PDA

View Full Version : SoBo 2008

snifur
04-17-2007, 10:00
SOBO, Me->Ga June 2008, looking for travel partner either male or female, to hang for any or all of the trip. This will be my first attempt to thru hike the AT. Wahoo for me! Any one interested?

Freeleo
04-17-2007, 11:18
welcome snifur:welcome
what is your target start date???

jeff

snifur
04-17-2007, 12:28
Looking at 1 June 2008 but i am flexible. Start date prefered would be as soon as Baxter opens unless they can give me an early go departure. Do they give waivers?

Dancer
04-18-2007, 12:47
I have been giving it a lot of thought lately and think that a '08 SOBO will be perfect. I see the opportunity for a break in the career between jobs. Snifur, keep in touch and maybe we can share transportation and/or hike together if we get along ok, I can be a witch when I'm cold/hot or hurting.

snifur
04-18-2007, 23:53
Good reason to partner up. When ur mood drops it helps to have someone there. Who knows, if u turn into a wicked evil trail witch, then that might be incentive 4 me to pick up the pace. LOL. Amazon, how long u been planning? I am all about sharing the trans, trek and stories, just dont touch my cup.

Dancer
04-19-2007, 20:31
Good reason to partner up. When ur mood drops it helps to have someone there. Who knows, if u turn into a wicked evil trail witch, then that might be incentive 4 me to pick up the pace. LOL. Amazon, how long u been planning? I am all about sharing the trans, trek and stories, just dont touch my cup.

Don't worry, I'm phobic about drinking behind anybody, even family, especially my family:rolleyes: . And keep your hands out of my GORP baggie, that's just nasty too.

I've been dreaming of hiking the trail since I was 15 or 16 when I read a magazine article about it. I just can't seem to get my crap together to go do it. I'm single and have to pay the bills you know. I am sitting down this weekend and drafting a plan to get out of debt, save the money and start getting in shape. I know I've said it before but 2008 is going to be my year.

Julie aka Amazonwoman aka wicked evil trail witch :eek: :D

warraghiyagey
04-19-2007, 20:36
. . . I can be a b*tch when I'm cold/hot or hurting.

Hmmm. . . that's a tall order where the temperature is perfect the entire length of the trail and devoid of blisters and joint and back pain. I'd like to order one of those thrus myself.:) :)

snifur
04-19-2007, 23:32
I have to be honest. Everyone talks of blisters, but i dont get them. i have gone out for 10 day treks and never got one. i wear ankle high nylon socks with woolies over them and it seems to work for me. joint and back pain tho i agree. The best way to mitigate that pain tho is with the right pack and boots. You will still be sore in the muscles but not as much pain. can you order perfect trail conditions? who do i place the order with?

Dancer
04-20-2007, 17:07
Hmmm. . . that's a tall order where the temperature is perfect the entire length of the trail and devoid of blisters and joint and back pain. I'd like to order one of those thrus myself.:) :)

I know what to expect on the trail, my hike is bound to be like the rest of life. I will have great days and low days and I might even cry some days. I want to see what I'm made of. If I can do this I can do anything.

I originally planned a solo so that when I have low days no one else has to hear me complain or see me cry (not a pretty sight).

Julie aka Amazon woman aka evil trail b*tch

Dancer
04-20-2007, 17:10
Reading back over that I should have added a smiley or something.... sounds kinda b*tchy... : D

Julie or AW or ETB

mweinstone
04-20-2007, 19:27
you cant be nasty sister. your sweet thru and thru. im thinkin i may start with you next february. thats if i change your start date to mine and invite myself and then dump you when i get my legs like i dump everyone after a few hundred miles. i like to start so slow then speed up after damascus. whats your start date if you go? and are you commin to trail days julie? ill be in camp riff raff.

Dancer
04-21-2007, 13:10
you cant be nasty sister. your sweet thru and thru. im thinkin i may start with you next february. thats if i change your start date to mine and invite myself and then dump you when i get my legs like i dump everyone after a few hundred miles. i like to start so slow then speed up after damascus. whats your start date if you go? and are you commin to trail days julie? ill be in camp riff raff.

Hey Matty!

If you are hikin' with me we're going SOBO sugar. I've decided to go MeGa. I just don't think I could survive getting attached to you and then getting dumped. You've already stollen my heart...

I want to make Trail Days but work is really rough right now. I will try though. I guess I could call in sick for a few days... We'll see.

td321
04-21-2007, 18:01
SOBO, Me->Ga June 2008, looking for travel partner either male or female, to hang for any or all of the trip. This will be my first attempt to thru hike the AT. Wahoo for me! Any one interested?

Snifur-
Wish i could hike it all, but work certainly gets in the way. Could possibly swing a week here and there... you know, just enough to get on your nerves and then i'd be gone. i'd better stick to the beginning of the hike or else i'd never keep up. good luck!!

mweinstone
04-22-2007, 00:46
dear juliewoman of amozonia,.........not only will you be pitching next to my tent at traildays, i also see you and me starting on katadhin and finishing in georgia. all is cool. just got done packing for traildays. im good to go. and can you please teach me how to be cool? i am so lame! i thaught we would start with how not to be a dufus. when i see you in damascus im gonna hug you pritty tight. it might hurt. be careful.i cant wait till we are together whenever that is. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxooxxooxoxxoxxooxoxoxmat

snifur
04-22-2007, 05:39
can anyone tell me how much cash on average one spends to do the AT? I know there are alot of variables that will sway the curve. i am looking for a raw number. I read once that it cost one guy about $1.10 per mile. Then i read also that one couple spent $9k for them both. I would like a good figure if anyone knows of one. I must stress, i am not a tight wad! just concened about being jobless for a few months.

EWS
04-22-2007, 06:20
Everything I've read has said about $2k pinching pennies and $3k with a suitable amount of luxury, with the biggest cost being food.

I could see $9k for a couple. Decent chain hotels quickly add up at $80-$100 ea, which some couples may want, and a night out can easily cost a couple $100-$200 if they're not drinking well drinks or domestic draft beer.

Best travel advice I know of: Take half the chit and twice the money you think you'll need.

Mr.Owl
04-22-2007, 07:55
My partner in crime and I will be headed SB starting in June as well. Also taking a break from careers etc - hopefully we will bump in to each other.

snifur
04-23-2007, 00:26
EWS - Great advice. Been wagging $3-4k myself. My over seas travels have taught me the same- half the chit and twice the cash. With one issued duffle and a wallet of cash it is amazing how far one can get.

Mr. Owl, good to hear from u. Stay in touch! I am hoping that this thread will put the SoBoers of '08 in touch and provide some good info. If anything, we will at least know the names in the registry as we pass thru.

Dancer
04-23-2007, 13:43
and can you please teach me how to be cool? i am so lame! i thaught we would start with how not to be a dufus.

Come on Matty, you are like one of the coolest guys I know, you and The Dude. Can't wait to see you.

Julie

Dancer
04-23-2007, 13:47
EWS - Great advice. Been wagging $3-4k myself. My over seas travels have taught me the same- half the chit and twice the cash. With one issued duffle and a wallet of cash it is amazing how far one can get.

I'm thinking about $4000 and breaking it down by the week. If I go over one week I'll shave it off the next so that I don't have to pull too tight at the end. I may eve budget more for the last two months so that I can splurge a little if my resolve is wearing thinner than my boot treads and I'm cold and need some warm gear.

Julie

Old Hillwalker
04-23-2007, 15:23
Hey Matthew, Did I just read that you are going SOBO in 08. That's my gig dude. Gonna go as soon as I can get my job tied up at the end of the school year. Hopefully before June 15th. You SOBOnders ought to come to my house and cache stuff. THen when we walk by my front door we can party, eat and sleep, then head out again with a spring in our step for Springer....

After the wind storm we had up here in the Western Whites on April 14 and 15, looks like I'l be cutting blowdowns for the next six weeks. Look for my bog bridges, they all have HW carved into them:p

EWS
04-23-2007, 22:45
I've been thinking about setting aside $5k for from the time I leave home till I get back, excluding bills. Roughly $500 for transport to and from the trail, $500 for shoes, $500 for replacement equipment and Aqua Mira, $500 for if I don't quit smoking, $3000 for food, board, laundry, and booze. I don't like having to worry about funds when I'm on vacation, it can kill the experience for me sometimes and at other time has made it a hell of a lot more interesting.

snifur
04-24-2007, 00:32
like i said, there are a lot of figures floating out there on how much one blows on the trip. $3-5k sounds reasonable for a few months.
-EWS, you faliled to price out for the concubines.
-Hillwalker, i will be in the whites in June. R u seriously that close to the AT? A cache drop at ur place in NH sounds like the perfect time to come off the trail for a day and chill in '08.

EWS
04-24-2007, 00:50
-EWS, you faliled to price out for the concubines.

I got a good deal in Kashistan, so I paid for them in full. I have them currently working in a sweatshop in sewing in tags for Abercrombie and Finch t-shirts, so they can afford they're own gruel while not doing fulltime slave labor.;)

snifur
04-24-2007, 01:02
i am near Kashistan now myself, except that there are no concubines. heck, even if there was, i would only get a 3min rinse off w/ a bottle to clean up after them.

EWS
04-24-2007, 01:54
Which FOB are you at?

snifur
04-24-2007, 02:00
Endurance. You?

snifur
04-25-2007, 03:17
Can anyone tell me if Katahdin ever opens earlier than 1 June? Also, I know Katahdin is not like Springer, but how many people start out on average from there? Oh, and since there may be a small bug problem in those neck of the woods, does anyone know the best way to convince the bugs to eat up my partner so i can hike bug free?

Dancer
04-26-2007, 16:56
Can anyone tell me if Katahdin ever opens earlier than 1 June? Also, I know Katahdin is not like Springer, but how many people start out on average from there? Oh, and since there may be a small bug problem in those neck of the woods, does anyone know the best way to convince the bugs to eat up my partner so i can hike bug free?

I've done some research and I don't think you can go up any earlier.

Oh! and as a potential hiking partner I'm offended that you would wish the bugs on me! You are on your own, you freak! :D

mweinstone
04-26-2007, 19:05
right on! whatever julie said. im trying my hand at trolling. anyone mad? cause our thread needs spice. wanna play strip poker anyone?

Dancer
04-27-2007, 16:45
right on! whatever julie said. im trying my hand at trolling. anyone mad? cause our thread needs spice. wanna play strip poker anyone?

That would probably be a short game. I bet you pervs are sitting around posting in your boxers. ;)

Julie

mweinstone
04-27-2007, 19:29
wearing a towel. just got home from work. you aw root beer, i want you to be my shaperone at trail days. i gonna get pritty out of hand. your dutys include makeing sure im tucked in and read a story. and your main duty is getting hugged!

Dancer
04-29-2007, 18:50
Sorry Matty, not looking good for me getting to Trail Days. You may want to look for another chaperone. Looks like I'll be chained to my desk that weekend. I'll keep trying but don't get your hopes up.

Hey Snifur,

You are from Maine. How far do you live from the trail?

Julie

snifur
05-01-2007, 04:01
Yes i am proudly a Maineiac! Oh, i am quite a ways from the trail. Too far for any excursion off the trail. Look up Cornish Maine on the maps. Small town near Ossipee, NH.

snifur
07-15-2007, 16:40
Just got back from Iraq and all settled in back here in New England. Trying to get out and log some miles on the trails. I am still shooting for a 2008 SoBo.
Amazon Woman, u still game?
Does anyone know any others that are serious about a heading south in 2008?

Jack Tarlin
07-15-2007, 16:58
Snifur--

Welcome home and thank you!!

Katahdin is open year-round, as far as I know, but you should check with the Park Office and Rangers if you're planning to be in the Park before 1 June. There are special rules and regulations on "early" use involving camping, etc., and they definitely will want to talk to you about your gear, experience, conditioning, the weather, etc. They might also insist you climb with other people as a pre-caution. In any case, if you go to www.baxterstateparkauthority.com, there's lots of info, plus numbers you can call if you have other questions. Good luck!! (You can also send a personal message to Teej here at WB who seems to know more about Baxter than anyone else here!)

Dancer
07-16-2007, 09:26

I'm more dedicated than ever! I got a huge raise recently so the money is going to be no problem. I'm going to do a local overnight gear shakedown soon. It will be September before I can take vacation and go put any footprints on the trail. Any ideas?? Let me know. Just keep it moderate. I'm a flatlander and need to start small.

Amazonwoman (Julie)

snifur
07-18-2007, 20:50
J-T, thanks for the link. Great info in there!

wesxero
07-22-2007, 02:49
Just got back from Iraq and all settled in back here in New England. Trying to get out and log some miles on the trails. I am still shooting for a 2008 SoBo.
Does anyone know any others that are serious about a heading south in 2008?
Yea, I'm heading SOBO after I get back from Iraq and finally get out. I'm looking at a June start myself. Days are flexible. I kinda need some flexibility after being in ya know.

snifur
07-27-2007, 14:08
wesxero, welcometo WB!
I here u on your return! Keep in touch. Looking forward to meeting u on the trail. Feel free to message me if u got any questions. L8tr.

naturejunkie
08-12-2007, 12:25
I was SOBO this year, but was forced off due to knee injury. I will be going again in 2008, although I am not certain if it will be SOBO again. If so, I will be there June 1.

Shout out to Warraghiyagey, Tortuga and Angel. The chill peeps I started with this year.

Peace,
Naturejunkie (formerly hikerchris)

SawnieRobertson
08-12-2007, 12:49
can anyone tell me how much cash on average one spends to do the AT? I know there are alot of variables that will sway the curve. i am looking for a raw number. I read once that it cost one guy about $1.10 per mile. Then i read also that one couple spent $9k for them both. I would like a good figure if anyone knows of one. I must stress, i am not a tight wad! just concened about being jobless for a few months.

Snifur, when you go into a big, indoor mall, you might have "X" number of dollars in your pocket. How much of that you have when you leave depends on how much you choose to let go of. Malls have all sorts of great, interesting, delightful, even tasty offerings. Once you've got your gear in place, how much you spend thereafter is still up to you . How much does the average visit to a super-sized mall average in cost? Who knows.--Kinnickinic

naturejunkie
08-25-2007, 11:33
Speak up SOBOs! Why so quiet? How's everyone's planning going? Anyone need advice? Represent! We have a reputation to maintain.:banana

dvhiker
08-25-2007, 13:01
I am planning hiking May 2008. I am going to have about $5000 just to be on the safe side. Taking 4 months off from work and have been planning this for a couple of years. This will be a dream come true and at age 55 my family thinks I am crazy. I do a lot of day hiking. I have peaked Mt. Whitney twice and do it all in a day. I am definitely ready!!

dvhiker
08-25-2007, 13:04
I am planning to hike the AT May 2008. I want to start at Springer. Is this a good idea or bad idea. Don't know if it is better to start in Maine? Any comments.

naturejunkie
08-25-2007, 14:44
Starting at Springer is easier hiking, but much larger crowds. Starting on Katahdin is much harder hiking, but the crowds are much smaller. Depends what you are looking for in your hike. I think about 90% go NOBO and about 10% go SOBO generally, not including flip-floppers. I decided on SOBO because I was inspired by a SOBO journal I read and, time wise, it just worked out better.

Willo
08-26-2007, 00:56
sobo is the way i want to go, ever since i read waterfall's journal, have you read it? great read especially if you are a woman planning to hike on your own.

naturejunkie
08-27-2007, 13:01
Another great one for girls is Tinkerbell's SOBO journal, from 2004 or 2005 I think. It is also just a great journal for any southbounder to read as it is loaded with information for SOBO'ers.

Old Hillwalker
08-27-2007, 18:48
I'm still on track to leave O/A June 15th. My house is a mile from the trail, just down Cape Moonshine road, up on Atwell Hill. I'm planning on a major equipment switch and resupply upon reaching there. Other SOBOs might consider that too. I will keep posting until I depart for "K" in June 2008.

Dancer
08-28-2007, 13:35
My main reason for choosing SOBO is that I'm southern and I think that I would rather be in Maine in June and then walk South with the fall than to start in the spring in Georgia and face midatlantic summer. Summer in New England is much cooler (or less humid) and I do better hiking in cooler weather. I can handle VA, NC and GA in Nov-Dec. That's my home turf.

surefoot
08-28-2007, 14:06
I’m with you Amazon woman! My son is planning a thru hike SOBO June 15th after graduating from college with two of his friends. I am planning to go along for as long as I can before having to go back to work. We are going SOBO due to the time frame but being from Louisiana I know all about the heat and humidity. It kills your endurance and just makes you plain miserable. Maybe we will see you there as one of his friends is female. It would be nice to know who he is hiking with after I leave the trail. I know he will be 22 years old, is a big man, and “raised in the woods” all his life but, parents can’t help but worry.

chip B
08-29-2007, 12:59
Hi I Think About 4k Is The Answer Gives Some Nights Of Motel 8 And Some Good Meals.. Dont Have To Spend All
I Am Sobo Leaving About Mid June Have Done Katahdin Already But Might Consider Starting At The Top Again Or Just Abol Bridge I Go Very Slow Average 8 To 10 Miles A Day In No Hurry

snifur
09-01-2007, 09:46
9 months until absolute freedom ! ! ! Fellow SoBoers it is closing in fast!

warraghiyagey
09-01-2007, 09:55
Hi I Think About 4k Is The Answer Gives Some Nights Of Motel 8 And Some Good Meals.. Dont Have To Spend All
I Am Sobo Leaving About Mid June Have Done Katahdin Already But Might Consider Starting At The Top Again Or Just Abol Bridge I Go Very Slow Average 8 To 10 Miles A Day In No Hurry

Be a darn shame to be that close to Katahdin and not spend some time with her to kick off your hike. Starting to look like I'll be there 1st week of June 08 again. Hey Chris . . . errrr, naturejunkie, got your start date figured out yet?

naturejunkie
09-03-2007, 15:33
Be a darn shame to be that close to Katahdin and not spend some time with her to kick off your hike. Starting to look like I'll be there 1st week of June 08 again. Hey Chris . . . errrr, naturejunkie, got your start date figured out yet?

Same time, same place: June 1, 2008. And, your right about spending time on Katahdin. Nothing like spending time with that cranky @#&% bitch to send you down the trail. :D

warraghiyagey
09-03-2007, 16:13
Same time, same place: June 1, 2008. And, your right about spending time on Katahdin. Nothing like spending time with that cranky @#&% bitch to send you down the trail. :D

Or as my sweaty, completely exhausted and mentally drained friend said on the way down The Big K in a little easy and pretty area - "Hi, I'm Katahdin. Aren't I cute?"

naturejunkie
09-07-2007, 13:16
I don't wanna wait another nine months to leave. I am feeling most impatient.

warraghiyagey
09-07-2007, 16:42
I don't wanna wait another nine months to leave. I am feeling most impatient.

Fortunately, I'm techinically still on the trail. I'll be meeting my friends up in Pearisburg and finishing to Springer. Then back to Katahdin June 1 or so.
Peace

snifur
09-08-2007, 00:08
These 9 months should go by fast. lots of food prep still to do. Still testing gear options and working out kinks in planning. almost seems futile since i know once i get out there i am gonna end up winging most of it.

wakapak
09-08-2007, 00:10
reading this thread is making me wanna go back out again....Hmmm

snifur
09-08-2007, 00:15
go ahead and take the time off...you hiked it in 99 and 02 and they do say good things come in 3's.

wakapak
09-08-2007, 00:23
take the time off?? i am not working at the moment...currently starting up a new career and have an astronomical student loan hovering (which can hover for awhile). Unfortunately, as much as I dont like to have it run things in life, money is the key factor here. Just dont have it right now. But who knows, things change....and i'm always, always up for shaking my life up!

L Tee
09-22-2007, 00:00
amazon...you sure seem to be the popular one in the group

Suzzz
09-22-2007, 12:23
Hi Hillwalker,

How long do you think it might take from Katahdyn to your house? How many days/miles?

I will start my first section SOBO in 08. Your place seems like a good place to get off the trail. Or was your offer only extended to thru-hikers?

Old Hillwalker
09-22-2007, 16:09
From Katahdin it's exactly 405.9 trail miles to my house. It is located one mile from the trail crossing of Cape Moonshine road. The last shelter passed is Ore Hill. As far as how long it will take to make this leg of the hike varies with the hiker. My guess is 30 to 40 days but could be less depending upon what weather the White Mountains throw at us. In nice weather I enjoy going slow through the Whites since they are my year round playground and are very dear to me. I'm planning on my thru being a vacation and not a race from one end to the other. Adjusting my pace to permit a group arrival at the Hillhouse is just fine with me. I'll call ahead to friends and have the place stocked with food and drink. Hopefully the BBQ grille will be smoking as we walk down the dirt road to the house:D Come on June!!!!!

snifur
09-22-2007, 19:31
Looking forward to meeting up with you all.
Hillwalker, you mind if i have my morale support / logistics POC bring some grub and resupply at your place?

Old Hillwalker
09-22-2007, 22:27
snifur and Suzzz......why not.

warraghiyagey
09-23-2007, 01:28
[quote=Hillwalker;412162]From Katahdin it's exactly 405.9 trail miles to my house. It is located one mile from the trail crossing of Cape Moonshine road. The last shelter passed is Ore Hill. As far as how long it will take to make this leg of the hike varies with the hiker. My guess is 30 to 40 days but could be less depending upon what weather the White Mountains throw at us. quote]

Wow, Ore Hill from Katahdin in 30 days or less? That's moving along for the best of them starting a SOBO. Snifur and all, hope to see you on the trail at Baxter next June 1. I just decided. Can't resist. Much of my time on the trail in Maine is usually taken with the thought of needing to do this again.
SOBO8.:)
Peace all
Warraghiyagey

Dancer
09-23-2007, 14:06
amazon...you sure seem to be the popular one in the group

LOL... I guess there is a first time for everything. I'm just looking forward to 6 months with good friends, no alarm clock, no tv, no phone, no computer. As hard as I know it is going to be I need to slow down my chaotic life.

I don't know how popular I'll be on the trail though. I don't intend to shave my legs or pits and will very likely shave my head before heading north. I'm also quite b*tchy in the morning and not great company if I'm having a bad day. Probably the same reasons I'm not popular now and maybe why I'm still single.:D

Can't wait to get out there, not long now!

AW

L Tee
09-23-2007, 17:57
haha well make sure you post a before pictures so we will have something to compare tooby we see you bald/hairy on those oh so lovely 6am hikes.

im another SOBO who would rather end at home in the south -Atlanta, GA- than up north. it only seems right to do so.

im looking foward to it.

snifur
09-26-2007, 20:05
AW or ETB, i think by the sounds of it you are going to fit right in with everyone else as far as the hair growth, stank and b*tchness is. if you find that fellow hikers are avoiding you, just make breakfast in the morning for everyone. i will at least eat with the ETB of the AT in the AM.

Satori
09-27-2007, 10:44
Hello all,
I'm new to the site but I am planning on a southbound hike starting June 1, 2008. This will be my first thru hike but I'm ready for the challenge and to see all of you out there!

warraghiyagey
09-27-2007, 11:16
Hello all,
I'm new to the site but I am planning on a southbound hike starting June 1, 2008. This will be my first thru hike but I'm ready for the challenge and to see all of you out there!

Hey Satori shouldn't you be in Paris? Hahahahah. I crack myself up. Well, as long as you're On the Road or trail with a great group of Dharma Bums I guess you're in the right place. See you June 1st.:)

snifur
09-27-2007, 22:22
Satori, welcome to WB!

naturejunkie
09-28-2007, 15:29
For relaxing times, try Satori Times... :) Of course, for some of you this may be lost in translation:D Oh my god, I crack myself up...:rolleyes:

snifur
09-30-2007, 21:48
Does anyone know of a good winter training program to prep for a 2200 mile casual summer walk through a dozen states? Is there a forum here in WB where there is a discussion on this that i might be overlooking?

Dancer
10-01-2007, 04:55
I'm officially in training for my thru. I am overweight so I am hitting the cardio 6 days a week and the weights 3 days a week. I'm going to start moving 2 of my cardio days out of the gym and onto a three story staircase and make my Saturday cardio something big and all day like a dayhike or an all day bike trip.

In January I'm going to reevaluate my workouts and make them more backpacker specific. Right now it's all about shedding the pounds.

Snifur, thanks for the social advice. I'll keep that in mind but my cooking might make things worse!

8 & 1/2 months to go!!!!!! I can't wait!

AW aka Evil Trail B*tch

L Tee
10-01-2007, 07:44
living in maine in winter is a training plan in itself.

quasarr
10-01-2007, 14:20
I don't know how popular I'll be on the trail though. I don't intend to shave my legs or pits

shoot, I already don't do that and people seem to like me ok :p

My boyfriend and I are both graduating college in May 08, and are planning a southbound thru hike starting June or July. I would be really excited to see you guys on the trail! :banana

L Tee
10-01-2007, 17:44
My boyfriend and I are both graduating college in May 08, and are planning a southbound thru hike starting June or July. I would be really excited to see you guys on the trail! :banana

doing the same thing after graduation

quasarr
10-01-2007, 22:00
time to put that education to use. too bad I never took Tarp Knots 101 :p

EWS
10-02-2007, 01:20
It looks like I'll have to head south, instead of north as planned, next year. After I get back from Afghanistan I'm going to spend some time with my family and friends. Afterwards, I may head back down to South Africa to take some classes, and become one notch away from a commercial yachting license, or depending on how time is going just spend an extra six weeks and get the endorsement. Then I need to go down to Guatemala for a month or so, and do some maintenance on my boat so I can sail it or sale it without taking a too much of a loss. Everything should work out about right for a June start. I have to say that a New England summer sounds much nicer than a Southern spring for a start too.

Dancer
10-02-2007, 07:09
After I get back from Afghanistan...

EWS,

Get home safe. Thank you for your service.

Everybody,

Looks like I'm the old chick going SOBO... I'll be 35. Anybody that starts with the old jokes might accidentally lose their footing at the most inopportune time. Just kidding :D

AW

L Tee
10-02-2007, 07:15
your not old...your only half way to 70!!!

oh, wait...

L Tee
10-02-2007, 07:16
good thing ive got tough ankles :)

Suzzz
10-02-2007, 09:29
Looks like I'm the old chick going SOBO... I'll be 35. Anybody that starts with the old jokes might accidentally lose their footing at the most inopportune time. Just kidding :D

AW[/quote]

Well, I won't be doing a thru-hike but I plan to start my section SOBO from Katadhyn on June 1st and by that time I'll be 41. If anyone messes with you about your age, send them my way, I can take them! Lol... Age is only a number, except when you try to follow the youngens.

warraghiyagey
10-02-2007, 13:03
AW and Suzzz - I'll be at Katahdin Stream June 1st for the third year in a row. When you're there, age is out the window and it is just beautiful people in a beautiful place. BTW I'm 41 going on 20. The trail doesn't measure a person by the amount of circles when you cut them in half.:rolleyes:
But by the spirit and love they have, their synergy with nature.
Enjoy your hikes.:) :)

snifur
10-02-2007, 16:18
What is all this talk about age? Y'all should be happy w/ the fact you are committing to something that most 20 somethings have never heard of and or could never dream of. Y'all be ok in my book even if some or one of you do make threats of bad cooking, foul body odors, and bad hair grooming. BTW, did i mention i now have a date i will attempt to finish on? Looking at my 32 birthday in November 2008. My boy will turn 11 a few days before and will be waiting for me on Springer. Party hats and Pizza not included.

surefoot
10-05-2007, 19:28
I will be starting SOBO with my son around the middle of June. I’ll make my 50th birthday on the trail. I will have to drop out after about 6 weeks but he will be going all the way. I have to get back to work and he will have just graduated college. He was supposed to have two class mates going with him but they had to drop out already. It would be nice to meet some SOBO people so he has company after I’m gone. Also to know he has someone watching his back.

warraghiyagey
10-05-2007, 21:58
I will be starting SOBO with my son around the middle of June. I’ll make my 50th birthday on the trail. I will have to drop out after about 6 weeks but he will be going all the way. I have to get back to work and he will have just graduated college. He was supposed to have two class mates going with him but they had to drop out already. It would be nice to meet some SOBO people so he has company after I’m gone. Also to know he has someone watching his back.

Surefoot, not to worry. Enjoy your hike, hope you get a chance to meet him in other areas along the trail. And for sure if you spend six weeks on the trail you will get to know well the people he will hike with along the way. SOBOS take care of their own. I'll be starting June 1st with a relaxed pace on my mind to enjoy again the experience and may even meet him before I'm through.
No worries dad. It'll be the greatest experience you could wish for him, and yourself.:)

chip B
10-06-2007, 11:20
Surefoot.. I Am 56 Starting Sobo Around June 15 Th Will Be Watching For You Chipmonk

surefoot
10-06-2007, 18:40
Thanks for the reassuring words. We probably will catch up to you as we tend to be fast hikers. Not that we try to be but I am 6ft 2in and he is about 5ft 11in and we just tend to have a long stride. I know he wants to be finished around Thanksgiving so he can make hunting season back home. He loves to deer hunt and wants to be home for that.

I told him about this site but I don’t think he has visited it yet. Between school, work, and his girl friend, his time is limited. I’ve already told him his trail name is going to be Splash because on our previous hikes it seemed that every time we had to cross a stream, I gingerly stepped across while he got wet. Once he even looked at a stream and said, “I’m not even going to try” and started taking off his boots. As he took off his boots I carefully picked a route and was sitting on the opposite side when he looked up. He looked at me as if to say, how the Hell did you do that, then proceeded across holding his boots in his hand. Half way across he slipped and put his hand down to catch himself and dunked his boots. I couldn’t help but laugh.

So be looking for 2 pretty big, southern accent, father and son, with green and blue Osprey Ether backpacks. As of right now we are looking to hit the trail June 15th.

quasarr
10-07-2007, 16:14
hello Surefoot, I will keep an eye out for you guys. That's a funny story about his boots getting dunked!!

surefoot
10-07-2007, 19:37
Hi quasarr, when are you hitting the trail? One thing that has amazed me when I started looking into all the information on the trail is the diversity of all the individuals that hike and how they take care of one another. From age difference, personality, and occupation, it seems that everyone, or at least most everyone, get along pretty well. I was surprised when I read about the young lady that dropped out because of the individual that was harassing her. I don’t worry about other individuals so much as I do him getting hurt some way and no one around to lend a hand. Just can’t help being a parent.

Dancer
10-08-2007, 05:23
AW and Suzzz - I'll be at Katahdin Stream June 1st for the third year in a row. When you're there, age is out the window and it is just beautiful people in a beautiful place. BTW I'm 41 going on 20. The trail doesn't measure a person by the amount of circles when you cut them in half.:rolleyes:
But by the spirit and love they have, their synergy with nature.
Enjoy your hikes.:) :)

That is so sweet! Thank you.

General Lee, I like you already.

Suzzzz, I'm not starting until the 14th but maybe we'll run into each other somewhere.

What gives me hope it that the women that do triathalons (sp?) and do well are usually in their 30 and 40s. Long distance hiking is about endurance too. I think that it's just as much a mental game as a physical one and us older chicks are more grounded and experienced. We know a few things about life that y'all twenty-somethings won't get for awhile. Enjoy it though, I sometimes miss being young and idealistic. :)

AW

Dancer
10-08-2007, 05:27
What is all this talk about age? Y'all should be happy w/ the fact you are committing to something that most 20 somethings have never heard of and or could never dream of. Y'all be ok in my book even if some or one of you do make threats of bad cooking, foul body odors, and bad hair grooming. BTW, did i mention i now have a date i will attempt to finish on? Looking at my 32 birthday in November 2008. My boy will turn 11 a few days before and will be waiting for me on Springer. Party hats and Pizza not included.

You have a kid? That's scary! ;) Just kidding. I think it's cool that he's meeting you on Springer.

AW

Suzzz
10-08-2007, 09:47
What gives me hope it that the women that do triathalons (sp?) and do well are usually in their 30 and 40s. Long distance hiking is about endurance too.
AW

It is a known fact that you have more endurance as you get older. That's why endurance sports such as marathons, triathlons, etc. are usually won by athletes in their 30s & 40s while sports that are more in the ''spint'' categories are usually won by younger athletes in their 20s. The moral of the story, they're stronger and faster but we're tougher. So getting older is not necessarily all bad. And like it was said before, age is only a number.

rafe
10-08-2007, 10:26
It is a known fact that you have more endurance as you get older.

Hmm. Is that so? Seems to me as you get older, you get smarter about conserving energy. Any adult who's hiked with kids has seen this -- young folks have so much energy, but they squander it. With age (hopefully) comes the wisdom to conserve what's left. ;)

Suzzz
10-08-2007, 10:34
Hmm. Is that so? Seems to me as you get older, you get smarter about conserving energy. Any adult who's hiked with kids has seen this -- young folks have so much energy, but they squander it. With age (hopefully) comes the wisdom to conserve what's left. ;)

Maybe so but the end result is the same isn't it? Anyway, when I was in training (cycling) coaches and all the articles I read talked about how one's endurance got better with age. I think it's a combination of both.

warraghiyagey
10-08-2007, 10:42
Maybe so but the end result is the same isn't it? Anyway, when I was in training (cycling) coaches and all the articles I read talked about how one's endurance got better with age. I think it's a combination of both.

Anyone who has made it into their 30's has felt the effects of increased endurance. Things that your teen or 20 something body would have given up on the older, denser musculed, thicker body can make happen. It's pretty much a fact.:) :)

quasarr
10-08-2007, 12:21
Hi quasarr, when are you hitting the trail? One thing that has amazed me when I started looking into all the information on the trail is the diversity of all the individuals that hike and how they take care of one another.

My boyfriend and I are graduating college in May 08, and we will be heading out in June or July. I guess it depends on how long it takes to get my stuff together!

Carp
10-08-2007, 22:20
Checking in. Myself and an associate will be departing Springer on the 27th of March.

Oh what fun we will have.

surefoot
10-09-2007, 01:27
Well congratulations on your graduation quasarr. My son also graduates in May and since it will be just the two of us it looks like we will be getting to Baxter State Park around June 8th. Not sure how we are going to get there yet. Going to look at one way flights or renting a car. Long drive from Louisiana to Maine but if we go that route with two of us driving we can do it in a couple of days. Looks like we may be starting before you so if we don’t see you good luck.:)

L Tee
10-23-2007, 17:22
I graduate in May as well. Only took 7 years, 5 different colleges, 3 different major changes and way too much of my parents money haha

L Tee
11-11-2007, 20:54
no south bound love for a while. hows everyone coming along?

steele creek
11-17-2007, 03:45
hey my buddy that was going with me isnt going anymore im supposed to be leaving around the end of may but can be flexible

Old Hillwalker
11-17-2007, 10:50
Hopefully the school district I consult for won't have too many snow days this winter so that I can get out of there quickly after the end of the school year. The last day right now is June 12th. Hopefully my last day will be the 13th.

Being a skiier the last sixty years of my life I usually pray for snow all winter. Now I'm praying it only comes on weekends ;)

I see a lot of people are heading South around the first of June. Guess I will just have to use my long legs to catch up with y'all.

211 days 9 hours and 20 minutes to go

L Tee
11-17-2007, 20:15
baxter wont be open at the end of may.

Kirby
11-17-2007, 20:16

Depends on the winter, there is a good chance it won't be, but it has opened at the end of May before, you have to wait and see what winter brings up here before you determine what day to start.

Kirby

warraghiyagey
11-18-2007, 06:26

'Hate to disagree with your police work there Lou,' but Baxter State Park was open this year when I got there on May 31 and had been for a couple weeks and it was also open in May the year before.
This year the Hunt Trail was didn't open officially until June 2 but I was fortunate enough to get a pass up it on the 1st. As Kirby says, it all depends on the weather.

L Tee
11-18-2007, 10:15
yeah guys, if you want to sit and wait for a week or so then be my guest.

Kirby
11-18-2007, 13:16
if you are starting SOBO, you can start late May, just be prepared to wait for the Hunt Trail to open, most seasons it is open by mid-June, usually by the first week of June.

Kirby

ye olde shiza
11-25-2007, 22:49
I just started planning for a thru-trek in 2008, and I'm conflicted on whether or not to go NoBo or SoBo. I am not very experienced as a hiker, with no overnight hikes under my belt (though I plan on going for atleast 4 or 5 overnighters beforehand to test equipment). I am 28, and in decent shape (from running and cycling).

Is the SoBo too difficult for someone with little experience? I am really seeking solitude more than the "spring break mentality" that someone said the NoBo hike has. At the same time, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

warraghiyagey
11-25-2007, 23:00
yeah guys, if you want to sit and wait for a week or so then be my guest.
???? Yikes dude.:confused: :confused: :(

warraghiyagey
11-25-2007, 23:08
I just started planning for a thru-trek in 2008, and I'm conflicted on whether or not to go NoBo or SoBo. I am not very experienced as a hiker, with no overnight hikes under my belt (though I plan on going for atleast 4 or 5 overnighters beforehand to test equipment). I am 28, and in decent shape (from running and cycling).

Is the SoBo too difficult for someone with little experience? I am really seeking solitude more than the "spring break mentality" that someone said the NoBo hike has. At the same time, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
Being in good health is very much in your favor. Folks have thru hiked both directions with little hiking experience. In addition to overnighters you may want to trade in running and cycling for hiking.
Read up, there are some great articles to read on the home page side bar here.
Not everyone who heads outto thru hike finishes. But theonly one that knows if it's more than you can chew is you. If you want to go badly enough, go. Everyday on the trail is success.
And if you're in good shape, try southbound. By the time you get to the mountains of southern Maine you'll have pretty good legs for the challenge.
Peace
Warraghiyagey
SOBO8

Christopher Robin
12-05-2007, 18:38

AW

Well, I won't be doing a thru-hike but I plan to start my section SOBO from Katadhyn on June 1st and by that time I'll be 41. If anyone messes with you about your age, send them my way, I can take them! Lol... Age is only a number, except when you try to follow the youngens.[/quote]
No I think I get to be the oldist 61, @ the end of May or June 1.

Brushfire
12-11-2007, 03:14
Looks like I'll probably be heading out in early June as well.... Walking southward. Although I dont plan to do the whole trail, I'll probably do about half (give or take, money/weather/time).

Hope to see some of you out there, GL in your prep work.

Brian

warraghiyagey
12-11-2007, 07:34
Hey Brushfire,
:welcome
SOBO8 May31ish

Hiker Bee
12-21-2007, 17:49
Hey Guys,

I had initially planned on doing a GAME hike, but now it looks like *if* I do hike it'll be MEGA. I went MEPA in 06 and had a great time. Got eaten up, though. By the time I was out of the wilderness I had abandoned my DEET. That stuff doesn't work on black flies, just gotta hike through it. I'm not sure if I'm going to go MEGA this year or sometime in the future, it all depends on a lot of factors: money, career, time, etc... But I'll definetly be out there sometime. If this year I will be departing in mid-late june.

Here's my tip: pack at least 9 days food for the wilderness. You may not need it, but I know that I over-exerted myself one day and had to take a near-o somewhere in the middle and almost ran out of food. Or, alternatively, there's a "secret" hostel about 30 miles into the wilderness where you can stock up on basics like pasta or oatmeal, and they have killer 1 pound hamburgers there as well as pizza and other goodies. Well worth the 0.5 off the trail or so.

Good luck everyone, and congratulations on deciding to hike!
Hiker Bee

Almost There
12-27-2007, 02:16
Well, I just bought my plane tickets to fly into Portland on June 9th, plan is to hike for 28-29 days I fly back out of Portland on July 9th. Hope to make Mt. Washington to end my hike. I plan on renting a car around noon, and tool around for a little while bus doesn't leave Bangor until 6:30. Anyways, if anyone wants to fly in to Portland(It was cheaper from Atlanta than a train or bus!!!) I'd be willing to share the rental car. I'm planning on starting the 10th of June!

kayak karl
12-27-2007, 06:01
Well, I just bought my plane tickets to fly into Portland on June 9th, plan is to hike for 28-29 days I fly back out of Portland on July 9th. Hope to make Mt. Washington to end my hike. I plan on renting a car around noon, and tool around for a little while bus doesn't leave Bangor until 6:30. Anyways, if anyone wants to fly in to Portland(It was cheaper from Atlanta than a train or bus!!!) I'd be willing to share the rental car. I'm planning on starting the 10th of June!
im concidering sobo rather then a flip-flop. i didnt check flight price from philly, but would concider it. PM me

Doughnut
12-27-2007, 15:56
I just got my maps from ATC, Maine, NH, and VT,
going to section Maine this summer, starting around Jun 23.

Dough Nut

Red Hat
12-29-2007, 12:43
Anyone planning on starting in July? want to avoid those blackflies....

Kirby
12-29-2007, 13:45
Anyone planning on starting in July? want to avoid those blackflies....

They will still be around.

Kirby

Mr.Owl
12-30-2007, 10:49
My wife (buggirl) and I are planning on starting right around then. I think for us it is cheapest to hit Bangor directly; we planned to be there on the 9th or 10th.

Maybe we will see you there.

Mr.Owl
12-30-2007, 10:51
My wife (buggirl) and I are planning on starting right around then. I think for us it is cheapest to hit Bangor directly; we planned to be there on the 9th or 10th.

Maybe we will see you there.

Sorry that was for Karl.:D

Red Hat
01-01-2008, 11:38
New Years Resolution.... start on K on or about July 1, hike south, get er done! Can't wait!

Smile
01-01-2008, 11:42
Great decision Red Hat! I hope you have an awesome hike out there :)

banjotom
01-25-2008, 15:13
I'm heading southbound at the start of june. Hope to meet some good people along the way.

warraghiyagey
01-25-2008, 18:49
I'm heading southbound at the start of june. Hope to meet some good people along the way.
You'll be in good company. Enjoy your hike.
:welcome:welcome
SOBO8

Montego
01-26-2008, 00:19
Welcome to WhiteBlaze banjotom. Hope your hike is good. See 'ya on the trail :welcome

surefoot
01-26-2008, 01:38
Hi everyone, I don’t post here a whole lot but keep up with some of the stuff occasionally especially SOBO post. Just got airline tickets for me and splash1986 and will arrive at Bangor June 6 around 2 PM. Sent an e-mail to one shuttle service to see if they can match our date and time. Going to look into renting a car also to get to Medway or Millinocket. Anyone out there have any experience with this and know a better way? It would be great to get to the park the same day we fly in and if it cost a little more to achieve this I figure it would be worth it as opposed to staying in a hotel the first night.

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 10:44
Hi everyone, I don’t post here a whole lot but keep up with some of the stuff occasionally especially SOBO post. Just got airline tickets for me and splash1986 and will arrive at Bangor June 6 around 2 PM. Sent an e-mail to one shuttle service to see if they can match our date and time. Going to look into renting a car also to get to Medway or Millinocket. Anyone out there have any experience with this and know a better way? It would be great to get to the park the same day we fly in and if it cost a little more to achieve this I figure it would be worth it as opposed to staying in a hotel the first night.
Hey Surefoot,
Give the folks at [email protected] ([email protected]) in Millinocket a jingle. They will probably be able to answer your particular questions best and be the service you're looking for. I'll be a few days ahead of you on the trail. Don't forget to stay at Shaw's in Monson after the 100 Mile Wilderness. Dawn and company are some of the great folk on the trail, and Monson is just perfect for the first town stop. Have a great hike.

surefoot
01-26-2008, 18:39
Thanks for the info. Hope we see you on the trail.

quasarr
01-26-2008, 22:22
Hello all. Since my last post I have been preparing, and I am getting very excited.

Got a free pedometer and I am making sure to walk 10,000 steps per day. And I walk about half of that with a 16.8 lbs backpack (I weighed it at the post office ... they think I'm nuts. :p get used to it guys, I have lots more gear to weigh before this is done with!) I'll increase the weight as summer approaches.

There's not many steep hills here, so to compensate I've been doing stairs. 10 floors up while wearing my backpack. Sometimes I do it twice, but it sure is boring.

Also I'm sewing a Ray-Way quilt and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Shakedown hike coming up in March ... yay! :banana:banana

surefoot
01-26-2008, 23:39
Hey warraghiyagey, Tried the address you gave me but it came back undeliverable. Do you have another address or phone number maybe?
Thanks

sourkraut
01-26-2008, 23:41
when are you planning on starting and Where!!!

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:43
Hey warraghiyagey, Tried the address you gave me but it came back undeliverable. Do you have another address or phone number maybe?
Thanks
Try this one. It just worked for me. Not sure what's up with the other one but it didn't work for me either.
Try this - www.appalachiantraillodge.com (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/):)

Montego
01-26-2008, 23:46
Welcome to WhiteBlaze sourkraut :welcome

warraghiyagey
01-26-2008, 23:47
when are you planning on starting and Where!!!
Who??
Oh . . . and :welcome:welcome:sun

surefoot
01-27-2008, 00:06
That one worked. Thanks

sourkraut, if you were asking me, I am looking to get from Bangor airport to Baxter State Park June 6th.
And welcome.

naturejunkie
02-11-2008, 11:06
I believe I'll be in Millinocket on June 21. Hopefully Summit Katahdin on the 22nd and head South on the 23rd. Three weeks later than last year, but it still works. Look forward to seeing everyone. Peace.

warraghiyagey
02-11-2008, 11:57
I believe I'll be in Millinocket on June 21. Hopefully Summit Katahdin on the 22nd and head South on the 23rd. Three weeks later than last year, but it still works. Look forward to seeing everyone. Peace.Don't let that first log crossing spook you.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gif
Have a great hike Chris.:sun

naturejunkie
02-11-2008, 12:23
Slimy wet logs = zero traction. :eek: