do it Sarge. As this "spring" proves, the weather can be golrawn weird this time of year and starting so early exposes you to a lot more weirdness. Even if you can hack the cold and wet, all it takes to thoroughly FUBAR your hike is a patch of ice and a bad step. Putting yourself into a schedule that virtually guarantees much more ice, snow and generally nasty weather is just stacking the odds against yourself.

Seeing that you are a Cav guy rather than a SpecOps type, I know you have a strong streak of common sense. If it's telling you that leaving early is putting too much pressure on the situation, you should listen to it.

Mags
04-17-2007, 13:05
Winter backpacking can be magical. I've enjoyed the scenery, the crisp air, being out in nature when few other people are there.

But, I find it is enjoyable for a weekend or so at the most. When I know there will soon be a car waiting for me at the trail head and a hot shower, hot food and a warm bed waiting for me.

I think an early Feb start will put in winter conditions for the first month. I am sure you can do it...but do you WANT to do it? No leisurely breaks. You will be walking all day to stay warm. Basically you are not on your schedule, but Ma Nature's schedule.

If you honestly enjoy the challenge of winter camping for a month (unless it is warm..it could happen, but I would not count on it), waiting a month or so will probably make the experience more enjoyable overall.

Of course, there is th financial angle.

Only you can decide what is neccessary for your hike and your family's well being.

Good luck!

dixicritter
04-17-2007, 13:08
I keep telling him that we'll get through this. I really think that the plan of him getting out of the Army ASAP is the best for us. And him taking any job in the middle east is definately OUT of the question.... PERIOD. I have spoken. ;) I don't care how many figures are attached to the salary. :p

As for the hiking plan... the option that sounded sanest (that's a word right?) to me was the one where he sections down here below VA, when the weather permits, then in spring (mid March I think we discussed) I drop him off a little north of Damascus and send him on his way to Katadin. Well it made sense to me anyway, of course I was half asleep last night when we were talking about it. LOL.

I keep telling him to stop worrying so much, but he doesn't listen to me.

Tin Man
04-17-2007, 13:38

I hope he hasn't been sniveling! ;)

Quoddy
04-17-2007, 13:53
I made the decision to retire as soon as I reached the magic 20. No sooner had I processed that paperwork, than doubt began to creep in, and I actually tried to stop the process...too late. I loved every minute of my 20 and had decided to leave so that I wasn't, basically, working for half pay beyond. The way of life and the comradery are hard to beat and you'll miss it in the civilian world, but life changes and goes on.

Based on my experience, I'd say go for the hike at the earliest opportunity, whenever that might be. Once a distraction or job offer enters the picture it's going to be very difficult to stick to the plan that you have mapped out now. As the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It", don't wait.

Grinder
04-17-2007, 14:30
I would concentrate on the retirement.

To quote a song:

"Slip out the back, Jack
No need to be coy, Roy.
Just get yourself free!!"

The way the Iraq thing is going, it will keep getting harder and harder to do. The rules seem to be guidelines to be changed at will. I'm 66 and kind of open the mailbox carefully, for fear of an "old guy recall"

Regarding the hike:

I know you're a pro and an icon in the hiking community, but everybody who rushes to do a thru, seems to come up lame, injured and/or unhappy.

It's pretty obvious that early departure means higher probability of bad weather.

Consider more options, like getting a job with the hike time off approved up front.

Hope it works out for you

Tom

Moose2001
04-17-2007, 14:53
I made the decision to retire as soon as I reached the magic 20. No sooner had I processed that paperwork, than doubt began to creep in, and I actually tried to stop the process...too late. I loved every minute of my 20 and had decided to leave so that I wasn't, basically, working for half pay beyond. The way of life and the comradery are hard to beat and you'll miss it in the civilian world, but life changes and goes on.

Based on my experience, I'd say go for the hike at the earliest opportunity. Once a distraction or job offer enters the picture it's going to be very difficult to stick to the plan that you have mapped out now. As the Nike commercial says, "Just Do It", don't wait.

Hey First Sergeant! Retired AF here. 23 years, 7 months, 27 days. Quodddy hit the nail right on the head with his comments. The transition back to civilian life is a real challenge. I think the hike is a great way to make that change.

Some of the best advice I ever got from the E-9 I worked for was "You'll know when it's time to retire. When it is, go." You sound like you know it's time. Don't ever worry or think about being a coward. You've served with honor. You have to think about both your future and your families. Drop the papers and be happy.

As for the hike....for me early Feb is just too soon to start a hike. Here's my two cents worth. Process out on the date you had planned. Take the PTDY and get your family settled and grab a breather. It's going to be a really hectic time. Get everything in place and then start in March.

Quoddy also hit the nail on the head when he says once a distraction or a job enters the picture, it's hard to go hiking. I worked for IBM for 10 years after my retirement before I was able to break loose and do what I wanted.

You and Dixie do what's best for you. Thanks for your years of service and all the deployments. It's your time now. Enjoy it.

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 15:34
Submitted the retirement request today for 1 May 2008

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 15:42
Submitted the retirement request today for 1 May 2008

==================================

Big step ...congrats !!

'Slogger

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 15:52
Thanks. Now it just has to get approved.

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2007, 16:12
Congratulations!

Lilred
04-17-2007, 16:16
Congrats Rock!!! WoooohoOOOOOO!!!!!!

Yahtzee
04-17-2007, 16:17
Hope your last year is as good as your first 20.

Now, as a 1SG, I'm not sure you will have the same problem seperating as I did as a lowly Spec., but damn if I didn't have to hound the clerks and commanders up the chain to process my paperwork in time. In the end, my Battalion Commander had to step in. He gave them a day. Next day, all was done. Rank indeed has its privileges.

I'm with the crowd here. Separate as soon as is possible and hike as soon as is enjoyable.

Again congrats, hoohaa, and dismissed.

Vi+
04-17-2007, 17:23
You’re employed where it’s becoming more and more difficult to fill vacancies. It’s not going to get any better in the near future. The longer you stay, the greater the probability that the consequences of staying will become increasingly negative.

GET OUT AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY WHICH PRESENTS ITSELF.

You’ve been living away from your family, in a potentially dangerous situation. You’re considering coming back to promptly leave again.

Hmmm, sorry your marriage and family haven’t worked out better for you.

May I suggest, get out, come back, relax a bit, and reacquaint yourself with your family and friends. Remember, you haven’t gone through this all alone. They’ve been anxious about you.

If you retire ASAP, you’ll have plenty of time to acclimate to non-military life, and leave on a more reasonable starting date. If you should “fail” and not even leave this year, you probably will have found something better to do. At worst, there’s always next year; you’ll only be a year older.

Learn to relax. I was in the Army only three years. When I got out, I thought I was fine. I realized, many years later, it probably took me about seven years to get over it.

Thank you for serving.

All the best.

P.S. Your marriage and family not working out better, paragraph #4, was a bit crude, but I wanted to startle you into thinking outside the green tunnel. No harm intended.

smokymtnsteve
04-17-2007, 17:30

If not just go AWOL...

good decision Rock...listen to Dixi...you'll get by just fine..

heck U could even move up here to AK you'd love it here.

all is well

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 17:32
You’re employed where it’s becoming more and more difficult to fill vacancies. It’s not going to get any better in the near future. The longer you stay, the greater the probability that the consequences of staying will become increasingly negative.

GET OUT AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY WHICH PRESENTS ITSELF.

You’ve been living away from your family, in a potentially dangerous situation. You’re considering coming back to promptly leave again.

Hmmm, sorry your marriage and family haven’t worked out better for you.

May I suggest, get out, come back, relax a bit, and reacquaint yourself with your family and friends. Remember, you haven’t gone through this all alone. They’ve been anxious about you.

If you retire ASAP, you’ll have plenty of time to acclimate to non-military life, and leave on a more reasonable starting date. If you should “fail” and not even leave this year, you probably will have found something better to do. At worst, there’s always next year; you’ll only be a year older.

Learn to relax. I was in the Army only three years. When I got out, I thought I was fine. I realized, many years later, it probably took me about seven years to get over it.

Thank you for serving.

All the best.

P.S. Your marriage and family not working out better, paragraph #4, was a bit crude, but I wanted to startle you into thinking outside the green tunnel. No harm intended.

Good thing you cleared that up. I was wondering where the hell that came from.

leeki pole
04-17-2007, 17:41
Thanks, Sarge. Best of luck in all your future experiences. You're a hero to many, many Americans. Cheers!:) (and tell dixie thanks too):sun

jettjames
04-17-2007, 17:49
Rock, I know you can handle the cold. I know that I can too. I was in the army, a paratrooper and have been colder and wetter than most hikers can even wrap their heads around. I'm sure you have too.
My point now is that I don't HAVE to be cold and wet any more so I try not to be. When given the choice it seems that I prefer a hotel in Gatlinburg to 7 inches of snow. maybe you will feel that way too? maybe not. but something to consider.

pt

Heater
04-17-2007, 18:06
Save as much money as you can now, retire ASAP. Please.
You have so many friends on the trail, espacially the Southern parts, it'll cost you nothing and you'll be begging to get back on the trail. Start early and enjoy the "magic" and the company because you know it'll mean as much to those giving it as it does to you.
Take your time and know you deserve it. Enjoy! :sun

Heater
04-17-2007, 18:16
I keep telling him that we'll get through this. I really think that the plan of him getting out of the Army ASAP is the best for us. And him taking any job in the middle east is definately OUT of the question.... PERIOD. I have spoken. ;) I don't care how many figures are attached to the salary. :p

As for the hiking plan... the option that sounded sanest (that's a word right?) to me was the one where he sections down here below VA, when the weather permits, then in spring (mid March I think we discussed) I drop him off a little north of Damascus and send him on his way to Katadin. Well it made sense to me anyway, of course I was half asleep last night when we were talking about it. LOL.

Hah! That's what I said before I read your post. I don't know you but from what I've read I think you'd take on a few extra hours work if you knew he was home safe. Know what I mean? :-?

weary
04-17-2007, 18:42

I am getting to the point retirement from the Army cannot come fast enough, nor can the thru-hike. My plan has been to retire "officially" 1 July 2008, but start terminal leave and such on 22 March and start walking that weekend. Now what I am thinking of doing is submitting my retirement in a couple of weeks to get out 1 May 2008 - but this means moving my hike start to the left as we say.

So, with leave and all, I could retire 25 January next year, and start walking a week later - the 3rd of February. That seems awful early for a start to me. I know I can probably hack the weather in most conditions, but I'm afraid it might mean taking more days off - enforced zeros. The plan would be to give myself about 24 weeks (168 days) from start to finish which would mean I would probably finish around the 19th of July. And because Army retirement cannot be lived on, I would have to start working again somewhere around 4 August.

I know I can do it if I really put my mind into it. But honestly I don't know if I should push a start date that early in the year. That is about 1.5 months earlier than I originally planned on. I always get good advice from the WhiteBlazers - so honest critical thinking is asked for.

Thanks for your time.
Sarge:

If you are into seeing the incredible variations and beauty of spring in the Southern Highlands and autumn in New England, I would strongly recommend an April 1 start. One reason I don't list myself as a thru hiker -- or as a 2000-miler -- is that I was so enthralled by what I was seeing and exploring in the southern Appalacians that I found it impossible to both enjoy the beauty and still do the required miles -- for me as a 64-year-old largely office worker, at least.

I strongly suspect that after three tours in Iraq you are far more able to do the miles than I was.

The AT is an experience of a lifetime, which can only be truly achieved by experiencing the southern Appalachians, and autumn in New England. i.e. an early to mid April start on Springer and an October summit of Katahdin -- with a lot of side trails to scenic overlooks, water falls, and historic sites in between.

Weary

The Weasel
04-17-2007, 18:52
Rock:

A few thoughts, without reading through the entire thread (about half).

First, try to line up the post-retirement job before you leave. I think you will find that, with your experience, you may be a lot more marketable than you think in a number of fields. If you have the job lined up, with an agreement from the employer, about the AT, you'll feel a lot less pressure than I did, just quitting and hoping that "after" would work out. It does, but you don't need the pressure.

Second, you're a lot different than others here, for whom "sponsorships" are sometimes more like "begging" than fully legitimate: Whether it's the Army (and don't immeidately think it wouldn't, even with you retiring), veteran's groups, or businesses, you may well be able to get financial support for what you're doing. You can serve as an emblem as well as an inspiration for a lot of other veterans and military retirees, and being given honoraria - look up the word, honest - is NOT objectionable.

Third, what you are doing is totally selfish. Everything you do is. I mean that. And you know it. Before people - and you - start jumping all over me, all of us do things solely because whatever is done has, as its purpose, our own satisfaction. For roughly 22 years you've developed - I hope - a strong and good feeling from what you have done for millions of us by your service in the Army, as well taking care of your comrades. You get, I can tell, a great feeling for having been a good father and husband. And there are a lot of other things...not least is that you take pride in making neat stoves...that you do for the good feelings you feel as you do them. Good. Doing the trail is no different; you will do much for others by walking it, as anyone who has tried can tell you, as well as your own delight. Do it, and be glad, and never apologetic for the joy you get from it. It's a good thing to do, and a good thing for you to do.

The Weasel

dixicritter
04-17-2007, 19:00
If not just go AWOL...

all is well

You tell him Steve!

Good thing you cleared that up. I was wondering where the hell that came from.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

(and tell dixie thanks too):sun

Most welcome!

Hah! That's what I said before I read your post. I don't know you but from what I've read I think you'd take on a few extra hours work if you knew he was home safe. Know what I mean? :-?

Oh yeah! That's exactly the plan. I will get a job to take up the slack until he finishes his hike and can get back and get his own job. He just doesn't like the idea all that much. LOL.

rickb
04-17-2007, 19:03
If it helps with your budget, I'm good for a ham sandwich and a bottle of Sams Club soda when you cross 112 outside of North Woodstock. :D

Best of luck.

SGT Rock
04-17-2007, 19:43
Thanks, Sarge. Best of luck in all your future experiences. You're a hero to many, many Americans. Cheers!:) (and tell dixie thanks too):sun

Thanks.

Rock, I know you can handle the cold. I know that I can too. I was in the army, a paratrooper and have been colder and wetter than most hikers can even wrap their heads around. I'm sure you have too.

My point now is that I don't HAVE to be cold and wet any more so I try not to be. When given the choice it seems that I prefer a hotel in Gatlinburg to 7 inches of snow. maybe you will feel that way too? maybe not. but something to consider.

pt

I ain't sure how I feel. Often I feel greatful just to be on the trail, damn the weather. Now that I am about to become a dirtbag, soft civilian - who knows. My son told me today that acording to his psyche class I am supposed to go through some changes in my middle age with androgen or something like that: so basically I am supposed to go all soft and girly.

Save as much money as you can now, retire ASAP. Please.

You have so many friends on the trail, espacially the Southern parts, it'll cost you nothing and you'll be begging to get back on the trail. Start early and enjoy the "magic" and the company because you know it'll mean as much to those giving it as it does to you.
Take your time and know you deserve it. Enjoy! :sun
I'm actually looking forward to seeing some of you guys out there. I figure I can be like Minnesottasmith was last year, except without all the sniveling.

Sarge:

If you are into seeing the incredible variations and beauty of spring in the Southern Highlands and autumn in New England, I would strongly recommend an April 1 start. One reason I don't list myself as a thru hiker -- or as a 2000-miler -- is that I was so enthralled by what I was seeing and exploring in the southern Appalacians that I found it impossible to both enjoy the beauty and still do the required miles -- for me as a 64-year-old largely office worker, at least.

I strongly suspect that after three tours in Iraq you are far more able to do the miles than I was.

The AT is an experience of a lifetime, which can only be truly achieved by experiencing the southern Appalachians, and autumn in New England. i.e. an early to mid April start on Springer and an October summit of Katahdin -- with a lot of side trails to scenic overlooks, water falls, and historic sites in between.

Weary
Oh I can do some miles. That ain't in question. I just want to have fun doing it. Who wants to be a mile slave. If you ain't having fun hiking you picked the wrong sport.

That said, winter hiking can have a magic too. As for southern springs - I got probably 60 more years of them to enjoy since I live right outside the park ;)

But great advice as always.

Rock:

A few thoughts, without reading through the entire thread (about half).

First, try to line up the post-retirement job before you leave. I think you will find that, with your experience, you may be a lot more marketable than you think in a number of fields. If you have the job lined up, with an agreement from the employer, about the AT, you'll feel a lot less pressure than I did, just quitting and hoping that "after" would work out. It does, but you don't need the pressure.

Second, you're a lot different than others here, for whom "sponsorships" are sometimes more like "begging" than fully legitimate: Whether it's the Army (and don't immeidately think it wouldn't, even with you retiring), veteran's groups, or businesses, you may well be able to get financial support for what you're doing. You can serve as an emblem as well as an inspiration for a lot of other veterans and military retirees, and being given honoraria - look up the word, honest - is NOT objectionable.

Third, what you are doing is totally selfish. Everything you do is. I mean that. And you know it. Before people - and you - start jumping all over me, all of us do things solely because whatever is done has, as its purpose, our own satisfaction. For roughly 22 years you've developed - I hope - a strong and good feeling from what you have done for millions of us by your service in the Army, as well taking care of your comrades. You get, I can tell, a great feeling for having been a good father and husband. And there are a lot of other things...not least is that you take pride in making neat stoves...that you do for the good feelings you feel as you do them. Good. Doing the trail is no different; you will do much for others by walking it, as anyone who has tried can tell you, as well as your own delight. Do it, and be glad, and never apologetic for the joy you get from it. It's a good thing to do, and a good thing for you to do.

The Weasel
Thanks Weasel. I am trying to line up some job things now. I actually went out to the GSMNP HQ today to talk with the personnel office. I am also working three different resumes - one for Human Resources, one for training, and one for military style stuff. I realize I have been in a lot of hats over the last 21 years.

I don't know about honorariums, never got into that sort of business in my past.

But as for selfish - exactly. I think you get it. It seems some people try to turn a hike into some sort of noble search for truth or something like that. I live on this planet too much I guess, to me it is just the sort of vacation I have always wanted. I figure in some way I sort of deserve to get this chance once in my life. So instead of sniveling about it later, I beter grab it while I can no matter if it is perfectly on the terms I wanted or not.

If not just go AWOL...

all is well
Hell Steve, why not come down and hike with me. I'm sure we could both stay entertained by each other for weeks.

Hope your last year is as good as your first 20.

Now, as a 1SG, I'm not sure you will have the same problem seperating as I did as a lowly Spec., but damn if I didn't have to hound the clerks and commanders up the chain to process my paperwork in time. In the end, my Battalion Commander had to step in. He gave them a day. Next day, all was done. Rank indeed has its privileges.

I'm with the crowd here. Separate as soon as is possible and hike as soon as is enjoyable.

Again congrats, hoohaa, and dismissed.
Thanks. I'm the CSM for my unit, they won't put my stuff out of sight-out of mind. BUT they could also just disaprove it to LOL.

Congrats Rock!!! WoooohoOOOOOO!!!!!!
Thanks.

eventidecu
04-17-2007, 19:53
Whatever you do Sarge figure on NOT going as fast as you think because like someone else said everyone knows you and will be watching and following and coming out and you'll probably have to recon up to every road crossing and wait until dark to "stealth" across. LOL that being said the early section thing while weather is good sounds good because you can take your time, spend time with some of your "finer" friends now and then and be home every week or so until the weather breaks for good. (Not rushing, it's called retirement ;) ) And might also allow you to do the New England in the fall which I think would be a must. I understand the money thing but don't worry, it will work out. It ALWAYS HAS hasn't it? And it ALWAYS WILL. I promise you and I'm sure I will be backed up by others, you can live on a LOT less than you think you can. Trust me. Don't rush this for that reason. I think you would regret it later.
No Regrets = No Sniveling :eek:

dixicritter
04-17-2007, 19:58
Whatever you do Sarge figure on NOT going as fast as you think because like someone else said everyone knows you and will be watching and following and coming out and you'll probably have to recon up to every road crossing and wait until dark to "stealth" across. LOL that being said the early section thing while weather is good sounds good because you can take your time, spend time with some of your "finer" friends now and then and be home every week or so until the weather breaks for good. (Not rushing, it's called retirement ;) ) And might also allow you to do the New England in the fall which I think would be a must. I understand the money thing but don't worry, it will work out. It ALWAYS HAS hasn't it? And it ALWAYS WILL. I promise you and I'm sure I will be backed up by others, you can live on a LOT less than you think you can. Trust me. Don't rush this for that reason. I think you would regret it later.
No Regrets = No Sniveling :eek:

Great post... Maybe he'll listen to you... He sure isn't listening to me.

eventidecu
04-17-2007, 19:58
Look everyone he's already changed his "year of thru hike"!

Now to change his trail name from Sgt Rock to "Rolling Rock" coming "down the trail"!

eventidecu
04-17-2007, 20:00
Look everyone he's already changed his "year of thru hike"!

Now to change his trail name from Sgt Rock to "Rolling Rock" coming "down the trail"!

or "going" "up the trail" I mean,,oops:banana

Programbo
04-17-2007, 20:56
All those dates and things have me confoozled...But I`ll throw in my 2 cents since you wanted honest advice...You mentioned making the equivilant of someone at $14 an hour...While that isn`t a Kings ransom I know a few people who live just fine on that (Give me $14 an hour for life and I`d never work again!)...Also you said all your debts would be paid off except the house so it doesn`t sound as if you will be debt ridden..And since Mrs Rock has offered to work a bit I don`t think you should get yourself in a situation where you feel pressed or on some sort of timetable...How much difference would it make in your whole financial scheme of things if you finished your hike 30 or 40 days after August 4th?

PS: I see there are 4 pages of replies so forgive me if all this has been addressed already :-)

The Snowman
04-17-2007, 21:28
Good luck and have a great hike when ever you dicide to go. Thanks for your 20 years of service to the USA

weary
04-17-2007, 21:29
[COLOR=darkorchid]...You mentioned making the equivilant of someone at $14 an hour...While that isn`t a Kings ransom I know a few people who live just fine on that (Give me $14 an hour for life and I`d never work again!)...
My wife and I live quite comfortably on the equivalent of $13 an hour (at 40 HOURS A WEEK) and we manage to donate several thousands a year to various trail and church organizations.

In fact my wife is going to resign her $8,000 contribution to this income tomorrow so we can spend a few weeks this spring and summer in Alaska, though I should warn those who have been getting $1,000 contributions that these may be reduced a bit in the future.

Weary

buckowens
04-17-2007, 21:37
SGT Rock,

I understand your perspective in regards to the Army. I am not buying the fact that we are not having any problem with our recruiting goals... They are too eager to force everyone to dance.

You just like me should have just gotten a pretty good pay raise (I'm a CW4 over 24), and it looks like you will catch another normal one just before retiring which is great!

I work full time for a Homeland Defense Unit here in WV, and we work with a bunch of civilian contractors who all seem to be making pretty good money. Most are former military, and many are operating in the same area as their MOS while on active duty. Don't miss that angle, as with your senior rank you are actually really employable.

Jimmers
04-17-2007, 21:56
My wife and I live quite comfortably on the equivalent of $13 an hour (at 40 HOURS A WEEK) and we manage to donate several thousands a year to various trail and church organizations.

In fact my wife is going to resign her $8,000 contribution to this income tomorrow so we can spend a few weeks this spring and summer in Alaska, though I should warn those who have been getting $1,000 contributions that these may be reduced a bit in the future.

Weary

It can be done. God knows my income's been low. But add kids to the picture and it becomes much more difficult.

Anyway, have fun SGT Rock!

Tin Man
04-17-2007, 23:25

We approve! Congrats!!

flyfisher
04-19-2007, 10:49
I started north from Damascus in the first week of April year before last. There were a very few hikers on the trail that had started at Springer in February. The trail can be pretty lonely that early. If you want to spend 3 out of 4 nights alone in shelters, then a February start is good. If that is too much isolation (it was for me) then a later start is better. I enjoy evening conversations. Going for two or three days without seeing anyone was not for me, but then an April start would be pretty crazy with the crowds too. Maybe a mid March start would be a good balance.

Footslogger
04-19-2007, 10:57
Rock ...

Was thinking more about the whole February start thing and remembered a hiker (recent Armry retiree) I knew who set out in February several years ago and ended up pulling off the trail and jumping back on later.

Here's a link to his journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2362

Just some food for thought ...

'Slogger

hawkeye
04-19-2007, 13:36
Rock,
When I got out after 26 years I started a job 3 weeks later. I wished I took more time off. If I was doing a thru hike after 20 years I would ENJOY it and not rush. I was planning a thru in 2008 but things have changed. If you have the time do it. Getting a job after is fairly easy. I worked on helicopters for 26 years and now I run a bicycle store!(love to cycle) It is not a high paying job but is something I enjoy alot.
By the way, I am glad your home and maybe I will run into you on the trail.

bfitz
04-19-2007, 13:56

Thanks for your time.March 22 is a fine start date. Seems to me many of the folks that started early this year spurred on by the balmy january ended up regretting it. As far as work goes, if you start scheming and plotting now you might be able to figure out something to carry you through financially for those months.

JP
04-19-2007, 14:46
Check your record very carefully. Make sure your History of Assignments is correct and everything you did is documented befor you get out. Also get a good exit physical and audiogram and make sure any injury you ever had is documented. If you can, get a copy of your records. You never know what you may need to prove 20 years from now.

hopefulhiker
04-19-2007, 18:19
OK, I agree that you should get the hell out of there as fast as you can...

I would come home and spend some time with my family for a few weeks in Febuary..Get ready for the hike, do some odd jobs to make some money and then set out from Springer in March.. Put it this way.... What is your family going to remember about 2008? That their dad hiked the AT! For that matter what are you going to remember about the AT? So if you have to sacrifice some money in the short run , it will be worth it in the long run...

I left March 12, but I sort of wish I had left a week or two earlier.. This way the weather might be gentler and you can enjoy all the benefits that go with moving with the herd.. The social aspects, Hiker feeds, trail magic, the hiker events and so forth. It was fun to be at Harpers Ferry on the fourth of July...

This way it gives you some time.. Relax and enjoy it. Do not make it a "forced march"!

I thought I would be back hiking the trail again by now but I have to much stuff come up... This may be your only chance in a good while..

SGT Rock
04-20-2007, 21:06
Got some good responses and a couple of PMs from people keeping it real. I realize that I am over-thinking the concern for my income. Thanks y'all.

About the winter hike aspect of leaving in February, I have been putting some thought into it and realize I like winter hiking, but probably wouldn't want to thru hike in the winter. Then I got to thinking about my "ultralight" hiking style. I really do not consider myself ultralight, just someone who is weight conscious. Here is the new idea:

I can hike with multiple styles. I have an MSR Simmerlite (among other gas stoves) as well as a tent, other JRB underquilts, bigger pots, warmer bags, parkas, boots, etc. I've also hit some of the sections of the AT around here over the last 10 years and really do not have to repeat those - plus I can hit a few more before I start next year (I have 30 to burn before 1 Oct in the use/lose). And since I live within a 3 hour drive of 25% of the AT and 100% of the BMT I do not have to do a traditional start here, walk there, and do it all cut off from my home and family. Once I started thinking like that, I started coming up with a new plan.

This is the plan:

Between 3 Feb and 21 Mar I will section the BMT and AT using my house as a base basically. So I'll have a week between when when I actually start my leave until I plan to get on the trail. This way I can get home and look at the weather forecast from here - pick the gear and supplies (with spare food for winter) I need and the entry/exit points for a week of hiking. Once I got that done my wife and I drive both cars down and park one at one end of that section and then drop me off at the other. That way I walk to my car. When I get done, I drive home and spend a couple of days cleaning gear and picking my next section while hanging out with my wife and kids.

I figure it can go something like this:

1-6 Feb - 90 miles of the BMT in GA.

7-10 Feb - home

11-17 Feb - 90 miles of the BMT in NC/TN.

18-21 Feb - home

22-28 Feb - 90 miles of the BMT in the Smokies.

29 Feb - 3 Mar - Home

4-9 Mar - AT from Newfound Gap to Erwin.

9-13 Mar - Home

14-18 Mar - AT from Partnership Shelter to Bland

19-22 Mar Home

23 March start the AT from Sinking Creek Valley which leaves me almost 1500 miles to go at that point.

Note that is just an example of how I could do it, not the exact way I'll do it. If the forecast says it won't be good at all during a specific week, then no sense to do that section that week or even the entire section I have planned. But I can pick up the gear I need here and make gear changes I need as I go along. I also eliminate the need for paying for hotels and give myself a good break in period for my trail legs. That way I still get to enjoy winter hiking without all the hassle of planning a thru-hike with winter gear.

I probably do need to look at some sort of light snowshoe for the short times I need them, and maybe some instep crampons.

Gray Blazer
04-20-2007, 21:28
Sounds like a plan. Don't you have about 200 miles of the AT within 80 miles of your home?

Programbo
04-20-2007, 21:30
I can hike with multiple styles....

To paraphrase a line from Bruce Lee: I call my style; the art of hiking, without hiking. :)

SGT Rock
04-20-2007, 22:12
Sounds like a plan. Don't you have about 200 miles of the AT within 80 miles of your home?

I am not totally sure on that. I sort of think in terms of hours driving. I guess about 200 miles within 2 hours drive.

To paraphrase a line from Bruce Lee: I call my style; the art of hiking, without hiking. :)

I consider it more along the lines "I call my style the art of hiking without sniveling"

Krewzer
04-21-2007, 08:37
Hey Rock,

Glad to see you safe and home....and hiking.

Retire as soon as possible. Listen, work will come and payday will come. Your boat ain't gonna sink. Don't worry more than you have to about it, you've worried enough for a while.

It's still HYOH, but since you've asked, here's my $0.02.

You want the BMT and you want the AT. No problem, you can do that. But I'm a purist at heart and the BMT option just doesn't work for me, at least not on a first time AT thru-hike. You will miss more than just miles and mountain tops by taking the BMT those first 3 weeks. That first month on the trail has so many experiences with the other thru-hikers. It is a huge part of the trip. I wouldn't want anyone to miss that.

But if you're determined to do the BMT, then do a BMT-AT Loop. Do the BMT south to Springer, then start the AT north to Katahdin.

You will need pick your time carefully, stay flexible. Mt Sterling in winter is very tough, and crossing Newton Bald will be no tropical paradise. And those creek crossing in the Smokies may be more than knee deep in a wet winter. Wait for a break in the weather and go. 90 mile weeks will work. This will put you on schedule for an early March start of the AT.

Then, it's off north on the AT and on to Katahdin. But not from Newfound Gap, but on Springer. This is your first (I think) thru-hike. Do it all as a thru-hike. Spinger, Tray, Bly Gap, Blood, Standing Indian, Wayah, NOC, Cheoah, the Hilton, Shuckstack..........all of them.

Good Luck and Enjoy the ride.

PS. Forget the snowshoe thing.

Cuppa Joe
04-21-2007, 09:20
Sgt. Rock,

First off I am going to make a couple of assumptions here. I think I will be close. If you have been in for 20+ years I assume you are an E-7 or maybe even an E-8.

Using that assumption, if you were to take 100.00 or even 50.00 dollars per pay period between now and March 2008 you would have 1200.00 to 2400.00 set aside before you even start. Based on the pay scale for those ranks I would think that money is doable. I am not sure if you are living on base but, unless things have changed there used to be the housing allowance, not to mention the extra money you would have received from your last deployment.

I started my thru in mid-March of '05 and spent approxiametely 2400. That included the money for the beers and zero days which I had 30 of.

I did use maildrops that I had set up prior to leaving for the first 1000 miles so that did make a difference. Just my .02 cents

Cuppa Joe

SGT Rock
04-21-2007, 09:49
Hey Rock,

Glad to see you safe and home....and hiking.

Retire as soon as possible. Listen, work will come and payday will come. Your boat ain't gonna sink. Don't worry more than you have to about it, you've worried enough for a while.

It's still HYOH, but since you've asked, here's my $0.02.

You want the BMT and you want the AT. No problem, you can do that. But I'm a purist at heart and the BMT option just doesn't work for me, at least not on a first time AT thru-hike. You will miss more than just miles and mountain tops by taking the BMT those first 3 weeks. That first month on the trail has so many experiences with the other thru-hikers. It is a huge part of the trip. I wouldn't want anyone to miss that.

Well I am not a purist BUT - I already hiked all those parts of the AT. I don't see a need to do them again while missing some great trail I have never seen. There are a lot of great trails in this world and not enough time to see them all. By the time I finish at Katahdin I will qualify as a 2000 miler but will get to see what I want to see. As for a loop, that was never the plan. Just start at Springer, do the BMT to Davenport Gap, then get back on the AT and keep going north.

But if you're determined to do the BMT, then do a BMT-AT Loop. Do the BMT south to Springer, then start the AT north to Katahdin.

You will need pick your time carefully, stay flexible. Mt Sterling in winter is very tough, and crossing Newton Bald will be no tropical paradise. And those creek crossing in the Smokies may be more than knee deep in a wet winter. Wait for a break in the weather and go. 90 mile weeks will work. This will put you on schedule for an early March start of the AT.

Then, it's off north on the AT and on to Katahdin. But not from Newfound Gap, but on Springer. This is your first (I think) thru-hike. Do it all as a thru-hike. Spinger, Tray, Bly Gap, Blood, Standing Indian, Wayah, NOC, Cheoah, the Hilton, Shuckstack..........all of them.

Good Luck and Enjoy the ride.

PS. Forget the snowshoe thing.

I may forget the snowshoes, it was something I have always wanted to try though ;)

Sgt. Rock,

First off I am going to make a couple of assumptions here. I think I will be close. If you have been in for 20+ years I assume you are an E-7 or maybe even an E-8.

Using that assumption, if you were to take 100.00 or even 50.00 dollars per pay period between now and March 2008 you would have 1200.00 to 2400.00 set aside before you even start. Based on the pay scale for those ranks I would think that money is doable. I am not sure if you are living on base but, unless things have changed there used to be the housing allowance, not to mention the extra money you would have received from your last deployment.

I started my thru in mid-March of '05 and spent approxiametely 2400. That included the money for the beers and zero days which I had 30 of.

I did use maildrops that I had set up prior to leaving for the first 1000 miles so that did make a difference. Just my .02 cents

Cuppa Joe
Actually I already have about that already saved for my hike. I am just paranoid about leaving my family short on money during a deployment.

Gray Blazer
04-21-2007, 20:59
If you are going to be in the mountains for a month or more in the winter, I would bring the snowshoes (like I have any :rolleyes: ) But if I did I would bring them.

hopefulhiker
04-21-2007, 22:18
That sounds like a real good plan if you have the support of getting rides every few days... I broke up my hike with a vacation from the vacation... and did some hiking...

The Solemates
04-21-2007, 22:48
Rock, for what its worth, we started 1 Feb and had a blast. Weather never slowed us down too much, even though we got tons of snow. If we can do it, I know a tough Army guy like you can :) its just a question of whether or not you want to. Whatever decision you make, enjoy yourself!

Furlough
04-22-2007, 03:25
Rock,
Congrats on submitting your retirement paper work and a good call to do so now.

There have already been some selective retirement deferments (read that disapprovals) for the last couple of years and as you have figured out that will probably increase at some point soon. I submitted my retirement paperwork to be effective Feb 06 - that was disapproved. I will resubmit my retirement papers sometime this fall after I get back from Iraq (with the extensions - my window is now between July and October) and hope that this time it gets approved.

At any rate good luck in both your hiking plans and your job search. I look forward to reading your journal and maybe as you go through Viriginia we can link up and hike a bit, or at the very least I can treat you to some good old Viriginia hospitality, er... Trail Magic on your way through.

Furlough