PDA

View Full Version : Putting pounds on before the hike

Matteroo
04-16-2007, 22:42
Hello,

My girlfriend is ~400 miles into her thru hike. I will join in Roanoke, VA, on May 6th for the remaining amount to Katahdin. Due to working out a lot in the past year, both of us are at our lowest weight ever as adults. She lost 9 pounds her first month on the trail which is too much. Her hunger took about 2.5 weeks to catch up with her body's daily usage of calories. She has taken some zero days and has tried to put 8000 calories down the hatch. Probably she has picked up a pound or two now, a few weeks later.

I stopped going to the gym last week (membership expired), but still do day-hikes and tread-mill action at a brisk pace 3 to 3.5mph, at a 12degree incline for 3 miles, with 30lbs pack. I am doing lots of stretching and still trying to work out the core abdominal/chest/back/lowerback muscles, and legs as best I can without much equipment. I want to continue to 'break' in my shoes and such-but my girlfriend has really advocated that putting on the pounds in the time before hitting the trail is important. It is the ONE thing she would have done, more than the array gear paring down she has done.

I am eating lots of cashews, peanut butter with whole wheat crackers, chips, baklava, and really anything I can get my hands on. Does anyone have a tip for a few specific things I can eat a lot of that aren't expensive, that will help pack on a pound or two. I am sure it is possible to put on 5lbs in 2.5 weeks, right:banana? And the SuperSize Me diet, I hear that is hell and the way I do NOT want to get the 5lbs. Thanks for any recommendations:D!

matteroo

Wanderingson
04-17-2007, 00:09
Consider this:

Why spend the additional money to pack on a few pounds?

Ever pound you pack on will be an extra pound you will have to carry with you--thus adding to your burden.

You stated that you were at your lowest weight ever as adults, but i would have to ask are you a trim fitness machine. Many factors invloved in how your body will adapt. No doubt you will loose weight, but be smart in your planning on food and menu options. There are many threads here that address food wieght vs calorie values.

Kaptain Kangaroo
04-17-2007, 00:34
Any extra weight you put on will disappear pretty quickly anyway on the trail. By the end of a thru-hike almost everyone is down to "skin & bones" so those few extra pounds will only delay the inevitable. I think it is far more important to ensure that you are carrying enough food. I saw hikers skimp on food supplies between re-supplies to keep their packs light. This might work early on the trail but by the time you get up north (or down south for the SOBO's) you don't have the reserves to do this & you won't have the energy to hike.

Like you I started the trail with little excess body fat. I too was concerned about losing weight so I was very focussed on carrying enough food right from day 1. It does work (well it worked for me) I lost about 3 pounds on the trail, but I think most of this was lost muscle mass on my upper body. Interestingly I also found that I didn't really develop the hiker appetite that many hikers do in towns, maybe I was getting enough nutrition on the trail & so didn't need to pig out in town.

Good luck !

Kaptain Kangaroo

jrwiesz
04-17-2007, 02:09
She lost 9 pounds her first month on the trail which is too much. Her hunger took about 2.5 weeks to catch up with her body's daily usage of calories.

I am eating lots of cashews, peanut butter with whole wheat crackers, chips, baklava, and really anything I can get my hands on. Does anyone have a tip for a few specific things I can eat a lot of that aren't expensive, that will help pack on a pound or two.

Thanks for any recommendations:D!

matteroo

Force feed yourself every two hours on the trail, even in the beginning. One might say, well, I'm not really hungry. True, with the initial excitement of the trail and its' awesome wonder, you may not feel hungry. But, your nutritional requirements are at least the same and even increased. So, if you don't eat sustainance, your body will EAT YOU, for its' energy needs. Meaning it will break down muscle, bone, organs, for its' needs. Sounds as if your girlfriend is back on track. On the trail, take a short break every two hours for quality trail gorp, fruits and nuts - skip the M&M's, and eat two or three good sized handfuls. Maybe, a 4 oz. package of salmon or tuna and an apple or pear or banana. Don't forget hydration at this time also, water allows this nutrition to be used for energy needs[your body won't have to EAT YOU]. In an earlier thread, we discussed Myoplex protein shakes, Optimun Nutrition, and General Nutrition Centers, also have some quality protein shakes; take some of their power bars - again GNC makes some pretty awesome power bars, much more nutrition than a Snickers bar, and every bit as tasty.

The same goes for at home if you want to beef-up a little. Start supplimenting with protein shakes, power bars, etc. A big scoop of cottage cheese and an apple is a great suppliment. The "every two hours", at home is just as important; beside, you need to start to get in the practice for your hike so, start now at home! The main point is getting a quality protein and a quality carbohydrate every two hours. Check out your library for the book, "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips; and his "Food for Life" gives one all sorts of ideas on the perfect protein/carb combinations - there is even quality desserts included in his book. I did this prior to a trip to Isle Royale; went through the "Body for Life" 12 week program - free weights and cardio work outs. Lost 33 unwanted pounds, and hit the island in great shape; I had no problem keeping pace with my own sons and my younger brother. We tried to keep with the every two hours regime on that journey, and it worked out well. I came back at the same weight that I went to the island at.

Another poster on this thread related, "proper nutrition" on the trail. I'd have to agree, one should not skimp in this area.

Just my thoughts, give it a try. Have a great hike what ever you decide.:sun

Ps. You're right to skip the Mcy D's, garbage, not nutrition.

Appalachian Tater
04-17-2007, 07:22
You're going to be hungry after hiking for a while. Why carry the extra weight as fat reserves when you can carry it as glorious food that you will get to enjoy eating? Weighing 10 pounds more starting out will cause you to burn more calories as well. If you're worried about weight loss, eat more. Carry olive oil and add it to your meals from the beginning. Fat has almost twice as many calories as carbohydrates or protein based on weight.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-17-2007, 07:35
Macadamia nuts were the first things to come to mind till you mentioned expense

applejack
04-17-2007, 08:34
in the middle of virginia i caught a look at myself in a mirror and was shocked. man was i skinnier than i'd ever been! from that point on i began eating a half gallon of ice cream every night i was in town. problem solved. i regained the 20 pounds i lost to get back to the mid 170's, and stayed there. still there today, 4 years later, even with all the crap i eat and thru hikin i ain't doin these days. though, when i got back from the hike my physician didn't like to hear about all that ice cream. had me tested for cholesterol- numbers came out just fine. though, i am in my 20's and do happen to be one of those people hated by people who are on diets and take medication for high cholesterol and such.

Matteroo
04-17-2007, 08:52
thanks for the feedback folks. I appreciate it. To wanderingson, yes I would say I am trim/athletic-ie, at my lowest weight-but also with the best cardio health and most muscle's I've ever had. Hearing from folks, I'm going to keep eating more or less whatever I want here at home, and not worry about adding specific weight to my frame. For the 3 food drops i'm making I'll give much more attention to the nutritional quality of food I select-and for the rest of it will keep my wallet willing and my mind accepting of the 'worth' of any extra pack-weight since means having the energy I want and not shortchanging myself for the sake of my packweight being a few pounds lower.

i'll peruse the food-forum more to get additional knowledge on the smarter on-trail food choices. thanks again folks!

matteroo

mudhead
04-17-2007, 09:02
Generic swiss cheese.

Good chocolate ice cream and salted cocktail peanuts over the top. Feeling flush, try good walnuts over the top.

Peanut butter and raisin sandwich. Good honey and peanut butter.

Plain yogurt, raisins, salted cocktail peanuts.

Probably better to follow the every two hour/good nutrition idea.

Happy chubbing. Or not.

jesse
04-17-2007, 10:10
I think you want to hit the trail in the best atheletic fitness possible. I would not try to gain excess fat.