PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera card readers

Bob Anderson
04-17-2007, 08:03
Can anyone give any input on how easy (do most owners of computers allow this?) it is to insert card readers into computer USB ports near/at the trail towns to transfer images from memory stick so they may be e-mailed back home for web log?

I'm debating wheter to just bounce back a second memory card but if computers are faily accessible that won't be necessary.

Perhaps both an extra memory card and a card reader are the way to go...like blackmath mentioned in earlier post.

Thank you.

JEB

MacGyver2005
04-17-2007, 08:05
Most digital cameras have a USB plug built into them. It's easier to plug the whole camera into a computer, as well as just carrying the USB cable instead of the entire card reader.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

rafe
04-17-2007, 08:14
It seems to me that there won't be enough bandwidth available at most library-internet hookups to transfer your files to a web-based backup. Your camera images are bound to be a few megabytes each, or more (if you're shooting hi-res, low-compression JPG, or RAW.)

The actual hookup between memory card and USB port is trivial. I picked up a "multi-format" USB card reader at Target for $20. There are dozens of these on the market. The device probably weighs maybe 2 or 3 oz and is powered by USB (so it doesn't need its own power supply.)

One alternative is a "digital photo wallet" in your bounce box. These things are basically just a noteook hard drive (eg., 20 or 40 GB) in a tiny package with a bunch of memory-card sockets and a simple user interface. The best single source for these is here (http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/). (Click on "Portable Storage Units.")

Footslogger
04-17-2007, 09:13
[quote=Bob Anderson;353512]Can anyone give any input on how easy (do most owners of computers allow this?) it is to insert card readers into computer USB ports near/at the trail towns to transfer images from memory stick so they may be e-mailed back home for web log?

I'm debating wheter to just bounce back a second memory card but if computers are faily accessible that won't be necessary.

Perhaps both an extra memory card and a card reader are the way to go...like blackmath mentioned in earlier post.

Thank you.
=========================================

In 2003 the little card readers you are talking about weren't widely available. I bought several cards and shuttled them back and forth in the mail to my wife. She uploaded the images, burned a CD, erased the card and then sent it back to me.

Nowadays I'd most likely carry a large capacity card (and an extra one in my bounce box) and a card reader. As has already been mentioned, you can get access to computers along the trail with USB ports. You can also buy CD's. Upload your shots whenever possible, burn them to a CD (and I would suggest burning a back-up as well) and then mailing it home.

'Slogger

ShakeyLeggs
04-17-2007, 11:04
Also there is the option to go into one of the larger chain stores such as Wally World. They have machines that will take your card and burn the pics to a cd for you. Then all you have to do is mail the cd home and continue on with the card empty.

Bob Anderson
04-25-2007, 14:15
Thank you for all responses - info appreciated.

J Edgar