PDA

View Full Version : SOBO end of July beginning of August

Stonewall
04-16-2007, 23:23
So I was wondering considering my change of plans Since I am headed to the French Alps the day I was suppose to leave for my Thru, was that, is it to late to start my SOBO August 1st give or take a few days? I am leaving for the Alps on June 15 returning July 16 I figured one or two weeks of recuperation then off for my Thru and If i leave then will I be able to get to Springer by the 16th of January or before. Considering that is when I am starting school up....

Or the alternate which I don't want to exactly think about, is to go NOBO to Vermont since my school is there and continue the rest of my hike at a later date :(

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for me since this is becoming quite a bummer to think about. I prefer to do a Thru versus a Long section hike.

pokeyhontas98
04-17-2007, 01:27
Back in 98' their were quite a few later starters, myself included (started Aug 4). There are pros and cons in starting a late SOBO hike.

Pros:
Seclusion- fewer hikers on the trail
Black fly season is near it's end
Cooler Temps
Fewer crowded shelters
Fall Foilage
No rattle snakes in PA

Cons:
Fewer thruhiker resources
Snow and ice
Frozen Boots
Frozen water source

jrwiesz
04-18-2007, 00:57
So I was wondering considering my change of plans Since I am headed to the French Alps the day I was suppose to leave for my Thru, was that, is it to late to start my SOBO August 1st give or take a few days? I am leaving for the Alps on June 15 returning July 16 I figured one or two weeks of recuperation then off for my Thru and If i leave then will I be able to get to Springer by the 16th of January or before. Considering that is when I am starting school up....

Or the alternate which I don't want to exactly think about, is to go NOBO to Vermont since my school is there and continue the rest of my hike at a later date

Anyone have any advice or recommendations for me since this is becoming quite a bummer to think about. I prefer to do a Thru versus a Long section hike.

Go for all the gusto. If you don't make it all the way thru, you may return later.:D

At your age, you may have LIFE get in your way, and in the near future, not be able to go for it. I would guess, there may be many out there, that wish they had the dilemma of the French Alps and the AT thru at this time to fret over.:-?

Have some great hikes!:sun

Marta
04-18-2007, 07:06
Here's a link to a late, fast SOBO:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=158908

I hope you like being alone.

Marta/Five-Leaf

fiddlehead
04-18-2007, 11:37
Lots of southbounders starting late. I hang out at Eckville in PA (close to the half-way point) in Nov and Dec and still see them coming thru. I think August would be a fine time to start. The Smokies may be cold but I hiked them in Jan. already and had awesome weather at that time.
I did a SOBO starting Oct 14 once and it was a great hike. We had support (van) though which made those long nights very enjoyable. You'll get to experience the AT with much better views, no one at the shelters (except possibly on weekends) and hardly anybody on the trail weekdays. Saw 3 thruhikers on the whole hike except for the first and last 200 miles.

Pete Moss
03-06-2008, 23:18
I'm starting July 20-21. I figure,if your willing to fight hard enough for it, anything can be done. I sure as heck wont let some cold rain and snow get in my way of a good time.

Stonewall
03-07-2008, 02:31
lol stop it, this was from last year. lol, anyway the Alps were amazing and I'll be doing my Thru in a few years...