PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear question

Swiss Roll
04-17-2007, 09:36
Irritating newbie question of the day: I have read that rain jackets don't really keep you dry because of the heat/sweat they hold in. So why don't more people use a poncho? That would allow more air circulation and it can double as a pack cover. I must be overlooking something, what is it?

Midway Sam
04-17-2007, 09:39
My one experience with a poncho was enough. It was a particularly windy weekend and the poncho was very kite-like. Also, the poncho tended to snag in surrounding growth quite a bit.

I don't have a problem with rain jackets. My Precip vents nicely with the pit-zips open.

EWS
04-17-2007, 09:42
You just have to try to ventilate them properly. Goretex is overrated IMHO. I don't like ponchos because with rain there is usually wind, and the damn thing drove me nuts blowing around, but there a people who really like them. Packa is the poncho/packcover.

chazmo
04-17-2007, 11:04
Do you like a poncho versus a rain jacket is the same question as do you like a Ford versus a Chevy.

You can debate pros and cons till you turn blue. It all depends on what YOU prefer.

That said, I like ponchos. ;)

hammock engineer
04-17-2007, 11:33
Ask away.

I like rainjackets. Look up the Packa made by Cedar Tree that posts here. It is a hybrid of both. I have not used it, but others have with good results.

My raincoat has pit zips and a back vent. I only wear it when it is cold as a wind breaker or cold rain. When it is warm I don't mind getting wet.